View Full Version : Poor volume output with headphones

fannypad
15-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I've just modified the Nokia stereo headset that came with my 6630 with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and have been using it with my Sony MDR-EX71 earphones.

Basically, the volume put out by the 6630 is piss poor. Even some crusty old CD walkman I dug out of my closet goes far louder with the same earphones.

Anyone else try using their own set of earphones with the 6630? Do they go as loud as they do on other players?

clive1
15-01-2005, 08:32 PM
piss poor?
im using the standard nokia headphones playing a mp3 using real player and its plenty loud enough

Fidelko
15-01-2005, 09:33 PM
piss poor?
im using the standard nokia headphones playing a mp3 using real player and its plenty loud enough

yes,loud enogh,but the quality is not so good,as via loudspeaker :rolleyes:

Unplugged
16-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Not rearlly the qualirt on mine is great though the headphones definatly surpasses the loudspeaker quality.

willbrady
16-01-2005, 10:25 AM
FannyPad.

I think you should put your phone back in the box and take it back.
It's would appear you are not happy with it as every thread you have started appears to be a complaint ;)

Why not go get youself a series 40 phone, a top end 20mp digital camera, a bose mp3 system with ultra souround sound strapped to your back, a sony vaio laptop and a DvPro camcorder.

Then perhaps you'll be happy with your purchase :) :) :) :) :)

Peace under the stars

Will

celios
16-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I've just modified the Nokia stereo headset that came with my 6630 with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and have been using it with my Sony MDR-EX71 earphones.

Basically, the volume put out by the 6630 is piss poor. Even some crusty old CD walkman I dug out of my closet goes far louder with the same earphones.

Anyone else try using their own set of earphones with the 6630? Do they go as loud as they do on other players?

fannypad,

Either there's a problem with your phone or your handywork hasn't worked as well as you hoped - I have a pop port headphone adaptor I got on eBay and the volume is fine (loud enough to hurt if you turn it up by accident!) though that and the original headphones that came with the 6630.

fannypad
16-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Willbrady, this is my first Series 60 phone, and whilst I am generally very happy with it, if there's something I don't know or that is bothering me, I will post it up. After all, isn't that what this forum is for? ;)

Celios, I've done the 3.5mm headphone adaptor mod (using both HDS-3 and HS-3 stereo headsets) many times, so I should think I know what I'm doing ;) Besides, it isn't exactly complex micro soldering is it? And what earphones are you using? Have you compared the output of the phone and another player (CD walkman or whatever) with the same earphones?

Just as a side note, the pop-port to 3.5mm headphone jack adapters that you see on Ebay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6356183748&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT are only capable of mono output. The Nokia stereo headsets have an IC (chip) inside which is necessary for stereo output. People have tried everything including adding resistors between the VCC and DATA pins equivalent to the resistance the headset provides, but nothing works except using the original Nokia headset PCB.

celios
16-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Celios, I've done the 3.5mm headphone adaptor mod (using both HDS-3 and HS-3 stereo headsets) many times, so I should think I know what I'm doing ;) Besides, it isn't exactly complex micro soldering is it? And what earphones are you using? Have you compared the output of the phone and another player (CD walkman or whatever) with the same earphones?

I guess you must have a faulty phone, as I am using mine with the same headphones (Shure E3c - http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e3c.asp) that I use with my PC at work, my P900 and my old memory stick walkman and they give great volume with the 6630 (the bass isn't bad either).

Just as a side note, the pop-port to 3.5mm headphone jack adapters that you see on Ebay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6356183748&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT are only capable of mono output. The Nokia stereo headsets have an IC (chip) inside which is necessary for stereo output. People have tried everything including adding resistors between the VCC and DATA pins equivalent to the resistance the headset provides, but nothing works except using the original Nokia headset PCB.

Yup, my pop port adaptor (this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42408&item=6358012337) is genuine, 100%, free range, stereo :D

Guest2210
31-01-2005, 08:54 PM
The volume with the nokia headset connected is not very hard, but still quite a sound. I didn't like the sound quality and I too wanted more volume to the sound. Thus I modded my HDS-3 headset. First I built in a 3.5mm connector (built in after the mike). Solder the cables to L- (ground cable), L+ , R- (ground cable) and R+.

Now I can put on every earphone I like. I already tested it with my Philips SBC-HE 580. The cheapest set I have +/- 20. This set has a volume slide in its cable. The soundquality is very good and the volume is very high. Phone volume and wire volumeslide at high will blowup your ears, guarranteed!

p51
31-01-2005, 11:42 PM
fannypad,
i have done the same mod to my 6630 headphones, and i use my ipod headphones with the 6630. Because of the 64mb card i cant fit much music on my phone, but the tracks i have played are plenty loud.

It sounds like your shared ground (the outer loose strands of wire0 are not happily soldered. Just an idea.

It happened to me reapiring some old sony head phones in the past.

fannypad
01-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Nah, everything's soldered perfectly, like I said I've done this mod many times ;)

I've since tried my earphones with the HDS-3 on other Nokia phones and the max volume is the same. It's most likely that the phones can't output enough power to drive the earphones.

To be honest it's not that important as they are in-ear type earphones that block out most ambient noise, and I hardly ever have them at full volume.

Eltoroeire
09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Fannypad. If you're listening *edit reading* What exactly do you do with the headphones? Are you attaching a jack (female) to the nokia piece that fits the phone?.. so that you can use any jack phones you want? If so, how does that result in 'size in your pocket'? I'm sure I'd make a balls of it if I tried but you could always tell me exactly whats involved and maybe send me a modified piece .. for a fee of course.

p51
09-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Pictures speak louder than words.
This is where I got the info to make my sets of modded hds-3

http://www.globetown.net/~nokia40a/earphone/