View Full Version : First Impressions of the Nokia 9300

Ewan
19-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Frank has been lusting after the perfect smartphone for a few years now, and after less than a week with the Nokia 9300, he thinks he's found it. Read why in his First Impressions (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=141).

PEZ
20-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Frank has been lusting after the perfect smartphone for a few years now, and after less than a week with the Nokia 9300, he thinks he's found it. Read why in his First Impressions (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=141).

Thanks for the review! I'll buy one of these once they pack WLAN in it.

Ewan
20-01-2005, 11:57 PM
9500 too large for you?

davidlove
24-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Interesting review, but then most folk are probably trying to decide between 9300 and 9500.

I played with a 9500 before passing it on to a colleague and retiring hurt to my 6600. Why?

There was lots on the 9500 I liked. Good build quality - for a Nokia - the UI was intuitive (though the way features are shared between the two screens can confuse), and the readability of the screen was first class.

Like the 9300 reviewer, I loved the way the email client displayed HTML messages, and the browser was excellent, including the full screen and zoom facilities. The downloadable PDF viewer is a well thought out bonus.

The WiFi was fun and the camera - well, surely unnecessary.

Which brings me to the point. It's a great device, yet it begs the question Why?

If your life revolves around hotels and airport lounges, it's great. But many of the people it's aimed at commute between PCs. I travel between my home PC and several offices, all of which enable me to jump on the net at high speed. And I usually walk or cycle, hence I'm reluctant to carry excess weight or bulk (you soon feel the 100g difference between a 9500 and a 6600, itself not small).

And when I need data, I need to reach it with one hand, not fiddle around opening a clamshell, then use two thumbed typing.

I'm not trying to be negative about this device or others in its class. I'm just saying - ask yourself how you'll use it before taking the plunge.

Dusty
26-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I had a brief play with a 9300 prototype a week or so ago. As a seasoned 9110/9210 owner, I have to say I was very impressed by the size & build of the device (the UI will be very familiar to any 9210 owners). The keyboard's pretty decent, & I can see why Nokia don't want people to think of it as a Communicator - when closed, it feels more like the older, rock-solid basic Nokia phones from a few years ago in terms of size & weight. At the same time, though, the device has the same sort of little, silver, efficient feel that sold me on my 12" Apple Powerbook.

Having said that, I'm probably going to opt for the 9500 when I upgrade my 9210, though - the built-in WiFi is just too great a selling point for me to resist.

And then, knowing my luck, a 9300i will come out with WiFi a week after I get a 9500...

Incidentally, does anyone know if either of these devices will talk to a Mac yet for Bluetooth synching?

Ewan
26-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Both come with SyncML, beyond that I don;t know.