View Full Version : No Bluetooth Serial profile in 6630??!?

fannypad
13-01-2005, 02:55 AM
I just downloaded ControlFreak for my 6630, and lo and behold it needs a Bluetooth serial port to work.

However, the WIDCOMM software that came with my Bluetooth adapter tells me that the 6630 does not support the Bluetooth serial port profile.

Having had a quick look on the net it does seem to be the case.

WHY??!? No laptop connections, no peripherals, no support for stuff like ControlFreak... in a supposed high-end phone. Ridiculous.

However, I did find this page: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31338 on which a few people reported getting Bluetooth GPS boxes working with the 6630, which use the serial profile.

So, what's going on? Is it to do with the WIDCOMM Bluetooth stack I'm using? Or have Nokia engineers been sniffing too much ketamine the last year?

Utenteanonimo64
13-01-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm not a bluetooth expert but the way I understood it, an application can implement a serial port profile and use the bluetooth stack even if the stack itself doesn't offer the serial profile.
I can confirm that the WayFinder software works fine with a Bluetooth GPS receiver connected to the 6630. But applications that simply try to open a serial port on the phone will not find any.

I think not having a bluetooth serial profile is another design decision that Nokia took to please network operators; this way you can't use your phone to connect to a pc and access the internet using the pc as a gateway.

UA

fannypad
13-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

So, theoretically, it would be possible to install an app on the phone which enables the serial profile and use it in the same way as before? Is anyone working on such an app at the moment?

Utenteanonimo64
13-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, I think it's possible. One phone based on the Windows Mobile platform suffered from the same problem and someone wrote an application to enable the serial profile. I am not aware of anyone trying the same thing for a Symbian phone.

UA

WillyTP
13-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm experiencing your same problem. I need the serial connection for making the phone using my PC DSL connection as a Internet gateway...

mtvoid
13-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I just downloaded ControlFreak for my 6630, and lo and behold it needs a Bluetooth serial port to work.

However, the WIDCOMM software that came with my Bluetooth adapter tells me that the 6630 does not support the Bluetooth serial port profile.

Having had a quick look on the net it does seem to be the case.

WHY??!? No laptop connections, no peripherals, no support for stuff like ControlFreak... in a supposed high-end phone. Ridiculous.

However, I did find this page: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31338 on which a few people reported getting Bluetooth GPS boxes working with the 6630, which use the serial profile.

So, what's going on? Is it to do with the WIDCOMM Bluetooth stack I'm using? Or have Nokia engineers been sniffing too much ketamine the last year?

Hi fannypad, ControlFreak actually works fine on a 6630. In fact that's what i use it on everyday :)

You don't need the phone to support incoming serial port profile connections since ControlFreak works by creating a connection from the phone to the PC, not the other way around. So all you need to do is open the WIDCOMM bluetooth configuration and make sure the Bluetooth serial port is enabled in Local Services and then set that COM port number into the winamp plugin configuration. Choosing Connect from the phone application will create the Bluetooth connection and everything should work fine.

Hope this helps,
Trent

WillyTP
13-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes ControlFreak2 works perfecly :)
So in theory shouldn't be Cell -> PC as a Internet DSL gateway working too with an appropriate program that I think still doesn't exist? :D

SPEEDMAN
30-04-2005, 03:32 PM
i like puppet master and bemused more than controlfreak. With controlfreak i lose BT connection over the com port all the time. Puppet master and bemused keep a good and direct connection.

controlfreak looks good, but doesn't work right, that's my experience !

but if these apps support a BT serial connection, it should be possible to use a program which can connect through BT, giving you internet through BT !

Righty27
25-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I've considered using Gnubox for internet access via bluetooth on my N70 but am concerned that the access point changes will affect how I use other applications or 'standard' access points.

So I thought I would bump this thread ... ControlFreak is excellent and works perfectly e.g. as a WinAmp remote. I noticed the mtvoid guys (controlfreak developers) on this thread and someone else wondering why their method could not be used for internet access also e.g. with browser, RSS, IM, VOIP, etc. - anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

RGressick
30-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Now, someone did say that there is possibly an application for Windows Mobile phones (I have WM6) that would allow you to open the Bluetooth Serial Port from the Phone Side. Does any have a link or a name of what this application would be?
Because i have the issue that i know many others have and are disappointed with is that your phone's chip can do everything bluetooth, but the software that is preprogrammed into the SmartPhone locks out certain features. I would like to be able to hook my Bluetooth GPS device to my Bluetooth enabled phone. And since my phone only takes Mini SDs, i can't hook up a SD GPS reciever to it. So there is plenty more i know my phone can do, and to have the right apps would help, its just the issue in finding the apps.

nikemate16
03-10-2007, 02:32 AM
welcome to visit our website :nikemate.com

nikemate16
03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
welcome to visit our website :nikemate.com