View Full Version : N70 MMS Problem

fluid78
19-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi there

I've been trying to send some MMS messages today and have been having problems. It works for small messages (say <30kb) but for messages between 50 and 100kb it is unable to send. I sometimes get the error "Multimedia Message Centre Not Responding. Try again later." I spoke to Vodafone and they seem to think it might be a handset issue. I was just wondering if anyone else on Vodafone using an N70 has managed to send any MMS messages between 50 and 100kb? Apparently 100kb is the Vodafone limit for a single MMS.

Thanks in advance.

fluid78
15-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Just wondering what the latest on this problem is. I've been unable to send >40kb MMS ever since I got my Vodafone (unbranded) N70. Who else on Vodafone is still having this problem and who has had success? Cheers.

Ratkat
16-11-2005, 02:04 AM
It is logged as a fault with Vodafone, ring them by calling 191 and log the fault yourself as well, it is the only way it will ever get solved, it is NOT a fault with your phone but with the network accepting the messages.

Tell them it is NOT a problem with settings on the phone, you wish to be put through to someone technical, that the fault has been logged by someone else before.

I have done all this, the more people that do it the faster it will get resolved.

fluid78
16-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have logged the fault with Vodafone and they have given me a reference number. Hopefully this irritating problem will get solved quickly.

fluid78
16-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Just an update with a workaround suggested on another forum. I connected to Vodafone Live and then while connected I switched to Messaging and successfully managed to send a 51kb MMS to myself. Strange, but it works...I guess it's a temporary solution...

Ratkat
16-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Just an update with a workaround suggested on another forum. I connected to Vodafone Live and then while connected I switched to Messaging and successfully managed to send a 51kb MMS to myself. Strange, but it works...I guess it's a temporary solution...

Just tried that out, sent a 83kb video clip via MMS to the wife, sent perfectly, received perfectly.

A very good workround, least I can send clips now:)

gadget_sa
16-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Yep.... it works allright.... 93kb to myself!!

Guess it's tme to log this with Vodafone.... god they're gonna hate me... I'm always complaining bout something!!!
But hey, it got me my phone free gratis on a 12 month contract at 18.00 a month, so I guess they can hate me!!!

gadget_sa
16-11-2005, 03:26 PM
One thing I have just noticed.... it only allowed me to record 10 seconds of MMS as a 3GP format.
Can this be changed....

I know that if you just use the video (which records MP4's) you can record as long as you like, but you can't send MP4's via MMS!!!

Very annoying.

Ratkat
16-11-2005, 03:40 PM
If you were able to record more than 11 seconds or in MP4 format, the resulting clip would be too large to send.

Hopefully one day the networks will allow us to MMS larger pics/clips.

For now, I'm just glad there is a way too send the 40k up to 100k clips.

gadget_sa
16-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Ah right.... yes makes sense now..... over 11 seconds would take you over the 100kb cos my 98kb was just on the 10 seconds.....
And I hadn't looked at the MP4 side like that.... I have a couple of smaller ones on the phone, but now I look at them, even a 3 second one is about 300kb!!

Cheers for that!

fluid78
16-11-2005, 05:37 PM
One thing you can do if you want to send videos that you have recorded in MP4 format is edit them for MMS. Go to your gallery, select the video you want to send, then go to Options and select Edit. Then select Options, Movie and Edit for MMS. The processing can take quite a while sometimes depending on how large the video is. You then select a 9 second portion of the original video to send via MMS. Just hold down the cursor keys. Then you can go to Options and Send Via multimedia.

The bad things about doing this are obviously the clip is just 9 seconds in length and the quality is poor MMS standard. However, the good thing is you can record long clips in high quality and then later select the best bits to send via MMS.

The only other thing you can do is send full long MP4 clips via email but the cost is about 2.35 per m/b so not cheap at all!