View Full Version : 6630 MP3 as ringtones

plippy001
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
my 6630 arrived yesterday, but i have noticed that i cannot set any mp3's as ringtones, it keeps coming up with an error message "unable to set as tone, file format not supported" although it will play the mp3, it wont set as a ringtone.

could anyone provide advice on what to do, if anything.

thanks in advance.

mikeday83
12-01-2005, 11:27 AM
have to convert to AAC.
It works fine on orange but not on vodafone for some reason

Utenteanonimo64
12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Advice is: read the forum before asking questions... this has been already discussed!!
I think you have a Vodafone branded 6630 and they don't allow mp3 files as ringtones so that you buy ringtones via their download service. I think this choice in the US would have caused a class action against Vodafone and against Nokia who have allowed a reseller of their phones to modify the phone so that it doesn't follow the standard specifications anymore. Not to mention that Vodafone is obviously avoiding to give unlock codes for their phones (AS REQUIRED BY EU LAWS) using lame excuses.

I think they are one of the most arrogant companies in Europe. Their last invention in Italy is GPRS priced by the time (i.e. you pay 15 minutes of connection every time you transfer 1 byte of data). This is the death of the "always on, always connected" concept that the operators fed to us when launching GPRS and basically the admission of the fact that their position in the value chain is to be the pipe between the user and other service providers because their value added services (sms chat, mms, etc) are basically a load of crap! Too bad for Vodafone and the other network operators but people are using email on their phone more than those ridiculous MMS messages!

UA

saggy2004
12-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Try putting ur MP3 files, in folder \Sounds\Digital ...then it should be get listed in profiles, when setting ringtone... it worked in my case....don't know, about vodafone,singapure phones etc... BUT MP3s can be set as ringtone, no doubt!!

daywalker
12-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Utenteanonimo64 : :icon14:

i have a vodafone 6630 and can cnfm they have disabled the use of MP3 for use as ringtones unless downloaded/brought via there LIVE wap service.i beleave t-mobile & orange have not done this.

I have since purchased a generic 6630 & dont have to convert my MP3 to another format.

franicsg76
15-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Unfortunatley this is a sad case, I have recentley purchased a 6630 on voda with the same problem. At present I'm still trying to find a way around this as its ridiculous that they have done this. If anyone has any suggestions please help as we symbian users are victimised to spend more money by these stupid networks!

Utenteanonimo64
15-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Unfortunatley this is a sad case, I have recentley purchased a 6630 on voda with the same problem. At present I'm still trying to find a way around this as its ridiculous that they have done this. If anyone has any suggestions please help as we symbian users are victimised to spend more money by these stupid networks!

The suggestion is to say bye bye to Vodafone and their business practises. I always avoid to roam on Vodafone networks when I am abroad.

UA

plippy001
18-01-2005, 11:21 AM
ive just got off the phone to vodafone, they told me that due to copyright they have that barring thing on all mp3's, and they are not going to give any unlocking codes, or remove the bar, and that all the other networks are gonna follow suit and bar the use of mp3's as ringtones.

what is wrong with the world!!!

The_Fellowship
18-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Wouldn't take too much notice of what they say...Vodafone told me Santa uses their network lol

I think you might be able to convert the MP3 to another format (AAC etc.) and use the file ok. I have used the iTunes software which seems to work well.

daywalker
18-01-2005, 02:01 PM
ive just got off the phone to vodafone, they told me that due to copyright they have that barring thing on all mp3's, and they are not going to give any unlocking codes, or remove the bar, and that all the other networks are gonna follow suit and bar the use of mp3's as ringtones.

what is wrong with the world!!!

sounds like a silly excuse from vodafone, am sure if the other networks were planning to do this they would have done it prior to releasing their phones.

VODAFONE :icon13: :icon13: :icon13: :icon13: :icon13:

fannypad
18-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Total load of bollocks mate.

If they were worried about copyright they'd have locked down mp3 playback completely instead of just disabling mp3 ringtones.

The only thing this sets out to achieve is to get the average luddite user with little technological knowledge to spend a fiver a go on ringtones when they can't get their own ones to work.

Bunch of thieving cunts.

And as someone else said on here, as much as I hate yanks and america, if they tried pulling this stunt over there they'd be knee deep in class action lawsuits from day one.

Over here noone gives a shit, easier to lie down and let them slowly prise your sphincter apart with their commercial bullshit.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest :tongue:

fannypad
18-01-2005, 04:08 PM
As a side note, has anyone tried repackaging their mp3s with the DRM Repackager from Sony Ericsson? This adds DRM to your files, which I'd assume will make the mp3s work as ringtones on the 6630 (it works for both the Sony Ericsson K700 and V700).

Have a look here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=75057

The_Fellowship
18-01-2005, 04:52 PM
fannypad...i tried using that DRM method, but it still said the format was not supported/recongized. I think I carried out the procedure correctly...has anyone else tried it?

jmax577
06-02-2005, 12:33 AM
nice. thanks. anyways, the problem is officially in the us. i have had a 6620 for a few months now, and a new firmware version is now out which converts the d stick to a shortcut key at the home screen versus being dead. i exchanged my phone for this new version however, i am now having this EXACT same problem with setting mp3's as ringtones. have you guys forund anyway around this yet?!

TokyoScoop
06-02-2005, 01:47 PM
If you have a copy of Quicktime Pro from Apple (it's something like $25) you can do this. Load up your favorite MP3, edit it as you wish and then export to a 3GPP2 file (.3g2 extention). The Vodafone 6630 will play it with no problem and you can also set it as a ring tone.

TS

Ratkat
07-02-2005, 11:29 AM
If you have a copy of Quicktime Pro from Apple (it's something like $25) you can do this. Load up your favorite MP3, edit it as you wish and then export to a 3GPP2 file (.3g2 extention). The Vodafone 6630 will play it with no problem and you can also set it as a ring tone.

TS

Yep that works perfectly, cheers for that tip

Enokian
07-02-2005, 02:39 PM

TS

You can also use iTunes ... that is free ... In that case the file extension is .m4a

and it works also :)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/ (iTUNES)

Unplugged
08-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Or DbPowerAmp also free and the AAC encoder (also free)