View Full Version : N80 SatNav

JB7uk
30-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi All,

I understand that Tomtom mobile as it stands currently will not function on the N80 due to it being a series60 v3 phone, but it will be available sometime in the future as and when they release the new/updated version of the software....

However, are there ANY SatNav apps that will work on the N80 which are available now? i.e. something i can use in the meantime while we wait for a compatible version of Tomtom Mobile??

Cheers,

JB7.

JB7uk
31-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Anyone? :con?

Rafe
31-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Nothing public yet, there are at least 5 due to be released shortly.

JB7uk
31-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks Rafe - looks like i was a bit too eager in rushing out and buying a shiny new Bluetooth GPS receiver / car holder / large mem card then! D'oh! :(

Rafe
31-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't think it will be too long :) In the mean time you can always fill the card up with music!

I think wayfinder.com may be first off the blocks, or possibly Route 66.

Rafe
31-05-2006, 12:46 PM
You might want to check out:
http://www.nav4all.com/

Java, but should work.

JB7uk
31-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Cool, cheers for that one Rafe, had a quick look just now and it seems their N80 version is "coming soon" as well, but i'll give it a bash via visiting the browser etc when i get home later.

Hopefully it wont be long before the Tomtom people get th bnew version out, that would be my prefered software as i've used it a lot before. bet its the last to be released though eh!

Cheers.

Resonate1
01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Wayfinder does say its compatible with the 6280.

Well if it works on the 6280 then it works on the N80 cos they are the same OS as far as im aware

Resonate1
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
OK Scrap that im talking crap

The_Poet
01-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a tomtom 700 I have no intention of using the N80 for satnav for obvious reasons, the only time I'd use it on the N80 is on foot in a city.

If you have satnav for a vehicle a la TomTom and others stick to them, it makes sense to use their battery and the cars rather than run down your phone. I hope that TomTom announce the N80 as a bluetooth phone soon if they havent already for voice dialling and text.

0b1
15-06-2006, 03:30 PM
has anyone found a compatable GPS package?

was looking at the navicore bluetooth package on cd/dvd. but have conflicting info on compatabilty

anyone got this package? does it work with n80?

Rafe
15-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Navicore - not yet as far as I know.

H_H
14-07-2006, 12:21 PM
F.Y.I.

I spoke to Navicore support yesterday (14 July 2006). They said that the Navicore Software (Navicore Personal 2006/1) is already ready and available for N80 (S60 v3/ Symbian 9.1) but that there is an issue with the bluetooth. They did not speculate on whether it was the phone (device) itself or their software or even their GPS receiver that was the problem. Nor did they not speculate in when it would be released but from talking to them I got the impression (reading between lines) that it would not be ready in July. They did not explain the nature of the problem but said that they did not think using a different GPS receiver would help in anyway. Which suggests that it is either the N80 Device itself, the symbian OS or some protocol incompabilities (?!) that are to blame.

I then called Nokia support (Club Nokia) to check if they knew anything about bluetooth problems on N80. They did not and referred to their website and to check for the recommended satnav S/W listed for their own 3W GPS module. Really the only "fully fledged" one available was Route66.

Based on Reviews, I am keeping a cautios stance towards Route66, which seems to have a hiccup with updating the map images and also dropping connections (maybe related to the bluetooth issue?). Wayfinder is out of the picture because I don't want to be dependent of any GPRS network and wyafinder’s own dedicated server for route calculation (what if any of them is down?). Not to mention the never ending total cost of using this solution.

So...all I want is for the N80, GPS module + S/W and the satellites to do all the work (no middle men/women). If a satellite is down, we know that the States will fix it quickly because otherwise they Yank's (no offence intended - just a joke) won't find their local McDonald’s) and will starve... ;-)

Conclusion: Maybe all the major SatNav vendors are having the same bluetooth issues and are not prepared to release their products until it is completely resolved?!?!?

If anyone has any info, news, suggestions or speculations then do let me know...

Regards,

HH

derekpicton
15-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi I have just purchased Co Pilot live 6 for my N 80 and found it wil not load the software I was told it would work on the N 70 so should work on the N80 rang the support and was told they do not support the N 80 so I will have to send it back and get a refund on reading your message i was wondering if you did find Sat Nav for the N 80 if so what make is it

Cheers Derek

Cash
15-08-2006, 11:56 AM
F.Y.I.

I spoke to Navicore support yesterday (14 July 2006). They said that the Navicore Software (Navicore Personal 2006/1) is already ready and available for N80 (S60 v3/ Symbian 9.1) but that there is an issue with the bluetooth. They did not speculate on whether it was the phone (device) itself or their software or even their GPS receiver that was the problem. Nor did they not speculate in when it would be released but from talking to them I got the impression (reading between lines) that it would not be ready in July. They did not explain the nature of the problem but said that they did not think using a different GPS receiver would help in anyway. Which suggests that it is either the N80 Device itself, the symbian OS or some protocol incompabilities (?!) that are to blame.

I then called Nokia support (Club Nokia) to check if they knew anything about bluetooth problems on N80. They did not and referred to their website and to check for the recommended satnav S/W listed for their own 3W GPS module. Really the only "fully fledged" one available was Route66.

Based on Reviews, I am keeping a cautios stance towards Route66, which seems to have a hiccup with updating the map images and also dropping connections (maybe related to the bluetooth issue?). Wayfinder is out of the picture because I don't want to be dependent of any GPRS network and wyafinder’s own dedicated server for route calculation (what if any of them is down?). Not to mention the never ending total cost of using this solution.

So...all I want is for the N80, GPS module + S/W and the satellites to do all the work (no middle men/women). If a satellite is down, we know that the States will fix it quickly because otherwise they Yank's (no offence intended - just a joke) won't find their local McDonald’s) and will starve... ;-)

Conclusion: Maybe all the major SatNav vendors are having the same bluetooth issues and are not prepared to release their products until it is completely resolved?!?!?

If anyone has any info, news, suggestions or speculations then do let me know...

Regards,

HH

There is an issue with the bluetooth on the N80, as far as I know Nokia are aware and are working on this and there should be a fix in the next f/w release.

You are correct in saying that some..if not all satnav vendors will not put the N80 in their compatibility lits untill this problem is resolved.

Please note the following email recieved from Route 66:
Dear Sir,

The N80 has problems with buetooth and memory due to the firmware of the phone. We have confirmation from Nokia that this problem is caused by BT power consumption reduction change which was introduced in the latest firmware. Nokia is working on a fix that will be published shortly. So that is why we took N80 out of the list of compatible phones. As soon as the firmaware will be ready we hope that N80 will then work with no problems with our Mobile 7 S60 V2/3 Software.

Kind regards,

Manuela HACK

Customer Support

TazUk
15-08-2006, 12:55 PM
There is an issue with the bluetooth on the N80, as far as I know Nokia are aware and are working on this and there should be a fix in the next f/w release.

Just a note on this thread (I've posted this on other SatNav related threads in this forum) that v3.0614.03 11/04/2006 RM92 firmware doesn't have this issue. Both Nav4All and Wayfinder (trial) work without issue on my n80 with this firmware. To install Nav4All just go direct to the www.nav4all.com/install address on the N80 browser.

It's nice to see that some of the GPS software publishers have updated their sites to show that they are aware of this issue..

Cash
15-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Just a note on this thread (I've posted this on other SatNav related threads in this forum) that v3.0614.03 11/04/2006 RM92 firmware doesn't have this issue. Both Nav4All and Wayfinder (trial) work without issue on my n80 with this firmware. To install Nav4All just go direct to the www.nav4all.com/install address on the N80 browser.

It's nice to see that some of the GPS software publishers have updated their sites to show that they are aware of this issue..

Sure...it did mention in the letter that I posted from route 66 that it was a problem with the latest firmware,

Good though to make it a little clearer :)