View Full Version : Opera 7.0 beta 1 (Small Screen Rendering)

Afonso
14-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Altough this is NOT the browser that comes with the P800 it will probably be available as add-on application shortly after P800's comercial launch (my guessing).

Meanwhile you can install and play around with the free desktop version that allows you to preview on your PC what the pages would look like on the small device screen (use Shift+F11, took me a while to find).
Nice feature that you can open 2 (or more) windows/panels and have the normal and small-screen version side by side to compare.
Very usefull to develop web content adapted to both screen sizes (unfortunatly this forum is unusable on small screen mode cry ).

Free download at
http//www.opera.com/download/index.dml?opsys=windows&platform=windows&lng=en&ve r=7.0b1

lwongveros
14-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Afonso, on one of CNet's interviews with Opera's CEO (available on their news.com website as a downloadable video) they showed the Opera small-screen rendering web-browser working on the P800. Quite funny actually because he starts out with a 7650 in his hand but quickly changes to the P800 saying something to the effect of "this is a very nice device"...

Lonnie

Afonso
14-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Actually he was kind of embarrassed with the 7650 and trying to get it off his hands ASAP. I wonder why... wink
In fact I think he took it on board just because x00.000s of the darn bricks have been sold already.
Personaly I think that spending money on a html brower for a 36k pixel screen device is a complete waste of money.

If anyone finds out how to configure the pixel width of O7's SSR mode please let us know. I wonder if O7 for the P800 can be used in a landscape (320 pixel wide) orientation?

J2theIZZO
14-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Check this out!!!!!

anthonyjcrocks
15-11-2002, 03:22 AM
Where on earth did you get that?....You have one?

J2theIZZO
15-11-2002, 08:45 AM
:D :D
If I told you i'd have to kill you!

Nah,

That's Dazler!

His review should be along in due course. ;)

Mac
15-11-2002, 09:54 AM
What's that application called? Painting Area or just Note?

Not bad :angel:

Jimbo9
15-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Jotter

anthonyjcrocks
15-11-2002, 11:38 AM
no really do you have one already>.......come on man....stop pulling my leg.....

J2theIZZO
15-11-2002, 01:25 PM
no really do you have one already>.......come on man....stop pulling my leg.....

No it's not mine, it belongs to Symbian or SE (I guess)

Dazler will more, but you'll have to wait for his review.

:)
15-11-2002, 07:59 PM
/Me can't wait to see Dazlerz review!

C'mon dazler! Hurry up! :P

Rear_Admiral
18-11-2002, 01:19 AM
So Dazler, when do you expect to post your review?, i'm really interested in your views. Will you post some pics made with the cam, and maybe compare pics made with 7650 of the same objects? :roll:

J2theIZZO
18-11-2002, 12:49 PM
I think Dazler is pretty busy at the moment, but as I said it shouldn't be too long now.

anthonyjcrocks
18-11-2002, 02:02 PM
well i hope so....

darrylyk
19-11-2002, 03:48 PM
So Dazler, when do you expect to post your review?, i'm really interested in your views. Will you post some pics made with the cam, and maybe compare pics made with 7650 of the same objects? :roll:

Same here.. I do not like pictures taken with 7650 so can you show me the comparisons of the photos. I got high hope of the gd quality picture of P800 as T68i COmmunicam already deliver better pictures then 7650.
:angel:

TheSpecialBoy
20-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Bring It On, Bring It On...I want It 2 :x-mas:

21-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Actually he was kind of embarrassed with the 7650 and trying to get it off his hands ASAP. I wonder why... ;) In fact I think he took it on board just because x00.000s of the darn bricks have been sold already.
Simply because the P800 version was further along in development and made a better demo. We didn't have any good saved pages on the 7650... ;)
Personaly I think that spending money on a html brower for a 36k pixel screen device is a complete waste of money.
You'd be surprised how well it works...
If anyone finds out how to configure the pixel width of O7's SSR mode please let us know.
Not possible for the end user. The Opera 7 beta is configured for 168 pixels (Series 60 minus a few pixels margin). In time, we will probably ship desktop versions where you can choose between the different devices Opera will be available for.
I wonder if O7 for the P800 can be used in a landscape (320 pixel wide) orientation?
I'm afraid not. The Opera engine supports it (we have it running fine on the Sharp Zaurus), but we need some more support from the OS before it will be available on Symbian devices.

Dag Olav
Opera Software

Rear_Admiral
21-11-2002, 04:05 PM
I have some questions about Opera for mobile devices: Will there be advertisements in the mobile version, like in the desktop version? In the bta when pressing Shift+F11, i have problems visiting blackboard forums, in which I only get a part of the site (in some cases, only the left frame...) will this be fixed in the release version?

22-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi

How about Javascript and frames in opera 7 for P800 ?

Rear_Admiral
28-11-2002, 10:31 PM
Opera is the default browser for Symbian OS communicator devices and is bundled with the operating system. The user interface is developed by UIQ and is part of the general delivery to the licensees.

The recently introduced Small-Screen Rendering technology is currently being ported to the UIQ platform. Please contact us for more information about availability of this feature.

Opera for UIQ is currently not available for download or purchase by end-users. If in the future a UIQ based device ships without Opera we will reconsider this policy.

Please contact us if you are interested in our browser for UIQ or for availability of the UIQ feature and explain how you believe our companies can work together. Demo versions will be made available to key partners.

This came from here (http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/products/uiq/)

This means Opera is going to be shipped with p800, doesn't it? But p800 aleady has the web browser.... I don't get it anymore

Afonso
29-11-2002, 11:29 PM
This means Opera is going to be shipped with p800, doesn't it? But p800 aleady has the web browser.... I don't get it anymore

Simple the browser shipped with P800 IS from Opera, only it is a version that still does not implemment SSR. You will have to scroll pages both sideways and up/down and images don't get automaticaly resized to the screen width.

Afonso
10-12-2002, 09:30 AM
http//www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74592