View Full Version : Play in slider mechanism

Woollie
23-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I have side to side movement between the top and bottom halves of my N80 when it is in the closed position. Does anyone else have this or should I exchange it for a new unit? thanks. Simon

Woollie
23-05-2006, 04:55 PM
No-one got an N80 then?

Ratkat
23-05-2006, 05:12 PM
It seems to be normal, mine moves about 1mm approx, my brothers is the same, and his mate at works does the same as well.

I went through the the same 'is mine the only one syndrome' last week

Woollie
23-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Appreciate the reply. A bit annoying and I hope it won't get even looser with use. I read in another forum somewhere that one person had one that was very tight.

Perhaps it is worth going to the Orange store to try a few and see if there is much sample variation, although you seem to have a fair sample that you mentioned that all have the side to side play.

Simon

KROSS
23-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Mine is the same, and so is my friends

Woollie
23-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks Kross. Guess I'll live with it then.

Simon

wireplay
24-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I have a small amount as well, about 1-2mm max

Woollie
24-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks wireplay. I went to the Orange store this morning and looked at another N80. It also has about 1-2mm of lateral side play, but I did notice that when opening and closing the slider it was more stiff that mine. Still easy to push open but definitely slightly stiffer. The chap in the shop said that even when they start that way they become looser with use and would probably end up like the one that I have.

Not sure if it is worth changing mine. I have not had a slider phone before so I don't know whether he is correct or whether it is worth me getting the other one with the slightly stiffer slide action.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Simon

KROSS
24-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I have had loads of nokia phones, 7650,3650,7610,6630,N70 and now N80. My theory is that there are certain people who get bugged easy with little flaws when their phones are new. When I bought my 7650 (first day it came out), it started to develop fluff under the screen, I was all paranoid and looking on these forums, asking questions...should I take it apart? should I take it back to the shop?, but eventually, after a few weeks, when my phone wasn't new any more, I relaxed a bit more and it didnt seem a problem anymore. Same with my 7610 (dead pixel), and N80 (slider play). What im trying to say is, When your phone is brand new, its very precious to you, and any little bug is annoying, but when you find out that alot of other people have the same problem, it doesn't make it a problem anymore. When I showed my girlfriend the side to side movement, she told me not to be so F"$%king rediculous, and if I took it back to the shop, they would laugh at me. So my advise is to just chill out !!!!! and forget about it.

Woollie
24-05-2006, 03:51 PM
LOL!!! You have a very wise girlfriend. I shall heed your/her advice and just be happy I got the phone.

Simon

Ratkat
24-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I have had loads of nokia phones, 7650,3650,7610,6630,N70 and now N80. My theory is that there are certain people who get bugged easy with little flaws when their phones are new. When I bought my 7650 (first day it came out), it started to develop fluff under the screen, I was all paranoid and looking on these forums, asking questions...should I take it apart? should I take it back to the shop?, but eventually, after a few weeks, when my phone wasn't new any more, I relaxed a bit more and it didnt seem a problem anymore. Same with my 7610 (dead pixel), and N80 (slider play). What im trying to say is, When your phone is brand new, its very precious to you, and any little bug is annoying, but when you find out that alot of other people have the same problem, it doesn't make it a problem anymore. When I showed my girlfriend the side to side movement, she told me not to be so F"$%king rediculous, and if I took it back to the shop, they would laugh at me. So my advise is to just chill out !!!!! and forget about it.

Well said, I worried out about mine for a few days, no I'm more worried about getting a firmware upgrade to cure the memory problems

aezs
27-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I fixed the play by appllying a little masking tape (1mm wide) into the slider rail on both side. , tuck them in. then ur N80 will be solid as rock.:)

KROSS
27-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I fixed the play by appllying a little masking tape (1mm wide) into the slider rail on both side. , tuck them in. then ur N80 will be solid as rock.:)
would rather leave it the way it is than have masking tape on my phone :redface:

splash_mark
27-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi guys,

the n80's in italy and germany have all the same problem. It's a bit annoing but the memory problem sucks me more: Get memoryerror even when i don't using any application.... FW= 3.0614.0.3. Can't wait to but on the new one. Anyway i've got another question about the blue led. It's starting to flash after a few minutes of standby and the display doesn't show the screensaver anymore. Normal or bug?

Thanks for any replay :cool:

Woollie
28-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Normal. The phone goes into a sleep mode and the blue LED is letting you know that it is still on.

Simon