View Full Version : Advice - P990 3G

lz64
30-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi, I currently have a P900 (bought when it first came out) on Orange. If the P990 is available on the Three network, I was planning to switch.

However, I recall that 3 had a walled garden and did not allow you to install 3rd party apps - is this still the case?

My main use for the P900 is internet via Opera and some Symbianware products.

Thanks

Lz64

mikejgrantham
31-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Three still have the walled garden for prepaid customers, as far as I know.

If you are on a contract they provide a server called 3netaccess ( I'm in Australia using an Motorolla A920 )

It is different in other countries, you would need to check.

If you buy a contract you can get a Data plan or use the casual rate which is quite expensive, but ok for what I need.

I do hope 3 will release the P990 as I finished paying for my phone end of last year and I'm thinking of an upgrade.

Mike

jasong
31-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Hiho,

I would strongly advise against going to Three as they are (especially in the UK) hopeless.

Just my $0.02

Tra

JasonG

lz64
01-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks, for the advice - do you know if you can you load apps on to the Three's symbian phones e.g. motorola A1000?

LZ64

mikejgrantham
03-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks, for the advice - do you know if you can you load apps on to the Three's symbian phones e.g. motorola A1000?

LZ64

Yes you can load apps unto the A1000.

Mike

anothadave
26-05-2007, 01:32 PM
not sure why people say that Three are hopeless...ive been with them since october last year , i cant remember any problems with signal or service...and i live in the middle of deepest darkest cornwall!! i have 3G coverage 95% of the time, but cant say that i really use it.T he vidcam functions very nicely on the p990, but ive only used it just to see how it works.

i went with Three mainly because it only cost 15 a month for more txts an mins than i can use. The equivalent packages on the other networks cost over 40.

i have the P990i and i jus popped the sim in and it worked fine. as its not an official Three phone then its not possible to access planet Three (it jus says service restricted) but cant say ive ever had the desire to use it. if i want mp3s or videos i download them on my regular pc and just transfer them across.
The p990 is a very nice phone, and now that the firmware has been updated it is much more stable. i have tom tom 6 installed and it works brilliantly. i would recommend installing swiss manager ( a free app) The keyboard is jus about the right size and makes txting very easy. The only slight downside with the phone i really notice is the short battery life. the battery is less powerful than on previous models and doesnt last very long.

hopefully one day Three will allow the p990i to access the whole of the Three network. seems like the ideal phone to make use of Threes 3G services so is rather strange why they dont support it