View Full Version : Text input for other langugages.

rcastberg
29-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi,

Does anybody have an idea on how to get an effective text input for languages other than those supported by the firmware?

Reason For asking: I am trilingual, Speaking Norwegian, Dutch and English, and use these languages on a regular basis to communicate with friends and family. I find the multitap a bit slow compared to T9 input, that along with the fact that i am dyslexic (T9 then serves as a kind of spell check)

I was hoping that it would have been possible to install these dictionaries at a later stage, but according to Nokia this isn't possible. Does anybody know of an input solution that could work (Apart from external keyboards)?

Regards

René

Resonate1
29-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Your in luck.

Check out my firmware flashing thread to update your firmware.

The have a language file V03 - Danish, English, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish which covers all the languages you need.

Flash it with that an the new updated firmware.

rcastberg
29-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks,
but i currently have the V03 firmware, but unfortunately it doesn't cover the dutch part of my requirement.

René

rcastberg
30-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Hello agian,

I stumbeled across a program called input+ by shape.
Input+ (http://www.shapeservices.com/eng/im/INPUT/s60.php)
Since this application is only availible for S60v1/2 i was wondering if anybody has some experience with this app, or for that matter knows a similar product for S60v3

Thanks

René

childoftheworld
16-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm still trying to solve this problem.

I bought an N80 from the Philippines, original version was APAC so it had Chinese. I had to flash it using Pheonix to the Philippines Region because I need the T9 for the Philippines, even if I live in NA.

I have the same problem, being multi-lingual... I need T9 and language files for various languages, i.e., French, Thai, Chinese, Spanish.... but since I have flashed my phone to Region 12 v4.0623.41, there is no known way to add a T9 language... and even worse... I do not even have the font for reading Chinese. Duh.... :hmpf:

:pcguru:

So... I read in some posts in Chinese/Japanese about the .ccc font files. I was only looking for the TTF file, i.e., S60SNR.ttf... etc which themselves are Unicode Fonts.... to make the story short...

I placed the .ttf and the .ccc fonts I found in the S60 3rd SDK from Nokia into e:\resource\fonts but no luck... so I am thinking I am missing something.

I think these needs to be placed in c:\, yet while using Y-Browser, I see almost nothing n c:\resource... must be really hidden...

Well... I got an idea today, I browsed through the SDK files again and found all the T9 DLLs, RSCs, fonts.... and I am hoping to understand which files are related to which files... and then maybe later on... figure out where to install them using a Signed SIS file... because I think this is the only way you can install files into c:\

C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\ud eb\z\resource

Anyone who has courage or more brains.... Please share ideas before execution. I do not want to end up with a dead phone.

rcastberg
16-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Well since you are copying to the c drive i doubt that you will have a permanant loss of your phone, because all you would have to do is a hardreset(wiping c) (Correct me if i am wrong)
But i have my doubt since i think that the phone should some or other way be told that it needs touse these files. But one thing you might want to check is which format these dll's are compiled for, since i thought that most of the stuff is compile for an emulator format....

But it sounds very interesting, keep us informed.

René

boriskov
06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Does the n80 come with t9 spanish???

thank you

SpeTz
06-02-2007, 07:01 PM
If your phone is the right code it should have spanish, you can reflash your phone to different countries and having those codes(Check out the thread with upgrading your phone to IE) I flashed my phone to ukrainian code which includes most eastern european countries.

N/A
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Note that SDK emulator DLLs and other executables are Windows/Intel binaries and will not run on Symbian/ARM.

childoftheworld
27-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh! Such a hassle Nokia & Symbian.

After so much research, I noticed that someone in www.wda.com.cn posted that he/she was able to change the font in the N80IE (non-Chinese) version to read Chinese just by placing 'fonts' in E:\Resource\Fonts...

I had the N80 v. 4.0623.0.41 RM 12 APAC. I tried the suggested 'fix' and it did not work. The XBDL.TTF trick did not work either.

It seems that v.4.0623.0.41 RM12 APAC did not allow this.

Noting that the user in wda.com.cn said that his/her phone was N80IE, I re-flashed my phone using Pheonix/Diego to N80IE v.4.0623.0.38 with Philippine/Malaysia/Indonesia RM 12 T9 support.

Then I installed the fonts provided in www.wda.com.cn and it worked. Voilà!

So... to be able to change fonts to allow the viewing of other languages...

1) Re-flash your phone to desired Region Code of N80IE v.4.0623.0.38 (Search Google) ... do not ever re-flash your N80 firmware back to v3.X.XXXX.X.XX since these versions are very buggy.

2) Get a font face that has the most complete font set (I like Arial Unicode MS or Code 2000)

3) Find Font Creator 5.0 by High-Logic...

4) Make a copy of the original font X 4. Need to have 4 Copies.

5) Using Font Creator... rename the areas that contain font names to

- Series 60 Sans Regular (Family: Series 60 Sans)
- Series 60 SansB Regular (Family: Series 60 SansB)
- Series 60 Sans SemiBold (Family: Series 60 Sans)
- Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd (Family: Series 60 Sans TitleSmBd)

Then, place these 4 renamed fonts to E:\Resource\Fonts, reboot phone. Use card reader to access E:\Resource\Fonts to place or delete font files.

No guarantee. You are held liable if you re-flash your phone. Once you re-flash it, warranty is over. Read important (Google It) info about reflashing your S60 3rd Ed Phone.