View Full Version : Symbian Viruses - the truth - part 2

slitchfield
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
It's now been a year or so since Symbian OS malware became a reality. Since then, it's largely been a non-issue for many people, despite various scare stories in the media. If you've been infected by a Series 60 'trojan', we'd love to hear from you. How you became infected, what symptoms you saw and what you did to get rid of the 'nasty'. Please email 'steve@allaboutsymbian.com' with your stories and we'll collate and report back in full.

fkoehn
12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.gadgetguy.de/index.php/2005/05#My_phone_caught_a_worm__in_the_wild_

J2theIZZO
13-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I know 2 "non techie" people who got infected with a virus of somekind with Nokia 7610's.

Forget the name of the virus, but it shows that there is a threat present...I live in a small town and it's even present there, this is mainly due to a vast amount of people leaving bluetooth on, then accepting things not knowing what they are really doing.

I agree to some extent that some of the media are having an over active imagination, and this is probabaly due to anti virus software companies scare tatics to sell more copies of it's software.

Rare although it is at the moment, in my personal expirence people do get infected so there is some truth in the stories.

slitchfield
14-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Interesting that there's not been a single person emailing in a virus infection story despite many tens of thousands of people reading the news story...

Also, I spotted this today on http://www.mpulze.com/antivirus.php?part=1

"Various mobile devices form the mode of modern life: smartphones, PDA, built-in microcontrollers, household microcomputers, medical implants etc. They are everywhere, they carry out microclimate control, they direct the heartbeat, they manage a device you speak over. The environment is filled with waves carrying information. A virus appearing in such an environment may cause a lot of damage. It may take control over mobile devices and make them serve its author, it may connect the devices into malicious network and give its author power over you and your world.

Donít wait until the damage occurs, protect yourself now. The best way of cure is to prevent a disease. Now you can prevent the threat to a considerable amount, securing your life and peace of mind."

Wow. Now that's really what you call scaring your customers into buying. I'd better go buy a copy myself now before my medical implants catch one of the many viruses plaguing my smartphones...

Steve

Arjen
14-07-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm ashamed of my fellow countrymen (mpuzle is a Dutch firm). This is really scaring people into buying something they don't need.

I don't want to dismiss the entire threat of virusses (some people really may get infected if they brainlessly press the "Yes" button in every dialog that's shown to them), but this is overstating it by more than just a little. Educating people about the way to avoid virus infections is imho a far better approach than installing a virus scanner/remover.