View Full Version : Help Getting a 3650 in the US?

switchme
14-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am working on a project for a college class and need to get a hold of a 3650 or 7650 for the project. Obviously, being a college student I have a limited budget, but I am willing to pay for a phone if necessary. Can anyone out there help me get ahold of one of these phones? If so, please let me know ASAP. Thanks!

Rafe
14-11-2002, 10:14 AM
The 3650 isn't publically available at the moment.

A 7650 wont work in the US, but you could buy from http://www.exspansys.com

You could try contacting Nokia USA, they might deem your project worthy if you're lucky.

Rafe

switchme
14-11-2002, 03:41 PM
I know the 3650 isn't available yet, but I was hoping there were prototype phones out there somewhere that I could get ahold of for development. I know the 7650 isn't meant for the US, but I thought I could still use it without service just to demonstrate my application. Do you know if the phone will function to do this without service in the US? Thanks.

J2theIZZO
14-11-2002, 03:52 PM
If your just application testing I can't see why not.

You won't get any network coverage is what he's trying to say. I'm not sure about accessing the phone without a sim, but I can't see why not.

Have you tried contacting Nokia USA to ask them?

switchme
14-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Ok, I don't need network service, so I thought it would work as well for testing. Can anyone out there confirm this for me??

I have contacted Nokia Corporate Communications, but it is very difficult to get in touch with anyone. The one time I did speak with a real person, she took me contact information and said she would get in touch with the right people to help me...it's been three weeks and I have not heard back! :-? I've tried calling back many times, but cannot reach anyone. Does anyone here have contact information for Nokia that they could send me?

J2theIZZO
14-11-2002, 04:39 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll see if I can get my 7650 to work without a sim.

J2theIZZO
14-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Ok I've tried, I just get "Insert Sim", but I have an idea that someone can confirm or not?

If you bought the 7650 from Europe (Say the UK) you could also buy a sim from the UK (PAYG) which would cost very little, then when you turned in on in the US you would get get no signal but the phone would be fully functional.

Maybe you could put a US sim in the phone and it would work the same way.

When there is no sim you can still enter numbers so I suppose there will be a "Engineers" mode that will make it fully functional without a sim, but I don't know what it is.

sowen
16-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Could you use the Nokia Series 60 SDK emulator, it's a free download from the Nokia site? You could then demostrate your app on a PC