View Full Version : Unlimited Wi-Fi Calls? Skype CEO Promises Symbian Version

Ewan
20-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Voice Over IP (or how to get round long distance phone charges using your broadband connection) means one name nowadays, and that is Skype. While Pocket PC handsets have had a Skype client for some time, other platforms have been left waiting. Skype's CEO Niklas Zennstrom yesterday announced that versions for Embedded Linux Devices, Symbian and Windows Mobile are planned for later this year (reports MobileMag (http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/103/C3948/)). Of course politically for a carrier to put Skype directly on Wi-Fi handset means they'd better be ready to loose a lot of call revenue as users switch to Hot Spots...

martinharnevie
22-04-2005, 03:25 AM
This is something that has been asked for at the Skype's own forum ever since the 9500 was released. Finally a positive statement!

SwitchBlade
22-04-2005, 08:36 AM
I doubt that carriers would lose a lot of money, unless free hotspots become far more prevalant. You are hardly gonna stop walking down the street as soon as you wander into someone's unsecure WiFi network just to call someone on Skype rather than call them normally while you walk. Until theres a far larger penetration of WiFi and Skype I don't see the carriers getting scared.

Mr Gar
23-04-2005, 01:18 PM
I doubt that carriers would lose a lot of money, unless free hotspots become far more prevalant. You are hardly gonna stop walking down the street as soon as you wander into someone's unsecure WiFi network just to call someone on Skype rather than call them normally while you walk. Until theres a far larger penetration of WiFi and Skype I don't see the carriers getting scared.

Just wait until WiMax takes off :)