View Full Version : Sync N70 over the air to Exchange

erapoint
12-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi, is anyone using an N70 or other Symbian phone to sync to an exchange server via the internet connection? I am about to buy 3-4 N70's for my office but i want to know that this is possible. So far the only way i have heard of doing this is with RoadSync by Dataviz but its not actually available yet. Can you do it with the standard software? I am running 2003 exchange server and i know that it has the capability.

Thanks,

N/A
12-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Without support for Microsoft ActiveSync on the phone you can't do it without additional software. Nokia is not offering any ActiveSync for the N70 (maybe for future phones), so RoadSync (if it ever supports the N70) is one alternative.

Other ways to do it is with additional server-side software; namely, a SyncML server product that knows how to handle Exchange. With a SyncML server the phone's built in [Remote] Sync client is enough.

erapoint
12-12-2005, 11:16 PM
can you give me the name of a SyncML server product for Exchange? the roadsync product sounds good but if i end up buying 4 licenses at $100 US ea it could work out cheaper to have software on the server.

many thanks for your help, N/A

or alternatively, is there a windows pocket PC mobile phone product that runs on the 3G network. i understand that the windows pocket PC phones have activ-sync built in and this makes it very easy to sync to the exchange server.

messus
06-01-2006, 10:25 AM
This is an interesting issue which I am currently trying to look further into.

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 is supporting Exchage Active Sync;
http://www.newlc.com/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=4

and Nokia has licensed Microsoft Exchange Server ActiveSync for use on
their S60 and S80 devices;
http://www.symbianone.com/content/view/1484/97/
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=4056
http://www.symbianone.com/content/view/2674/

The above article(s) are approx one year old, and I would expect
new S60 units today to have this feature embedded.

Though not stated (as far as I know) that the Nokia N70 has
this feature embedded I am actually able to find the "Active Sync"
service when I search for bluetooth services on my N70,
so something regarding "Active Sync" is there on my Nokia N70.

I have not succeeded testing this yet since my employer is
running an older version of MS Exchange Server than 2003,
but a friend is gonna set me up a test account with Exchange 2003.

I have a trial version of Datawiz Roadsync for S60 which I
have tried on my N70 without getting it to work.

Will post more when I know..

gaxor
06-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I am using Onemailtogo which utilizes Outlook web access and converts the HTML to text. Works as a good stop-gap solution for picking up email off the server anyway. Our maitenance organisation is trialing Exchange Server SP2 which includes exchange push technology which Symbian phones can use, hope to have the info back next week on how successful it is.

messus
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Here are the screenshots of Active Sync being detected on my Nokia N70.

When I search for bluetooth services on my Nokia 6600, Active Sync is
not found.

Rafe
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
RoadSync (DataViz) is planned to support S60 handsets - my guess would be they'll announce support at 3GSM. That will work with S60 2nd Edition phones.

Exchange support is being built into the E-Sereies phones. Not sure about the other Series 60 3rd Edition phones.

N/A
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
You can find a list of SyncML compliant products here:
http://www.openmobilealliance.com/tech/affiliates/syncml/syncml_compliant_products.html

messus
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I got a reply from Nokia (Norway) today where they
say that there is no embedded support for Active Sync/Exchange Server
embedded in the Nokia N70.

They did not know why my N70 show Active Sync when I search
for bluetooth services..

Well, neither do I...

Anyway, it may be a hint that the upcoming N80 has this feature
embedded since the upcoming "business phones" (E-series) from
Nokia are supposed to have Active Sync for Exchange embedded,
and the N80 is listed among these on the product pages for
RoadSync from Dataviz.

http://www.dataviz.com/solutions/enterprise/roadsync/supported_devices.html

Still, I wonder why my N70 detects Active Sync service......

N/A
09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
They did not know why my N70 show Active Sync when I search
for bluetooth services..

Well, neither do I...I suppose it just detects and lists whatever Bluetooth devices/services are advertised/broadcasted by your PC. It doesn't mean that the phone can use it for anything.

messus
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
I suppose it just detects and lists whatever Bluetooth devices/services are advertised/broadcasted by your PC. It doesn't mean that the phone can use it for anything.

Sorry, it seems like my english is a bit rusy, I meant that my PC is discovering Active Sync on the Nokia N70, not the opposite way around..

Look at my postings above...

erapoint
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Roadsync for S60 is still not available, can anyone tell me where i can get the trial version? i am running Exchange 2003 SP2. the Roadsync site doesnt list the N70 as compatible.

this should be an easy thing to do, i dont understand why they havent made this function a priority

4irm
13-01-2006, 01:58 AM
even if the n70 belongs to the new n series, it is still a S60 2nd edition phone, the upcoming phones will be 3rd edition phones, maybe this could be a reason that it wont be supported.
The funny thing is that dataviz shows an E61 which defentily includes MS ActiveSync (see data sheet at nokia's website) - no need for additionel SW.
Anyway, I do not think that the other models will include ActiveSync (n80, n91...), because nobody has it mentioned so far, even if the 3rd edition spezification includes ActiveSync - I think it is nokia's strategy.
The call these models smartphones! Without the ability to sync email, especially with an MS Exchange Server which has been established as a standard for years.

regards
irm

messus
13-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Roadsync for S60 is still not available, can anyone tell me where i can get the trial version? i am running Exchange 2003 SP2. the Roadsync site doesnt list the N70 as compatible.

this should be an easy thing to do, i dont understand why they havent made this function a priority

Here I have uploaded the trial version I have. As I have said, I have not been
able to test it, so maybe you can.

I hope I am not violationg any rights/laws by upploading this file, it's a
90 days demo I downloaded some time ago from Dataviz to test on my
6600, so I think it should be allright sharing this.
The software integrates with the messaging function of the phone.

You may have to install VPN software on your phone to get full access
to your network. This software is available on the web-pages of the
Nokia N70.

The software is version 1.001 (37) Demo..

elvreg
29-01-2006, 10:29 PM
The RoadSync demo messus posted is a read-only version but it works great on a 6620 using Exchange 2003 SP2. I hope they release a full featured version soon, I know I'll buy a license.

=BT=viper
24-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I installed the S60 demo on my N70. Works fine on my Exchange SP2.

I hope the final will be able to sync contacts, jobs and more like the UIQ version.

Is there no way to sync with Exchange with the included sync feature?

N/A
26-03-2006, 06:02 AM
Is there no way to sync with Exchange with the included sync feature?Two ways:
- Synch locally with a PC and Outlook which is in synch with the Exchange server
- Synch over-the-air by buying and installing a SyncML Server that connects to your Exhancge server

frenzy
26-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi, is anyone using an N70 or other Symbian phone to sync to an exchange server via the internet connection? I am about to buy 3-4 N70's for my office but i want to know that this is possible. So far the only way i have heard of doing this is with RoadSync by Dataviz but its not actually available yet. Can you do it with the standard software? I am running 2003 exchange server and i know that it has the capability.

Thanks,

there is http://www.alwaysonmail.com/buy_now.html

l think they support N70.. maybe you should try it or contact them

erapoint
10-04-2006, 11:38 PM
hey i downloaded the Roadsync trial and its working on my phone, but i get an error when i try and sync. it doesnt recognise the SSL cert i have on my mail server. can i download the SSL certificate to my phone? how do i do that? or is there some setting i need to change on the exchange server? i am using exchange 2003 SP1 (not 2 yet)

nimmat
25-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Many thanks.. the Demo version of RoadSync works great :) However it syncs only email and not cal or contacts. Is anyone aware if there is a newer version of Roadsync that does the remaining 2? It would not make it worth buying the software as email only can still be achived using IMAP4 type mailbox and also works like a charm but the only difference is that its not push so has to rely on schedule.

I am ideally looking for Calendar synchrniation over the air.

Nim

messus
26-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I have e-mailed Dataviz, and they have not set a date yet when a full version for
the S60 platform will be released. They encouraged me to mail them my inputs.

If everybody who reads this forum does the same, it will be recognized by them.

Under the compatbile units though, they have not listed the N70, only newer
units with S60 V9.1 (except the 3230).

Let's not hope they will only concentrate on S60 v9.1, but also v8.1 (N70).

e-mail Dataviz about it..

www.dataviz.com

patrick1031
19-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I've installed the Roadsync demo version in my N70. It works fine. Does anyone know the final version has released yet?

erapoint
20-06-2006, 12:49 AM
i cant seem to get the Roadsync trial version to sync. i think the problem is with exchange settings. i went through the installation manual from Roadsync and changed the required settings in exchange, and i installed my SSL certificate on my phone. i am getting error #403 which Roadsync says "check with your exchange administrator". i emailed Datavis and got no reply. any ideas? i have HTTPS and windows mobile device connections enabled on my server.

at least the 90 day trial doesnt seem to expire :)

edu60
23-06-2006, 10:43 AM
hi,it is my website
www.edu60.com (http://www.edu60.com)
www.webjipiao.com (http://www.webjipiao.com)

edu60
23-06-2006, 10:54 AM
www.edu60.com (http://www.edu60.com)
www.webjipiao.com (http://www.webjipiao.com)

ech.ess1
13-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Here I have uploaded the trial version I have. As I have said, I have not been
able to test it, so maybe you can.

I hope I am not violationg any rights/laws by upploading this file, it's a
90 days demo I downloaded some time ago from Dataviz to test on my
6600, so I think it should be allright sharing this.
The software integrates with the messaging function of the phone.

You may have to install VPN software on your phone to get full access
to your network. This software is available on the web-pages of the
Nokia N70.

The software is version 1.001 (37) Demo..
Hi Messus,

Thanks alot for uploading the software of RoadSync. I downloaded the software from DataViz site but it was curropt. Your one works (thanks again).

Well everyone: i have installed the version uploaded by Messus and it really works and no other software is required to run it. It was easily synched with my exchange server and its working wonderful.

If you guys have any query, dont hesitate to write to me.

BR,
Haroon Sadiq

evobit
09-09-2006, 02:22 AM
FANTASTIC!!!

This has been the biggest problem with Nokia cell phones for EVER!

I just installed it on my N70 (fw5.xx) and it worked flawlessly first time.
We don't have certificate required turn on.

Can't wait to be able to send email as well!

messus
13-09-2006, 08:33 AM
FANTASTIC!!!

This has been the biggest problem with Nokia cell phones for EVER!

I just installed it on my N70 (fw5.xx) and it worked flawlessly first time.
We don't have certificate required turn on.

Can't wait to be able to send email as well!

It looks like there won't be a full version for Symbian S60 V2 which
enables you to send mails, and sync contacts and tasks as well.

There is a new version out now from DataViz for S60 V3+, but I am
not sure if even this version will have full MS Exchange support
with sending and syncing of contacts capabilities.

I am now currently trying to install and test Nokias own software suite,
Intellisync. But this suite is an expensive piece of software which also
requires to be installed on the MS Exchange server.