View Full Version : N70 - Problem with the FM-Radio!! (distortion/interference)

messus
11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
I received the N70 yesterday, it's amazing I must say.

Still, there seem to be a problem with the radio/software
on the phone.

When listening to the radio I can hear an electrical distortion/interference.
This electrical sparkling sound can be heard especially if you turn up the
volume and there are people talking, instead of loud music. The problem
is on- and off, and can last for some seconds, for then to go away for
some seconds.

I have tested two units from different distributors, and the same issue
is present on both units. I have also tested the radio on a Nokia 6230i
on the exact same frequency/program, and there is absolutely no
bad electrical distortion/interference at all. I have tested two different
models of headset on the N70's, the embedded one (HS-3), and another
one (HDS-3), and the same bad result with both. The problem is not
present when routing the radio sound through the loudspeaker on the
phone.

This may be a software problem, since when I press and hold a button,
eg. the Sybmain menu button, the distortion dissapears. When I release
the button again, the distortion reappears.

The unit(s) I have tested have the following firmware:
V 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

If anybody else has different (or same) firmware and are NOT experiencing
this issue please post your results here.

I will adress Nokia directly with this as well, as I think this is not acceptable
for such an expensive, and otherwize excellent Smartphone.

Audio quality when playing digital audio (MP3) is really good, crisp clear
and no problems at all.

Utenteanonimo64
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Maybe the noise is due to the interference with other circuitry receiving the UMTS high frequencies. This would explain why there's no interference when you ground the phone (i.e. you touch a button) and this would also explain why you don't hear the noise in the other phone (it's only GSM).....

UA

messus
12-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Maybe the noise is due to the interference with other circuitry receiving the UMTS high frequencies. This would explain why there's no interference when you ground the phone (i.e. you touch a button) and this would also explain why you don't hear the noise in the other phone (it's only GSM).....

UA

Hi, I tried to set the phone to GSM mode only, and not (dual band mode),
thus disabling 3G, still the distortion is there..

I have also checked that there is no internet/wap/3G connection while I
listen to the radio. The noise is still there..

Now a friend just came visiting with his Nokia 6230i, so I got the chance
to test another 6230i.. No noise/distortion whatsoever on this phone..

Weird.. I have also mailed Nokia, the claim there is no problem with the N70
and the radio.

I have tested two (2) units from different distributors in my town, and
the same issue with the radio distortion definately IS present on both!

Weird Weird Weird!!!!

Anybody??

neatheyc
13-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Do you know how much it costs to use the radio? I know the radio itself is free like any normal FM radio, but for the visual radio stuff, it needs to connected to gprs, which is costly?

Is there an option to just listen to the radio without the visual stuff?

messus
13-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Do you know how much it costs to use the radio? I know the radio itself is free like any normal FM radio, but for the visual radio stuff, it needs to connected to gprs, which is costly?

Is there an option to just listen to the radio without the visual stuff?

The Visual Radio service is not available yet in Norway where I live, so I do not
know what the cost will be for using this service.

And, yes, you can use the radio without the Visual Radio service..

messus
13-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Here I have recorded the sound from my Nokia N70, and my fathers Nokia 6610i.

Same channel, some classical s**t music... Listen to the distortion I am experiencing
on my N70. The recorded sound from the Nokia 6610i has no electrical distortion at all.

The files are in MP3 (zipped).

Please listen and compare to your N70, and give feedback...

I will send these files to Nokia as well, but they refuse that there is something
wrong with the radio on the N70..

As I said, I have tested two (2) different N70's from two (2) different distributors,
same firmware though..

V 2.0536.0.2
12-09-05
RM-84

neatheyc
13-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I received my n70 today from vodafone uk and I cannot get any station on the radio. No radio station is found, its just all static noise.

Adam
13-10-2005, 09:47 PM
uh-oh

this isn't sounding good about the Radio, I wonder if its more widespread. Will see when I get mine from o2

N/A
14-10-2005, 07:59 AM
In some places scanning for radio stations doesn't seem to pick up all stations, but manual tuning usually finds them on my phone (or through the station catalog).

nervous
20-10-2005, 02:23 PM
same problem for me ,same firmware version

messus
21-10-2005, 08:46 AM
same problem for me ,same firmware version

Hmm. too bad for us! - It think Nokia should come up with a fix for this ASAP!!

I have e-mailed Nokia and made them aware of the problem..

They claim though that this is not a general problem on all N70's, since
they tested a couple and could not find the problem..

I will go to a third distributor today, which also is a Nokia Careline Center,
and ask them to test a few units of the N70... They will be able to reach
through to Nokia better than me at least..

I think you also should mail Nokia with this issue!!

messus
21-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Ok, now there is no doubt, I have been to a third retailer today, and we testet
two (2) additional units of the N70. The distortion/interference were present
on all of them on the radio. So there IS something wrong with the radio/firmware
on the Nokia N70.

Let's just hope it's not a hardware issue, because in my opinion this noise
is not acceptable. Lower budget models like 6610i and 6230i has absolutely
no distortion when listening to the radio.

The Nokia Careline approved retailer were going do what they could to address
this issue with Nokia, lets hope there will be a fix soon rather than late!

nervous
21-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Ok, now there is no doubt, I have been to a third retailer today, and we testet
two (2) additional units of the N70. The distortion/interference were present
on all of them on the radio. So there IS something wrong with the radio/firmware
on the Nokia N70.

The problem exists for sure. A couple of friends who own the N70 have the same problem .

I noticed that when camera is on ,there's no distortion/interference problem on radio :o

Morphi
23-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Having the same problem here guys. have emailed Nokia but dont expect a reply. Yet again I have been dooped into buying a shakey Nokia :frown: The camera trick does work, but I have no idea how or why, a small relief for now..

nervous
24-10-2005, 06:03 AM
I really would like to know if anybody else bought the N70, and NOT experiencing this issue :confused:

themafia.69
24-10-2005, 08:44 AM
are your phones made in finland or china?

ugrsrt
24-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I have the same problem here too. Every 10 secs or so I get a short interference sound. Comparable to chinese water torture, v. annoying.
I have V 2.0536.0.2 too.

nervous
24-10-2005, 02:37 PM
are your phones made in finland or china?

My N70 is made in Finland.:)

I got informed by local Nokia that all N70's that have been released ,have the same FM-Radio (distortion/interference) bug.
They said to me that problem will be solved with new software version.

DVogdos
25-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Hello my friends, I am from Greece and I have purchase the incredible Nokia N70. Yesterday I found the problem with the radio that you are experienced. I hope that is a firmware problem and not a hardware problem because then Nokia will have a very big problem... For one more time I hope we will wait a firmware update...:mad: I have run some tests on my own but I don't find a logical explanation for the problem, we will see.... hopefully:icon13:

DVogdos
25-10-2005, 01:52 PM
My N70 is made in Finland too and I have the same firmware: 2.0536.0.2

EinZtein
25-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Does this problem exist when FM radio is played through the loudspeaker, bluetooth or both?

messus
25-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Does this problem exist when FM radio is played through the loudspeaker, bluetooth or both?

As I wrote at the beginning of this thread:

"The problem is not present when routing the radio sound through the loudspeaker on the phone."

EinZtein
25-10-2005, 05:45 PM
As I wrote at the beginning of this thread:

"The problem is not present when routing the radio sound through the loudspeaker on the phone."
Yes, I read that but there were some prototypes out in the summer(US) that had the same problem but it happened when on loudspeaker also. At time I said "I could live with the loudspeaker working but I have to have one of them working or I'm not buying this phone". Well, look what happened just the loudspeaker problem was resolved by Nokia and hopefully I'll be buying Thursday an Unlocked N70 from Pl**ix.com.

Judging by what I've seen I should be getting the same firmware as the posters on this forum.

I hope I don't get an older fw version, that would suck.:mad:

Then, for a fw upgrade, since there is no Nokia Repair Center in Michigan I would have to mail my n70 back to Nokia for 2 weeks and pay postage.:frown:

I've seen some other forums with complaints about BT problems, I hope this is not a sign of bugs in newly implemented BT 2.0.

Hope to have mine by Saturday.

Thanks for all the great info.:)

Morphi
26-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Well according to Nokia UK there is no problem with the N70 and no future software patches are going to be available. They "suggest" either sending fone back or taking to local nokia dealer for a check over. The fact that my local nokia dealer is about 300 miles away obviously hasnt crossed their minds, and if there is "no problem" then they aint gonna fix it anyways. Dont get me wrong This is a brilliant fone, but the radio player is shockingly bad. Expect distortion either every 10 seconds if listening to a stereo station or constant "voice in background" otherwise. If you can persist with listening to the radio without the headfones, or turning the camera on every few minutes then go mad with this fone. If not then your gonna be so disapointed like me, and in possesion of a slow menu browsing £500 paper weight. All about symbian ? if this is what its all about about you can go make yourself a large cup of f*** off, I aint intrested lol :mad:

EinZtein
26-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Well according to Nokia UK there is no problem with the N70 and no future software patches are going to be available. They "suggest" either sending fone back or taking to local nokia dealer for a check over. The fact that my local nokia dealer is about 300 miles away obviously hasnt crossed their minds, and if there is "no problem" then they aint gonna fix it anyways. Dont get me wrong This is a brilliant fone, but the radio player is shockingly bad. Expect distortion either every 10 seconds if listening to a stereo station or constant "voice in background" otherwise. If you can persist with listening to the radio without the headfones, or turning the camera on every few minutes then go mad with this fone. If not then your gonna be so disapointed like me, and in possesion of a slow menu browsing £500 paper weight. All about symbian ? if this is what its all about about you can go make yourself a large cup of f*** off, I aint intrested lol :mad:

Wow, pretty harsh!:o

DVogdos
26-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Guys I have another problem except the radio one. It happened to me twice from the time I bought the N70. When someone trying to call me the polyphonic ringtone is distorted like someone put the slow motion in the player(I have tryied differend ringtones not mine but those that they exists already in the phone). If someone has the exact problem please tell me. Unfortunately problems like that will make our lifes worse because if I give my phone to the guys in Nokia probably they will tell me that they did not found any problem if the problem will not appear to them. So I will have no phone for a week or something for no reason...:mad: I don't believe that... problems, problems, problems...

EinZtein
26-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Guys I have another problem except the radio one. It happened to me twice from the time I bought the N70. When someone trying to call me the polyphonic ringtone is distorted like someone put the slow motion in the player(I have tryied differend ringtones not mine but those that they exists already in the phone). If someone has the exact problem please tell me. Unfortunately problems like that will make our lifes worse because if I give my phone to the guys in Nokia probably they will tell me that they did not found any problem if the problem will not appear to them. So I will have no phone for a week or something for no reason...:mad: I don't believe that... problems, problems, problems...
Man, a lot of bugs in the N70, I'm reconsidering my upgrade from 6600.

I was going to purchase tomorrow but now I am having big time second thoughts.

Can anyone ease my fears about dumping 600us on the N70?

Or should I just wait? Wait for what? E60?

The slow gprs speeds are killing me though.

What to do, what to do?

DVogdos
27-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Today I gave my N70 in a Nokia store to see what's going on with the ringing problem. The guy in there told me that there is a 85 to 90% chance that the fault will be in the firmware and he told me that if there isn't a new firmware for N70 he will re-install the same one and the problem will dissapear (I doubt about that but we will see). I will informed you my friend's. OOO by the way I told them about the radio problem and he answer me that will be corrected with the next version of firmware, so I guess they are aware for that problem.........:frown: The bad thing is that I am without mobile now and I cannot do business. Let's see, I will phone them this afternoon to learn for progress as they told me.....:mad:

messus
27-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Hehe, this sounds a little "wild" ... Of course there will be future firmware
updates for the N70.. As with every other mobile phone, minor baby-bugs that
are disovered after release will be fixed in later software/firmware.

I am not calling this radio issue a minor bug, it is actually a HUGE bug to
me, so I am sure it will be fixed in a future firmware. If it is a hardware
construction fault, well, simply return it to the retailer and get a new one!!
Just make your retailer aware of the issue, and claim your right to get
a new unit if Nokia is not capable of fixing this with software!! I have !!! ;)

Nokia are difficult people, and their support sucks! But they can't oversee
this radio-fault!! Nokia Norway also claimed to me by e-mail that there is
absolutely nothing wrong with the current N70 and current FW! And they told
me to hand in my brand new phone for repair on a Nokia certified repair centre!
Yeah right, hand in a 1-day old mobile phone for repair!?? Thought they were
joking first!! If I had discovered it was only my unit there was something
wrong with I would of course have demanded a brand new one from my
retailer! Hehe, well I think we have proven that it is just not mine, and that
there actually is a problem with the radio on the N70.

I am pretty sure there are Nokia people reading this forum, so just keep
posting!!

znapper
28-10-2005, 11:47 AM
I have the same problem with the radio, watching my clock, it seemes to me that the static "burps" have about 5 second intervals, so it could be related to some service/hardware doing something each 5th second or something.

Just wanted to post to confirm the issue, I bought the phone (I'm based in Norway) and got it two days ago, havent installed or changed anything in the setup yet (still reading the manual). Never used a symbian based phone before, so I don't have the firmware or software versions, sorry (dunno where to find it :) )

As long as Nokia is planning to fix the issue with a firmware upgrade, I have no problem with it (why shouldn't they?), but they better move in it, it's very annoying. :o

Other than that, the phone is simply a sexy piece of art :D

znapper
28-10-2005, 11:48 AM
I have the same problem with the radio, watching my clock, it seemes to me that the static "burps" have about 5 second intervals, so it could be related to some service/hardware doing something each 5th second or something.

Just wanted to post to confirm the issue, I bought the phone (I'm based in Norway) and got it two days ago, havent installed or changed anything in the setup yet (still reading the manual). Never used a symbian based phone before, so I don't have the firmware or software versions, sorry (dunno where to find it :) )

As long as Nokia is planning to fix the issue with a firmware upgrade, I have no problem with it (why shouldn't they?), but they better move in it, it's very annoying. :o

Other than that, the phone is simply a sexy piece of art :D

DVogdos
31-10-2005, 08:20 AM
I took back my Nokia n70 from the nokia store the same day. They didn't correct anything. They said to me that the problem of FM-Radio is a firmware problem once again and about the ringing tone they couldn't find anything. They say that my phone is in perfect condition. Strange because the problem with the ringing distortion happen again. I noticed that the ringing distortion happens when I have low 3G signal and the device change it from 3G to GSM. I have send a strict e-mail in Nokia and told them that if they couldn't find a solution to my problem I will demand a new phone... Let's see if I will have an answer...:mad:

nervous
31-10-2005, 10:07 PM
I just noticed that when my N70 is on charger ,there's no distortion/interference :o :o

DVogdos
01-11-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm 100% sure that the ringing problem is a interference problem because when my N70 rings and the 3G signal is weak automatic the phone will change from 3G to GSM at that time the ring will become slow (like when you hear your music in slow motion) and you will hear snow distortion!!!!!!!!! That thing that I don't know is if my phone only has that problem or is a general problem for all N70 with 2.0536.0.2 (19-09-05) firmware.:frown: When I gave my phone to a Nokia store they told me that my phone has absolutely no problems:o

P.S. when I change the settings of my phone to look only GSM signal and not 3G I have no problem because the device have 1 and only selection (GSM) and not 2 (3G or GSM) so it can't change to anything...;)

Utenteanonimo64
01-11-2005, 10:29 AM
It seems that with 3G low signal and phone ringing or radio playing the phone is trying to suck more power for the battery than it is actually possible?

macwhu
01-11-2005, 11:39 AM
i tried the radio on teh train today
it seemed to work fine - i wasnt doign anything else
it has some interference for part of the journey - but id expect that on a train
overall it was fine

i was listening to bbc london
i couldnt fathom out any of the visual stuff - is that active in the uk
or do i have to go to finland for it?

N/A
01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
In the UK Virgin Radio is listed as having Visual Radio support "soon": http://www.visualradio.com/1,121,,,508,2,2.html

EinZtein
01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Well, I finally got my n70 yesterday morning. Everything went great and I was tethered to the internet within minutes after popping my Tmo SIM in.

Oddly enough, I have been listening to a local radio station here in Michigan on my n70 both at work and home through the supplied headphones and also the loudspeaker and guess what?

Not one bit of interference what so ever. Nothing but clean, crisp sound!:o :D

DVogdos
01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
What did they do to your phone. Did they tell you. Is your firmware the same as before:o

EinZtein
01-11-2005, 10:28 PM
What did they do to your phone. Did they tell you. Is your firmware the same as before:o
Same firmware as everyone else with an n70, but mine is factory un-locked.;)

DVogdos
02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
At my surprise I receive a call from the Central Nokia Office here in Greece and they asked me about the problems I have with the phone. After I told them details they say to me that they are aware for that problems and for other too!!! They will make a meeting as the woman in the phone told me about the problems with the Nokia N70 and they will inform us as soon as possible. I suppose I must wait 1 or 2 months. Let's see what will happen:o :o :o

Zorilaf
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
You are absolutely right. I checked with my new Nokia N 70, and the FM sound is awful. I can hear a terrible noise which disappears only when you press a button, you put your camera on, or when you change it on speakerphone. My other Nokia, a 6230i, has an absolutely different sound, clear and with no distortion.
This is not the first time that the guys from Nokia release a model with so many bugs and it is obvious that they didnít check it at all! They never admit that they are wrong. I had many problems with them with Nokia 7110, Nokia 6230, even with 6230i...:mad:

eblaster101
05-11-2005, 09:28 PM
what version is the phone i think the new one fixes the bug

seahka
06-11-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm having the same problem like you guys... every 5sec interval there will be a 'burp' sound, my location is in Singapore. But this problem only happen in some of the stations:frown: Another interference is when you tune up the volume to almost the max, you can always hear some 'electrical noise' in the background!:icon13:

KOPs
06-11-2005, 04:53 AM
I also having the same problem, the distruption appeared every 4 to 5 sec... damn, almost all channels....... me from Singapore too. Send to nokia service centre and was informed they need to change a board.

Fishlick
06-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Same problem here, I've got- V 2.0537.1.7 18/09/05 RM-84
Also seen glitches in the progress bar which seems to loop.

N70 is my 1st symbian phone, can you update the firmare on your own PC or do you have to goto nokia service centre?

trich
06-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Just to add, I got my n70 this week and I've just given the radio a test on a walk out and I've found it to have none of these problems. I get perfect reception for about 5 radio stations. :cool:

nervous
07-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Same problem here, I've got- V 2.0537.1.7 18/09/05 RM-84
Also seen glitches in the progress bar which seems to loop.

N70 is my 1st symbian phone, can you update the firmare on your own PC or do you have to goto nokia service centre?

you have to go to nokia service centre :frown:

double d
07-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Same firmware as everyone else with an n70, but mine is factory un-locked.;)

hey einstein.....what you mean by factory un- locked? is it an open line unit?

mine is an open line unit not a factory locked unit....got no problem regardin radio inetrference in my N70...

steff2632
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM

mine is an open line unit not a factory locked unit....got no problem regardin radio inetrference in my N70...
by open line do you mean it was never locked in the first place???
does that also mean that all non-operator specific handsets dont have the radio interference??
i hope so

double d
08-11-2005, 04:20 AM
by open line do you mean it was never locked in the first place???
does that also mean that all non-operator specific handsets dont have the radio interference??
i hope so

what i mean is when i bought my N70 in my country,,it was not locked to any telecommunications network company,,,meaning i can use different sim cards from diifferent networks in my N70....

i havent experienced any radio problem in my N70 so far.... i got a 1 year warranty from the store i bought from....

steff2632
08-11-2005, 09:18 PM
yeah thats what i thought. so it looks like only the operator firmwares have problems with the radio!!!
seams like buying phones unsubised has paid off again!!
one day mobile here i come!!

gazza1975
09-11-2005, 10:42 AM
i have a unlocked sim free nokia n70 made in finland with the same firmware and i have the radio interference too. i took mine into the nokia service centre and he tried 1 sim free unit one tmobile unit and a vodafone live unit, guess what interfernce on all three, the engineer was gonna speak with nokia head office yesterday ill let you know how i get on.

gazza1975
09-11-2005, 10:42 AM
i have a unlocked sim free nokia n70 made in finland with the same firmware and i have the radio interference too. i took mine into the nokia service centre and he tried 1 sim free unit one tmobile unit and a vodafone live unit, guess what interfernce on all three, the engineer was gonna speak with nokia head office yesterday ill let you know how i get on.

DVogdos
09-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Guys the locks are triggers that open and close for something particular. It has nothing to do with firmware/hardware failure of a mobile... I gave again my nokia N70 in a Nokia store the day before yesterday and they send it on the central Lab because they didn't find anything in the store. So I'll wait 5 to 6 working days as they told me to have an answer.

P.S. I was having 2 problems: 1. with the radio interference and 2. with the ringing distortion when the phone was changing from 3G to GSM automatically...

I will inform you all when I'll get my phone back from THEM.:icon13:

EinZtein
09-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Mine came right from the manufacturer. Just like it came off the assembly line from Nokia.
And it does have settings for two phone lines if I prefer, however I am only using line 1.

double d
09-11-2005, 05:28 PM
oh i see.... mine too got two phone lines....im using line 1....

EYEREX
11-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Got mine today and guess what i have the problem with mine UK T-Mobile so going to give them a bell.

Prototype_uk
11-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Got mine today and guess what i have the problem with mine UK T-Mobile so going to give them a bell.

I'm also on T-mobile in London and have the Radio & Ring Tone Problem

V 2.0537.1.7
18-09-05
RM-84

Let me know how you get on EYEREX

EYEREX
12-11-2005, 01:30 AM
I'm also on T-mobile in London and have the Radio & Ring Tone Problem

V 2.0537.1.7
18-09-05
RM-84

Let me know how you get on EYEREX

No problem will give them a bell later today, maybe the phone picks up to much signal as i'm over looked by crystal palace :D It's just strange that when you move the lens cover it go's for a bit then comes back also others have said about when you put it on charge it go's this also happens to mine just going to need a long lead for it to still be mobile.

EYEREX
12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Update just phoned t-Mobile and there engineer said the radio on a n70 is rubbish and to sent the phone back and get a full refund as i've only had it a day so off to do a DSR. Thing that gets me is the radio works fine with the loudspeaker just not with headphones.

Prototype_uk
13-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Update just phoned t-Mobile and there engineer said the radio on a n70 is rubbish and to sent the phone back and get a full refund as i've only had it a day so off to do a DSR. Thing that gets me is the radio works fine with the loudspeaker just not with headphones.

I am going to keep mine. This phone is too good to give back just because the Radio doesnt work lol :D After all it is a phone and i'm sure the next firmware flash will fix the bugs.

BTW Has anyone tried a 3rd Party Symbian Radio App to see if the problem is the Radio software rather than the Hardware???

N/A
13-11-2005, 07:57 AM
BTW Has anyone tried a 3rd Party Symbian Radio App to see if the problem is the Radio software rather than the Hardware???There are no 3rd party apps for that.

DVogdos
13-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Thank you guys that you confirmed to me about the problem with the ringtone. I gave my N70 second time in the Nokia shop that I bought it and they couldn't find anything. Then when I took it back I send e-mail to the Central Office of Nokia here in Greece complaining about that particular Nokia Shop. They answer quickly as I received a phone from the manager of that shop complaining about my e-mail because I told them that they lie to me as they did. (to tell you all the story both times that I send my phone to them I took it back with the same problems, but when they gave it to me both times they keep saying that my phone has no problems and that they make an upgrade regardless that an upgrade of N70 here in Greece has never published). So that particular manager was liing too, because when I told him that I will give my phone to the Central office of Nokia here in my town he said to me that they didn't take phones from customers for service. So when I hang up with him I made a phone call to the Central office and they told me that they didn't had any problem if I will take my phone to them in person. Not mention the way that the manager talks to me (If he talks to all the customers like that at the end he will loose his position as a manager and worse he will loose his store). I don't understand how these people with no manners take that kind of jobs:mad: . I guess (as the person that I spoke to him from the Central office of Nokia told me), it is best to wait a little while for an upgrade of the firmware to be published here):icon13: :icon13: :icon13:

samuri
13-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi.

Been reading this with some interest as a i waited for my N70 to come through.

Got it on 3 UK last week and (thankfully) i dont have any of the distortion problems or tone problems mentioned.

My firmware is:

V2.0539.1.2
19-10-05
RM-84

EYEREX
13-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Just had a look to see what my firmware is.

V 2.0537.1.7
18-09-05
RM-84

Jayd
14-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi.

Been reading this with some interest as a i waited for my N70 to come through.

Got it on 3 UK last week and (thankfully) i dont have any of the distortion problems or tone problems mentioned.

My firmware is:

V2.0539.1.2
19-10-05
RM-84

Just to second that, I have also recieved my N70 on 3 with the newer firmware and I also have no distortion on the radio, so it does seem a simple firmware job for those with problems.

samuri
14-11-2005, 09:22 PM
After having some time to have a good play with it ive found one sound problem.

When listening through the supplied headphones/ handsfree kit theres a really annoying 'click' whenever you press the keypad and it makes the keypad tone. Its like a click when it turns the sound on, then it makes a louder click when it turns the sound off. Its like interfernace when the circuit is turned on or off.

It only does this when connected on the headset and not through the on-board speaker.

DVogdos
15-11-2005, 09:56 AM
After I have "fight" from the phone with the Supervisor of the Nokia store that I have bought my Nokia N70 and after I gave my phone to his store for "service" 2 times and I have send several e-mails to Alphacopy (Nokia Importer here in Greece and Central Office) the Chief engineer call me from the Central office of Nokia (Very polite guy not like the Supervisor of the Nokia store that I have bought my phone) in my town yesterday and told me that if I can send my phone there. Of Course this morning I went there and show in person the problems to his technicians so as I was expected they told me that the phone must stay there for further check-ups. Whell it's the third time that I'm with no phone and I hope that it will be the last... :mad: I'm afraid here in Greece you must "pull some strings" to have your job done. I forgot to tell you an other thing: First time in my life (I'm a programmer for 10 years now) I heard that when we have version 2.0 and we "re-install" version 2.0 that means upgrade (I'm afraid for those that doesn't know the meaning of the word upgrade means that if we have for example a software version 2.0 and we "put" version 3.0) and that thing that they told me from Nokia is re-install. (in the end I will forgot the thing that I know)...whatever :o :o :o

frankoid
26-11-2005, 12:26 AM
I got an N70 on T-Mobile UK last week, and it had the problem you've all been describing with the radio. I phoned up the Nokia careline and they told me to send it back to the retailer, which I did. The replacement N70 had exactly the same problem. It had firmware version 2.0537.1.7

I went to a Nokia service center (The Word on Old Street Roundabout, London) to have the firmware upgraded. They said that they didn't have any newer firmware with the T-Mobile UK customisations, but they could try the generic or the T-Mobile Austria firmware (but there was a risk that they'd kill my phone and have to send it away for repair). I got them to try the generic first, but they couldn't load it, so they did the T-Mobile Austria (version 2.0.539.1.2, 19-10-05, RM-84).

Picked it up this afternoon and the radio worked perfectly :) Excellent service from The Word - I expect a lot of other technicians wouldn't have bothered trying the alternative firmwares. The only slight problem I had after the upgrade was that when I restored the phone from the backup on my MMC it said that 2 files had failed to restore, and I lost all my contacts and calendar entries. This wasn't a problem for me because I'd synced them to my Mac, but it could catch people out who haven't synced to a computer.

Morphi
27-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Ahhh good news at last !! I have been trying to get a firmware upgrade for my Vodafone N70, But it just aint available. I have heard the .39 firmware does cure the problem but iv gotta sit back and wait until its vodafone appearance.

Mikademius
06-12-2005, 11:24 PM
I have it too... I also concider this to be a huge bug. reriously hope this is software and not hardware....

Morphi
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I think it is evident that this is a software problem, so dont worry too much. But its the waiting for the software release thats getting to me...everyone but bloody vodafone has got it !!
Anything above version 2.0536.0.2 seems to be good, 2.0539.0.2 definately cures the problem. :)

Burkey
08-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh dear...

After reading all through the thread above I thought I have found the answer - the latest firmware upgrade.

Alas no....

My phone from 'Three' is:

V2.0539.1.2
19-10-05
RM-84

and I still (sniff, sniff) have this problem. So now I'm at a loss. Knowing the titanic struggle it was to get a replacement headset from 'Three' a replacement handset seems at least 8 hours of hold music away:frown:

sanjed
02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone.

1st post, hope it's a good un.

I've got the N70, tmobile, and have the radio problem.

I've found that if you get Oggplay running and playing something. Menu out leaving Oggplay running in the background, switch on the radio and the interference is gone.

Can i get some feedback on this, does it work for anyone else ?

also it could be that running real player, or the inbuilt music player would have the same effect.

messus
04-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Upgrading the firmware on the N70 WILL fix the radio problem!!

Upgrading mine from v2 to V3 fixed it for me.

Today I will get it back with firmware V5 where they have fixed even
more bugs!! :)