View Full Version : Browsing a computor on Wireless network possible with N80

cbr6fs
19-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Hi Guys,

Im looking for a new phone and have narrowed it down to 3.

One criteria i am interested in is the ability to browse a computor on a wireless network.

I would like to open various documents, mp3's and videos.

Is this possible with the N80?

Cheers.

Telumehtar
19-05-2006, 09:43 AM
According to the tutorial "WLAN at home" on the phone, you can transfer files to and from your computer via WLAN. It looks to me that this is done via SMB (i.e. folder sharing), and works in both directions. But I haven't tried it (yet).

cbr6fs
19-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

So can you actually browse the folders on the computor?

Cheers

GazP
19-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes, once you have set up your Wifi, you can goto home network wizard and it adds a folder in the gallery.

Goto Gallery and select Home Network, from here you can browse the shared folders on your pcs.

cbr6fs
19-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks,
Thats great, really useful.

Has anyone actually played MP3's Vids etc from PC?

Cheers

bjarke
19-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Wow, i didn't even know it supported that! So, can you just choose an mp3 file from your PC and then play it on the n80?

rcastberg
19-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi,

I don't think that this works with smb, at least form my testing.
It looks like it is working on the upnp protocol.

If i am wrong, i would love it if somebody corrected me.

Regards

René

GazP
19-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Once my wifi was finally sorted, I tried the home network wizard which added the shortcut in gallery, and when i clicked on that i see a screen that sais "Waiting on devices"

after a few seconds a list appears with:

Main:1:Windows Media Connect

(Which is Xbox360 sharing software) ... But when I click it it crashes and returns to gallery. None of my local shares are shown..

BUT...

Using Abyss Webserver, or any webserver... Install it on the PC and set its http_docs folder to your documents or whatever you want to share.

Now in Web browser on N80, browse to your webserver at your PCs IP address, and you can see all the folders listed. This is tried and tested and works well!! Find an MP3 file and it will cache it and play it. It asks you if you want to save it after you close it... Find a jpg and it opens it in a new window, open closing that tab/window it will prompt to save or delete. I have not yet tried office docs, but i presume they would open up in quickoffice....

Problem solved!!

bjarke
20-05-2006, 06:08 AM
So it doesn't work with widows connect?

LesLesleyson
20-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I got the home network setup and can browse to media on my PC, but if I try and play the media it starts playing on my PC, not on the phone... you can copy media from the PC to the phone, but as far as I can tell you cannot stream media from your PC to the phone - is this right?

cbr6fs
20-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know if it's just me.
But to able to browse computors over a wireless network either at home or work using my phone would be extremly useful.

Im sure it's not just my office thats near on completly covered by a wireless network, may times i'll be in a meeting or in someone else's office and want some data located on my PC.

It would also be nice to be able to play MP3's stored on my home PC through my phone.

I guess it's not something that Nokia think people want.

Cheers

LesLesleyson
20-05-2006, 11:22 PM
You can do that - copying data from your PC to the N80 over wifi is supported no problem. I would just like the ability to stream stuff via wifi from my pc to the phone - without having to copy it to the phone (so for example I could have my phone pluggged into the hifi downstairs and listen to the music from my PC upstairs)... I don't think this is currently supported, but I imagine it is only a matter of time before someone writes something to do this.

lbeetles
23-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I have a linksys WAG54GS and XAMPP web server installed and i can't for the life of me get the gallery to detect any home network, has anyone had any luck with this yet?

LesLesleyson
24-05-2006, 08:34 AM
If you want the gallery to detect your files on the home network you'll need to install the Nokia home network server software from the website specified on the N80's installation CD.

To access your files through a webserver you'll have to use the web browser and select files that way - as far as I'm aware they'll only show up in the gallery if you use the Nokia home network server software.

lbeetles
24-05-2006, 08:56 AM
cheers i will have a look at the CD that came with the N80.

lbeetles
27-05-2006, 12:28 AM
i was using Windows Media Centre, but i have not changed to normal Windows and it works fine.

octheme
27-05-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a linksys WAG54GS and XAMPP web server installed and i can't for the life of me get the gallery to detect any home network, has anyone had any luck with this yet?

I had loads of probs doing this, I had the phone using the wireless lan to browse the internet no problem, but it just would not show in the gallery > home network... UNTIL ... basically you have to add the Mac address of the phone (get by pressing *#62209526#) to the wireless router config as Allow in the Access List. Everything should work now.

nickprice
27-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I've found this aspect fustrating. One of the resons I chose the N80 was for the uPnP support. The phone finds my computer with Home Media Server running but none of the ones with Windows Media Connect (WMC). Surely it should be compatiable with WMC? I have once or twice found the computer running WMC but cannot access it.

I am tempted to try the web server route but I wanted the ability to beam pics to my friends computers if they started up WMC (most people will have this installed). Requiring 3rd party software defeats the whole point?

pvolpe
16-06-2006, 07:16 PM
I got the home network setup and can browse to media on my PC, but if I try and play the media it starts playing on my PC, not on the phone... you can copy media from the PC to the phone, but as far as I can tell you cannot stream media from your PC to the phone - is this right?

I have exactly the same problem. I can't get it to stream through the phone at all. Anyone have a solution?

Cash
16-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I have exactly the same problem. I can't get it to stream through the phone at all. Anyone have a solution?

Ok it may not be a solution to your problem, but its a work around.

If you are connected to the net, then install orb (www.orb.com) and you will be able to stream all your media, pictures, music, video and live tv over the net to your N80.

pvolpe
16-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok it may not be a solution to your problem, but its a work around.

If you are connected to the net, then install orb (www.orb.com) and you will be able to stream all your media, pictures, music, video and live tv over the net to your N80.

don't you need to have your computer connected to a tv input though or can you just use it as a host for our 3gp files?

Cash
16-06-2006, 07:29 PM
don't you need to have your computer connected to a tv input though or can you just use it as a host for our 3gp files?

if you want to stream live tv yes you have to have a TV card in your PC, but all other files will stream if you dont have a TV card

pvolpe
16-06-2006, 07:31 PM
if you want to stream live tv yes you have to have a TV card in your PC, but all other files will stream if you dont have a TV card

thanks, I'll give this a try.

Cash
16-06-2006, 07:33 PM
thanks, I'll give this a try.

Ok..it works real well because you can stream to your N80 anywhere you can find a wifi hotspot or a wireless network

pvolpe
16-06-2006, 07:42 PM
sounds neat.

I have cable tv and my feed goes directly to my cable box. If I bypass the digibox then I only get a few channels. One of my feeds is set up through a modem and then to a wireless router for my broadband supply - I am assuming that I will have to feed an independant cable from my wall to the tv input on the computer.

I wonder if I can use an s-video cable from my tv to my laptop? and then stream this?

caspre12
01-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Would it be possible to stream something like the channel4 simulcast to your N80 using Orb?

Cash
02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Would it be possible to stream something like the channel4 simulcast to your N80 using Orb?

As long as you have a compatable TV card for orb in your PC and orb installed you will be able to stream any TV channel to your N80 through Orb

TazUk
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Just my 2 cents here re media..

Finished installing a Buffalo LinkStation Home Server NAS 300GB (model HS-D300GL) on my home network last weekend - once I'd setup the built in DLNA compliant media server (PCCast) I was able to browse media via the N80 and copy photos etc to the phone. Bit of a bonus as I was mainly interested in the product for common backup and storage of files from other PCs round the house..

I haven't got as far as checking out streaming etc but I'll tack the results onto this thread when I do. Only limitations I've spotted so far is that the current (linkstation) firmware only permits one folder being setup for streaming..

alfa145
04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Just been playing, looks like the n80 doesn't support smb, so no browsing to a windows machine. I ran a quick port scan against the IP of the phone on the wlan - it returns ping but all ports tcp & udp are shut.

Wonder how long it'll be before something whether malicious or not installs an ftp/telnet/remote control shell.

scad2k
05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
can some one give a step-by-step guide for doing this?

LesLesleyson
05-07-2006, 10:27 PM

I am not that comfortable with using Orb as it is pretty resource heavy, and also I don't like the idea of some website having a list of all my files on record so for these reasons I don't use it.

However I found a different piece of free software which sets up a streaming MP3 server on your machine without having to register at a website (http://www.vibestreamer.com/).

This is a pretty good piece of software which uses minimal memory and bandwidth. However I cannot get it to work in the N80s browser (or in Opera) if anyone else can manage it I reckon it could be a goer...

Cash
06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
I am not that comfortable with using Orb as it is pretty resource heavy, and also I don't like the idea of some website having a list of all my files on record so for these reasons I don't use it.

However I found a different piece of free software which sets up a streaming MP3 server on your machine without having to register at a website (http://www.vibestreamer.com/).

This is a pretty good piece of software which uses minimal memory and bandwidth. However I cannot get it to work in the N80s browser (or in Opera) if anyone else can manage it I reckon it could be a goer...

I dont find orb recorce heavy at all, it happily sits running all day and I have no probs with the speed or operation of my computer

The great thing I like about orb is thats its very simple to set up and you can view almost any type of file, but I think vibestreamer is limited to music isn't it.

I am not sure but I dont think that the developers of orb have a list of your files, and if they do I think it would be impractible for them to have a sneaky look at the millions of people who use this service.

Orb for me is great because it allows me to watch movies and live TV on my phone anywhere I wish as long as I have a connection.

cheers for the link, will have a look to see if I can get it to work.

Cash
06-07-2006, 08:58 AM

I can access the program in my web browser and see the folders I selected, but cant open them or see any music.

I think this may be because the mobile browsers are not supported, the N80 browser doesn't allow me to click on any of my folders to open them up :( apart from that it looks like it could be a good way to stream music when they get it to work.

and I am also convinced that this is a problem with the way the flash music player works in the web browser because it doesn't load, it may be a limitation of the flash lite that is installed on the N80.

so unless vibestreamer redesign the web browser to rectify these issue's I dont think it will work. I have raised the issue on the vibestreamer forum, so hopefully a solution can be found.

BlackN91
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Guys,
Im looking for a new phone and have narrowed it down to 3.
One criteria i am interested in is the ability to browse a computer on a wireless network.
I would like to open various documents, mp3's and videos.
Is this possible with the N80?
Cheers.

Unfortunately having the right phone is not enough as you need special software as well.

One of the options is SymSMB v.2.00.
The trial version download is available on official site here. (http://www.telexy.com/)
With this application you will able to browse network files using your phone.
Also you can do the opposite - browse phone files from computer.
As about opening files, then this application will not do it for you if we are talking about using phone to open network file.
In opposite direction all will work fine, you can use computer to open file located on phone.

who_giv3s_a_fuk
30-09-2009, 10:46 PM
hi can some one help me with my nokia n80 i cant stream on my cell i want to b able to watch youtube or videos online can some one help me please????