View Full Version : N80 Video Encoding / Playback

GazP
17-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi, ive been trying to convert videos / films for use on my N80... and found that the max video resolution that will play is 352x288.

Why is it not capable of playing full screen 416x352... Does anybody know a way of making this work, or a different video player application that might work? I know theres not much software currently available for the N80.. it sucks!

Well anyway, I am using imToo Mpeg converter, and these are the best settings i have found work on the N80 >

Video Codec : Mpeg4
Video Size : 352x288
Bitrate : 512 - 1024 both give great results, but greatly change filesize.
Frame Rate : Auto
Aspect : Auto
Bitrate Tol. : 20
Same Quality : False

Audio Codec : Mpeg4aac
Bitrate : 48
Sample Rate : 48000
Channels : 2 Stereo
Disable Audio : False

I've converted hour long episodes of Top Gear, Prison Break etc... and they look amazing on the phone.... Cartoons like Simpsons, which usually pose trouble when encoding for devices, as large areas of colour tend to go blotchy... but with these settings they look DVD Quality on such a nice screen.

I believe the Video Ipod's screen resolution is only 320x240, which means playing videos on this phone gives higher quality video but on a smaller screen..

Anyway, please let me know if there is a better way of getting videos to play!

And also, someone needs to start a list of all n80 software available... that would be great!

fannypad
18-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the info :)

What framerate are the files ending up with? Have you tried leaving those settings intact and setting the framerate to 24 for films and 25/30 for TV shows?

I'm very interested to know how the N80 copes with playing back high bitrate CIF/QVGA resolution video at 24-30fps.

Thanks in advance

calypso501
20-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Hi there, I'm also having trouble playing videos on the N80. I have download imToo convertor and followed the same settings you had listed but the phone keeps displaying "unable to play media clip" I have tried about 5 different encoders and all give me the same result on the phone. Not sure what to do...Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks Nick.

fdxd
20-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi there, I'm also having trouble playing videos on the N80. I have download imToo convertor and followed the same settings you had listed but the phone keeps displaying "unable to play media clip" I have tried about 5 different encoders and all give me the same result on the phone. Not sure what to do...Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks Nick.

Yeah i ended up using Super