View Full Version : It's all about the software the rise and rise of Series 60

slitchfield
28-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Steve Litchfield explains his own platform U-turn and draws some lessons about the importance of add-on software (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=199) to the smartphone power user.

Mobilix
28-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Steve!

I agree with you in terms of software and UMTS,
but i'm happy with my 9300 (oddly enough called smartphone not commnicator)...

And the double screen size with 2 MP cam on the N90 will give the S60 platform another push!

Ciao
Mobilix

Bobagent
28-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Steve Litchfield explains his own platform U-turn and draws some lessons about the importance of add-on software (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=199) to the smartphone power user.

Excellent Piece.
I'm not sure why, but many commentators seem to give Series 60 a bit of a bad press...especially @ The Register. I think its because they want some kind of computer and only focus on some of the earlier S60 limitations. S60 is mass market, hence all the apps. I think Palm's big mistake is its american mentality and focus on the 'enterprise.' I think its over optimism that 'the enterprise' is some kind of gravy train. yes the consumers are willing to pay more but there aren't anywhere near the numbers and the devices are always awkward and clunky!! Nokia seems much more in tune with real people.
I think it will get better when developers start taking advantage of S60 landscape mode, it would be excellent for fully featured word processing etc.
I would also really like to see some kind of thumbboard S60 device, maybe with a flip over form factor keyboard like nokias 6800+.

zainman
28-09-2005, 10:24 AM
i couldn't have said it better.. it just keeps getting better steve! you prove the point to all other platform users why symbian is the market-leader!

Masamune
29-09-2005, 11:13 PM
This actually triggered off an odd chain of thought for me. I believe the PSP (bear with me) originated from the Sony Clie range of handhelds. Not in an OS sense, but in hardware design - this indicates that it's capable of running other OSes. A hacker group has claimed to have installed a full version of Windows on a PSP which begs the question - if the PSP was running Series 60, how successful do you think it would be?