View Full Version : Nokia 9500 runaway winner in grid comparison

slitchfield
16-04-2005, 08:01 PM
So I admit it, I'm a fan of Symbian OS. But how would I objectively score every facet of the main Symbian OS contenders against other PDA/connected solutions, past and present? Find out over at 3-Lib (http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm).

Mufty
17-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Do series 60 phones not get a look in? Or would that kind of a question be greeted with with a snigger and look pity from those who are more in the know?
Is series 60 just way behind still?

Edit: Oops! Just realised you've a sendo x in the grid. My bad. How about 6630/80/81?

slitchfield
17-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Edit: Oops! Just realised you've a sendo x in the grid. My bad. How about 6630/80/81?

Most of the S60 units would get a similar (or lower) score than the X, which has quite a few extras like Opera in ROM, proper stereo music, infrared, etc etc.

Steve

SwitchBlade
17-04-2005, 03:29 PM
I think the idea of the piece is looking for a replacement for what was really THE PDA. As such S60 devices are a long way back as they only add limited function to a telephone.

Ewan
17-04-2005, 04:07 PM
There's two ways to look at Series 60 - one way is that it is slowly introducing PDa features to 'the masses' who are coming from a simple phone or a Series 40 phone. Or S60 is a replacement for other PDA machines, like the ex-Psions and Palms of the world. I'd say that the former is more likely the target of Nokia than the latter.

Raven
17-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I honestly don't see the point of that comparison table. All I see is a bunch of numbers. Many of which don't make sense to me. Perhaps a short explanation behind each ranking would help?

slitchfield
17-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I honestly don't see the point of that comparison table. All I see is a bunch of numbers. Many of which don't make sense to me. Perhaps a short explanation behind each ranking would help?

Err.. the numbers are explained at the top. From 1=terrible to 10=excellent. Seems simple enough to me, even if the scores themselves are my own (humble) opinion. I've used most of the systems shown for extended periods of time, too, so hopefully the marks are pretty fair.

Steve

Raven
17-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Err.. the numbers are explained at the top. From 1=terrible to 10=excellent. Seems simple enough to me, even if the scores themselves are my own (humble) opinion.

I understand the scale from 1 - 10. What I'd like to see is a short explanation behind each of "your own (humble) opinion" scores. ;)

Mufty
17-04-2005, 09:53 PM
It's actually a fine grid. Something I've been looking for for a while. As I am in a situation where I am about to purchase either a converged device or a phone and a PDA a quick comparison chart like this is very useful and makes a lot of sense.
Truth is I want to want the 9500 but the size is just putting me off.
A telephone is something I need 24x7 and a pda is something I would like 24x7 but can be left behind for a short time if I was going for a walk or whatever. For this reason I would have scored Size/weight a bit lower on 9500.

Also you score Imaging/photography as 8 on 9500, can you explain?

And Slitchfield, tell the truth, do you ever slip the sim out of your 9500 and carry a small phone for convenience?

martinharnevie
18-04-2005, 12:14 AM
It's a very good comparison grid.

However, I'm somewhat puzzled how the Psion Series 5mx can score lower than the 9500 in the word processing department, and only one notch higher than the P900.

As far as I'm concerned, the 5mx is the best word processing handheld in the history of mobile computing with a strong and user friendly application and keyboard suitable for fast typing.

The 9500 has the same word processing application as the 5mx, but with an inferior keyboard.

slitchfield
18-04-2005, 05:18 AM
It's actually a fine grid.

Also you score Imaging/photography as 8 on 9500, can you explain?

And Slitchfield, tell the truth, do you ever slip the sim out of your 9500 and carry a small phone for convenience?

Imaging is pretty good on the 9500, as the software uses a much lower JPG compression ratio. End result is images with more detail and information, up to 150K each. Good enough for printing out, for casual snaps at least.

And no, the SIM stays in my 9500 24/7. It's not THAT big and sits nicely in my belt case.

Steve

slitchfield
18-04-2005, 05:20 AM
It's a very good comparison grid.

However, I'm somewhat puzzled how the Psion Series 5mx can score lower than the 9500 in the word processing department, and only one notch higher than the P900.

The 9500 has the same word processing application as the 5mx, but with an inferior keyboard.

No, Word (Documents) on the Communicator can open/save native Office .DOC files, pretty important these days. Psion Word is limited to plain text and native EPOC, making it rather reliant on PsiWin and a PC.

Steve Litchfield

martinharnevie
18-04-2005, 05:39 AM
No, Word (Documents) on the Communicator can open/save native Office .DOC files, pretty important these days. Psion Word is limited to plain text and native EPOC, making it rather reliant on PsiWin and a PC.

While I somewhat agree on this in principle - 'somewhat' because there are ER5 Word97/RTF converters as well as Neuon nConvert - I think you have covered this point under 'Standalone Compatibility' where the 5mx deservedly gets a 5. But it's double counting.

With the 5mx and a Canon BJC-80 or i80 IrDA printer in your briefcase, it is perfectly feasible and practical to produce a 25 page or so contract or business plan while on the road and print it out. I wouldn't try that with the 9500 without a BT keyboard.

slitchfield
18-04-2005, 08:02 AM
While I somewhat agree on this in principle - 'somewhat' because there are ER5 Word97/RTF converters as well as Neuon nConvert ...

...perfectly feasible and practical to produce a 25 page or so contract or business plan while on the road and print it out. I wouldn't try that with the 9500 without a BT keyboard.

Have you tried contacting Neuon lately?? All their apps are firmly out of the picture, I've had so many complaints from customers....

I wrote a 2000 word piece on the 9500 recently. The keyboard's not as good as the 5mx's, obviously, but it's still very useable, and you do get used to it. And the form factor's quite a bit smaller, so it's easy to forgive. Most people round here have forgotten what a huge beast the Series 5 range is/was.

SwitchBlade
18-04-2005, 08:57 AM
I write a lot on my communicator. Not done so much on the 9500 but I've written a 25,000 word novella between a 9210 and a 9500 and a few 5,000-10,000 word short stories on the 9500 so far. I find the keyboards on both perfectly usable (though part of me prefers the 9210) and the word application more than pleasant. I can reach a modest typing speed which though not as fast as a full size keyboard does keep up with the pace that I'm thinking more often than not.

martinharnevie
18-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Have you tried contacting Neuon lately??

Nope, waste of time! Still using their nConvert and HexEdit app though. And my namesake G has put up 2ConnectU on his pscience site, so that's another conversion alternative.

Most people round here have forgotten what a huge beast the Series 5 range is/was.

I don't actually consider the 5mx a huge beast. An iPaq is huge, because it does essentially the same thing as a P900. The 5mx is not for the pocket, and has never been. It's the perfect device to bring when you wish to travel light and still have the perfect typing tool. Sure, it has its limitations, but it also has some, still unbeatable, advantages. It's probably *because of* its size that it still beats the 9500 in some aspects, if you see what I mean.

In comparison, there is not one single little argument left (except for money of course) to keep on using a Revo for instance. The Revo is entirely and wholly eclipsed by the 9500 and then some, but there are still use cases where the 5mx still shines.

I type as fast on the 5mx as I do on a standard PC keyboard, and the screen is large enough to provide good overview. It's size and clever position of its support pads makes it a rock solid typing platform. I find the ability to move the cursor around with your finger on the touchscreen superior to the arrow-pad. Clove told me that they sell around 100 units of 5mx Pros per month, mainly to journalists, so I guess that's the category.

I'm probably going to end up owning a 9500 later this year anyway, so we'll see if I see the light...or if I will - which is more likely - always have a 5mx with me just in case mi'auld fingers are itching or the mind is storming.

J2theIZZO
20-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I know it's based on your personal opinon of devices but for me having used the vast majority of those devices some of the scores do not make sense at all.

I agree the overall winner would be the 9500 (for me personally), but for things like Robustness you gave the P910 an 8 and the 9500/9300 a 7, from my own experiences with both of these devices I know over the long term the 9500 will last at least 2 times longer than a P910 (Which seems to evaporate inside 2 months).

Plus there are other things which I won't go into here.

Nice idea though.

slitchfield
20-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree the overall winner would be the 9500 (for me personally), but for things like Robustness you gave the P910 an 8 and the 9500/9300 a 7, from my own experiences with both of these devices I know over the long term the 9500 will last at least 2 times longer than a P910 (Which seems to evaporate inside 2 months).

The robustness rating was more based on the fact that the 9500 has many times more moving parts and thus is perhaps more likely to go wrong (especially the ribbon cable). Though my 9210i is still going strong after three years, so....

8-)

Steve

Edo
20-04-2005, 07:55 PM

Edo
20-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry for the previous empty posting :(
Partially off-topic question:
Since I cannot make my mind between 9300 and 9500, is there any (more) definitive suggestion from those having had both in hand?
Let say Wifi&camera doesn't matter too much for me. I do care about screen size/clarity and keyboard. And overall device size, of course!

Thanks,
Edo

N/A
21-04-2005, 04:58 AM
9300 screen clarity is good, even if smaller than on the 9500 (same resolution, smaller pixels). 9300 overall device size better than 9500 (= 9300 is smaller). The keyboard is smaller, but OK at least for me (don't know about you).

slitchfield
21-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Let say Wifi&camera doesn't matter too much for me. I do care about screen size/clarity and keyboard. And overall device size, of course!

It's surprising how useful Wi-Fi and camera are, don't dismiss them. With Wi-Fi you can get high-speed web access more or less all over the country for free (because most broadband users leave their networks open). And see my article from two days ago for my thoughts on smartphone cameras 8-)

Steve

Edo
21-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Steve,

Thanks for taking advocatus diaboli side in my dilemma ;-)
Maybe I should take both - 9500 as PDA&camera and 9300 as a (smart)phone :-)

Edo
www.mypsion.ru/viewplus.php