View Full Version : transferring games from old memory card

paulcollins10
12-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I used to have a N6630 and have just upgraded to the N70.

When i put my memory card for the 6630 into the n70 all my old games appear on the n70 handset buit i have no idea how to transfer to the phone memory so thjat when i put in my new memory card, they are all still there.

Is there anyway of transferring games and apps from an old memory card to a new handset?

Jimbob
13-11-2005, 03:43 PM
If can can connect to Nokia Suite then you can either use the backup or content copier, or you can use the file transfer and save your old content in a new folder on your hard drive then transfer it back to you phone once you have inserted the new card.

I did this when I upgraded to a 512mb card from the standard 64mb card.

Just a thought....... Isn't the card from the 6630 the same card as the N70, therefore there's no reason to transfer everything across to new card when you can just use your old card????

To transfer data from a mem card to phone all you need to do is find it in the phones 'file manager', hit 'options', hit 'Move to folder', choose between phone or mem card and place it wherever you like on the phones memory.

Does that make sense? If not just let me know.

paulcollins10
13-11-2005, 06:09 PM
it makes perfect sense and thanks for your help.

Problem is the only folders i have in the file manager in the memory card are images, muvee clips, other, sound clips and video clips so i can't access any of the games to move them to the phone memory.

Reason i am using the new memory card is because the old one was only 32MB and new one is 64 MB

gadget_sa
13-11-2005, 09:21 PM
If can can connect to Nokia Suite then you can either use the backup or content copier, or you can use the file transfer and save your old content in a new folder on your hard drive then transfer it back to you phone once you have inserted the new card.

I did this when I upgraded to a 512mb card from the standard 64mb card.

Just a thought....... Isn't the card from the 6630 the same card as the N70, therefore there's no reason to transfer everything across to new card when you can just use your old card????

To transfer data from a mem card to phone all you need to do is find it in the phones 'file manager', hit 'options', hit 'Move to folder', choose between phone or mem card and place it wherever you like on the phones memory.

Does that make sense? If not just let me know.

You got me on this one JimBob...

It makes sense what you say..
but I'm confused on what you suggest using....(highlighted in red on your quote)
Out of the three, I only have BACKUP on my Nokia Suite.... have I missed something... or am I missing something?

Cheers

Jimbob
15-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Backup and Content Copier are the same app with PC Suite, both under Backup. Before you have connected the phone in backup it will ask if you would like to backup a phone, restore a backup, transfer contents from phone to pc or transfer contents from pc to phone.

The 1st 2 are backup functions and the second 2 are content copiers.

Content copier is better if you are transferring data from one phone to another where back up is better if you lose all the data on your phone and need to restore back to it's former glory.

File transfer may be called something else, in the opening screen of pc suite it's on the top row, think it's the 3rd from the left. It's basically explorer but with your phone contents.

Hope this makes more sense.

Jimbob
15-11-2005, 10:57 AM
it makes perfect sense and thanks for your help.

Problem is the only folders i have in the file manager in the memory card are images, muvee clips, other, sound clips and video clips so i can't access any of the games to move them to the phone memory.

Reason i am using the new memory card is because the old one was only 32MB and new one is 64 MB

Do you have access to pc suite,? If so, the best thing to do is to make a backup of your mem card and then swap the cards around and then restore the backup on the new card.

gadget_sa
15-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks JimBob,
Yep, makes sense now.... and having had another look, I have used the Backup a few times, and never noticed the content copier...!!

Although I am dubious on the backup/restore facility.

Did a complete back up on one day, then messed about with the phone and tried a restore a couple of days later.... it flagged up that it couldn't transfer everything back to the memory card as it was full!

Now I found this interesting so messed about a bit more. I would have thought that if you do a Restore, then whatever is on your memory card would be completely overwritten, but it doesn't appear to be the case as it downloaded everything (barr one video file as it said the memory card was full) and still kept a couple of new applications on there that I had installed that day.

I was rushing a bit so I'm going to try again sometime and see exactly what is being copied back and what is not being overwritten!!

I'm guessing that if you have a backup of the phone and MC, then technically you should be able to format the card and it should put everything back on.... even the pre-installed stuff? Or am I wrong?

I've not used the content copier bit, but I'm guessing that its kind of the same thing?!

Jimbob
15-11-2005, 12:17 PM
It is the same thing just changes the format of the file saved. Can't remember the format to hand, think backups are saved as .nfc?

I was using the content copier the other day to reformat my mem card, it came up with the option to overwrite original data or add to the mem card which I believe backup doesnt.

slitchfield
15-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I used to have a N6630 and have just upgraded to the N70.

When i put my memory card for the 6630 into the n70 all my old games appear on the n70 handset buit i have no idea how to transfer to the phone memory so thjat when i put in my new memory card, they are all still there.

Is there anyway of transferring games and apps from an old memory card to a new handset?

Applications are best re-installed anyway, on a new handset, rather than using an existing installation on an old memory card. Otherwise:

1) the main Settings | Manager registry will be wrong
2) many commercial apps won't work anyway, because the IMEI/registration will be wrong.

The best strategy in this situation is to reinstall all 3rd party apps from their master SIS files on your PC, re-entering reg codes if applicable (you'll need to request new ones for IMEI-based apps)

Hope this helps!

Steve Litchfield

gadget_sa
15-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Ok thanx guys,

So to get this straight,

When I get my new 512mb card, do a complete back up of:
the phone,
the 64mb card (original Nokia) with all the pre-installed and owner installed software
the 128mb card with TomTom,

Then stick the new card in and do a restore of the phone and both cards and it should put all the MC stuff onto one card?

Am I right?

slitchfield
15-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Ok thanx guys,

So to get this straight,

When I get my new 512mb card, do a complete back up of:
the phone,
the 64mb card (original Nokia) with all the pre-installed and owner installed software
the 128mb card with TomTom,

Then stick the new card in and do a restore of the phone and both cards and it should put all the MC stuff onto one card?

Am I right?

No, no, you can just overlay the contents of the two cards into a single folder structure on your hard disk. Then copy the lot onto the larger card.

Though see my notes above on not using apps from a different handset.

Steve Litchfield
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/

gadget_sa
15-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok Steve, think I'm getting there, (bear with me)

So basically,
Open the File Manager, copy the contents of both MC's into a folder on my PC,
Then stick the new card in and drop the contents of that folder back onto the new card using the file manager bit!

Easy enough?!

However, what happens to all the pre-installed stuff on the original MC, because I don't see these files when I open up the File Manager.... eg Office

Sorry to be a pain!

gadget_sa
29-11-2005, 10:44 AM
No, no, you can just overlay the contents of the two cards into a single folder structure on your hard disk. Then copy the lot onto the larger card.

Though see my notes above on not using apps from a different handset.

Steve Litchfield
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/

Hi Steve,
Well, I hope I understood you right on this...
I plugged the phone in. Created a folder on my desktop (Nokia MC), opened up Nokia Suite, File Manager then copied all of the contents of the MC to the new folder.
Stuck the new MC in, formatted it, then copied from the New Folder back to the MC.
For some reason, it only copied 18mb of 47mb of information.
My pictures were there, but any Nokia software had not transferred, my installed apps kind of copied over, I could see some of them by name (not all) but the icon was like a pice of Jigsaw, and they wouldn't run.

Don't suppose you have any ideas of what I'm (or the MC) is doing wrong?

Heres hoping you can help.