View Full Version : No New N-Gage Hardware, But Lots Of Innovation

Ewan
13-10-2005, 04:35 PM
One clear message from Nokia's 'N-Gage in Barcelona' is that there will be no new N-Gage hardware in the near future (ie first half of 2006). The continuing push on mobile gaming, and driving the N-Gage brand onto other Series 60 devices in the next few years means that any new unit development would drain too many resources. Given some of the titles that have broken cover for 2006, and the plans laid out by Gerard Weiner and Nokia, I think it's a good decision. More news and commentary from Barcelona is going to be forthcoming.

krisse
13-10-2005, 05:00 PM
I wish Nokia would release something IN ENGLISH so we can have a chance to spread what they're saying round the world...

Sorry if that sounds a bit imperialist, but english is by far the most common second language so it really is in everyone's interest to use the Lingua Franca.

There will actually be new hardware, but it will be in the form of new smartphones that have faster processors, better displays etc. They won't have the N-gage brand but they will use existing N-gage games as well as being ready to use the Next Gen games which appear to be scheduled for the end of 2006 or beginning of 2007.

and the plans laid out by Ferard Weiner and Nokia,

That's Gerard Wiener for those who are wondering ;)

Ewan
13-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Strictly speaking there will be a new Series 60 device, at OS 9.1, that will be designed in mind for gaming, but it's not going to be availablefor some time (almost a year, at the earliest), and the move to this Next Generation Content is pushing for OS 9.1 and S60 v3, with certain added functions - so the N91 for example isn't going to run n-Gage games just because it fits the OS and Specs... In that sense, that's what I mean by no N-Gage hardware (an N-Gage mark 3) if you will.

ravis_31
14-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Strictly speaking there will be a new Series 60 device, at OS 9.1, that will be designed in mind for gaming, but it's not going to be availablefor some time (almost a year, at the earliest), and the move to this Next Generation Content is pushing for OS 9.1 and S60 v3, with certain added functions - so the N91 for example isn't going to run n-Gage games just because it fits the OS and Specs... In that sense, that's what I mean by no N-Gage hardware (an N-Gage mark 3) if you will.
as krisse said,the next-gen smartphones will be like "n-gage inside",but this will leave out the hardcore gamers:(
i hope nokia will release a gaming-optimised model with the controller on the left and the keys to the right(with the best possible combinations)it'll be difficult to play the n-gage games single-handed

krisse
14-10-2005, 08:26 AM
In that sense, that's what I mean by no N-Gage hardware (an N-Gage mark 3) if you will.

But there never was any "n-gage hardware" in the first place :)

What we call N-gage is really just standard Symbian Series 60 hardware with an N-gage logo on it and some DRM software built-in.

The current N-gage is pretty much just a Nokia 3650 in a horizontally shaped casing. That's how pirates were able to run cracked N-gage games on other Symbian phones.

N-Gage doesn't really mean anything except a brand name, all the hardware is Symbian Series 60 and there's plenty of new S60 hardware coming out all the time.

I know you know all that Ewan, but it bears repeating so that newbies understand what Nokia's doing. They're not abandoning a system, they're just moving from a horizontal-shaped casing to a phone-shaped one. The only thing they're abandoning (if anything) is a brand name.

Some people are saying "there's no new N-gage", but there already is, it's just it won't be called "N-gage", it'll be called "Nokia 6630" or whatever models turn out to use the service.

I agree with Ravis that Nokia ought to do a new horizontal-shaped model to please the hardcore fans, not just for the sake of N-gage/Next Gen games but also Symbian and Java fans. They've done this before with the Nokia 3300, that seemed to sell okay so why not do it again?

Ewan
14-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Krisse - exactly, and I 'm sure when I relax a bit I'll have this all down in a clear editorial. One thing, the 'N-Gage' as a brand name is very oimportant to Nokia, and you can be sure that this is staying for the long term. Any 'N-Gage Inside' program will be branded with N-Gage, although the actual program and identity will be announced in a few months. My guess is at E3.

In terms of design, I think Nokia should do both, both candybar phones and a 'traditional game design' phone as well. They probably will.

ravis_31
14-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Krisse - exactly, and I 'm sure when I relax a bit I'll have this all down in a clear editorial. One thing, the 'N-Gage' as a brand name is very oimportant to Nokia, and you can be sure that this is staying for the long term. Any 'N-Gage Inside' program will be branded with N-Gage, although the actual program and identity will be announced in a few months. My guess is at E3.

In terms of design, I think Nokia should do both, both candybar phones and a 'traditional game design' phone as well. They probably will.
they must,can you possibly imagine playing ONE on a candy bar phone with one hand on the joystick and other on the keys or how are you supposed to play high seize or games which make use of both the controller and the keys???

Viipottaja
14-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Damn, I agree with everything.. lol.. including that they must release something at some point that really fits gaming better than your regulat N70s etc. I would not like a gamepad attachement or any other form of separate controls to be the only way to get real gaming controls.

jordan
15-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Global change of nGage hardware will be a mistake (my opinion). They start with this platform (Series60 i mean) with something in mind, and there is no need to lose it.
Yes, the 176x208 screen is small, CPU power is not the top, but Nokia miss 3 things to make nGage a hit. Maybe now this can be masked under evolution and to fix the troubles quietly ?
Probably it was discussed hundred times before, but now is a good moment to analyse the past (from my point of view - sorted by importance) :
- No nGage exclusive HIT games (like Tetris for GameBoy, Lumines for PSP, etc.) Come on, Tomb Raider can not make the console a hit... The exclusive title should be something very simple and very original. Something, that everybody (from casual to hardcore gamer) will play with pleasure.
- No good marketing strategy. Nothing more to say. They didn't succeed to point out the strenghts of this platform, compared to everything else... and they didn't succeed to build a strong community around this device.
- First nGage gave to the critics many many issues. If QD was the only nGage device, i'm sure the situation would be different now.

But after all, I'm surprised a little bit, that there will be no new hardware, after the demo movies (published on www.n-gage.com) from E3. I expect actually, that following the NOKIA strategy to build everything around existing platform, the next nGage hardware will be based on 7700 or something like this. And i expect this to be the next fiasco on mobile gaming. This was an off-topic ;)

But now, more interesting is, what we expect from NOKIA to do for the lovely nGage ? Or what YOU will do, if you was the head of NOKIA mobile entertainment department ?
If i was - here is my plan :
1. Find 2-3 very maniacal titles and release them for PC (some of them) and nGage ONLY. The people should be able to addict on their personal computers first, and than if they want to play the same anywhere, they will be able ONLY on my platform. No PSP, no GBA, no DS ! (maybe Catan is a move like that ?)
2. Start advertisements from scratch. Assume, that people don't have any idea about nGage and start from the beginning. nGage is not a console + phone, not a phone for gamers, it is your always connected media, entertainment and communication center. A center fit in your pocket.
3. Build a strong community. Pay to gamespot, 1up, /., printable gaming magazines... where you can to write and discuss everything about nGage and related products. Even place "nGage" logo on different than nGage devices (as Sony-Ericsson have "walkman" on some music-phones).

ravis_31
17-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Global change of nGage hardware will be a mistake (my opinion). They start with this platform (Series60 i mean) with something in mind, and there is no need to lose it.
Yes, the 176x208 screen is small, CPU power is not the top, but Nokia miss 3 things to make nGage a hit. Maybe now this can be masked under evolution and to fix the troubles quietly ?
Probably it was discussed hundred times before, but now is a good moment to analyse the past (from my point of view - sorted by importance) :
- No nGage exclusive HIT games (like Tetris for GameBoy, Lumines for PSP, etc.) Come on, Tomb Raider can not make the console a hit... The exclusive title should be something very simple and very original. Something, that everybody (from casual to hardcore gamer) will play with pleasure.
- No good marketing strategy. Nothing more to say. They didn't succeed to point out the strenghts of this platform, compared to everything else... and they didn't succeed to build a strong community around this device.
- First nGage gave to the critics many many issues. If QD was the only nGage device, i'm sure the situation would be different now.

But after all, I'm surprised a little bit, that there will be no new hardware, after the demo movies (published on www.n-gage.com) from E3. I expect actually, that following the NOKIA strategy to build everything around existing platform, the next nGage hardware will be based on 7700 or something like this. And i expect this to be the next fiasco on mobile gaming. This was an off-topic ;)

But now, more interesting is, what we expect from NOKIA to do for the lovely nGage ? Or what YOU will do, if you was the head of NOKIA mobile entertainment department ?
If i was - here is my plan :
1. Find 2-3 very maniacal titles and release them for PC (some of them) and nGage ONLY. The people should be able to addict on their personal computers first, and than if they want to play the same anywhere, they will be able ONLY on my platform. No PSP, no GBA, no DS ! (maybe Catan is a move like that ?)
2. Start advertisements from scratch. Assume, that people don't have any idea about nGage and start from the beginning. nGage is not a console + phone, not a phone for gamers, it is your always connected media, entertainment and communication center. A center fit in your pocket.
3. Build a strong community. Pay to gamespot, 1up, /., printable gaming magazines... where you can to write and discuss everything about nGage and related products. Even place "nGage" logo on different than nGage devices (as Sony-Ericsson have "walkman" on some music-phones).

have you atleast played on the n-gage???
no n-gage hit titles!!!!what are you talking about...PATHWAY TO GLORY,the game practically changed the way online mobile gaming was played and it won the award for the "BEST MOBILE GAME",SYSTEM RUSH,by far the fastest game on the mobile platform,ONE..i don't have words to describe it,you have to play it to experience it...WORMS WORLD PARTY,your PC famous title..its just absolute fun,nothing else
Another example of PC-mobile game...HINTERWARS..you have both PC and mobile game

advertising from scratch,sure they have to but don't you watch any news,the n-gage ads won three cannes awards,CANNES man!!!

place the n-gage logo on different phones,that's what they are gonna do now...release phones which can play all the n-gage games and the newer versions although n-gage logo might or might not appear:O

i agree with your initial comments,the first n-gage was flawed in many ways,if nokia had released the QD first then it would have been a different story.gamespot do have a separate n-gage column and they give out opinions and reviews for the new games.1up does have a wireless section that concentrates on the mobile games in general,but you can see RIFTS featuring in the top ten

wshwe
18-10-2005, 12:31 AM
By the 2nd half of 2006 the N-Gage QD will have been 2 years old. The QD is already obsolete. Two years is too long to wait before the next N-Gage capable phone. Two years is an eternity in the mobile industry.

jordan
18-10-2005, 04:40 PM
have you atleast played on the n-gage???
no n-gage hit titles!!!!what are you talking about...PATHWAY TO GLORY,the game practically changed the way online mobile gaming was played and it won the award for the "BEST MOBILE GAME",SYSTEM RUSH,by far the fastest game on the mobile platform,ONE..i don't have words to describe it,you have to play it to experience it...WORMS WORLD PARTY,your PC famous title..its just absolute fun,nothing else
Another example of PC-mobile game...HINTERWARS..you have both PC and mobile game

advertising from scratch,sure they have to but don't you watch any news,the n-gage ads won three cannes awards,CANNES man!!!

place the n-gage logo on different phones,that's what they are gonna do now...release phones which can play all the n-gage games and the newer versions although n-gage logo might or might not appear:O

i agree with your initial comments,the first n-gage was flawed in many ways,if nokia had released the QD first then it would have been a different story.gamespot do have a separate n-gage column and they give out opinions and reviews for the new games.1up does have a wireless section that concentrates on the mobile games in general,but you can see RIFTS featuring in the top ten

Please, read my post again ! For all the 3 points...
I don't think there is need to repeat, but at least for the first one ( oh yes, i have played a LOT of n-gage games ;) ) :

I didn't say there are not super-games for n-Gage. I said, there is no title to SELL the console. Let's take for example, PATHWAY : it is very very good game, but :
1. it is for HARDCORE gamers (think - target : male, age 13-30);
2. it is a standard (true - very well done, with some specific innovations) strategy game, but it's like Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike, etc... you can find similar games for all the existing platforms;
3. it is for HARDCORE gamers;
Please, take a look at the examples i gave. SIMPLE genious games. Run it for the first time and you know how to play.Did you saw my examples ?
Assume, that TETRIS didn't exists till now and you see it for the first time on n-Gage. That's it !

funkyflea
19-10-2005, 02:09 AM
LOL. Ferard.

Just when I thought there wasn't another possible play on his name.

ravis_31
19-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Please, read my post again ! For all the 3 points...
I don't think there is need to repeat, but at least for the first one ( oh yes, i have played a LOT of n-gage games ;) ) :

I didn't say there are not super-games for n-Gage. I said, there is no title to SELL the console. Let's take for example, PATHWAY : it is very very good game, but :
1. it is for HARDCORE gamers (think - target : male, age 13-30);
2. it is a standard (true - very well done, with some specific innovations) strategy game, but it's like Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike, etc... you can find similar games for all the existing platforms;
3. it is for HARDCORE gamers;
Please, take a look at the examples i gave. SIMPLE genious games. Run it for the first time and you know how to play.Did you saw my examples ?
Assume, that TETRIS didn't exists till now and you see it for the first time on n-Gage. That's it !
The only prob was it was not the launch title:(
it PTG had been a launch title,then it would have pushed the sales
PTG is as easy tetris...run it once and you'll get the hand of it(you should know if you have played it)
mile high pinball is another title,pinball towers are already famous..users know what to do.so its gonna be a good game for the n-gage.
SNAKES,what more can i say...mayb simpler even than TETRIS.move around the screen taking up the dots,how simpler could it be..nokia upped the ante with snakes 3D with a rich gameplay,they should have included a copy in every n-gage(as in every other nokia phone)