View Full Version : P800 at the SMAU Exhibition: first impressions.

one_neo
25-10-2002, 08:05 AM
I've been shown the P800 at the SMAU Exhibition in Milan by a SonyEricsson tech guy.

These are the first feelings. It is a beauty. Small (like a packet of cigarettes), light blue the only colour available at the beginning. Easy to handle: with the little pen or with the jog, but anyway with both hands.

Will be out in Italy around mid-december: expected price around 800 euros. Will come with a 16mb memory stick. Max memory stick upgrade: 128mb. Software is very easy and intuitive to use, and it's very quick to move from one application to another: unlike the Nokia 9210, which comes honestly from a completely different generation of products.
Pictures from the camera are decent - 7650 alike. The battery life, according to the SE man, is going to be a whole day with a very very hard use or up to three days with an average use. My feeling is that the phone is very energy-hungry.

Distribution delays (according to the SonyEricsson guy) have been attributed to the testing of the memory sticks rather than to the software hiccups. The chap anyway said that the operating system is not "perfect" yet, but it will hopefully be in December. My opinion is that the Nokia 9210 needed a good six months and many operating system updates before becoming decently stable: I'd prefer now to wait a month more for the P800 rather to, say, have a Ferrari that can only go to 70mph.

Anyway, it is such a smash that I'll start saving money right now. It will be the new benchmark for at least two or three years.

:D :D :D

anthonyjcrocks
25-10-2002, 09:16 AM
so that would mean the thing would come out worldwide right...not only there?....Man but yeah that sounds good to me though....WE ALL CAN"T WAIT TO GET IT!!!!!

verko
25-10-2002, 04:04 PM
i've been looking forward to our media Exhibition here in belgium (mediaplanet) every year they show the latest in all sorts of gadgets! but guess what, theyve decided to skip a year :cry: it was my only hope on getting my hands on the p800 before the launch.

but anyway lets hope the SE guy new what he was talking about than we wont have to wait to long

aaron

26-10-2002, 09:08 AM
Interesting you say that the memory stick will only be upgradable to 128mb. I read the October witepaper... they say they have plans for up to 1 gig in the future..... Who has more info on this topic ?>?>

anthonyjcrocks
27-10-2002, 08:36 AM
well about the 1 gig thing....i do not know how they are going to do that...they most probably mean they are going to try doing it...but to be honest, i do not think that it will be possible. The 128 will be the biggest amount of memory that they might be able to fit in the little thing....sorry dude....but who knows i might be wrong and looking at the advances in technology nowadays....i might be saying something dumb...

lwongveros
27-10-2002, 11:32 AM
I read an article recently (I believe it was on C|Net's news.com) that talked about the advancements of the different memory formats. Today the CompactFlash (CF) is already available in sizes up to 1GB, the other formats will also be catching up soon - apparently the underlying technology is all quite similiar - therefore we can expect to see MMC/SD, Smartmedia, MemoryStick and other new formats trying to get on the scene increase in size quite easily.

My two Euro-cents!

Lonnie

28-10-2002, 02:45 AM
well about the 1 gig thing....i do not know how they are going to do that...they most probably mean they are going to try doing it...but to be honest, i do not think that it will be possible. The 128 will be the biggest amount of memory that they might be able to fit in the little thing....sorry dude....but who knows i might be wrong and looking at the advances in technology nowadays....i might be saying something dumb...

The thing is, when we talk about such limitations, there must be a reference to a time frame. When we say 128mb is the maximum upgrade, when is this period? If it's right now, then I'm impressed.

When we say a 1gb memory stick is not possible, this maybe true in the next year. But in 2, 3 years' time, we would be looking stupid if we reminded ourselves we once said that a 1 gb memory stick was not possible. Pretty much like what Bill Gates once said: '64mb should be more than enough for anyone.'

Cheers.

MaleBuffy
28-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Bill Gates said that 640k will be enough for everyone! :)
However, 1gb memory sticks might get available but they might not work for the P800 or the more realistic part! I dont thjink that after 3 years you guys will be still having the P800!

:)
28-10-2002, 12:36 PM
Is the 128 Mb memory stick DUO available now?? if so how much? what about the 64 mb price?

they should make video viewing software, like divX or something, so we can have movies on the p800!

However, 1gb memory sticks might get available but they might not work for the P800 or the more realistic part! I dont thjink that after 3 years you guys will be still having the P800!

Pretty sure the 1gb memory stick would be used for other devices. and those tech trends, they come and go! nothing stays that long :(

one_neo
28-10-2002, 03:31 PM
I believe that the memory stick 128mb size was suggested by the SE guy at the Milan SMAU exhibition as the maximum size available at the moment: he didn't mention (as he probably didn't care) any future increase in the memory sticks.

To adapt (say) 1gb memory sticks to the P800 they just need to update the phone firmware, it's not that hard.

MaleBuffy
28-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Yeah well the memory stick has to go first to 256,512 and then start talking about 1gb :)

28-10-2002, 04:36 PM
But would'nt it be real slow to open say.. a 100 mb movie on a 52 MHz processor??

one_neo
28-10-2002, 04:51 PM
But would'nt it be real slow to open say.. a 100 mb movie on a 52 MHz processor??

It would be for sure. But, you know, these machines are not ready yet to do everything we are dreaming of. I think the technology is nearly there. The P800 looked to me as a 9210 on steroids, half the size, with a camera, very game-boyish: still a good improvement on existing machines.

MaleBuffy
28-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Well of course it would but they could optimise the movies so that they need less processing power! resize them and decrease the frame rate of course! It would not be a problem then I think! Some fine tunning will be needed through!

29-10-2002, 06:24 AM
We are talking about GSM phone with a PDA functionality, remember? While watching video on such a tiny screen can be entertaining, it's by no means good. You loose most of the feeling that movie or video is to give you.
So, even if you had 1 Gb of RAM and the whole DIVX movie, you'd still miss most of the information because of the understandable limitations of hardware (picture, sound).
At least, until they build in a decent projector and 2x50W speakers ;)

MaleBuffy
29-10-2002, 06:28 AM
Yeah but I dont think we are talking about movie premieres here! Just when you are in a train and have nothing to do for lets say 3-4 hours! A movie can be very handy even though it would not be extra super duper quality!

29-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Yeah, you're right. I just pointed out, that even with everything super high, the quality of experience is severely limited by hardware limitations.

29-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Hi !
In the latest usermanual (Sept)
P105 about videoplayback :

"Only the video clips saved in your P800 can be handled in the detail view. To handle a video clip saved on a Sony Memory Stick, you first have to save it to your P800..."

It is possible to play a videoclip directly from the memorystick (not from the detail view) ?

29-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi !
Page 105 about videoplayback :

"Only the video clips saved in your P800 can be handled in the detail view. To handle a video clip saved on a Sony Memory Stick, you first have to save it to your P800..."

It is possible to play a videoclip directly from the memorystick (without using the detail view) ?

anuvat
30-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Will it be any bundle softwares with the P800? and What is the official price?

h3r0
30-10-2002, 11:21 PM

no it reads a bit at a time

h3r0
30-10-2002, 11:24 PM
Hi !
Page 105 about videoplayback :

It is possible to play a videoclip directly from the memorystick (without using the detail view) ?

a video player program written to do so will :)

veppis
07-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Had an opportunity to test P800 last Friday.

It's magnificent. Operating system is stable and fast. Touchscreen works like a dream. Nice polyphonic ringtones. However the keypad is a bit plastic, but luckily you dont necessarily need it.

To me the product (P800) seemed already finished. So I'm wondering how come it isn't for sale yet. Could there be problems with the production capacity and/or costs...?

Mac
07-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Well...rumor says that its firmware is not stable.

08-11-2002, 10:11 AM
playback MPEG4 movie clips in QCif (I believe) format, that is 160x120 in 15 FPS with sound, streaming from your memorystick DUO. So just make a DIVX conversion, just that you have a small target size, and different audio compression. And even though it is not as your home cinema, it is quite cool to watch movie trailers, and small movies whilst on the train, waiting for a meeting etc. :-) Specially with your new cool stereo headset. :-)

Mac
08-11-2002, 10:41 AM
streaming from your memorystick DUO??
That would be cool :angel:
The biggest capacity of memorystick duo is 128Mb? Will it be any larger in the future?

lwongveros
08-11-2002, 11:47 AM
Mac,

The October P800 whitepaper states that the Memorystick Duo will be avaiable in sizes up to 1GB... ;)

Regards,

Lonnie

anthonyjcrocks
08-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Yeah but the thing is that the 1gig stick is just a concept that they want to bring and at the moment they only have the 128mb sticks....but who knows...Sony might surprise us with a 5gig stick... :D

Afonso
08-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Ofcourse some day there will be MS-Duo card of 1GB or bigger.
The thing is I clearly remeber having read somewhere (reliable document) that the P800 will not work with cards bigger than 128K.
I have tried to find if it was on the preliminary manual but did not foud.

A clear case of webnesia...

anthonyjcrocks
09-11-2002, 04:26 AM
what on earth, no bigger than 128Mb...hey i were thinking you know how the P800 would most probably read the memory by Kb's so if we had a big big capacity stick that would be around lets say 1gig...then how would the P800 read the big amount of memory...but yeah i know that you can upgrade the soft ware but if the P800 could not read bigger than 128Mb it really would be a pity huh....well if you find out were you saw that could you tell us? yeah i really need to find out...

MaleBuffy
09-11-2002, 04:36 AM
I think you dont have to worry much! For example, Nokia said that the 7650 cannot capture video..but it does...! It might be a matter of firmware, but currently it does not support memory sticks over 128mb! However, thas becasue there are no mem sticks over 128mb so SE hasnt tested it yet!

Mac
09-11-2002, 05:30 AM
Can the cpu of P800 handle that much (1G)?
doubting :roll:

MaleBuffy
09-11-2002, 05:40 AM
1G unlikely! 256mb maybe! After that its getting blurred!

anthonyjcrocks
09-11-2002, 05:53 AM
oh well but 250+Mb is already a lot when you consider it carefuly. And maybe by the time that a 1 gig stick appears it would be a long time from now and we might even have a P2000 if you know what i mean.

MaleBuffy
09-11-2002, 05:58 AM
True, you wont wanna stick with you p800 forever...

09-11-2002, 12:47 PM
Wow, there is'nt even a P800 yet, and were planning to dump it :)

anthonyjcrocks
10-11-2002, 09:24 AM
:D Yeah funny huh...but personally when i get the P800 i think that i would last longer than i would think as it might be as much i need....yeah but thinking about dumping it is funny...