View Full Version : N80 WIFI (airport express)

larhan
29-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Hi all,

I have my new N80 and would like to have it log on to the company network but it doesn't even find the access point:(

Has anybody had similar experiences? We are using an airport express with WPA/SK to extend our network on each floor. I've got all the relevant information from the IT department but it just doesn't connect.

At home I'm using a Linksys router with WEP encryption and it took me 2 min to have it working.

Any ideas?

Thanks

/Lars

superleccy
29-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I have my N80 communicating with my home Airport Express network just fine. Try the following. You may need to double-check a few things with your IT dept.

1. If you cannot even see the network, them maybe they are not broadcasting the SSID (in Airport Express terminology, this would mean they've set up a "closed network"). If this is the case, your N80 won't see the network when you do a search for WLAN. You have to manually setup an access point using Tools > Settings > Connection > Access Points > etc.

2. Check to see if the network is using MAC address filtering. If so, you need to give your IT dept the MAC address of your N80, which can be found dialling *#62209526#. Warning... some N80s (including mine) actually incorrectly report the MAC address with this method. If you think yours is affected, then you should be able to get the real MAC address by looking at the status of your Linksys router at home.

HTH & GL!
SL

larhan
29-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback.

I've already set up the wlan in the access points option and since we do have mac filtering I'll check the mac address from my Linksys...I'm really hoping this is the problem

larhan
31-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I actually got it working now:)

My device was reporting the correct MAC address. Our administrator had to fine tune some settings in the access point to get it working (Not quite sure what changes though).

I also had to reset my phone which also might have helped the problem a bit. It got a bit confused with missing access points.

Thanks

/Lars