View Full Version : N91 - Ask Any Questions and I'll (try) to answer

Pages : [1] 2

Rafe
18-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I've been preparing to write an N91 real world article (I'm still going to). One of the thing I wanted to do was offer to answer any question people might have at the tail end of the review. However there's no reason I can't include some of these in the article itself. I'm also limited time wise... so if you have any N91 questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Christian_1
18-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi,
Does the N91 feature a lineinput so you can connect it to your home stereo another audio source and record it into the phone?
Havent found that in the manual.
Many thanks!

mob453
18-04-2006, 09:38 PM
how similar is the keyguard to the 7110's?

does the weight feel centred in your hand?

can you hear the 4gb hdd when using memory intensive applications

jazzy1
19-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Rafe
How's the sound quality of N91 from loudspeaker (listening mp3 on loudspeaker) Is it like 6680,n70,n90 I've owned both &not impressed with it :( P910 sound quality rocks or it is like p910 ?

Rafe
19-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Christian - no the N91 does not have line input. You're limited to voice memo type recording which clearly isn't good enough for music. The only output on the device are a standard audio jack (with an accompanpying slot which is used by the remote), a mini USB slot (Sync), and the power cable slot.

I asuupose in theory some one might be able to do something akin to an iPod accessory.

mob453
The N91 is about 10 g os so lighter, but because it is smaller I would say it feels heavier. I've mixed feelings about this, yes weight might be an issue for some. I can't say I noticed it much, and it is very pleasing to hold in the hand. I would say depending on how you hold it it might be marginally top heavy (although I do tend to hold evice low down). The only problem I had with one handed usage as that the application key is on the top right side of the device (why?)

I've never heard the hard disk.

Jazzy1

I think the quality from the loudspeaker is excellent. I would say its probably a bit better than the P910. Subjectively I'd say it is similar to the P990 (not really fair as I can't compare them directly).

It certainly beats the rather tinny N70 and N90. Its still not brilliant, but goof enough. The speaker is on the side of the device which means it is good even when lieing flat on the table (turning the speaker towards you gets the best results).

Hadiq
20-04-2006, 09:02 PM
hey I was wondering whether there was any confirmation on UPnP support on the N91...according to mobile-review and wordontheblog they have confirmed in the affirmative. Also I was wondering what your opinion is on the display. Thanks

Rafe
20-04-2006, 09:24 PM
There was no UPnP in the one I had and it was the most recent firmware (as far as I know). It is also missing from the manual (which you can download from the Nokia site) so I suspect there's no UPnP.

There was UPnP support mentioned in a draft manual earlier.

Hadiq
21-04-2006, 12:58 AM
well thats a shame...and the display? what did you think? good enough to watch videos comfortablly?

Rafe
21-04-2006, 10:37 AM
The display is very nice, but the resolution is the old standard - 176 x 208, which means it can feel a bit cramped at times (especially with the new browser). S60 3rd Edition looks better on the higher resolution screens. But for video you should be good, the screen is much like the N70.

apcaw
24-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi, Rafe.

I just bought a n91 last weekend here in the Philippines. Just one quick question. Whenever I get incoming calls, the ringing tone (which I set) sounded different from the actual/ raw file. Meaning, I can here a voice of a guy talking while the phone is ringing. Its kindda weird. Did you encounter this while testing te unit?

Would appreciatte the help. It's quite annoying, actually. Thanks.

Hadiq
24-04-2006, 04:18 AM
hey Rafe, I got two quick questions for you. Firstly, I was wondering exactly what the size of the phone is. By this I mean were you comfortable in holding it against your head and talking? If it would help maybe you could compare it to some other phones. I was also wondering what your overall impression was regarding the implementation of wifi into a phone? Is it really that beneficial?

Rafe
24-04-2006, 09:08 AM
apacw - didn't come across that problem - sounds a bit wierd and perhaps an operator issue?

Hadiq - I'll be mentioning this in the write up in more detail, but... I think the phone is a bit oversized as a phone. Its comfortable in the hand, but for long conversations its not as good as smaller phones (not really suprising given the extra weight). Compared to say the N70 it feels quite big, and I say purely for use as a phone the N70 would win out.

That said the N91 does have a reassuringly solid feel to it.

WiFi - really depends on how much access you have to wifi and how much you use data on the phone. Personally I found it a real boon. Wifi works like any other access point. For those with high GPRS costs its really great. The best thing is than when you are roaming you don't have to pay out rageous data charges.

I was pleasantly suprised at how well wifi was implemented. You get asked what access point you would like to use to connect - one of the options is EasyWLAN - if you choose this the phone scans for wifi hotspots and from there you can connect. A preety quick process.

bugmenot
24-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi.
I am looking at bluetooth stereo headphones for listening to the N91 but if I am trying to use the radio will the lack of a cable cause reception problems? I know on previous devices (and most personal FM radios) the headphone cable is used as an aerial.

Rafe
24-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes you setill need a cable for the Radio to work.

apcaw
25-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi, Rafe.

Is there any website where there are available softwares for the N91? Free softwares, I hope. :)

tsupatsupa
25-04-2006, 10:29 AM
apcaw

go to profiles..

personalize and switch off "Say caller's name"

bugmenot
25-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Do you know what will be in the UK sales package?

gtdmouse
27-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I was wondering if you could use mp3's that you've put on there as ringtones.

Rafe
27-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Yes you can use MP3 as ringtones.

The UK sales package will vary according to the Networks, but should have the phone, connecting cable (USB), remote, stereo headphones, desk stand, charger, charger adaptor, manual, cd.

bugmenot
28-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Yay, got one!

It kicks bum

zainman
28-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Yay, got one!

It kicks bum
how much for????

Hadiq
29-04-2006, 02:21 AM
hey Rafe, I was just wondering when your going to release a full review of the Nokia N91?Also if you do release a review I was wondering if you could go more in depth into the things that nobody else is paying alot of attention to (i.e full screeen video, internet browser, wifi, and so forth). It seems to me that everybody is focussing on the music playing capabilitis, which is correct to a certain degreen due to its music optimization, but seeing as this phone is supposedly a "multimedia computer" we should analyze the multi in media don't ye think? lol

Rafe
29-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Hadiq - look for it early next week. Its probably not fair to classify it as a review - more of a commentary in some ways :)

I do mention the WiFi - but there's only so much you can say about it. The internet browser is good, but I do have a few problems with it (mentioned in the article). Full screen video I doin't think I mentioned - but yes it will play full screen video if you have vidoe in the right format. The stuff recorded via the camera looks quite good.

Yes it is a multimedia computer, but the music is emphasised over everything else. The camera is OK (nothing special), as is the video (no changes from the N70). Really the big thing about the N91 is that the hardware is designed with music player functionality being primary and phone second (well to an extent anyway).

-[GT]-
29-04-2006, 11:36 PM
hey rafe i was wondering that:

1) does n91 support A2DP?

2) when will the black version come out, cuz i've seen grey and silver ones...

3) can u synchronize or transfer files over wifi?

thanx

Rafe
30-04-2006, 12:35 PM
1) I was not able to test (no A2DP headset).
2) I dont think there is a black version. There's only one colour as far as I know.
3) No (not via PC Suite).

vickram_123
01-05-2006, 02:33 AM
got one two days ago... ive been using 6260 for more thn an yr now , had loads of applications on it , sadly none thm would work on this one cuz those applications r not compatible with this version of symbian , the most important application im missing on is smartmovie player , wit smartmovie converting movies n playing thm on mobile was like a treat but without tht its getting pretty tough to convert videos , ( hope they will come up wit new version of this software to work wit symbian v3 mobiles ) , while playing video on fullscreen mode , basically it blocks the speakers cuz uve to place the phone on horizontally n speakers will be blocked to the surface , display is ordinary ( i still find my 6260 screen a lot better thn this new n91 ) ..
n lets get to the positive sides of the phone..

firstly , the quality of music player , just amazing , way better thn any mobile phone ive ever seen and most importantly way better thn ipod ( trust me , i own an ipod for more thn 2 yrs , i can clearly see the difference between the both) , very very impressed wit it ,
secondly , wlan feature , its just like a notebook wit wireless capabilities , have tried connecting to internet wit wlan , got connected in no time , very very impressive . rest of the features as normal , camera is strictly o. k. though i was a bit disappointed wit not incorporating a separate button to take snaps straightway without using the joystick and also using the volume up/down button for zoom , well... may be i was expecting a bit too much from nokia but thy could hve taken care of all these since thy took more thn 6 months thn the initial launch period , im sincerely hoping tht there will be more applications available for this version of symbian soon ...i would give 7 out of 10 for this phone ..

snowhite
01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi, Rafe.

I just bought a n91 last weekend here in the Philippines. Just one quick question. Whenever I get incoming calls, the ringing tone (which I set) sounded different from the actual/ raw file. Meaning, I can here a voice of a guy talking while the phone is ringing. Its kindda weird. Did you encounter this while testing te unit?

Hi apcaw :) Go to TOOLS>PROFILES>(select which Profile you're using)>PERSONALIZE>Choose"off" under SAY CALLER'S NAME. That should solve the problem ;)

bugmenot
02-05-2006, 09:01 AM
how much for????
It's on a Ģ45 a month contract (for 12 months) and was free on that deal :)

jrsolis
02-05-2006, 02:51 PM
hi Rafe,
i just got N91 2 days ago. the phone is excellent! the only thing that i noticed was the quality of the pictures taken. Is the camera of N70 better? because i compared the the same shots taken and the one from N91 is darker and poor. it's both 2 megapixel cam and N70 pics are better and brighter. I don't know if there is a defect in the camera of my N91 or is it firmware? my firmware version is:
v1.00.028.14
29-03-06
RM-43

I even tried comparing the same shots taken from 9500 and it was even better because it's brighter. help pls.

BTW, is there any way to turn-off the camera shutter or camera sound?

Rafe
02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
You might want to try using some of the different modes (e.g. Night Mode).

I found the N91 camera wasn't as good as the N70 in imperfect conditions. YMMV.

I don't think you can turn off the camera shutter sound.

vickram_123
02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
hi rafe ,
i had been trying to play few .swf files on my n91 , no success as yet, i had been getting msg "unable to open file corrupted" , im sure these files r fine !!! any idea how to get around to this problem , is it possible to send me couple of swf test files which hve worked on n91 , ur answer will be appreciated , thnx

-[GT]-
04-05-2006, 01:00 AM
hey again was wondering:

1) n91 supports only 802.11g or b/g?

2) can the video be recorded in mp4 format?

3) i said this before, but is black version out yet???

bugmenot
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Rafe.
How can I get podcasts (and vodcasts) on my N91 without downloading them through my PC? I have read on AAS that there was supposed to be some app to handle it but I can't find it on my phone or the net.
Help?

Rafe
04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
The podcast / vidcast app will not be available until June / July. Until then you will have to copy files across manually though (or download directly to your phone manually).

steed
10-05-2006, 10:19 AM
hi Rafe just a quick question do have any idea how to get back the album art on the n91

trish
10-05-2006, 08:41 PM
hi rafe

u r doin a gr8 job buddy.i am planing to buy a nokia n91 soon .i have this really big confusion i am confused between the three colors i like the dark grey one but till whichever review i have read it say black is a better color.wat do u think?

thx,bye:)

Hadiq
11-05-2006, 12:28 AM
hey rafe, I read the gsmarena review and I was surprised to say the least. According to them this is a rather primitive device wich is terrble in both physical aspects as well as functionality. But what struck me the most was there notion of the screen being as second rate as phones of a few years past. Can you comment on this. How much of this is true and not?

Rafe
11-05-2006, 02:51 AM
The screen is low resolution compared to some other 3rd Edition devices (176 x 208), but it is high quality. Personally I think a higer res screen would be better, but I wouldn't call it second rate. Of course it depends on your opinion.

It is a big device, but it has a lot in it. Calling it primitive is wrong. It is a very advanced device, but there are some interesting desing decisions (hard disk vs flash memory, no high res screen, relatively bulky).

Album art comes over on Sync with a PC I believe.

rapid7
11-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Can you tell about the play with the buttons. GSMAREANA's review was complaining about the keys. Is that true?

tsupatsupa
11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
from gsmareana:

"Keys are illuminated in deep blue. The red and green receivers retain their respective color. The joystick is surrounded by light too. To my opinion, the backlighting of the functional keys could have been a little bit more intensive. Otherwise the backlighting itself is so strong that you will even see how badly the bonds between the keypad and the mobile frame are put together."

If you are really particular about this, yes it is very visible. And it doesn't bother me at all.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/antz88c/N91%20Screenshots/Screenshot0005.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/antz88c/N91%20Screenshots/Screenshot0008.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/antz88c/N91%20Screenshots/Screenshot0009.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/antz88c/N91%20Screenshots/Screenshot0011.jpg http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/antz88c/N91%20Screenshots/Screenshot0013.jpg

trish
11-05-2006, 01:32 PM
hey this is trish

rafe this is bad u have not replyed to my msg ;

Rafe
11-05-2006, 02:38 PM
trish - I maybe missing something but I don't think there is another colour for the N91. I think you are thinking of the N80.

Honestly I cant say I noticed the buttons being bad, but then its my opinion. The number keys are small, but there is plenty of space between them. The softkey buttons could do with being a bit better, but again I didn't notice it as being bad.

trish
11-05-2006, 03:54 PM
hi rafe

here in india n91(i cant mistake it for n80 coz it is still not available here) is available in three colors- black , dark grey chrome and silver. & also when i searched the google for colors it said there r three colors. even i viewed them under the image category of google. any ways thx for replying.

http://images.google.co.in/images?q=tbn:f3PAebC7D_4DTM:www.mobile-review.com/articles/2005/image/seriesn/n91-7.jpg

Monsyur
11-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi all,
Is anyone know how to open the n91 housing?
Because inside my lcd have dust, n is annoying me.:rolleyes:
I try to screw up those 4 screws but still can not open.:frown:
Please help.
Thanks.

tsupatsupa
11-05-2006, 11:39 PM
>>>Monsyur

i had the same problem before, just take your phone to any nokia care center, they do it for free if phone is under warranty.

but again, after a few days, dust will be visible again, take notice both sides of the screen, there's a very small gap. you can try to blow thru these gaps but i dont assure you that dust will be gone.

i think this is a 'design flaw' i just placed 'clear tape' to avoid dust from going inside the sceen, just cut the clear tape to a very small width so it will not be visible.

Monsyur
12-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks Tsupatsupa.

That's why I'm asking how to open the housing. Because not every time we bring the phone to nokia centre only for clean up. :tongue: :tongue:

My Friend said normally there is a service manual n91 level 1&2 regarding how to open this stuff just like any other type.
but I can't find it.

Thanks.

angela.ngiau
12-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi Rafe :

I've read the N91 forums and thought that you can help me. Someone was complaining that they can't download any themes and when you asked them to try using Nokia 3250 themes, some will work and some don't. I've tried and none work. I've gone to Zedge and Symbian websites to download themes and none work. I've even call Nokia hotline and they said that Nokia N91 at the moment can't download themes. Only those themes given on the phone. Is that true? And if you know of any websites that can successfully download themes, I would very much like it please. Thank you in advance for your help. I'm just curious as to whether N91 can download themes or can't. With a good phone, if it can't download themes, it's a very big downfall. True ??? My previous phone is N90 and there's no problem in downloading themes. Please help !!! Again, thanks in advance for helping me out here.

Regards :
Angela

Pitulon
12-05-2006, 09:57 AM
In the manual under the Charging-recharging it says that we have to make 2 or 3 complete charge-recharge cycles for the battery to function at its HIGH rates. No more details are given.
Can someone clarify if this method is needed and what are the cycles times.

The rather "old" technique of fuul-discharge and 12 hrs recharge again and again for 3 times in needed???

Thank you so much.

Rafe
12-05-2006, 11:31 AM
On colours: I hadn' noticed a difference until now so can't help you.

N91 Themes - there seems to be a bug (feature) which means only Nokia created themes can be used on the N91. It can download themes, but this seems to be buggy.

Batteries have best performance just after their intial usage. I'd advise charging fully and then decharging a few times, after that any usage should be fine. Although to be honest I don't always do this.

trish
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
hi rafe

i have noticed that on nokia website there is wcdma n91 & some other sites say its gsm n91.what is d diff bet the two n which is better?

Rafe
12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
WCDMA and GSM are the cellular connection type. The N91 supports both. GSM is often known as 2G and WCDMA as 3G. WCDMA is faster for data and support video calling, but usually has less coverage ina given area.

-[GT]-
13-05-2006, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=Rafe]N91 Themes - there seems to be a bug (feature) which means only Nokia created themes can be used on the N91. It can download themes, but this seems to be buggy.[\QUOTE]

will this so called bug remain or nokia will put a firmware update to get rid of it??

Rafe
13-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't know, but I believe they are aware of it and I would assume so.

steed
13-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I've been preparing to write an N91 real world article (I'm still going to). One of the thing I wanted to do was offer to answer any question people might have at the tail end of the review. However there's no reason I can't include some of these in the article itself. I'm also limited time wise... so if you have any N91 questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

hello RAFEEE how are u ?
is me again i need to know just one thing i hope this will not take much of ur time
is the n91 compatabole whit bluetooth stereo? [yes] or [no]
i am lost...
help me thanks

-[GT]-
13-05-2006, 08:52 PM
hello RAFEEE how are u ?
is me again i need to know just one thing i hope this will not take much of ur time
is the n91 compatabole whit bluetooth stereo? [yes] or [no]
i am lost...
help me thanks

no it doesn't because it doesn't support A2DP....u need bluetooth 2.0 to support A2DP....n91 has only bluetooth 1.2

there should be a wireless audio getaway thingy that allows it to support A2DP

steed
14-05-2006, 07:41 AM
-']no it doesn't because it doesn't support A2DP....u need bluetooth 2.0 to support A2DP....n91 has only bluetooth 1.2

there should be a wireless audio getaway thingy that allows it to support A2DP
wow thanks that was fast anser why nokia did somthing like this i just cant beleve it
some time i think nokia is like a verry sexy girl and she will only let u kiss her hand and stop no more that is it stop till the next time

angela.ngiau
16-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Rafe :

Thanks for the information. Appreciate that. But sad to say .... N91, such a prestige phone .. can't download themes. Oh well ....:)

Regards :
Angela

steed
17-05-2006, 09:27 AM

One more question .. can the N91 make coffee? .....lol just kidding i just what to say thanks to RAFE for the hard work he is doin answering all this crazy questions they ask ...good job and thanks

Rafe
17-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Actually you dont strictly speaking need Bluetooth 2.0 for A2DP I believe. Originally the N91 was going to support BT stereo headsets but this doesn't seem to have made it the production models ;(

and yes of course the N91 makes coffee, you don't think they would leave out such a vital function do you? (see p13 of the manual).

Usurper
18-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi,
I cant seem to get bluetooth to recognise/find any devices , ive tried my old k750i/ wifes laptop/sons samsung d500 etc and phones in work, sometimes it sees them but cannot pair with them, am i missing somthing simple to rectify this? :(

steed
18-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Actually you dont strictly speaking need Bluetooth 2.0 for A2DP I believe. Originally the N91 was going to support BT stereo headsets but this doesn't seem to have made it the production models ;(

and yes of course the N91 makes coffee, you don't think they would leave out such a vital function do you? (see p13 of the manual).

One more time u are corect Rafe i was waiting for the n91 for a long time , the first time i did see the it on nokia.com they show the stereo bt head set the hs 12w whit it and the nokia 8800 too have it a promis that will have a blooth stereo it was like a dream lots of song no wire wow sounds good but now there is nuthing like that ... it make me a bit sad but can one do? nuthing i guess
by the way samsung d 820 is a 1.2 and supports stereo bt
and the n80 is a 2.0 and no stereo bt

immagin no more wire on i pods on phones just stereo bt on all ...
i donno why nokia did this but ...well it happens

DoS
19-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Is there only one firmware version so far?

naim
19-05-2006, 06:30 PM
i am having N91.....PROBLEM I M FACING IZ THT........WHENEVER I

SWITCH ON MY PHONE I GET AN ERROR HARD DRIVE NOT AVAILABLE......THEN

I FORMAT BY PUTTING THE CODE *#7370# ......THEN EVERYTHING GETZ OK

..........THEN WHEN I GO 2 MENU> EXTRAS>HARD DRIVE>I GET A MSG HARD

DRIVE NOT FORMATTED.....WHEN I PRESS OK I GET AN ERROR

"HARD DRIVE NOT AVAILABLE".........PLZ SUGGEST SOMETHING!!!!

-[GT]-
20-05-2006, 12:59 AM
how's the wifi speed on the n91, cuz when i use my bro's 9500 to surf the net, it's really slow.....:mad:

Rafe
20-05-2006, 05:24 PM
WiFi speed is good (e.g. when downloading files / checking email, but the browser is not that fast. No where near as bad as the 9500.

steed
22-05-2006, 09:54 AM
WiFi speed is good (e.g. when downloading files / checking email, but the browser is not that fast. No where near as bad as the 9500.

the n91 is fast nice cool and cold (the metal ) verry fast on the wifi ok on the software not too bad, nice on sms easy to use .But only one thing
why the reebot sometime ? do i need to look for a nokia store and upgrade it?
can i do it my self on the net?
and why i cant get coffee from it eh why why why ?

Shazada
23-05-2006, 09:02 AM
How come is the media gallery so slow? I've putten 2gig of songs on this baby and i've got to wait for 30 sec to see some pics in the media gallery

Some guy was saying that this is, cause the songs are also loaded in the media gallery.......?

bugmenot
23-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Just to add to this. Opera has released a browser pecifically designed for the N91 now and it is a lot faster than the inbuilt browser. It's also free: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/phones/?phone=nokia_n91

steed
23-05-2006, 08:10 PM
hi rafe i know i joke a lot but this time i am mess up for real my n91 will not conect on my pc it say there is an aplication hold it back i cant access the hard drive from the pc or from the n91 but i can play video from the hd
what is goin on i cant add any programs
nuthing i can format it becose will not conect media player or mass storage only pc suite
and i cant format from the n91
is say hd is used by another application when ever i try to conect by media player
can u help me here
the phone brand new never been use
what do i do now?
thanks

msbaranga
27-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi,
I connected my n91 to my wireless network.
I managed to go online on websites but I can't access any page - only the first page.
e.g. after i'll go to a webpage the connection is still on but the phone won't go to another webpage.
Can anybody help me, please?
Thank you.

Orophin Anwarunya
29-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I want to know if the music player supports crossfading. It would be a mild annoyance if my ministry of sound mixes had pauses between tracks.

bugmenot
30-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I can help with these:

msbaranga: Try using opera mini to browse. I find it a lot better than the built-in browser.

Orophin Anwarunya: No, the phone loads each track to memory on playing it so there is a very short pause. It does make mix albums slightly annoying to play.

Orophin Anwarunya
30-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh well, i can live with that. I wonder if its a hardware thing or software. I ha to be software since some media players on the pc support it and some dont, so it would be possible for a trid party app OR (hopefully) a firmware upgrade by nokia to add the feature natively.

Thanks bugmenot for the info and for assisting the ever so busy wizard Rafe.

Vicky
04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Rafe tell me one thing that Sound quality via Loudspeaker is better in N80 or in N91

vergel23
10-06-2006, 03:08 AM
What is the latest firmware version of our Nokia N91.... My N91 frequently hangs and freezes. And where can I download the AirAlbum Application? Coz I formatted my 4gig HHD. Thanks

willanclarence
11-06-2006, 01:15 AM
hi rafe!

im having trouble with my n91. when sending sms, it takes 20 seconds to go back to the original screen. i then looked at the memory details and it says i still got 10mb of space, it is easier when it still got 14 mb. i tired erasing the log, deleting the cookies and cache, i even erased messages, but the space is still the same. is there a way to erase the phone memory?

thanks.

furhat.butt
11-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi, I just got hold of one of these phones.

I'm just wondering if theres an upto date list of compatible software for this phone on the net. I'm also wondering how flexible this phone is. Can it be used for navigational purposes with the right software.

I'm not sure if i got a technical problem with this phone. When I connect this phone after installing nokia pc suite it allows me the option of connecting to the internet via the phones modem. I had to change the settings in setup to 02 uk for it to connect properly. Once connected it states on the double screens in the system tray that its running at460.8 kbps. Now i'm sure a normal modem connection is ~56kbps but the web browsing and downloading does not reflect the connection speed shown at the bottom of the screen.

Whilst downloading windows media 10 for my laptop (for compatibility with my phone) the maximum start download speed was 25kbps and it fell to 5kbps. My first impression was that nokias server was so busy that the connection speed had to be decreases to ensure an even distribution of bandwidth for people downloading but i'm finding the recurring problem with downloading anything.

Im not sure if theres an issue of contension ratios?? but I've never heard
or seen an advert regarding g3 phones having their bandwidth shared. Isn't g3 supposed to be super fast?? That harddisk attatched to it aint making it suer slow again is it??

However for mobile website browsing its better than nothing. I'm not sure if i got to change any settings to stop the bandwidth dropping or if its a fault in the phone or if its 02's providing me a trash service and not willing to admit to it, I had teething problems setting up the internet, mms etc.

So g3 hasn't been quite g3 for me yet. A consolidation is that web browsing can be seem to be quicker on the phone. The kilobits whilst browsing in the top right corner looks to me like the total downloaded so far for the website your accessing rather than connection speed. If some unliterate reviewer has thought this to be the connection speed they need hanging.

I would appreicate some help on speeding this phone upto its advertised speed and some advice on getting 02 to provide the bandwidth g3 is supposed to be running at (the bars were full but speed low) and some help in finding some fun applications/games, what i've seen advertised at nokia doesn't apeal to me surely theres some fun things u should be able to do with these types of phones.

Looking forward to loads of replies etc

mob453
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
hi rafe!

im having trouble with my n91. when sending sms, it takes 20 seconds to go back to the original screen. i then looked at the memory details and it says i still got 10mb of space, it is easier when it still got 14 mb. i tired erasing the log, deleting the cookies and cache, i even erased messages, but the space is still the same. is there a way to erase the phone memory?

thanks.

is your log set to 1 day?

[sdm]Diablo
11-06-2006, 06:40 PM
On the symbian web site they told me that i need to upgrade firmware (nokia fixed bug on the new version), but can you tell me have i pay for that, because thats realy stuped bug that can't be normal on the phone like N91

furhat.butt
13-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I understand that the nokia n91 is a media player/phone. But Is it likely that skype be avail for it like its available for pocket pc's

http://www.skype.com/download/

I used to have a 3300. This phone allowed you to record the radio and play it back. I tried it with my n91 and it shut off the radio and began to record through the mic. I might have overlooked some settings but i got the impression it wouldn't allow recording off radio. Can the recorder be altered to record radio?

I like the calender function where it constantly shows you appointments you've arranged on the main screen so you don't forget about them, however if u have loads of them a day u might not get to see them all, I only had one.

I was looking for a leather case for the phone and some wireless stereo headphones. With it being a slide phone i was curious what the leather case would look like. The site i found mobilefun.co.uk didn't show a detailed picture or mention a new design to take the phones slide design into consideration. It focused on quality stitching and a stupid clip the manufacturer has patented to make business man look even sillier.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10619.htm

At the moment i think that the prices for the bluetooth headphones is ridiculous, not only that but they should have been supplied with the phone initially.

However the Jabra BT620s Bluetooth Stereo Headphones do look to be good value for money in that its standby mode and talktime lasts 6-8 times longer than the nokia

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/9783.htm jabra (Ģ69.95)
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10261.htm nokia (Ģ79.95)
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/7633.htm i-tech(Ģ49.95)

i-Tech BlueBAND Bluetooth Stereo Headphones last just as long as the nokia cost Ģ30 less probably enough to buy a decent cap and scarfe. That is unless nokia are prepared to do a price match??

i aint bought either so i wouldn't know what they were quality of sound wise.
still looking for reviews etc.

i read a post regarding having to put the wired headphones in if u wana listen to the radio with ur wireless headphones as it acts as an antenna, why didn't they just create an aerial with a headphone conection on it or put digital radio in it on it or something?? Or even better that stand it comes with could have done with an aerial on it cos it'd look trendy and be 10m out of the way.

I wouldn't really wana leave my phone lying around though. I'd be afraid of losing it or misplacing it. Thinking of innovation it could have been designed to be more green, that base could have done with having some solar panels on it.

Rafe
13-06-2006, 11:13 PM
3G speed is operator dependent, but it also depends on how many other people are using the same cell you are.

gtdmouse
14-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I was looking for a leather case for the phone and some wireless stereo headphones. With it being a slide phone i was curious what the leather case would look like. The site i found mobilefun.co.uk didn't show a detailed picture or mention a new design to take the phones slide design into consideration. It focused on quality stitching and a stupid clip the manufacturer has patented to make business man look even sillier.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10619.htm

Here's a link to another case:
PDair (http://www.pdair.com/scripts/main/viewitem_v2.php?itemid=3176&pdaid=232)

tsupatsupa
14-06-2006, 12:37 AM
What is the latest firmware version of our Nokia N91.... My N91 frequently hangs and freezes. And where can I download the AirAlbum Application? Coz I formatted my 4gig HHD. Thanks

http://www.airalbum.net/php/main/downloadAA.php

just choose your country.

struan
14-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I've had my N91 for almost a month now. So far, except for the limited software available, I have no complaints. I just have a couple of thoughts that can improve the phone more.

1. Since it already has wifi, why hasn't nokia used this interface instead bluetooth/usb since its much faster?
2. The wifi configuration is very limitted, DHCP is not running on the AP, theres no way I can be able to use WIFI. Is there a work around for this?

Thats it for now. Thanks for reading.

steed
16-06-2006, 09:57 AM
is this persen trying to make me mad ?
the n91 dont have stereobluetooth no way nisba not there never so whyyyy u talking about bluetooth stereo here ??????????

giamdanny
19-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Rafe, is there an option available in the N91 to set a recurring alarm at a certain time every weekday? I've looked everywhere in the phone but can't find this feature. As this is a very common feature in mobile phones nowadays, I was very surprised when i couldn't find it in the N91. Or did I look in the wrong place?

Rafe
19-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Giamdanny - Yes you can do this using the Clock application.

dsoftdave
20-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Rafe

do you any Idea when the tomtom patch will be available for this great N91 phone.

I belive that tomtom 5 will not wok yet, well I cant get it to pick up the app yet.

If not is there anyother good navagation software available I can use please.

Cheers
dave

Pitulon
22-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Rafe, is there a way (or a app) to show the N91's BATTERY STATUS (e.g. 75% charged)
thx

Rafe
22-06-2006, 09:05 AM
dsoftdave - no specific date, but I am in touch with them and will update as I hear things.

Other navigation solutions are also due out shortly.

Pitulon - I don't believe so (yet).

sdf
23-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi all

i just bought this phone yesterday and very impressed with it
One problem i cant figure out is with Wifi
I am using WPA with a 63 bit key (i was using 64 but N91 don't support 64 Characters) but every time i connect to Wifi i have to type the 63 bit key in i cant find any where to save the key

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Rafe
23-06-2006, 09:55 AM
You need to create an access point based in your Wifi HotSpot. You can do this in Settings application (under Connection)

sdf
23-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks for for the reply also last night i read the manual and found it, i should have done that first but also it does support 64 bit password just not in easy wlan

Thanks

s6yka
26-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Rafe - I've had my N91 for a couple of weeks now but I'm having issues working out where to install things. I've never had a symbian phone before and don't know where I should be saving .sis files for themes and if that's even viable. Can you give me a quick run through on how to personalise wallpapers and screensavers etc with pictures other than the ones saved on the phone. The only screensaver I have is an O2 moving bubbles thing but I'd like to know where I can save other gif like files to have as a screensaver.

Rafe
27-06-2006, 08:54 AM
You can not save other .gif files as screensavers (in theory you can create them, but I haven't looked in detail at this for S60 3rd Edition). You should be able to chnage the screensaver by personalising a theme and changing the screensaver. (Handy Clock and Handy Weather both comes with nice screensavers and I use these).

You don't have to worry about where to install SIS files. In the N91 case the internal memory may be better as it may save the hard disk from having to be spun up and therefore save you battery life. To install a sis file you can open it on the phone (this will start the installer), you can also do this from the PC (you'll need to have installed PC Suite and have your phone connected).

If you have copied a sis file to the phone in USB Mass Storage mode you should be able to find it and install it using the file manager built into the phone.

All customisation (such as wallpaper) takes place in the Themes application. You can personalise a theme and chnage various elements of it (this does ary from theme to theme though).

olip
27-06-2006, 11:20 AM
can you upload the mplayer.aif file from Z:system\apps\mplayer? But only from phones like N91 or 3250!!! Not from N70 or N90!!!!
It's really important
or send it to : oliver.plambeck@freenet.de
thx

s6yka
27-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I have managed to locate said sis files on the phone and it doesn't like opening them. Have just read somewhere else that you need a new sisx file for the N91. Can you provide some links to some things that should work on the N91?

Rafe
27-06-2006, 07:46 PM
olip: I currently don't have an N91 so I can't help you with the icon.

s6yka: You can find software that will work on the phone here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/software/Nokia_N91/
You are right you do need compatiable sis files. However you should also make sure you have the right settings in App Manager:
In App Manager go to settings and make sure 'Software Installation' is set to All and 'Online cerif check' is off.

KARSANOVA
03-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi
I read lot of post on many Forums in which people try to compare N91 with W900, K800, W810 etc.........In all factors Camera, Design, Weight.
I think its not fair cuz if you are a true music lover you should compare phones on basis of sound quality.

I own N70 but it can't satisfy my needs cuz i love to listen rock, trance music now i am planning to buy a true music phone... yes a "TRUE MUSIC PHONE".
I experienced W800 and W550 but wether you agree or not i think they dont produce Quality Sound cuz they bundled with low qualiy "IN THE EAR" head phones that produce Artificial BASS due to deeply injected in ear creating a vacum.plus these phones are not loud as they should.

So plz lets decide that Where N91 stand in Music.
If you own or had experience with N91 plz tell me and clarify others

1: What is level of loudness with head phones...?
2: How much BASS is produced by N91...?
3: Whats the diffrence N91 and W(900, 800) and iPod's Sound Quality...?
4: Any thing else regarding SOUND QUALITY you want to share...?

Thanx
Keep up the Good Work.

khuram_b
03-07-2006, 01:45 AM
hi karsanova,

1. VERY LOUD, ive had w810i and its volume was nearly half to N91.
2. Not as much as SE phones as they have mega bass which is good only if u hav good headphones.
3. N91 sound quality is better than W810i, ive heard its better than iPod.
4.Superb phone, more advanced equaliser than any other phone.

these are all from my experiences, others may differ.:)

nmittar
03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Rafe
My harddrive of N91 crashed yesterday while I was playing some mp3 with diffferent bit rates. It gave me two optoins: hard disk error: stop or retry. Retry didnt work and I stopped it and lost all data. Is there anyway to prevent it in future.
A couple of more questions: What is the best way to transfer mp3 songs (direct copy & paste into hard drive or through Nokia pC suite after converting into AAC or M4U format). I have a mixed collection of Mp3 format songs which have been ripped with different frequency/bit rates. Is it a good idea to have it in music library in N91.
Thanks very much for your help.

nmittar
03-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi all

i just bought this phone yesterday and very impressed with it
One problem i cant figure out is with Wifi
I am using WPA with a 63 bit key (i was using 64 but N91 don't support 64 Characters) but every time i connect to Wifi i have to type the 63 bit key in i cant find any where to save the key

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

I have similar problem, I also have to type my network key of my secured home network, everytime I use it. I couldnt get to store/save it.

KARSANOVA
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi
I read lot of post on many Forums in which people try to compare N91 with W900, K800, W810 etc.........In all factors Camera, Design, Weight.
I think its not fair cuz if you are a true music lover you should compare phones on basis of sound quality.

I own N70 but it can't satisfy my needs cuz i love to listen rock, trance music now i am planning to buy a true music phone... yes a "TRUE MUSIC PHONE".
I experienced W800 and W550 but wether you agree or not i think they dont produce Quality Sound cuz they bundled with low qualiy "IN THE EAR" head phones that produce Artificial BASS due to deeply injected in ear creating a vacum.plus these phones are not loud as they should.

So plz lets decide that Where N91 stand in Music.
If you own or had experience with N91 plz tell me and clarify others

1: What is level of loudness with head phones...?
2: How much BASS is produced by N91...?
3: Whats the diffrence N91 and W(900, 800) and iPod's Sound Quality...?
4: Any thing else regarding SOUND QUALITY you want to share...?

Thanx
Keep up the Good Work.

Where are the Symbian GURUs, N91 owners ...........it wont take no more than 5 minutes to reply these questions.:trytofly:
Plz share your experience...........!

Rafe
04-07-2006, 09:23 AM
nmittar - no one best way to copy songs across. Using WMP has some advantages in temrs of being a true sync solution.

Jarasanova - I think your questions have already been asnwered once... but

1. It's fine, but that doesn't tell you much does it.
2. I was impressed, but you might not be.
3. I would say they're all quite good. Its more often the quality of the music file not the device for these higher end devices.

Anchit02
04-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey i have been readin about all the problems people r facin with the Nokia N91. i really do want to buy this phone but donno which firmware is the most stable. Could anybody give me the details about the proper version of the firmware so that i can get it checked in the shops
thanks

tsupatsupa
05-07-2006, 04:49 PM
1. Loud.. depending on the earphone used, of course way too loud distorts the sound, especially those 'cheap' plugs. I personally use Shure E2c, so i enjoy clear and crisp sound with N91 (this answers your no 3 and 4 question as well)

2. Listening without the plugs, it sounds 'okay', the BASS is accepatble. You can set "LOUDNESS' as you wish.

With or without plugs, or directly connected to my stereo system, N91 produces good sound.

TIP: Get a good earplugs.

avishek
06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi Rafe,
I just got my N91 few days back and i can't stop fiddling with my phone since. I have tried almost all the things that N91 can but as for WLAN i still am not being able to connect it with my laptop.Here is my specs:

Laptop :compaq having a build in WLAN card
I have been using Internet Connection through a Wired LAN card and now i need to make a AD HOC connection from my laptop to my N91. Since i don't have a router or the Access point i was thining is it possible to share my Internet Connection with my laptop and also can i exchange files from my PC to my phone through AD HOC connection?
If Yes then do help me out.although i am comfortable working with my laptop and making connection but i am not being able to configure my phone for that connection
Can u plz guide me through this process?
thanks
avi

DVD1120004
09-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (NokiaN91-1/3.0 (1.00.001.15) SymbianOS/9.1 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

i cant install any apps on my n91,signed apps only is off,need a solution please.

Rafe
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Change the Settings in App Manager to allow Self Signed (non Symbian Signed) software to be installed.

nj7
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Rafe,
I just got my N91 few days back and i can't stop fiddling with my phone since. I have tried almost all the things that N91 can but as for WLAN i still am not being able to connect it with my laptop.Here is my specs:

Laptop :compaq having a build in WLAN card
I have been using Internet Connection through a Wired LAN card and now i need to make a AD HOC connection from my laptop to my N91. Since i don't have a router or the Access point i was thining is it possible to share my Internet Connection with my laptop and also can i exchange files from my PC to my phone through AD HOC connection?
If Yes then do help me out.although i am comfortable working with my laptop and making connection but i am not being able to configure my phone for that connection
Can u plz guide me through this process?
thanks
avi

I believe that a direct connection is not possible. The Nokia Symbian, after the 6600, cannot league the InterNet through the PC's, because they do not have active SPP (Serial Port Protocol with Bluetooth). Or better, eventually they can, but not with a easy way (see this: http://gnubox.dnsalias.org/gnubox/). Thus, I believe that made a connection with the PC will not be easy task.

giamdanny
11-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Rafe,

I know you've answered this question before but forgive me for being dumb. Could you please tell me step by step how I can set a repeating alarm on the N91? Probably one that will ring every weekday at a certain time? I've looked all over the clock application but I still can't see any options for repeating alarms. All I can do at the moment is to set one alarm at a time. Please help.

Thanks.

khuram_b
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
u cant do that with clock, it doesnt allow alarms to be set for a whole week

Rafe
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
If you want to do repeat alarms you will need to use the excellent Handy Clock. Or (I haven't actually tried this) you can set a recurring appointment in Calendar.

giamdanny
12-07-2006, 08:13 AM
What is the excellent Handy Clock? Where can I find this on the phone?

thefallen18
13-07-2006, 09:06 AM
hey Rafe,

Is there anyway to change the ringer volume on the n91? i've already set it to max volume for the ringer but it still seems too soft and i can't even hear it when it sometimes rings in a pocket. This was never the case with a n70.

Is there any other way to view images (like in the n70 left/right scroll style with preview)? The video also does not offer a preview,which can be confusing with similarly named files. is there any way to change it?

The phone occationally hang for a while( few seconds), do i need to update the software? What is the newest software version, how do i find the current software version on the n91, and how do u get it updated?

i visited the epocware website which offers the handy clock, along with other useful handy tools, but it's not freeware. Any way around this?

Thanks a lot for your help...

Rafe
13-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Handy Clock is a third party piece of software.
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/software/item/Handy_Clock_for_S60.php

Yes you can change the ringer volume by using a different ringtones. This can be changed in the Profile application.

I don't think so. The gallery application is standard. If you don't like it consider SplashPhoto as an alternative.

The phone hanging is usually a symptom of waiting for something (i would imagine the hard disk in the case of the N91). Not sure what the most recent version of the software is. You can find out yours by inputting *#0000# at the idle screen. You can update it at your local Nokia service center (check your countries Nokia website for your nearest one).

If something is commercial you have to pay for it. Anything else is illegal.

thefallen18
16-07-2006, 08:40 AM
hello rafe, thanks for the help offered, but i'm still not quite sure about the ringer volume. i've tried changing the ringtones around and the ringtone volume to max, yet still the ringer is not as loud as i would liek it to be,or on par with the n70. Is there anything we can do about it?

xxchowzerxx
17-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Hi Everybody/Rafe,

I'm currently in the US and I just recently purchased a n91-5. It does not seem to have a wlan function. I went into Connect/Connection Mgr/, but there seems to be no Wlan function. I read on other forums that it may be the model (N91-5), but is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

Anchit02
17-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi Everybody/Rafe,

I'm currently in the US and I just recently purchased a n91-5. It does not seem to have a wlan function. I went into Connect/Connection Mgr/, but there seems to be no Wlan function. I read on other forums that it may be the model (N91-5), but is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

hello thr
well there isnt anything you can do...i m sry....Nokia released two versions of N91....the N91-1 has 3G with WLAN while the N91-5 dont have neither WLAN or 3G. I learned this from the Nokia Asia Pacific website, here is the link if u want to see 4 urself:
http://www.nokia-asia.com/nokia/0,,82183,00.html?model=N91%20GSM,N91&status=new

I did have a question for u. On the back of ur N91 (inside the battery housing), how is the model number written. Is written as N91-5 or jus N91

thanks 4 all ur help

xxchowzerxx
17-07-2006, 06:59 PM
After looking in the back, it has N91-5.

farquan
18-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi!

I was wondering whether it is possible to get Mp3's as your Alarm Clock songs? I dont have any files in the Tone Downloads folder but I do have them in the Gallery and I don't know how to access them.

Thank you,

xxchowzerxx
20-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok...Let me get this straight. There are two versions of the N91 (N91-1 and N91-5) The N91-1 supports ONLY the WCDMA (with wifi) and the N91-5(without wifi) only supports GSM. Therefore, therer there is no GSM model N91 with WiFi??? Or is there?

blabaret
20-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi rafe,

I would like to know if it is possible to listen to internetradio on the N91, and if so, wich format is supported? streaming mp3? aac+? or only rm as on the 9500?

Rafe
20-07-2006, 05:04 PM
The N91 has an FM Radio. You can also listen to Real Audio radio stream and streaming radio using the third party Internet Radio program.

Anchit02
21-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok...Let me get this straight. There are two versions of the N91 (N91-1 and N91-5) The N91-1 supports ONLY the WCDMA (with wifi) and the N91-5(without wifi) only supports GSM. Therefore, therer there is no GSM model N91 with WiFi??? Or is there?

the N91-1 is WCDMA but is backward compatible wit EGSM 900/1800/1900.......n it has wifi..........so if u want a N91 wit GSM n wifi.....N91-1 is 4 u

nwokep
25-07-2006, 07:09 PM
i bought the nokia when visited india when i fixed a new sim in my country nigeria it worked ut after three days it started showing offline i dont know what to do about it because am not happy over it pls what is the solution
Thanks
Patrick:frown:

justrelax
26-07-2006, 12:36 AM
i want to update my firmware ...so plz tell me excatly what should i get & from where i can get....thanks alot

nwokep
26-07-2006, 09:06 AM
my nokia 3250 has been offline for some days now what is the possible solution
Patrick

nj7
26-07-2006, 09:29 AM
i want to update my firmware ...so plz tell me excatly what should i get & from where i can get....thanks alot

Go to a Nokia Service Point, and they do that for free in garantee period!

nj7
26-07-2006, 09:32 AM
my nokia 3250 has been offline for some days now what is the possible solution
Patrick
Some days... Are you in a zone without network coverage? Do already had donne a reboot? What about your SIM, is damaged?

meetee
27-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi..Rafe,

Im new to this forum and i m working on 3250..
so can u start such thread for this device?

Best regards
Meetee

Rafe
27-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Meetee - I've only used a 3250 for a short period. However I have created a thread so hopefully people can help you out.

thetinster
27-07-2006, 08:49 PM
noticed a lot of people have this problem. my n91 regularly freezes and hangs. what is the best way to reset? I keep having to take out battery while phone is on. is there any way to resolve the problem? it has only started happening since having firmware updated at nokia service point.

Orophin Anwarunya
29-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok. I read that the battery for the N-Gage QD (BL-6C) can work in the N91, if only a little of a tight fit and extra weight. Its supposed to give the N91 vastly improved battery life.

Can anyone confirm this in actuality? Does it work and how much does it affect the battery life?

I havent got an N91 yet, it arrives on tuesday, but i want info in earnest.

khuram_b
30-07-2006, 03:38 AM
i havent tried it personally but i have spoken to people who have done it and they say 3-4 hours more battery life, and the battery fits pretty easily. great phone :D

nj7
30-07-2006, 11:18 AM
i havent tried it personally but i have spoken to people who have done it and they say 3-4 hours more battery life, and the battery fits pretty easily. great phone :D

The battery fits, but not pretty easily, but with some effort. After long use may damage the phone... Iīm not sure!

Orophin Anwarunya
30-07-2006, 08:09 PM
The battery fits, but not pretty easily, but with some effort. After long use may damage the phone... Iīm not sure!
:o omg! i dont want that to happen. tho, 3-4 hours extra is very appealing.

nj7
30-07-2006, 08:20 PM
:o omg! i dont want that to happen. tho, 3-4 hours extra is very appealing.

I had put the N-Gage QD battery in N91. Task lasts... Back cover, it wantīs to leave the phone. And, Iīm not sure if it gives so much time. A little more, but not 3-4 h! Well, my experience!

Orophin Anwarunya
30-07-2006, 09:05 PM
i wont risk it. i'll just buy an extra N91 battery and nokia's official battery charger. i really dont mind carrying a spare on my long haul journeys.

cheeses me off how such a powerful device can be given a paltry battery. ah well!

khuram_b
31-07-2006, 02:11 AM
good choice m8, thats wot i did, i bought a extra OEM battery and a desktop charger for batter so it doesnt have to be in phone to charge.

nj7
31-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Wise behavior:icon14:

Orophin Anwarunya
31-07-2006, 04:31 PM
hola! just got my early delivery of the N91. Smaller than i thought, can actualy fit in my trouser pocket and its sound quality is amazingly good.

My home wireless lan is set to MAC filtering aswell as WEP. My problem is i dont know how to find out the N91 MAC address, so i can asign it access to the network. Help!
I think thats what is causing the "...Maximum number of connections used..." error i keep getting when i try to connect via opera, even when i have no active connections.

Orophin Anwarunya
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I found the solution from the mobile9 (http://www.mobile9.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=24219)forum

1. To check the unique Media Access Control (MAC) address that identifies your device, enter *#62209526# in the standby mode. (for WIFI settings)
2. To find the unique address of your device, enter the code *#2820# in the standby mode.

There are also many other very handy tips for using s60 3rd edition handsets.

pavithra
07-08-2006, 06:24 AM

hi.. i am new to symbian programming.. i am currently working on series 60 using visual studios 6.0.. i wanted to know if sis files can be included in sis file..

eagerly waitin for ur reply..

acnet
10-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I recently received a N91-1 (Hong Kong version)
It doesn't seems support WiFi feature (connection can't create WiFi Connection)
Is there anything I am missing with this phone? Do I need to activate the WiFi feature?
Please help.
Andy

Kouryuu
16-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi Rafe!

Ive got two problems ... the first is text messaging. Ive just inserted a new sim card into my N91, but for some reason i can not send text messages. I can make phone calls fine, but messaging seems to be a problem. Do you have any idea as to why?? Im at a loss. :frown:

And the second thing is, how do you change the message tone alert??

nj7
16-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Rafe!

Ive got two problems ... the first is text messaging. Ive just inserted a new sim card into my N91, but for some reason i can not send text messages. I can make phone calls fine, but messaging seems to be a problem. Do you have any idea as to why?? Im at a loss. :frown:

And the second thing is, how do you change the message tone alert??

Do You have the configuration of yours network provide set up?
Tone - profile sction.

clair
18-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Hya every1 wonder if any1 can help with my query!!! I would like to put microsoft office 2003 mobile on my n91 is this possible? and if so do i need any other software before i can do this... I keep reading about windows mobile but i dont know if this is software and if its compatible with the n91... I know i sound thick cause i am. OOh another thing if i do need other software does any one know where i can download it from. THANK YOU for any help :con?

nj7
18-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Hya every1 wonder if any1 can help with my query!!! I would like to put microsoft office 2003 mobile on my n91 is this possible? and if so do i need any other software before i can do this... I keep reading about windows mobile but i dont know if this is software and if its compatible with the n91... I know i sound thick cause i am. OOh another thing if i do need other software does any one know where i can download it from. THANK YOU for any help :con?

First, put the things in order. Windows Mobile is an software like Symbian is another. N91 is a device with Symbian software, and, for example, Qteck 9090 is a device with Windows Mobile.
Now, You may use yours N91 lika a USB disk drive. In that case, you can have portable apps inside, and work with that like any other portable device. See here:http://portableapps.com/.
In that case You can use Openoffice to work with office docs.

clair
19-08-2006, 03:13 PM
First, put the things in order. Windows Mobile is an software like Symbian is another. N91 is a device with Symbian software, and, for example, Qteck 9090 is a device with Windows Mobile.
Now, You may use yours N91 lika a USB disk drive. In that case, you can have portable apps inside, and work with that like any other portable device. See here:http://portableapps.com/.
In that case You can use Openoffice to work with office docs.

Thank you for your help but..... i understand about the windows mobile and i know i can use my n91 as an external hard drive i just dont understand the portable apps thing. Ive followed and looked at your link but i just dont know what to do next.
Please if you have a spare minute could you explain in a little bit more detail, Im very new to computing but learning all the time due to nice people like yourself who obviously know what their doing.:icon14:

nj7
19-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, I hope, thanks. Portable apps are regular programs, to work with windows, but without installation. This kind of apps donīt spread dll and others around the C disk! Is just a copy / paste apps. You can copy them to HDD drive of N91, (or another USB drive), connect N91 in Tranfer mode, and do a doublle click on apps, and they run. This thing happens on any PC, yours or not, because the installation is not necessary. For me the most interesting is Thunderbird and Firefox, because my e-mails and my bookmarks are always with me. Also very interesting, is trillian (IM client) and Openoffice - Word+Excel+Powerpoint on less then 100Mb. Download the apps, put them on N91 and do a try.

Danpe
22-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I have a recurring error that is driving me mad. Unexpectedly all my own message folders and mail account are deleted from my N91. It had happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks after working properly in 3 months. I have had my firmware updated to 1.10.030 04-05--06 RM43
I have tried to save them on the harddisk, but this seems to be an "intelligent erase", all other files and applications are unaffacted. Any similar experiences?
This is my proffesional tool, and its so frustrating when you work with an communiacting tool you canīt trust. What to do?

nikhilvasa
25-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Hi. I am new to this stuff and am considering buying a Nokia N91. I know that many people had considerable problems with the poor browser but I am assuming that the new Opera browser that just recently came out has provided a sufficient, quality alternative to the one that comes stock on the phone. I just want to verify that the new Opera browswer does indeed take care of the formatting problems initially experienced by many users.

Secondly, I was wondering if there is any way to be sure that my Outlook contacts will sync with this phone. I love the descriptions of this phone's multimedia capabilities but for practical functionality, I need this thing to sync with Outlook as if it were running windows mobile. Thanks in advance.

bitstream76
26-08-2006, 06:18 PM
well i herd most ppl complain abt the theme bug, where some said it's a firmware problem and only the ones who have

1.00.028 version and there are later versions that does not have this bug. i dont know much abt that but i know i have the same problem...... but i did manage to install 3 themes into from a whole pack of six themes made for the s60 3rd edition

h**p://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/software/Nokia_3250_Themes.zip

hiphop, rock and techno works on ma n91 where else all others will revert to the deafult theme of the phone when u come back to the main screen..... this 3 themes worked out of around 20 odd various themes that i downloaded from various sites.... and of course even the original sample themse that come with the nokia s60_v3 theme creator does not work..... though some of them are really really coooool!

anyway nybody find a solution... pls help!

and for apps and games if needed for the n91....... try checking out the forum.gsmhosting.com site or the funmaza.com

nyway the n91 is a cool phone and the sound quality is pretty good with good pair of headphones...... even beter than the w800i .. though the speaker quality is poor.... try using a good pair of headphone rather than the origianl nokia once...... i tried the w800i once coz it's completly cuts out the outside noice...

thanks....!

bitstream76
26-08-2006, 06:23 PM
yes... this baby will sync with outlook with no problem at all.......

even the thumbnails u add to ur contacts will be available on the phone....
calander notes....etc. there is a updated version of the pc suite anyway available on the site which looks more cooler i guess....

oh and i am talking abt microsoft outlook 2003.....

not sure abt the other once... but i am pretty much confident that outloook express (windows address book for contacts) should work fine too....... coz it asked me to choose which one i am using anyway...

nj7
26-08-2006, 08:53 PM
yes... this baby will sync with outlook with no problem at all.......

even the thumbnails u add to ur contacts will be available on the phone....
calander notes....etc. there is a updated version of the pc suite anyway available on the site which looks more cooler i guess....

oh and i am talking abt microsoft outlook 2003.....

not sure abt the other once... but i am pretty much confident that outloook express (windows address book for contacts) should work fine too....... coz it asked me to choose which one i am using anyway...
Not sure, but I think is only Outlook!

misha0209
28-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Hi,
i'm new here, figured this would be the best place i could find out stuf about my phone. hope U have the answers... :)
So, here goes. The n91 supports .3gp video, as well as .mp4. I have encoded a lot of 3gp videos, but i would allso like to encode a few mp4 videos. Problem is, my phone sais it can't paly the clips i make. :con? Can you tell me EXACTLY what codeck and aplication i have to use, in order to encode a working .mp4 clip?
P.S.: excuse the bad english, i'm not from US or UK...:)

sltty86
29-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi!

I was hoping somemone could tell me how to turn off the wlan scanning on my n91 to pro-long battery life?

Also how do i switch from dual mode to GSM? (I heard that if I do this I cannot use WCDMA, what is that?)

Sorry for the dumb questions, as I am new to s60

:-P thanks

nj7
29-08-2006, 09:39 AM
On connections, wlan - off, as I remenber...

bitstream76
29-08-2006, 07:25 PM
to disable WLAN Scanning

goto -> Tools Folder -> Setting -> Connection -> Wireless LAN

and set the "Show Availabilty" to 'Never'.... this should disable WLAN scanning

and for WCDMA.. (wideband code division multiple access) is a different mobile tchnology i suppose (you will have to look this up somewhere for deep info)

to disable dual mode

goto -> Tools Folder -> Settings -> Network -> Network Mode (set it to GSM)

blomkaal
31-08-2006, 06:29 AM
WCDMA = 3G afaik...

dazharrington
07-09-2006, 12:26 PM
:icon4: :o :icon4: not sure whats happened... had phone for about 4 months been working fantastic (no probs). then yesturday turned phone on after charged and the display appears to be damaged as its flashing and theres about a million tiny multicoloured pixels on the screen it doesnt show any display other than a little box semi visible (top-Left) showing a bit of the clock. I can still Call out/recieve and play music - but just cant see anything at all. I wondered if this could be a bug or something like a crash... Please help!

Many thanks
:con?

dazharrington
07-09-2006, 12:35 PM
:icon4: :o :icon4: not sure whats happened... had phone for about 4 months been working fantastic (no probs). then yesturday turned phone on after charged and the display appears to be damaged as its flashing and theres about a million tiny multicoloured pixels on the screen it doesnt show any display other than a little box semi visible (top-Left) showing a bit of the clock. I can still Call out/recieve and play music - but just cant see anything at all. I wondered if this could be a bug or something like a crash... Please help!

Many thanks
:con?

nj7
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Seems a broken screen --> Nokia Service!

music101
14-09-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi

Dazz - sounds like the cable between loose to your screen. probably not pushed in all the way in th efactory Drop by the service centre and they can install it better

Music101

tolick
19-09-2006, 07:20 PM
does music player on Nokia N91 have search option like player on Nokia n90? or is there any music player for n91 wich have search option?
I need an explorer program like FExplorer for old S60 mobiles. Can anyone tell me the name of the program wich i need?

tolick
20-09-2006, 08:37 PM
i download Nokia Software Updater form nokia.com i start to update my firmware but after 2 hours the blue lines stoped at about 80% at step 3...i wait half hour and disconnect my phon...due the update my phone at one moment automatic turned off and after that moment i can't turn on more my mobile. Can explain someone what i must do now? When I try to Update my firmware now my Nokia Software Updater don't find the phone but when i connect the usb on my mobile in my pc on device manager appear this 2: Wireless Comunication Devices
-Nokia BB5 ADL Loader USB Generic
-Nokia BB5 ADL Loader USB Phone Parent
Now when i press the power button there nothis happens. no light from my mobile tunred on.
help me pls! Can u tell me what i must do now?
PS: Sorry for my english!

nj7
21-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, something goes wrong, but You already know that. Take the device to a Nokia Service, and they can take care of that.

MaXsteR123
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi!

DivX player (and smart movie) works fine on my N91, but when i'm update software in N91 program doesn't work I see Black screen all the time

Please help

clair
04-10-2006, 08:34 PM
hya was wondering if you could help me. Ive just got my n91 and was wondering if i can put a full movie from dvd on to the hard drive.
Im asuming its possible because of the size of it, but being a bit of a thicko i wouldnt know where to start.... If its possible please could you talk me through it and include what software i may need or movie converters.
AAAAAAAAAAhhh thanks so much if you can help me, I would love to watch my favourite dvd while stuck in a long que.:o

nj7
04-10-2006, 09:06 PM
hya was wondering if you could help me. Ive just got my n91 and was wondering if i can put a full movie from dvd on to the hard drive.
Im asuming its possible because of the size of it, but being a bit of a thicko i wouldnt know where to start.... If its possible please could you talk me through it and include what software i may need or movie converters.
AAAAAAAAAAhhh thanks so much if you can help me, I would love to watch my favourite dvd while stuck in a long que.:o
Itīs possibe, after encoding. Because the final format must be H263 codec compatible.

clair
05-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Itīs possibe, after encoding. Because the final format must be H263 codec compatible.

Okay can you recommend a codec programme that will do this (free)THANK YOU!!

nj7
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Okay can you recommend a codec programme that will do this (free)THANK YOU!!
Two phases. A Ripper program, that extract the DVD to one file, like the free one SuperDVD Ripper or another (this kind of software is very spread). Then, I have good results with SUPER from eRightSoft (and others, if You see the forum), grab that file and with H263 codec - 15fps and 384 bitrate (is enouth, but could be higher) do a 3gp (mpeg4) file. And with Real Player is possible to see in landscape on N91 or another one. The only problem, is the time to do all that, because to ripper a DVD takes time, and afer that, SUPER needs also itīs time. But... do that when You donīt need the PC!

clair
06-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi NJ7, Ive downloaded the software you recommended,many thanks for your help!
Im busy recodeing a dvd movie but the thing is( and ive not long had my nokia n91 so forgive me)how do i transfere it on to my phone?
I know how to transfere music via media player or install applications via pc suite but havent a clue what to do with the encoded movie....
if you have the time would you be a mate and talk me through it? Thanks again for any help. Regards clair:icon14:

clair
06-10-2006, 04:35 PM
hello again i bet your sick of hearing from me..... Having problems with erightsoft codec.
i ripped a dvd using nero cause i dont know how to use super ripper,droppped the file on to the codec asked to recode to h263 and then after about 15-20 minutes it says there was a error.
wonder if you could tell me all the right settings please, and also how to use super ripper ive only got the trial version which allowes me 9 rips,but if it helps get movies on to my n91 i will buy it. i would love to get my movie on my phone so please help. THANK YOU clair.

nj7
06-10-2006, 07:42 PM
To transfer, connect N91 on USB mode, and drag and drop the file on N91 HDD.
For SUPER try this:
1. mp4 (MPEG-4);
2. H.263;
3. AAC;
4. Video Scale Size - 176 x 144;
5. 16:9;
6. fps 15;
7. bitrate 384;
I do that for N73 with only one difference, with point 4 - 352x288 and work OK.
But since, N91 screen is litller then N73, maybe doesnīt work, but You could try.

clair
07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
hi nj7, Ive managed to encode my movie and it plays perfect on my pc.
i dragged and dropped the file on to my n91 harddrive and when i went to play it i just couldnt find the file.
so i moved it in to my video folder where ive got the nokia n91 sample video and again it was nt there. im at the last stage but i cant figure it out... please could you tell me where to put it and where i will find the file on my phone to play it? Youve been so helpful with your knowledge and i really appreciate it THANK YOU:icon14:

nj7
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
The encoded file could be anywhere. On Video folder is OK. Install also, if not yet, Y-browser, then browse to the Video folder with Y-Browser and click on it, and it open Real Player. Is like that for me!

clair
08-10-2006, 04:21 PM
ooh i need to install it? how do i do that and whats the y browser i dont think ive got that on my fone or if i have where do i find it? thank you...

nj7
09-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Y-Browser or Sys Explorer are Explorer for Symbian OS 9.1, and can be found on software sction of this site - free ones.

yingster
14-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Is there any way to use the voice recognition software in the phone to include other items like 3rd party software or to open a particular song? Software sugestions also appreciated.

nj7
14-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I think not. Voice recognition software is for phone related functions, and not others.

bats
16-10-2006, 10:25 PM
hello everyone. i have just got my Nokia N91 and is great so far. i previously had a N70 and got infor from this forum as to how to get sat nav on it and it all worked fine.
now i have the same problem again as i want to put sat nav(tomtom) onto the N91.
i am a novice so need detailed instructions as to where to get the program files and exactly how to install it.
can anyone help please......

thanks
BATS.

xxx7
25-10-2006, 12:02 PM
hi all....

i have nokia mobile N91, i have problem with programs with type .sis its not work in N91 is there any method to let programs with type .sis work in N91.

thanks....

moktar1985
28-10-2006, 09:16 PM
HELLO MATE I HAVE PROBLEM WITHE MY NOKIA 3250 CAMERA WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THIS MESAGE OPEN (GENERAL: FEATURE NOT SUPPORTED )
PLZ CAN U HELP ME

KARSANOVA
03-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi I bought N91 a month ago it was awesome.
but now I am in serious trouble when i try to connect the phone in "Mass Storage" Mode it display a warning "Unable to connect because the Hard Drive is in Use by another application".
When I tried to format the Drive using default Hard Drive Manager it displyed "Hard Disk not available", it correctly showed the drive info but refused to format.
I closed all apps, restarted the phone several times, used Application Managers, Formated(Hard/Soft) the phone memory but no luck.
My phone has latest firmware ver 2.10.013.

Now I dont have any other option left to format the Hard Disk.....!
Is there any 3rd party app that can format or some "CODE" (like *#7370#
for the phone memory) or any other solution you suggest?
Thanks.

nj7
03-11-2006, 04:47 PM
See what is the theme in use. Change it to the default theme and see what happens.

flyatsky
04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
hello my friends
help me plz
my phone dead
because my pc restart before complete my framework update
what am i do for this problem? :con?
help me soon plz

gtdmouse
04-11-2006, 04:17 AM
but now I am in serious trouble when i try to connect the phone in "Mass Storage" Mode it display a warning "Unable to connect because the Hard Drive is in Use by another application".
When I tried to format the Drive using default Hard Drive Manager it displyed "Hard Disk not available", it correctly showed the drive info but refused to format.
I closed all apps, restarted the phone several times, used Application Managers, Formated(Hard/Soft) the phone memory but no luck.
My phone has latest firmware ver 2.10.013.

Now I dont have any other option left to format the Hard Disk.....!
Is there any 3rd party app that can format or some "CODE" (like *#7370#
for the phone memory) or any other solution you suggest?
Thanks.

I had the same problem with mine and ended up having to send it back to where I bought it, importgsm, to have it fixed. I just got it back in the mail today, and I'm not sure what they did to fix it. I don't think they shipped it to Nokia, b/c they would have had to ship it to Asia and it would have taken longer. Before I had called nokia support and they were no help whatsoever.

nj7
04-11-2006, 08:10 AM
hello my friends
help me plz
my phone dead
because my pc restart before complete my framework update
what am i do for this problem? :con?
help me soon plz
Nokia Service... only way now!

mimaketi
05-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi' i'm new to this forum. I got my n91 last may and it is now dead. It worked fine until july. It slowly started to reboot itself but most nokia's do that. Then it would randomly show the message "unable to start contact retailer." and then wouldn't turn on at all. Now when i press the power button or plug it into the charger it blinks rapidly three times and that it it. I cant get it fixed because i got it off of ebay from asia and they nor the us nokia will accept it for repair. Please help me

nj7
05-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Try a phone format: * + 3 + green key and power on! If that doesnīt work... only Nokia Service!

xaxaxa
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey guys!
I came to UK 2 months ago and i bought the N91 but its locked in Vodafone.
I try to put my country sim card and it don't work.
does anybody can help me to unlock it?
i try to find some programs who unlock the networks but the N91 is not unlcude in!

what can i do pls help !!

nj7
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Read the forum rules:rolleyes:

case28
11-11-2006, 08:30 PM
i am located in manila philippines, just recently bought an n91 but it is locked to SMART a network provider that the phone is subscribed to. i was wondering if there are already available softwares that could actually open the line so i can use it using other networks. i tried going to repair shops and tried contacting technicians but to no avail

i apologise, but i'm not really a techie person:redface: so i don't have any idea what to do. a reply would be very much appreciated. thanks :)

str|ct9
12-11-2006, 05:55 AM
I have a recurring error that is driving me mad. Unexpectedly all my own message folders and mail account are deleted from my N91. It had happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks after working properly in 3 months. I have had my firmware updated to 1.10.030 04-05--06 RM43
I have tried to save them on the harddisk, but this seems to be an "intelligent erase", all other files and applications are unaffacted. Any similar experiences?
This is my proffesional tool, and its so frustrating when you work with an communiacting tool you canīt trust. What to do?

Had the same problem as above :icon13: , but using
N91V 2.00.052
21-08-06
RM-43
N91 (30.02)
My phone crashed..and after it restarted I had lost all of the msgs in
'MY FOLDERS'...I would really like to know how to restore them as I belive they are still on my phone..I still have all the *.smil *.txt *.jpg etc...it's just that the folders or the file containing the folder names or file locations has gone

they (the msgs) seem to still B there yet I cant see them threw the 'msg manager'.. ...I have lost many "important" items... pls help
TY :icon14:

mimaketi2
12-11-2006, 05:57 AM
Hi, I have a nokia n91 that died. It seems i am the only one on the internet with this problem. My phone will just blink when i try to turn it on. Three times. Never getting to the nokia logo. It won't do anything else. I can't send it in for repair but that is another story is there anything i can do to save it.

nj7
12-11-2006, 09:10 AM
With N91, maybe You are the only one. But with others phones, is a different story. Same thing happen to me in passed with 7710 and others. Is just like that, it died, and nothing else to do.

jithendran
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
hi mate, i do have a serious problem with my 4 gb hard disk (n91), i cudnt access my music player, tried refreshing music library, its refreshing for ages with out actually refreshing itself.... even worse when i tried to format my hard disk (full and quil format) it said hard ware is used by another application so disk not found...
can u help me out, i wud really appreciate ya patience and techinical wits...
thanks mate...

music101
12-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi

Here is a link to some great tips that can hopefully help some people

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/10/19/top-19-tips-to-get-the-most-from-your-nokia-n91/

1) For the phone that just blinks try a hard reset

2) For the HDD unavailable being in use see the tips. Also if they do not work make sure you do not have your theme/wallpaper running on the HDD. AND you can try: Boot up the phone with the battery cover off. Then after it boots fully put the battery cover on (activates HDD) then format it.

music

music101
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi

Note that the tips recommend against setting the message memory to your HDD

music

music101
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi

Here is a link to some great tips that can hopefully help some people

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/10/19/to...our-nokia-n91/

For the HDD unavailable being in use see the tips. Also if they do not work make sure you do not have your theme/wallpaper running on the HDD. AND you can try: Boot up the phone with the battery cover off. Then after it boots fully put the battery cover on (activates HDD) then format it.

jithendran
13-11-2006, 03:49 AM
hi dude,
i got a prob with N91 hard disk, i cudnt access the music menu and the music player as well, but i cud play songs from media option in the menu. Also when i tried to format (full and quick) hard disk it`s saying hard disk not found...

switched of phone several times and tried the same, still wudnt work... thanks a lot mate.....
i wud appreciate ur patience....

music101
13-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi

So you can play music using Gallery but not using the Music player. Well at last that means your HDD is actually ok but the database for the music player is screwed up. (I assume you have refreshed your library using refresh option its not just saying No songs is it?)

1) See my the links to my tips above (it may make sence to upgrade the sw)

2) If that doesnt work you can go in and erase themusic database then power the phone off and on (it will remake it)

- From file manager (tab over to the HDD)
FIND
In HDD
Find Text: add in system. This will bring up a folder that has the system files.
You will see Apps, data and temp folders
Go into data and delete the MG2 folder (this has the databases on the HDD).
On power up these are recreated. Power the device on and off.

007cool64
25-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi i am new to this forum & i have a N91 & i hve forgotten the lockcode for my cell phone pls help me
my emi # 358353/00/182456/5
Thanx

nj7
25-11-2006, 03:01 PM
If You didnīt change the code, must be 12345, the default one.

lalu4u
01-12-2006, 08:46 PM

hi i am himanshu.c.s searching for some software of n91 like want smart movie player for n91 i have tried many other smart movie player but its not working in it so can u please guide me in it? thank u

AKA89
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
how can I view the album art in the Media Gallery, i can manually modify it from the music player and see it only in the music player, but I can't see it in the media gallery...

I bought a used N91, and it had a song in the media gallery that showed an album art,....how can I do that?

sydraider
17-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi guys, nice forum you have here, im hoping someone can help me with a problem I have with my n91.

I was having memory problems, especially with recieving txt messages. I changed my messages to my hard drive, still I would be notified that I did not have enough memory to recieve incoming messages.

I reformatted my hard drive and then changed messages back to phone memory. I cleared my internet cache and auto bookmarks, I have over 1mb of free memory to recieve messages which is heaps.

Now to recieve incoming txts, I have to turn the phone off, then back on. Some of them come up some dont. Do i have a virus?

Is there any settings I can change to alleviate this problem?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

nj7
17-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Is not a virus, because theres no virus for S60v3, untill now. Try a FW of phone, but do a phone backup first, or the lost is total:icon4:

music101
19-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Hi

Sounds like the sms slow/memory issue that happened to some people with older sw Take a look at these tips

Nokia Tips:
http://europe.nokia.com/A4158098
http://europe.nokia.com/A4213023
Just select english language

music

Ch0yc3
02-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Hey there. I was given an N91 as a Christmas gift after I had eulogised about it vociferously eariler in the year. Multi-format playback, proper headphone-jack socket, large HD were lovely features. Perhaps the thing that swung it for me though was the promise of line-in and FM recording. Now, I'd kinda swayed away from the idea of the N91 and even most mp3 players, as I was really after .wav recording, which only some old iRiver's were capable of, and some others with the use of RockBox software. However, the N91 was a surprise present which I happily recieved.

Now I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I love the phone, have had very few problems with it, but I really thought that I'd be able to record. It seems from my net investigations that this isn't the case, aside from the very rudimentary voice-recorder.
Really, I just wanted to be able to record lectures through a mic attached to the line in, at mp3 quality. I'm pretty sure the N91 has the hardware to do this (am I right in thinking that the headphone jack socket could be used as a line-in as well as a line out, through software switch?), so has any software been released that could do this? The closest I've seen is the ALON MP3 Dictaphone for S60 3rd Edition, but I don't know whether that would be able to take advantage of the line-in, and doesn't seem to let on about encoders/encoding rates.

Do you know if Nokia have any plans to do this in future firmware realeases? If someone knows anything about this I'd be grateful of your knowledge, as at the moment I'm thinking about selling the phone and going the old mp3+separate phone route, which is a shame as I really like the N91 aside from this. Just that recording would be really handy indeed for me.

nj7
02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
N-Gage, original one, do that. Records from Radio. Price: 50€!

REZA_SMORT_BOY
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I closed all apps, restarted the phone several times, used Application Managers, Formated(Hard/Soft) the phone memory but no luck. I use * #7370# but it has trouble.

It cant detect any type of file on gallery from hard drive.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?

msbionik
04-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Rafe,

What do the numbers represent on the firware?

When I updated the firmware, I went to Nokia's site, it asked for my location, and then proceeded to download. The phone was purchased for me from an importer so, I think my phone was manufactured in Asia somewhere. Because I live in the US, it "does not meet the US standards" per the rep at Nokia when I called. She also told me I would have to ship my phone there if I had any problems with it. Anyway, after the firmware download, my calendar alarms would not ring. Then, on New Year's, my phone started acting weird (blank screen) then the next day, the alarms started working!

So, do you suggest that I download the firmware from the Asia site? What is the difference, if any?

Thanks!

V 2.10.013
15-09-06
RM-43
N91 (14.01)
IMEI#358391/00/052156/8

music101
04-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi

I am fairly certain about this (but I could be wrong)

1) The US Nokia person is wrong - the N91 meets all FCC etc standards for the US. What it doesnt have is the 850 MHz band (but it has the 1900). The only physical difference between the 3G N91 in sold to the US and the 3G N91 sold in Asia is that the Asia one has a dark grey front and the US (like Europe) has a light bluish chrome.

2) The SW version you have is valid and it doesnt matter which server you download from. As for your alarms...please do noy use WMA, M4A etc tones for ringtones if there is something even slightly wrong with teh file th eN91 can hiccup. See these guides for guidance

Nokia Tips Guide (just select the language to use)
http://europe.nokia.com/A4213023

posze3000
05-01-2007, 06:36 PM
i connected a friends usb cable 2 my fone while trying 2 download stuffs from his pc. my N91 suddenly went off. i turned it back on and henceforth the fone has refused 2 detect any connection between it and any pc despite trying other functioning usb csbles.what could be wrong and whats the solution.thanks

music101
06-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a virus on the PC to me that has corrupted the data exchange.
I suggest you look atteh Tips i issued and do a reset (7370) on the phone memory, reformant the HDD and avoid your friends computer.

music

msbionik
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Thank you so much for info music101!!!

r5201980
13-01-2007, 01:29 PM
The display is very nice, but the resolution is the old standard - 176 x 208, which means it can feel a bit cramped at times (especially with the new browser). S60 3rd Edition looks better on the higher resolution screens. But for video you should be good, the screen is much like the N70.
Hello Rafe,
hoope I'll get a quick answer from you.
1. My fon is n91 and i reflash it coz of some sort of reason and now it display contact reatailer.

I could not full format my hardisk, I couldn't connect my fon using usb, I couldn't format is using 3 soft key and pwr on/off key.

What should I do now? Is there any way for me to fix it w/o going to nokia servise center?

Thanks in advance

alexisedwin
22-01-2007, 12:15 PM
hii can you tell me what makes n91 better than other handset

nj7
22-01-2007, 12:43 PM
The main difference is the inside HDD of 4Gb and the new 8Gb:)

Y2K
25-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi.
I installed some themes on my N91 from mobile9.com. Some of them seemed to disappear on their own and if i try re-install them, they give errors.

I've done a master reset, but that didn't help.
How do I do a Master Clear on my Nokia N91?

thanks in advance
Y2K

soelectro
26-01-2007, 04:02 PM
ive just got the 3250 and i hate the diary entry that sits on the display thing, how can i get rid of it, PLEASE someone tell me

lots of love Kate

nj7
26-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Menu - Tools - Settings - Phone - Standby mode - Standby - No

xOrangeFirex
29-01-2007, 08:52 PM
live in america, and was, untill recently, planning to get the n73 and then buy the n95 whenever i could get to it, but with the information that its comming out relativly soon I wanted to know how long would you think it would take for me to be able to buy one in america?

nipon
03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
where can i get social player by MyStrands for my 3250

nipon
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
3250 music player is not as loud as music player of nokia 6270 in earphones i want a loud as well as quality music player for my 3250 in earphones

misfeldt
20-02-2007, 08:12 PM
You can get it by request from the labs page at MyStrands.

lindenb
28-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi, Rafe.

In the profile settings you can select for the nokia to say the callers name that is listed in your phone book.. it is a males voice.. perhaps this is what you are talking about.. ???

KARSANOVA
28-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Like all other Nokia N91 owners I'm sick of the LOW battery life. There is NO WAY that one can improve the playback time on N91 with standard battery, only WAY that I think is by using High capacity battery BL-6c(1150 mAh) rather standard BL-5C(900 mAh).

My question: "is it safe to use BL-6C in N91 (they have same output voltage 3.7 volts)......?"

any one done this before ..............?

nj7
01-03-2007, 09:07 AM
I try once... and works, but the back cover fits so pressed, that may cause some damaged to th phone it self. So, I think, that is not the way!

music101
02-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Hi

Since I upgraded to 2.10 last year the battery life is actually quite good (eg compared to N80 for example). There are some tipe however that can make sure you optimize (e.e. sometimes if youe Network operator has non-balanced 3G network it can drain the battery in Dual Mode etc)

Try tip 6

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/10/19/top-19-tips-to-get-the-most-from-your-nokia-n91

cheers

abelhas
10-03-2007, 06:55 PM
i just bought an n91
but my linux kubuntu system goesnt recognise it...
help...

nj7
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Is only for Windows 2000 or XP.

oraclems
10-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello,

I need some help, I've changed my lock code on my N91, and I can't remember it, :con? can you please tell me how to reset this code to default.

Thanks

nipon
16-03-2007, 03:53 AM
hi rafe, a quick question. i have a 3250 it doesn't sound as good as nokia 6270 or the masterly n91. for enhancing the sound quality i bought sony and panasonic earphones, i have almost all popular 3rd party applications installed to my phone but still nokia 6270 sound quality is far to reach in ear phones. plzzzzzzzzzz suggest me some remedy

mohweb
16-03-2007, 03:24 PM
plz help me in displaying smart movie n divx players song i sent u msgs in private 2

Dushy4
30-03-2007, 01:06 PM
I have installed a font in my n91.the .ttf files r created in dir:E>resource>fonts.now the problem is that i cant activate the mass storage mode as it says"unable to activate as hard disk is used by another application."i cant uninstall it or format my hard disk frm phone due to same error.now what can i do

smsahil86
01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
i have to mutch avi videos in my mobile but in smart movie show me the message no codec for video format 'DIV3"
my mobile Model is Nokia 3250
plz reply me

music101
03-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Here are some tips

19 tips: http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/10/19/top-19-tips-to-get-the-most-from-your-nokia-n91

Nokia Tips Guide (just select the language to use)

Also try this

a) Battery cover - HDD unavailable or in use another tip
turn off the phone
Removed back cover
Restarted phone
after restarting put the back cover
format hard disk

BR

music

rajanm1
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
the phone comes with a gps thing built in already, under tools then landmarks /position and you can set it so that you use the network based position. but there is nothing there, how do i load maps or places onto it, or do i need to install a device like tomtom?

also under contacts you just see the name, how do you set it to see the name and number?

and how do you set the phone memory to store sms etc. and not the hdd?

thanks

Shalva
10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi there. I have some problems with my nokia n91. I couldnot instal SIS files. When i am trying to instal it writes "not supported". Help me if you can. Plz.

Shalva
11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi

i have some problems with my nokia n91. I can't instal SIS files. It is not supported. Servise senter told me that i need SYMBIAN 9.1 3RD EDITION. But i can't find it. If you can help me... Give me some adress to download it to my phone. (hope it will be free)

nj7
11-04-2007, 07:07 PM
The OS of N91 is S60v3 or Symbian OS 9.1. You must find software compatible with S60v3. Do a search on software section of this site and you find a lot of them, free and pay ones.

Lazzari
13-04-2007, 10:41 AM
My N9 is asking for data to be removed before I can receive some texts messages how do I remove data and what data is it referring to? I have deleted my e-mails pictures and tunes but this is still not letting me receive these messages?
Any help advice appreciated.
Brian

music101
16-04-2007, 05:07 AM
1) It could be RAM is full. Try powering off the phone then on again

2) It could be ROM (phone memory is full). Could be you have old SW.

Take a look at these tips then

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/10/19/top-19-tips-to-get-the-most-from-your-nokia-n91/

good luck

rish1980
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I'm buying a new phone and N91 seems like the best choice for me.... since I have no mp3 player as well.... The only reason for my choice is music.. (and of course, calling)... I'm ready to shell out the money that its priced at.... but I'm scared about the reviews floating all around that it hangs a lot..... It constantly asks you to delete data in order to receive sms mesages.... etc. etc..
But I seem to love the music features that N91 boasts... especially the sound quality and the audio jack that it supports.

I dont want to spend so much and then be disappointed.. Pls advise if its better for me to buy N91. or a low-end (no-frill) phone+an Ipod nano. It should cost the same.....

Thnx & Rgds,
Rishal

nj7
01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
All in one piece is always better. But N91 is a bigger and heavy device. Take a look at N73Me, because is a better overall device, but with only 2gb card (replace option).

simonimas
27-05-2007, 12:56 PM
How I can install route 66 mobile 7 to Nokia n91....? :con? It doesn't work if I make by users manual :frown: