View Full Version : Battery Problem

azzy
05-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi All

Has anyone noticed the battery life on the nokia 6630 is very low, I have to charge mine every single night, doesnt last 1 full day and I dont do much with the phone, has anybody else noticed this drawback and any solutions?

can16358p
05-01-2005, 02:58 PM
If you are on a 3G network unfortunatelly this is normal.

Fidelko
05-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi All

Has anyone noticed the battery life on the nokia 6630 is very low, I have to charge mine every single night, doesnt last 1 full day and I dont do much with the phone, has anybody else noticed this drawback and any solutions?

someone said,the the standby time in 3G is different from 1 to 4 days.in GSM its more /i charge the phone once a week/.maybe you forget to cycle the battery /3 cycles of full charging /10-12 hours/.i charged the phone for the first 3 times about 10 hours,than normally /1.5 hour/ and my standby time is a week and i use it frequently,but only in GSM/GPRS/EDGE,not 3G

Enokian
05-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi All

I am using the phone only with GSM/EDGE and I have also encountered the same drawback.

But it seems now going better after 6 or 7 cycles of full charge.

Unplugged
05-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Compared the the 6600 the battery life is great although all nokia symbians have poor battery life its just that phone technolgy is moving quicker than battery technology :(

daywalker
05-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I heard about bad battery life with with the 6630 prior to purchasing one but once u remember to cycle yr battery correctly at the start than u shouldnt have a problem,make sure u charge it fully after use for 2-3 days and it will be fine,i did this and mine is fine no different to my 6600 or 7610 :D

p51
06-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Azzy,
Mine is exactly the same.
I charged it exactly as you should at the begining. Full charge and discharge cycles, and i am doing it still now as best I can.

But after a full charge, I am getting less than 24hours standby.

can16358p
06-01-2005, 03:23 PM
p51 and Azzy are you on UMTS (3G) or normal GSM?

Enokian
06-01-2005, 05:04 PM
I heard about bad battery life with with the 6630 prior to purchasing one but once u remember to cycle yr battery correctly at the start than u shouldnt have a problem,make sure u charge it fully after use for 2-3 days and it will be fine,i did this and mine is fine no different to my 6600 or 7610 :D

Yes, but is far from the specifications given by Nokia ...

Power Management

Battery Capacity Talk time Standby time
BL-5C 900 mAh Li-lon Up to 2-6 h Up to 6-11 days

These figures are always optimistic, so you can hope the battery charge will last about 4 days in standby mode.

fannypad
07-01-2005, 04:30 AM
How are you lot using the phone? If you're always fannying about with apps and playing mp3s etc, then to have the phone last a day is par for the course.

And apparently the 1050mAh BL-6C battery from the N-Gage QD works in the 6630. The difference is noticeable from what I've heard.

p51
08-01-2005, 03:10 AM
mine is on Vodafone 3G UK.
At first i using phone every other minute, but now it calmed down to regular useage - just like my old 6600 a couple of months ago, that was getting much better battery life than my 6630 even when it was nearly a year old!

da_bar
08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm using my 6630 on GSM network, and with normal usage and after 2 or 3 charging cycles it last max 5 days and min 3 days.
Normaly if you use GPRS or MP3 a lot it drains the battery much.
I also noticed that if you have bluetooth on all the time it shortens the life by half.

These are my conclusions after using the phone for 3 weeks.

error
14-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi,

I have my 6630 about 1 week now and have noticed very bad battery life, I'm only getting 12 hours max out of a full battery. I'm from Ireland and we're having big problems with this hand-set, I'm using it on Ready To Go (Credit top ups) on Vodafone Ireland and because Vodafone Ireland have just made this phone availble to there monthly bill customers the 6630 keeps swiching between GSM & 3 G so I can't even use the phone really.

I went to a store yesterday to get an N-Gage battery (BL-C6) as they are better, but they had none left so I just got another 6630 battery (BL-C5) and I've charging the new 6630 battery now for 18 hours and it only has 3 bars on it ? ? ? :frown:

fannypad
14-01-2005, 03:25 PM
error, sounds like you've ot a dodgy phone or battery. Does the new battery have the new Nokia hologram on it? If not then it's probably a cheap far-eastern knock-off.

Also, you can switch off 3G access (depending on the firmware in your phone, has to be a couple of versions old or newer). Being connected to 3G drains your battery hard.

Go to Menu > Tools > Settings > Network, and the first option should be Network Mode. Switch that to GSM, reboot the phone and it will not search for WCDMA access anymore.

error
14-01-2005, 03:44 PM
@fannypad, yea it is a cheap one but the 1 i got with my 6630 has the Nokia hologram on it....

And as regading turning off the 3G, my firmware is V2.39.15 & on my 6630 to get to network setting I go :

Menu>
Settings>
Network>

But I only get two options.....

1. Operator Selection>>> Automatic / Manual

&

2. Cell info display>>> On / Off

:frown:

fannypad
14-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Yep, your firmware is too old. The Network Mode option was only added in v3.xx firmware. I'm glad my T-Mobile 6630 came with v3.45.111 and I can switch 3G off.

I don't think Vodafone branded software later than the version you have exists, so even if you were to ask to have it updated you'd be out of luck mate.

As for the battery, give the cheap fake one back to the shop. It's useless. All the imitation BL-5C batteries I've tried have been a waste of space. Basically, if it hasn't got the hologram then don't bother with it.

The reason you're getting such bad battery life is due to yor phone constantly switching between 2G and 3G. Try pestering Vodafone, you never know they might have the latest firmware version tucked away somewhere.

It's worth buying an official Nokia BL-6C battery as well, everyone I've spoken to that's using one has said you literally get 25% extra life with it.

error
14-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Thanks fannypad,

I'm going to bring it to a repair center on Monday and get them to upgrade the firmware for me. Also is upgrading the firmware just flashing the phone with the latest firmware file/s ?