View Full Version : Symbian highlight in PDA Essentials

slitchfield
21-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Issue 42 of mainstream magazine PDA Essentials, out today, has a 7-page Symbian review roundup pitting the Sony Ericsson P910i, the Nokia 6680, the Nokia 9500 and the Nokia 7710 against each other. No prizes for guessing the author, by the way!

Masamune
21-09-2005, 12:04 PM
*cough*Shameless plug*cough*.

I'm guessing that although I haven't got my copy yet, the winner is revealed on:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm

slitchfield
21-09-2005, 12:36 PM
*cough*Shameless plug*cough*.

I'm guessing that although I haven't got my copy yet, the winner is revealed on:

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm

Actually, no. The review roundup was written from a generic viewpoint, rather than by thinking about my own personal needs (e.g. most people wouldn't need to program in OPL on a qwerty keyboard 8-) )

I was sooo pleased to wangle this much space in a mainstream magazine to promote the strengths of each Symbian platform, I'd probably have done the piece for free if I'd been asked!

Steve Litchfield

Rafe
21-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Congratulations are in order I think. Most people probably don't realise how much effort must have got into convincing editors to do a Symbian section. I think I may just go buy a copy (I don't usually bother with PDA essentials - sorry Steve :) ).

Rafe

stuclark
21-09-2005, 12:49 PM
*cough*Shameless plug*cough*
You can talk ;)

Ewan
21-09-2005, 12:58 PM
And at l;east Steve (and the rest of us) do make it clear we are shamelessly plugging so you can judge for yourself the strength of link.

slitchfield
21-09-2005, 01:13 PM
And at l;east Steve (and the rest of us) do make it clear we are shamelessly plugging so you can judge for yourself the strength of link.

Although in this case, there's no hyperlink because PDA Essentials doesn't even have a proper web site. Indefensible, really, for a computer magazine.

Still, if you only ever buy one issue of PDAE, no. 42 is a good start. I've rolled in lots of Symbian goodies into general features in the past, but I think this issue sets a new record in terms of Symbian-specific pages (15, if I've counted right!)

Steve Litchfield

Masamune
21-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey, I'm not having a go - I know Steve does a lot of work on here and for the magazines. I'd rather read about Symbian than Windows Mobile anyday :)

BB333
21-09-2005, 08:31 PM
And what about HTC Universal and its clones T-Mobile MDA Pro / O2 XDA Exec / I-mate JASJAR / Qtek etc. ?

Is that device on the list?

If not, I suspect the comparison needs to be updated... And the result? Who knows, I'd like 9500 to win, but I'm not sure...

slitchfield
21-09-2005, 08:48 PM
And what about HTC Universal and its clones T-Mobile MDA Pro / O2 XDA Exec / I-mate JASJAR / Qtek etc. ?

Is that device on the list?

If not, I suspect the comparison needs to be updated... And the result? Who knows, I'd like 9500 to win, but I'm not sure...

Do you mean in my Grid? Yes, I must get hold of one of these and give it a test. Although the score won't be *drastically* different to the XDA II, for obvious reasons.

Steve

BB333
21-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks Steve in advance, I am very curious.

However, as you probably know, the HTC Universal (XDA Exec) is not in the same league with the XDA IIs/i
You might have one in the UK earlier from Orange (SPV M5000)
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/orange_spv_m5000/

stuclark
22-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks Steve in advance, I am very curious.

However, as you probably know, the HTC Universal (XDA Exec) is not in the same league with the XDA IIs/i
You might have one in the UK earlier from Orange (SPV M5000)
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/orange_spv_m5000/
I've played with the Universal - for a Windows device it's actually quite nice! And not nearly as big as it looks!

Masamune
22-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I still occaisionally recall my old iPAQ 3870 and wonder if I would have still stuck with the Windows platform had it not almost caught fire in my pocket....

stuclark
22-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I still occaisionally recall my old iPAQ 3870 and wonder if I would have still stuck with the Windows platform had it not almost caught fire in my pocket....
Shame on us!

Having the Sendo name in our avatars, and openly *not* flaming Microsoft! :o

J2theIZZO
22-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Steve,

I have a I-Mate JasJar you can play with at the Pub meet if your coming. :)

slitchfield
22-09-2005, 07:41 PM
Steve,

I have a I-Mate JasJar you can play with at the Pub meet if your coming. :)

Good idea, actually, anyone with other gadgets is welcome to bring them to the pub meet and we'll critique them together and place them in THE GRID 8-)

Steve

J2theIZZO
22-09-2005, 09:15 PM
No problem, get Rafe or Ewan to point me out, unless there's a murial, in which case i'll probably in the vacinity of that. :rolleyes:

Ewan
22-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Can I bring a Psion Netbook Pro running Debian and EIKON?

<runs quickly>

stuclark
23-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Can I bring a Psion Netbook Pro running Debian and EIKON?

<runs quickly>
<sarcastic whine>If you must

Masamune
26-09-2005, 09:42 AM
I would bring my 20" iMac G5 to add to the Grid but as I nearly dislocated my shoulders taking it from the store to the car park, I'll probably give it a miss.

Oh and Ewan, did you get those docs I sent you?