View Full Version : Ok Ive got 1

fireslguk
07-05-2006, 10:42 AM
:confused: :dontknow:

Hi there folks, ive had my nokia for a couple days now and are unsure about it.
this is the first time i have had a nokia phone so wasnt used to the menu system etc.

i have been used to sony ericcson for a while and then samsung d 500 which i found great.

i am with carphone warehouse who let me have the phone for 39.99 with 150 cashback and 14 day change of mind which is good. my wife has the samsung d 600 chrome which i must admit do like.

anyway the nokia is a slide version, bit thick but still looks smart. ok we all have dropped our phone at some stage but it sort of makes u feel that it wouldnt be good idea as it feels bit heavy and could do some serious damage.

The battery lasted about 9 hrs but hey i was on it most of the day playing with all the features etc.

The screen resolution is fantastic.Its like a pda.

The camera needs a bit of playing around in order to get a good pic to display good on your pc. Display on phone - brilliant. The pics are bit tempremental as it doesnt have auto focus, I found the landscape shooting mode did a good pic of my neighbourhood. Need good light for decent pic taking, so during the day with max light the best. Ive taken loads pics and video clips now and all varyed in quality. I took portrait pics and some better than others, am i trying to compare with a 7 megapixel camera, dont think so, but as i said some pics better than others and you get that haze in the pic in low light conditions as the dpi for all settings is 300 dpi.

Id prefer the phone to lock the keypad auto when you close the phone and not ask u.
Browsing the internet - very good display u see the same as what u would see on a pc.
Set up the phone so i can use my existing router and go online which is handy when at home.
The speaker sound is good, and the ability to connect your headphones or to a hifi by lead is good.

I havent got a wireless media player so cant advise on that wireless side of it. how about the http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318 would that do the job ?

The document viewer is nice n clear but you cannot edit, view only. which is shame as the latest at quickoffice.com edits, done couple e mails to them
to ask if edit version available however both e mails returned, have they stopped trading ?

With word docs it automatically adjusts text so you see all without having to pan screen which is good. excel lets you navigate per cells, powerpoint when you view full screen, shame it doesnt rotate the slide so you see all the slide on mobile screen. you cannot see all the notes on a slide in view notes area.

by the way im not looking for faults on this phone just being factual with my experiences.

shortcut keys are good and you can change. would have like to have pressed and held 1 key (samsung - hash key) to actvate silent vibrate instead of pressing on/off button and selecting profile.

voice command - nice infact very cool, dont need to record own voice, it will recognise and can open applications or contact someone. hold top right key and wait then speak let go.

screen view can be changed you can remove the icons etc but is handy to navigate.

like the calender and view on the standby screen for any appointments

yes 3 mega pixel phone but when playing with samsung d 600 - managed to get same quality pics viewed on pc although samsung takes time to take the pic in high quality mode.

yes like others posts on here i did have the memory problem, said not enough memory etc wouldnt open up a file in word and on internet couldnt display the web page fully, is it like the pc where the phone copies bits to ram then if full doesnt work any other things, anyhow i switched phone off which i presume dumped the memory stuff and it worked ok again but you cant keep doing that, genna contact nokia for advise on that one.

The phone is a more businessy phone pda style with officey features.

The samsung d 600 is a phone but can also display documents just as good.

the phone wanted to send a message originaly to register which was strange but i let it.

the phone did stay connected to router once even though i wasnt browsing, hld down menu button selected and exited did the trick on removing connected icon

if you want anymore info - just ask - message or whatever - liked to hear from others on their experiences !!:icon14:

got only few days left to make decision - do i keep or get the samsung d 600

N/A
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
shortcut keys are good and you can change. would have like to have pressed and held 1 key (samsung - hash key) to actvate silent vibrate instead of pressing on/off button and selecting profile.A long press of the hash key in the standy state will switch between silent/general profiles, your network operator isn't using it for line1/line2 switching.

fireslguk
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
It doesnt - Long press of # = nothing

blkcliostu
07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Which shop did you get it from. Ive been trying for days to get my hands on one

fireslguk
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
got from hedge end, southampton, hampshire. in store

3 concerns i have though at mo

Battery Life.

Fully charged at 0900 hrs today, Now down to 1 bar from flat Battery which i presume will say low at about 1200 hrs. so about 15hrs with not much use today.

Full Internal Memory

Get the message sometimes which doesnt open videos or applications and limits browser pages. why ??

Video Quality

Very Poor For a 3 megapixel / video quality was better on the samsung d 600 on high setting

zainman
08-05-2006, 12:23 AM
can we use that dlink product (the one whose link you posted) to stream live TV to the phone? or to the laptop? i'd appreciate an answer to this one!

FRiC
08-05-2006, 06:22 AM
The D-Link product mentioned above is for streaming audio and video from your computer to your TV or stereo, not the other way around. i.e. it's like a video-out for your computer, but your computer doesn't have to be right next to the TV.

fireslguk
08-05-2006, 07:52 AM
A pic to view which i had to compress slightly from 1 mb to this size to get on this site.

blkcliostu
08-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Full Internal Memory

Get the message sometimes which doesnt open videos or applications and limits browser pages. why ??

You need to exit some of the applications. On my old 7610 if you held down the menu button it gave you a list of applications which were open. To exit them you pressed C.

What network you on?

zainman
08-05-2006, 08:41 AM
The D-Link product mentioned above is for streaming audio and video from your computer to your TV or stereo, not the other way around. i.e. it's like a video-out for your computer, but your computer doesn't have to be right next to the TV.
can there be a product that can be the other way around? and stream TV from the TV to upnp enabled WiFi devices?

fireslguk
08-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Full Internal Memory

You need to exit some of the applications. On my old 7610 if you held down the menu button it gave you a list of applications which were open. To exit them you pressed C.

What network you on?

Hi, i am on 02 cpw, when i check the applications, none are running, and i have ample memory left e.g 33mb. maybe a firemware update will cure

bjarke
08-05-2006, 11:36 AM
can there be a product that can be the other way around? and stream TV from the TV to upnp enabled WiFi devices?
No, but you can do it with your 3g network if you live in the uk by ROK TV

Dr, Who?
08-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Which begs the question if you were close enough to your TV to use wifi why would you want to watch TV on a mobile screen if you could just go next door and see it on your TV??????

If you used your PC as a media centre you could stream data to your phone using a client like Orb, which is free.

zainman
08-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Which begs the question if you were close enough to your TV to use wifi why would you want to watch TV on a mobile screen if you could just go next door and see it on your TV??????

If you used your PC as a media centre you could stream data to your phone using a client like Orb, which is free.
wifi isnt the same as bluetooth u know, the range is extremely good. so i dont think i can answer that. plus. watching TV in the bathroom would be great.

I am waiting though for N/A's reply, i m sure he will be able to answer my question