View Full Version : Remote desktop

jc_uk
24-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Just got my N80 - very impressed so far.

Is there anything out there like 'remote desktop' for the N80, similar to that available for WinCE PDAs?

I use a laptop for work most of the day and it would be great to have an emulation/log in to the phone from the laptop and be able to use the keyboard/mouse/display from the laptop to drive the N80. Over wireless this would be perfect.,....

Any suggestions?
Many thanks
jc_uk

wireplay
24-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Would have been quicker to type that into google though ;-)

http://www.symbiangear.com/product.html?pid=18919,18926,92286

LesLesleyson
24-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Has anyone used this? I can't help thinking that a Java app might be pretty slow for this purpose.

jc_uk
24-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Has anyone tried this software on the N80?

If so how did it work - good, or slow?

regards
jc_uk

jc_uk
24-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi again,

The software suggested is the wrong way round.
What i would like to do is use my laptop screen, keyboard, mouse to drive the N80...... Not use the N80 as a terminal to access the laptop.....

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
jc_uk

neilmallon
24-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Wait for the next version of "Remote S60" to control the phone from the PC. To control the PC from the phone try the java VNC client j2meVNC.

Thanks

Neil

livfc
24-05-2006, 08:55 PM
You could try www.logmein.com - its a web based interface meaning you can do all the things you need whether with your phone or at a remote PC. I have it installed and it works a treat.

wireplay
26-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Interesting - I tried log me in and whilst I managed to login and could see everything perfectly, when I scrolled down to the bottom right etc. and then tried to scroll back to the top left of the screen, the screen jumped back to where I had just come from.

This made it useless for me, which is a shame as I use LogMeIn on all my servers.

I would be interested to know what settings you have on the phone and the PC you are connecting to.

For some reason, my phone comes up and says that the page requires activeX (which I know the N80 won't support) or JAVA - JAVA should be supported, but it just isnt kicking in on my N80, so LogMeIn is going to use the HTML version. Do you get this message or is there a JAVA problem on my phone?

wireplay
26-05-2006, 09:50 AM
out of interest, 'Remote Desktop' is phone TO PC not the other way round - there is a standard protocol called RDP which Windows uses, so if anyone is searching for a control system for the N80, this is not the right term.