View Full Version : Linux powered Internet Tablet - Nokia 770

Rafe
25-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Nokia today announced the Nokia 770 (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770) - a Linux powerd Internet Tablet device. The device which does not include a phone or an PIM software runs on a platfrom called maemo and is based on Debian 2.8 and the user interface is derived from the GNOME UI. The device has a 4.1 inch 800 x 480 touch screen with connectivity supplied via 80211.b/g and Bluetooth 1.2. Clearly this device would be ideal for mobile use when coupled with a Symbian Bluetooth enabled phone. Expected availability is Q3 and the cost will be around $350.

There is 64 MB of user memory available and a RS-MMC card slot. reloaded software includes the Opera Internet browser, email client, RSS client, Flash and Media Player, Internet radio player and more. The device seems to be aimed at being used an extra Internet terminal in the home.

It is interesting that Nokia have chosen not to use the Symbian OS for this device family, and it would be fair to say that such Internet appliances have not had startling success in the past.

On the other hand using the Symbian OS for such a device (without any telephony) could be seen as jamming the wrong OS into the device. Symbian was after all primairly designed as smartphone OS. Linux has it's advantages as Nokia noted during the press conference. Clearly Nokia are hoping to leverage Linux and Open Source developers in creating software for the platform. They are also creating an open platform. More information on this can be found at maemo.org (http://maemo.org).

Device Specifications:
Full Specifications
Size

* Weight: 230 g
* Dimensions: 141 x 79 x 19 mm

Color

* Black and matte silver

Display

* High-resolution (800x480) touch screen with up to 65,536 colors

Operating temperature

* -10C to +55 C

Memory

* Engine: DDR RAM 64MB
* Memory: Flash 128MB (>64MB for user)
* Memory card: 64MB RS-MMC (Reduced Size - MultiMediaCard)

Operating system

* Internet Tablet 2005 software edition

Applications (in 2005 software edition)

* Web Browser
* Flash Player version 6
* Email Client
* Internet Radio
* News Reader
* Media players, Image viewer
* PDF viewer
* File Manager
* Search
* Calculator
* World Clock
* Notes
* Sketch
* Games

Supported File Formats

* Audio: MP3, Real Audio, MPEG4, AAC, WAV, AMR, MP2
* Image: JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PNG, Animated GIF format,
SVG-tiny, ICO
* Video: MPEG1, MPEG4, Real Video, H.263, AVI, 3GP

Connectivity

* WLAN: 802.11b/g
* Bluetooth specification: 1.2

* For Internet connection and file transfer via phone
* Profiles supported: Dial-up Networking, File Transfer, Generic Access, SIM Access and Serial Port profiles

* USB device mode for PC connectivity
* RS-MMC
* 3.5 mm stereo audio out
* Power connector (2mm)

Language Support

* User Interface: British English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, American English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
* User's Guide: Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Canadian French, Brazilian Portuguese, Mexican Spanish

Sales Package Content

* Nokia 770 Internet Tablet
* 2 stylus pens
* Pouch
* Battery (BP-5L)
* Travel charger (AC-4)
* 64 MB RS-MMC memory card
* Connectivity cable DKE-2 (USB)
* Desk stand DT-7
* User guide
* Quick start guide

Enhancements

* Mobile charger (DC-4)
* Charger adapter (CA-44)
* RS-MMCs

Joel_78
25-05-2005, 04:50 PM
J2ME Personal Profile?

Rafe
25-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Doesn't appear to support it. Though I imagine it coudl be added/

bluestar
25-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Why not add full J2SE in this case ??? :-)

is it possible only by adding it through the rsMMC card or not ?

SwitchBlade
26-05-2005, 11:20 AM
It is interesting that Nokia have chosen not to use the Symbian OS for this device family, and it would be fair to say that such Internet appliances have not had startling success in the past.

I think that would be an understatement seeing as putting eggs in this basket aided the demise of Be Inc. That said fair play Nokia, I was interested back when Be tried it and am still interested now for the right price.

martinharnevie
27-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Symbian was after all primairly designed as smartphone OS.

Rafe, this is not entirely accurate. It's rather an after-construction.

A more accurate statement would be: "Symbian OS is primarily positioned as a smartphone OS".

Rafe
27-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Martin - yeah fair point, although in all honesty I think it would be fair to say now that Symbian OS is added to with smartphones in mind. Although obviously it is basd on the old EPOC stuff at a very low level the telephony functions are now far more integrated than they are on under platforms. In that sense it was desinged from release 6 onwards to be used in phones. Other OS's by comparison have a much greater legacy from previous selves or big brothers.

martinharnevie
27-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Agree of course, though I would actually say that it was designed from release 1 with phones in mind.

Symbian's growing success as a gaming platform apart from its history as a successful mobile professional device platform are proof that it's a smartphone OS by positioning rather than design. In other words, the design of Symbian OS allows for quite a lot more capabilities than just smartphone.

So how will it be positioned tomorrow? A universal media platform? A mobile 'edutainment' (sorry for using a worn-out term) platform? A telematics platform (in fact that's what Potter wanted)?.

Masamune
27-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Personally, I'm very surprised Nokia decided to adopt a Linux based OS. I thought the whole point of Series 90 was to have full PDA functionality (i.e. UIQ without any Non-Nokia ties). After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.

martinharnevie
27-05-2005, 11:36 AM
After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.

There does not seem to be any sort of indication that Symbian will ever attempt to recapture that market, which, by the way, isn't much of a market anymore...unless you wish to go into the industrial mobile computing segment and compete head on with WinCE.net supported by the likes of Intermec, Symbol, LXE and Psion with much lower volumes but much higher margins. Symbian's current business & licencing model is not even remotely geared for that, even though the technology is.

SwitchBlade
27-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Personally, I'm very surprised Nokia decided to adopt a Linux based OS. I thought the whole point of Series 90 was to have full PDA functionality (i.e. UIQ without any Non-Nokia ties). After all, it seems an ideal platform to start making in-roads into the PDA market with.

I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones. Shame really.

ms139us
27-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones. Shame really.

I don't think that I could disagree more.

For over a year I have used a 9290 solely as a PDA. In fact, I picked it up cheap because the phone won't recognize SIM cards.

It is a dandy replacement for my old netBook, and far more durable and portable.

Migrating old ER5 data is a monstrous pain, tho.

martinharnevie
27-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Migrating old ER5 data is a monstrous pain, tho.

It will be slightly easier once I've released SymPoc. Currently only Word though.

martinharnevie
27-05-2005, 06:06 PM
I think Symbian's aim is for smartphones only rather than PDAs, otherwise I'd have expected to see a fully fledged PDA based on S80/90 before now. At the end of the day it's up to Symbian to say how they want their software used, and they want it in smartphones.

In my previous correspondence with Psion Teklogix in conjunction with the netBook Pro Symbian petition I have an email from them confirming that if I could raise the moneys to purchase 25,000 units of netBook Pro, they would undertake to develop a Symbian version. We did not discuss at the time more details about the UI etc, but I think we both assumed that this would be something based either on a landscape version of UIQ (which we somewhat jokingly called UIn) or something "Eikon"-like based on TechView. Now this was of course before Psion's "cash-out", so this committment might not be valid anymore. Incidentally, this was exactly the breakeven point we had calculated ourselves.

All history now of course. Dream on Martin....:-)

SwitchBlade
27-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I don't think that I could disagree more.

For over a year I have used a 9290 solely as a PDA. In fact, I picked it up cheap because the phone won't recognize SIM cards.

Aye but it's not sold as a PDA. It may be a fully functional PDA but it's sold as a phone. And as pointed out there's no Symbian powered devices without a phone, nor rumours of one. Maybe it's Symbian looking foward and thinking other PDA manufacturers will give in and follow the convergence route, maybe its that no-one can be bothered to make a sole PDA running Symbian. But given the sucess of the Psion series PDAs I'd be surprised if it's the latter.

Masamune
28-05-2005, 07:15 PM
It just seems really odd though. I looked at the 7710 and there's no way it could even be considered as a phone - its colossal. I'm not saying its a bad device but it is certainly lacking a typical phone form factor. It will be interesting to see what future Series 90 devices look like. I've got a fiver on a Communicator style device with Series 90 OS and touchscreen within the next two to three years...

N/A
28-05-2005, 08:42 PM
You've already lost your bet, Masamune (simply because there is no further Series 90 development, or Series 90 devices, but support for pen-input, larger displays, etc., will be part of future versions of Series 60, instead).

Masamune
29-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow - what was the point of that then? If this is going to be incorporated into future Series 60 phones won't this dramatically alter the way developers need to think about applications, cause further compatability issues and affect the form factor of devices (i.e. newer devices becoming bulkier, heavier, etc)?

N/A
29-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally, they were supposed to be (and were) separate, but then (it was stated in last November's Nokia Mobility Conference) I guess Nokia figured out that having only one Symbian platform would in the long-term be more useful (Series 80 won't see much more further development, I suppose, so all development effort is put into Series 60).

martinharnevie
29-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally, they were supposed to be (and were) separate, but then (it was stated in last November's Nokia Mobility Conference) I guess Nokia figured out that having only one Symbian platform would in the long-term be more useful (Series 80 won't see much more further development, I suppose, so all development effort is put into Series 60).

Ironically, Series 90 is more capable than Series 60, so it would be more logical to put Series 60 GUI elements onto Series 90 and then name the result 'Series 60'.

N/A
29-05-2005, 11:32 PM
It might seem to be so, but Series 60 is more mature and already has, e.g., support for newer versions of the Symbian OS, and is also much more widely deployed (actually, it is by far the most widely used Symbian OS based device platform of any) so that it makes more sense to concentrate further development on top of it, rather than anything else.

martinharnevie
30-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Perhaps, perhaps not. They'll do what they find best.

As long as the result allows publishing of OPL apps in the traditional manner (APP...ENDA + UIDs), I'm happy...

SwitchBlade
30-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I'd assume the end result would leave you with an OS along the lines of UIQ, with keyboard support and the ability to work over various screen sizes. It then becomes a case of just dictating which screen size to use and control methods for each device. I'd quite like to see the next communicator with a larger screen and touchscreen (losing the CBA) but also the option of a mouse pointer controlled by the pad for when you can't be bothered to get the stylus out.

Masamune
30-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I still think this isn't a good move in the long run. Amalgamating the OSes is good but it will leave the Series 60 OS more fractured than ever..

martinharnevie
31-05-2005, 12:49 AM
I still think this isn't a good move in the long run. Amalgamating the OSes is good but it will leave the Series 60 OS more fractured than ever..

Why do you say Series 60 is fractured?

Masamune
31-05-2005, 08:21 AM
OK - Version 6.1 which is compatible with older apps, but newer programs are not backwards compatible or do not support older devices. A program which works on one Nokia Series 60 phone will not work on another. And when Series 60 version 9 comes out, no existing programs will work on it.

martinharnevie
31-05-2005, 09:25 AM
OK - Version 6.1 which is compatible with older apps, but newer programs are not backwards compatible or do not support older devices. A program which works on one Nokia Series 60 phone will not work on another. And when Series 60 version 9 comes out, no existing programs will work on it.

Well that's hardly the fault of Series 60 but rather the natural and necessary evolution of the underlying OS, though I understand the frustration of Sendo, 3650 and N-gage owners...as well as us developers...I hope by staying faithful to OPL I will be somewhat protected from all this...

But I wouldn't go as far as saying Series 60 is fractured because of it, not in the same way as, say, Windows CE is fractured or Linux is fractured. UIQ will be equally affected in the shift to v9, which is further evidence that it's not a Series 60 problem.

SwitchBlade
31-05-2005, 12:58 PM
The bringing together I think is to help reduce the fractured nature of Symbian. In the early days the idea of the various designs was good, but looking back a single adaptable ui would probably have been a better idea. It should aid in that apps would be "portable" to other form factors easier, mostly without a rewrite and just detectors in the code to recognise the screen formfactor and input methods available.

Masamune
31-05-2005, 01:14 PM
If Series 60, Series 80 and UIQ could all merge together, it would make the OS so much more appealing for developers provided the device manufacturers themselves were all working from the same text book. In essence one app would be compatible with the whole range of devices, or would this be asking too much?

Edited to add - sorry for throwing this way off topic - Is there a release date for the 770 and would it run all Pocket Linux apps or Nokia ones only?

N/A
05-06-2005, 05:59 PM
770 availability "Planned in the third quarter of 2005" says: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,74866,00.html

Anyone can develop apps for it: http://www.maemo.org/