View Full Version : 9500 - Clock changing time zones problem

Tomahawk
22-12-2004, 04:00 PM
When I travelled abroad last week, I selected my new location city and it changed the time accordingly. OK so far, just like 9210 - now the alarm clock will work correctly.

But - and it is a big but - it changed all the appointment times in calendar to local time. Absolutely bugger all use when the time change is 5 1/2 hours and you are trying to set up meetings for when you come back home again.

9210 didn't chnge calendar entries - anybody know how to deselect this change - I couldn't find an option it seems to do it by default. This is a pile of crap and a major pain in the arse for travellers - why the hell could Nokia have not made it optional instead of a unilateral system change?

Dewcall
22-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks for this warning! I have just checked my 9500 and note that when you go to change the current city in "clock" you get a warning that the clock and calendar will change by x hours. Likewise I cannot find anyway to stop this. As someone who travels frequently across time zones, this has the potential to screw up my diary in a big way! At the very least, it should be optional. I also fail to see the need for it! If you want to know the time at another location, have two clocks open. I know the overall standard of numeracy is falling, but I would like to think that most users fo a 9500 can add and subtract numbers between 1 and 23!

Dewcall
29-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Has anybody found a solution tot his issue yet? if so, would appreciate knowing.

Huib van den Oever
30-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Huib

Dewcall
30-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Huib,

Many thanks for comments / explanation. I agree with your solution of only changing the time and not location, but it does rather make a mockery of the application for the "lone" worker. Do any of the 3rd party clocks cause the same problem?

I have not seen any issues with the clock but will keep looking - thanks for the warning.

Dave

Huib van den Oever
30-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Huib,

Many thanks for comments / explanation. I agree with your solution of only changing the time and not location, but it does rather make a mockery of the application for the "lone" worker. Do any of the 3rd party clocks cause the same problem?

I have not seen any issues with the clock but will keep looking - thanks for the warning.

Dave

While the clock may have soms bugs, I think the calender app just needs a very small adaption, of which I am sure it will come. Add an option that keeps the calendar from updating with timezones.
Now you can clearly see, after a timezone change, that the calendar is closing and re-reading and adapting the data. Thats should stop.

Huib

McFly
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
I was in Sydney last week and didn't find it a problem.
I guess you could just change the system time... That wouldn't disturb the calander entries.

Huib van den Oever
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
I was in Sydney last week and didn't find it a problem.
I guess you could just change the system time... That wouldn't disturb the calander entries.

McFLy,
Yep, it is a good workaround, but a workaround only.
Friday I will fly one timezone and change a SIM card for a different country.
I was wondering if the phone automaticaly changed the timezone last time because of changing SIM card/GSM provider. Or did I do it by accident, or a small bug in the clock software.

Must be nice in Sidney though.
Huib

Dewcall
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
I wrote to Nokia help line and asked about this. Their response was that they could not send me any information as I had not given them permission to send me marketing inofrmation! Please let me know if I am missing something here! :icon13:

turnmatt
18-04-2005, 02:46 AM
I am having the same horrific problem with my 9300. For some reason my "local city" clock changed on its own to London,, which changed all of my times in my 9300 calendar by a few hours! What is going on here and why??!!! I try changing my home city (to New York) which changes all the times of my appointments in calendar ever more! This is aweful. Can someone please help me so that the times in my calendar won't get changed again. I can't find an option to toggle this time changing mess off. Thanks in advance for any help... (I synch. with outlook and have so many calendar entries I am not about to change them by hand,,)

turnmatt
18-04-2005, 02:48 AM
I am having the same horrific problem with my 9300. For some reason my "local city" clock changed on its own to London,, which changed all of my times in my 9300 calendar by a few hours! What is going on here and why??!!! I try changing my home city (to New York) which changes all the times of my appointments in calendar ever more! This is aweful. Can someone please help me so that the times in my calendar won't get changed again. I can't find an option to toggle this time changing mess off. Thanks in advance for any help... (I synch. with outlook and have so many calendar entries I am not about to change them by hand,,)

Oh,, I forgot to mention that I too have installed World Traveler.

asiatraveler
18-04-2005, 08:14 AM
I live in Asia and spent a few weeks in California in March. I let the GSM operator change my system automatically and thereby created a real mess in my Outlook calendar when I synchronized my 9500 with the Laptop.

I had all appointments twice - on 2 different days (15 hours time difference). I had to manually delete hundreds of appointments, holidays, birthdays etc. in Outlook.

For later synchronizations I set both clocks, Laptop and Nokia, back to my +8 Hong Kong Timezone - and now I always make an Outlook backup first!

Happy traveling!

turnmatt
18-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know how to toggle to turn this off? I can't believe Nokia would be so dumb to have missed this huge problem.

dutchie
02-02-2006, 03:15 AM
i see some of you have the same issue - namely when you change the clock, all our appointments change too. has nokia fixed this glaring PROBLEM? think i may have to get another product - definately not useful for any international traveler.

i can change the phone clock but then my appointment alarms are all off. i could put all international appointments at X hours ahead/behind of my local time - but that is not what i should be doing and one is prone to make mistakes as well as the time in the calendar is not correct at the local time.

Palm, SonyEricsson, Blackberry don't have this problem - why symbian/nokia?

any solutions??
many thanks,

WST
02-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm a 9300 user and didn't know about this problem. I only change the time when I travel (and lately I don't travel that much).

What's ironic however, is that a friend of mine came to me a few months ago and asked me the same thing, (I think, please tell me if it's not) except he was a Pocket PC (or whatever they are called these days) user, and I just laughed and we sat and googled together and found this:

PI Correct Time (http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=429)

I didn't know that we (Nokia 9500/9300users ) have the same problem. I hope he never finds out :) Because I really ridiculed his Pocket PC device and told him to go buy a real phone/pda that runs on Symbian. And now this :(

Sorry this post didn't solve your problem, however, it might comfort you to know that you are not alone :)

(that's if I got what you are saying right)

stubby
04-02-2006, 11:21 PM
I posted this problem months ago, and I wrote to Nokia who had already replaced my phone free of charge. Nothing happened, and it causes chaos with my agenda - such chaos that I am not sure which diary entries if changed back correctly and which were permanently changed.
My contract is up this month and I think I am going to try to find an alternative.
I have had nothing but problems with most of the apps on 9500 and I agree with other posts saying my old Psion and my 9210i was far more reliable, and free from bugs.