View Full Version : [Help] Nokia 6260 Newbie Questions

DaViD_BRaNDoN
20-12-2004, 05:10 PM
I found these (using the built-in 'File Manager') in my Nokia 6260's RS-MMC card (in the 'Library' folder):

- demo.prc
- license.html
- mobihelp.prc
- welcome.prc

Question is, what are those files for and is it safe to delete them? And, is there a way to sort Contact lists by "FirstName LastName"?

By the way, anyone knows where I can find good quality resources (themes, ringtones - MP3/MIDI, wallpapers, etc) for Nokia 6260? Thanks :D

TANKERx
20-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I found these (using the built-in 'File Manager') in my Nokia 6260's RS-MMC card (in the 'Library' folder):

- demo.prc
- license.html
- mobihelp.prc
- welcome.prc

Question is, what are those files for and is it safe to delete them? And, is there a way to sort Contact lists by "FirstName LastName"?

By the way, anyone knows where I can find good quality resources (themes, ringtones - MP3/MIDI, wallpapers, etc) for Nokia 6260? Thanks :D

1. Files ending with .PRC are Mobipocket files and so I wouldn't worry too much about deleting them (though you may find mobihelp.prc to be of help in the future). You can open license.html and see what it says but I'd guess that you can delete that as well (no blame accepted if something breaks).

2. In 'Contacts', press Options -> Settings -> First Name First

3. http://www.symbianthemes.com, http://www.zedge.no, http://gallery.mobile9.com

DaViD_BRaNDoN
20-12-2004, 06:23 PM
1. Files ending with .PRC are Mobipocket files and so I wouldn't worry too much about deleting them (though you may find mobihelp.prc to be of help in the future). You can open license.html and see what it says but I'd guess that you can delete that as well (no blame accepted if something breaks).

2. In 'Contacts', press Options -> Settings -> First Name First

3. http://www.symbianthemes.com, http://www.zedge.no, http://gallery.mobile9.com

Thanks for the quick reply and help. I don't use Mobipocket so I guess I'll just delete *.prc files. Is it safe to delete the 'Library' folder as well?

BTW, there's no 'Settings' in Contacts > Options > Settings > First Name First but I did find in in Contacts > Subcribed Contacts > Options > Settings > First Name First. But my contact lists are still not sorted in 'FirstName LastName'. Maybe it works only for 'Subscribed Contacts' lists (I think it has something to do with Push-to-Talk user list) :frown:

TANKERx
20-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and help. I don't use Mobipocket so I guess I'll just delete *.prc files. Is it safe to delete the 'Library' folder as well?

BTW, there's no 'Settings' in Contacts > Options > Settings > First Name First but I did find in in Contacts > Subcribed Contacts > Options > Settings > First Name First. But my contact lists are still not sorted in 'FirstName LastName'. Maybe it works only for 'Subscribed Contacts' lists (I think it has something to do with Push-to-Talk user list) :frown:

Make sure you're viewing the individual contacts list when going to Optione -> etc.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
21-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Make sure you're viewing the individual contacts list when going to Optione -> etc.

I was at the individual Contacts list and selecting Option has neither Settings nor First Name First

Unreg
21-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I was at the individual Contacts list and selecting Option has neither Settings nor First Name First

Did you scroll down? There are quite many options to choose from.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
21-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Did you scroll down? There are quite many options to choose from.

Yup, I scrolled all the way down but it's no where to be found. Do you have this in your Nokia 6260? What's the latest firmware for Nokia 6260? Mine is 3.0436.5ch 29-09-04

DaViD_BRaNDoN
21-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I heard SeleQ is the best file manager for Series 60 and I went to it's official site at www.ximplify.com but I found two version of it - SeleQ for Nokia 3650 and SeleQ for 7650. Which one is compatible with Nokia 6260?

How does FExplorer compare to SeleQ? Thanks for the input

dansansome
22-12-2004, 09:12 AM
i use v1.65i on my 6260 with no problems. it used to work fine on my 6600 too.

not sure what it was intended to run on originally, but i would guess the 3650.

Kyuro
22-12-2004, 12:18 PM
i would expect the 3650 version to be more compatible, as that will support memory cards, the 7650 doesn't have a MMC slot of any kind so i assume it is not supported by selecQ.

to be honest though i've never used it, i always used fexplorer.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
22-12-2004, 04:37 PM
i would expect the 3650 version to be more compatible, as that will support memory cards, the 7650 doesn't have a MMC slot of any kind so i assume it is not supported by selecQ.

to be honest though i've never used it, i always used fexplorer.

Yea, that's what I thought too and so I installed SeleQ for Nokia 3650 in my Nokia 6260. Then the next day I switched to FExplorer. Reason being FExplorer has much smaller size (67KB) than SeleQ (195KB) and both of them has almost exact features (minus the 'file marking' and 'auto-keyguard' <-- don't need it anyway).

I heard reviews that Nokia 6260 video recording is restricted to 10 secs but I tried the recording (built-in app, not 3rd party app) and I could go on more than 10 secs (almost 1 min actually and I could go on futher but I stop the recording though). Am I missing something here?

dansansome
22-12-2004, 07:47 PM
i let my video recorder go on for over 7 minutes, i figured this would be as long as i would ever need.

funny tho, when i had my 6600 that would only do 10 seconds i wanted longer, and installed camcoder pro which was brilliant (limited only by free memory space)

now i have my 6260 and seemingly unlimited recording, i wish there was an option to record mms sized vids (like teh SE P900 has), cos stopping around the 10 second mark always seems to make the vid file too big to send. doh.

also, with seleq, i never got the auto keyguard to work on my 6600, but never switched to fexplorer. i guess if it aint broke, dont fix it.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
24-12-2004, 08:58 AM
i let my video recorder go on for over 7 minutes, i figured this would be as long as i would ever need.

funny tho, when i had my 6600 that would only do 10 seconds i wanted longer, and installed camcoder pro which was brilliant (limited only by free memory space)

now i have my 6260 and seemingly unlimited recording, i wish there was an option to record mms sized vids (like teh SE P900 has), cos stopping around the 10 second mark always seems to make the vid file too big to send. doh.

also, with seleq, i never got the auto keyguard to work on my 6600, but never switched to fexplorer. i guess if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Nice... Glad that Nokia 6260 has no video recording time restrictions and this also means saving memory cos no need to install any 3rd party apps. I'm loving it :D

DaViD_BRaNDoN
25-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Anyone knows what these folders (and the files in it) are for and if it's safe to delete:

E:\System\libs (668.7KB)
E:\System\recogs (6KB)

TANKERx
25-12-2004, 05:05 PM
DON'T

Some of the installed application on your phone will stop working and if any of those applications are plugged into your system in any way, you could find yourself in a spot of bother.

Probably best to leave them there.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
27-12-2004, 05:56 AM
DON'T

Some of the installed application on your phone will stop working and if any of those applications are plugged into your system in any way, you could find yourself in a spot of bother.

Probably best to leave them there.

@TANKERx: Thanks for the advice.

I notice that the Nokia 6260's LED only emits white color. Will it emit other colors (if so, on what event)?

And also I notice the LED only works when there's incoming call (blinking) and charging (continuously). Is there any other event that will trigger the LED?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
28-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Is there any software that can manipulate the LED to blink on SMS or missed calls?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
I'd just installed SMSReminder and it works as advertized. Is there any software that reminds you when have a missed calls (much like SMSReminder)?

happyspinach
03-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Can't find the option "settings" under Contacts, would it be possible that it is a glitch on my cellphone? Please advise.

happyspinach
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey all,
I noticed that on occasion my n6260 will pop up a msg which says "MMS reception off. Reception must be always on to receive msgs while roaming".
Can anyone tell me what it means and where I can fix the settings?
thanks in advance. :con?

fara.amir
12-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Yup, I scrolled all the way down but it's no where to be found. Do you have this in your Nokia 6260? What's the latest firmware for Nokia 6260? Mine is 3.0436.5ch 29-09-04
i scrolled everywhere too, to try and find the contacts > options > settings > first name first option. to no avail? does this have anything to do with the version of the firmware?

have scoured and read from front to back of the user guide - still couldn't locate the settings option

dansansome
12-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey all,
I noticed that on occasion my n6260 will pop up a msg which says "MMS reception off. Reception must be always on to receive msgs while roaming".

hmm, sounds like your phone switches providers as you move around. eg im in the uk, and if i go abroad, i notice that when i go to different areas, i get different operator names appear as the oplogo, even though im on vodafone.

to fix this, go into messaging and hit options -> settings -> multimedia message and change multimedia reception from "only in home network" to always on.

this should stop your error message.

dan.

chirisu
13-01-2005, 03:09 AM

how come caller group not working for certain contact? even though i keep adding them to a specific group, its showed they are in the group, but the ringtone not working...??? sweat.....

DaViD_BRaNDoN
13-01-2005, 09:33 AM
how come caller group not working for certain contact? even though i keep adding them to a specific group, its showed they are in the group, but the ringtone not working...??? sweat.....

If you'd assigned custom ringtone for a specific group and then you added in new contacts (and assigned a certain group to it), then you have to re-assigned the custom ringtone again to that specific group. Newly-created (or group-assignment) will not automatically have a custom ringtone. It has to be manually done again to refresh the entire group list

DaViD_BRaNDoN
13-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey all,

Messaging > Options > Settings > Multimedia Message > Multimedia Reception > Off. Any other settings will evoke "MMS reception off. Reception must be always on to receive msgs while roaming" error message and also if you do not have active MMS service.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
13-01-2005, 09:43 AM
i scrolled everywhere too, to try and find the contacts > options > settings > first name first option. to no avail? does this have anything to do with the version of the firmware?

have scoured and read from front to back of the user guide - still couldn't locate the settings option

You can only find this setting in 'Subscribed Contacts' list - Contacts > Subcribed Contacts > Options > Settings > First Name First. And it's for Push-to-Talk-over-Cellular services.

There's no way to sort Contacts with First Last name method. What I do is key in both first and last name into the First name section.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
17-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Has anyone use PhotoRite SP 5.1.7 on Nokia 6260 before? Any comments?

DaViD_BRaNDoN
21-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Nokia 6260 RM-25

Changes/improvements made from MCU SW version 3.0436.0 to version 3.0448.0:

Call and network management
- An improvement has been made to ensure successful call in PSTN originated MT terminated calls when the PSTN network uses SNS (Single Numbering Scheme) in the SETUP message

Browser
- JavaScript is included in order to improve browsing

Applications
- Video streaming is resumed after handling call/sms/mms call
- QuickPoint is able to open PPT file
- "Send as" menu item removed in QuickPoint/QuickWord

Languages
- File name and file extension management in File Manager improved in Hebrew language
- Search for voice mailbox numbers improved
- USB connection when using PC Suite has improved
- Ringing tone is played softly when volume is set to maximum and when vibrating alert is set on
- Improved playback of MP3 file and long AMR clip
- Audio level in stereo headset has been increased
- Picture saving in Full VGA quality possible in Camcorder application
- Nokia Content Copier is able to transfer both user files and settings
- Editing text string in wap browser is possible when using Wireless keyboard
- Backup to MMC card and restore from MMC improved
- Support for .ra and .rv file extensions in RealOnePlayer
- Improvements made to texts used in Push to Talk applications
- Operator name list updated

Source: Mobile-Review (http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/showpost.php?p=162113&postcount=25)

"Picture saving in Full VGA quality possible in Camcorder application" <-- Does that mean we can finally take 640x480 (VGA) pictures in camera mode?

harshad
22-01-2005, 11:15 AM
How do I upgrade to the new firmware?
Can I do it on my pc itself using some software?

dansansome
22-01-2005, 03:03 PM
no, you cant, you need some fairly expensive kit to do it, so its probably best to take it to a nokia service centre to get it done.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
23-01-2005, 08:46 AM
And it's also illegal to obtain/use the Nokia 6260 firmware yourself. It's best to send it to official Nokia service centers for firmware upgrades

nokya
23-01-2005, 02:59 PM
will a 6260 firmware upgrade wipe out the phone memory (e.g contacts etc) as i remember when i had the firmware of my 8310 upgraded all my contacts on the phone were wiped out.

also is there a time from when you first buy the phone that you can get free firmware upgrades or are they free all the time, no matter how old your phone is/will be?

N/A
23-01-2005, 07:11 PM
A firmware upgrade will wipe out everything in the phone's memory, so do a backup or save what you need saved otherwise before.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
25-01-2005, 05:49 AM
also is there a time from when you first buy the phone that you can get free firmware upgrades or are they free all the time, no matter how old your phone is/will be?

Nokia gives free firmware upgrades only if your mobile is still under warranty

DaViD_BRaNDoN
02-02-2005, 09:37 AM
My Nokia 6260's microphone has not working for around 2 weeks already. And I thought it was a network problem that people cannot hear what I say (but I can hear them)! Heck, I can't even do voice recording (using the built-in voice recorder), so confirmed it's the microphone problem. Damn lousy phone... Anyone experience this issue? My phone is only 1 month+ old :(

Will resetting it to factory defaults solve the microphone issue? I came across *#7780#, *#7370# and [green]+[def3]+[*+] codes. Questions, what are the differences between these three codes? Will it wipe out everything or just settings? Any precautions that I should be aware of and also side-effects?

rohitkhannak
02-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Probably is a hardware problem.
I had a problem with my 3650 - the speaker stopped working after a while.
I found out that the ringer was damaged, so i got it fixed.

dhanesh
02-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Probably is a hardware problem.

yeap hardware problem alrite ... but u mite wana give check to any new programs u mite have installed b4 the problem started .. uninstalling them mite solve it the eazy way David ...

Any precautions that I should be aware of and also side-effects?

Well *#7780# does a soft format i.e it keeps the contacts n stuff .. where as *#7370# does the hard format i.e clean system format .. ur phone will be as new as u bought it first .. the last option m not quiet shure bt .. but its the same as *#7370# i guess .. hope m right :rolleyes: ...... ppl ?

nokya
02-02-2005, 10:43 PM
i did the call green button+3+* and it formatted the whole phone as it was when it came from the factory, so it depends if you wanna get rid of installed app system files etc

DaViD_BRaNDoN
03-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, the only app that I installed is FExplorer, SMSReminder and some themes. Not sure if related to software that I'd installed but I'd uninstalled SMSReminder quite awhile already. Now it's only FExplorer and some themes

blanca19
11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
uhm, can i ask how you guys know what firmware version your phone has? also, is flashing the same thing as upgrading the firmware? sorry, i'm new and not as familiar with the jargon. thanks a lot!

dhanesh
12-02-2005, 09:23 AM
uhm, can i ask how you guys know what firmware version your phone has? also, is flashing the same thing as upgrading the firmware? sorry, i'm new and not as familiar with the jargon. thanks a lot!

*#06# .. gives u the current firmware for ur phone .. google up a search for ur firmware version and u will have many results on the latest firmware ...

Yes Flashing means Upgrading ur firmare or keeping the same firmware .... formatting is different from flashing the phone .. flashing upgrades the files in ur phone ROM with the latest files .. formatting wipes out ur phone memory and copies files from the ROm to the phone memory .. hope that helped :)

DaViD_BRaNDoN
12-02-2005, 10:26 AM
*#06# .. gives u the current firmware for ur phone
*#06# gives IMEI (serial number)
*#0000# gives firmware version

dhanesh
12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
*#06# gives IMEI (serial number)
*#0000# gives firmware version

OUCH ! :redface: Sowiee ... hehe .. got confused with the code ... c'mon i got a lil brain ... how many numbers do i keep inside .. lol

DaViD_BRaNDoN
15-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Will be sending my Nokia 6260 for warranty repair tomorrow - microphone and speaker problems, auto-restart problem and also poor built quality. Hopefully they'll upgrade my firmware

Stachu
11-05-2005, 03:00 AM
I need some help i just bought my buddies Nokia 6260 and reset it to factory conditions i need a few pointers because he lost the booklet. Whats the default pass word for any security option? My phone keeps telling me that MMS Roaming is OFF, how do i turn it on, how do i connect to internet? it says i need to see "connections" settings but i have no clue what to do. What's VPN?

Thanks to anyone who actually takes the time to answer my newbie questions, yea the internet thing is annoying, what are the basic requirements or configurations to set up the internet browsing?

Thanks Again :rolleyes:

sedated
14-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I need some help i just bought my buddies Nokia 6260 and reset it to factory conditions i need a few pointers because he lost the booklet.

The manual is available for download as a PDF on Nokia's site: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,60827,00.html
Some other useful stuff for the phone on that page as well.