View Full Version : Reflective question:

TANKERx
22-10-2002, 06:37 AM
Following a rant on the Microsoft topic in this Forum, I asked myself, does it really matter?

Ultimately, I think the answer is no.

upponalle
22-10-2002, 07:22 AM
At least it showed that this forum is not so narrow-minded! But I think that most of the people here are really sticking to Symbian products, so I have to agree with you that it really doesn't matter!

Ewan
22-10-2002, 08:15 AM
I think it does matter - after all diversity is good in a market such as this. It forces Company A to react to Company B's efforts, and vice versa. This helps drive the market forward.

What also matters is that the Symbian/Nokia/SE etc consortium is clearly a mobile phone manufacturer, with it's own ideas of customer support, as opposed to Microsoft which is building a small computer that happens to have a phone. Two different ethos, looking for the same people (but calling tem different things).

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting.

Oh, and ask yourself what other communities could have such a wide ranging discussion - that didn't descend into horrible flame bait...

J2theIZZO
22-10-2002, 08:29 AM
I think it does matter - after all diversity is good in a market such as this. It forces Company A to react to Company B's efforts, and vice versa. This helps drive the market forward.

What also matters is that the Symbian/Nokia/SE etc consortium is clearly a mobile phone manufacturer, with it's own ideas of customer support, as opposed to Microsoft which is building a small computer that happens to have a phone. Two different ethos, looking for the same people (but calling tem different things).

The next 12 months is going to be very interesting.

Oh, and ask yourself what other communities could have such a wide ranging discussion - that didn't descend into horrible flame bait...

I agree, rivalry between companys is great for the end user, technology progresses so much faster.

If MS was the only Mobile OS on the market why would they rush to produce more products? They know at the end of the day they'll still have 100% of the market with an OS that's getting on a bit.

I don't want to get into the Symbian/MS argument as I feel no need, I am a Symbian user and until MS (Or anyone else) impresses me with another product that's the way i'm going to stay.

TANKERx
22-10-2002, 08:30 AM
When I asked if it mattered, I wasn't talking about whether it mattered to the market and technology - because it does.

But does it matter? Where does it rank after family, friends, financial and emotional security, health, education and wotnot?

Accuse me of depressing you all if you like, but I'm kinda in a melancholic mood at the moment. If someone's been let down, is broken hearted, lost his/her job, faced death.... having a nice phone doesn't make up for it.

For example, if you look at the behaviour of the owner of PocketPCThoughts, you'll see that when someone has a go at his precious little box of wires, he gets upset, depressed, anxious, angry, vulnerable and vindictive all at the same time. I hope none of us are like that here, that when someone comes along and says "Hey, your phone is crap" that we can defend our choice but ultimately, shrug it off and say "hey! At least I got a life!"

Ewan
22-10-2002, 08:40 AM
Ah! That sort of "does it matter?"

Course it doesn't. My daughter (12 weeks old last Saturday) and my wife are light years ahead of the phone wars.

J2theIZZO
22-10-2002, 08:43 AM
I'd say I wasn't that deep with my "box of wires" I have a life outside of this forum.

I agree that it is very important to the market, but in the grand scheme of things is perhaps a very minor thing, I think it's just to easy to get carried away with the small things in life. :D

MaleBuffy
22-10-2002, 05:18 PM
I too have a life outside this forum, although it is difficult to believe! :D

TheSpecialBoy
22-10-2002, 08:22 PM
I had quite good experience with my geos 9210. I said that because took so mutch time until er6 was available an could`t put my hands on a device running this version.

Now I have it and i`m happy.

I think for the next 2 years for me it does not matter. Really.

It is not an issue of phone. Is an issue of OS Enviroment.

Not few of ppl in this forum are really Symnbian developers, but this community is growing fast. Just take a look at the developer section in this forum.

For them it Matters because they can make money from this.

On the other hand, it really does not matter. Consumers will buy what the market offers, what they can afford (not everybody will buy 800 Phone), what they can master and handle (9210 users :D )

So, it deoes and does not, depending from witch point of view u are looking :roll:

That`s it brothers in arms 8)

Rafe
22-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Yep absolutely right. It doesn't matter, ultimately it is just, even for the keenest, just a hobby or an interest. I think thought that partly why the community here is friendly, necause its diverse and remarkably sensible. We disagree from time to time, but don't end up flaming each other. Its something that is really nice and very different from some online communities. Ultimately that doesn't matter either I suppose!

It doesn't stop us enjoying ourselves though ;) !

and I have a life too (stop sniggering at the back there) outside this site (honest).