View Full Version : Opera for s60

murrayalex
04-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi there..I just got my first symbian phone, an N80, last week after having used a treo 650 and am just getting used to it...so far I have to say it's a great device. I have read elsewhere that Opera is preinstalled on the N80 (opera's website) but as usual Orange have decimated it's functionality by having that awful launch page. I have downloaded the latest version of opera 8.6 and it is easier to use and of course has none of that Orange stuff on it...I am just wondering a couple of things;
- has anyone managed to improve the inbuilt browser by making it less Orangey
- are there any other good browsers out there?
- what are your experiences so far of the existing in built browser?
I'm just wondering if it is worth it, or a little stupid, to splash out on the 8.6 version of Opera

LesLesleyson
04-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Opera is not preinstalled on the N80. I think the 'Orangey' browser you are referring to is the WAP browser (found under 'Services'). The inbuilt Nokia proper Web browser (under 'Web') has no Orange customisation and is, in my opinion, far superior to Opera.

bjarke
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Opera is not preinstalled on the N80. I think the 'Orangey' browser you are referring to is the WAP browser (found under 'Services'). The inbuilt Nokia proper Web browser (under 'Web') has no Orange customisation and is, in my opinion, far superior to Opera.
I agree, Nokia's new browser is much better than opera

murrayalex
04-06-2006, 06:57 PM
thanks...if you go to this http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/#s60 you will see that the N70 for example comes preinstalled with Opera mobile..I assumed that the N80 would also have it

spidermunky
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
To be honest I do really like the new browser but opera is much better at handling files from websites as well as being more compatible and offering more than one viewing mode. I can't for example, check my internet banking with the nokia browser because it doesn't handle cookies properly but I can with the opera browser.

Joar
06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I must say that when first comparing the Opera browser vs. the new Nokia browser, the Nokia browser might appear better. The minimap feature looks really cool.

However, I think you should actually try to use the two browsers side by side for a while to find which one you like best. I think Opera is superior to the Nokia browser due to the following:

- Opera has small screen rending (SSR) as well as full "desktop browser" view like the Nokia browser has. "Desktop browser view" isnt all that useful if you are actually going to read anything in the browser. A browser without SSR is thus a no-go for me, and probably it will be a long time, if ever, before the Nokia browser will have this feature.

- Opera is slightly faster, and I occationally experienced problems with the nokia browser running out of memory on my 3250 (this has yet to happen with Opera on the same pages...). Ok, so out of memory might not be a problem on the N80, but it might be a problem on complicated pages...

- Opera runs most pages without any problems, wheras the Nokia browser occtionally stumbles.

You mention that Opera is free for the N70. This is correct, but this deal was not prolonged to include the N80 (or any of the other S60 v3 phones). The major drawback with Opera is thus that you will have to pay to use it. In my eyes it is worth it, but you will have to see for yourself. You can download and try Opera for 1 month for free.

Btw. the Opera version running on the N70 will run on the N80, but there seems to be some small problems with the page scrolling on the N80 when running this version. A version for the N80 is apparently being developed.