View Full Version : AAC Ringtone Problem

fluid78
14-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi there

I have a UK Vodafone version of the 6630 and I'm having problems setting music files as ringtones. I've read that it's not possible to set mp3's but should be possible with aac files. However, when I try using an aac file I get the message "Unable to set as tone. File format not supported." Does anyone know a way round this?

Thanks in advance.

Jay3gsm
14-12-2004, 07:49 AM
I have changed some MP3 files using i-tunes. Right click on the file, and select 'convert to aac'. I then put this new file onto my memory card, and very easily chose 'set as ring tone' from the available options in the phone menu. I too have a Nokia 6630 on Vodafone UK.

What did you use to convert your MP3 files to aac?

fluid78
14-12-2004, 09:11 AM
I have tried using iTunes as well as DB Power AMP, but both have failed. When I use iTunes the converted file seems to have an m4u extention rather than aac. Either way I haven't been able to get it to work. Perhaps my encoding settings are wrong? I have tried transferring the file directly to my phone as well as through the Nokia PC Suite software...

I have changed some MP3 files using i-tunes. Right click on the file, and select 'convert to aac'. I then put this new file onto my memory card, and very easily chose 'set as ring tone' from the available options in the phone menu. I too have a Nokia 6630 on Vodafone UK.

scim
14-12-2004, 10:18 AM

I also tried many different settings, but I haven't tried converting with i-tunes yet. I tried dbPowerAmp (2 differenct aac codecs) but none of the settings i tried worked.
Now i've used nokia multimedia convertor, it works (not aac) but the audioquality is just too bad.

AEFOX
14-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi!...

i canīt believe that 6630 donīt have Mp3 like ringtone option...

7610 have it... and work ...

Are you sure that you all tested that right?

where you read that is not possible?

thanks!

:cool:

N/A
14-12-2004, 12:59 PM
i canīt believe that 6630 donīt have Mp3 like ringtone option...I use an MP3 as a ringtone on my 6630 and it works just fine.

AEFOX
14-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Good!..

so.. this people up there just donīt tested the MP3 ringtones in a right way...

Like you can read on GSMArena.com 7610 and 6630 has the same Ringtones feactures specs...

thanks!

Unregistered1
14-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I have a 6630 vodafone branded and I also can not set mp3 as ringtone. I found a way to deal with this problem. I cut a mp3 into a piece from about 30 seconds, then I saved it as a small mp3 and converted to a wav. file. Then I transported it to my phone and I can set them as ringtone.

Jay3gsm
14-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Problem with .wav files is they tend to be large. I can't understand why others are having problems, I've put this work aorund up on another forum and it worked for the users there.

The extension on the file after converting it to aac was MPEG4. I out it direct onto my memory card, inserting the card into my card reader on the PC. Played it in the recorder, went to options and saved it as a ringtone. Checked my profiles and the ringtone was there, activated as the ringtone for the current active profile.

N/A
14-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Maybe some operators have versions where MP3 ringtones have been disabled on purpose?

Jay3gsm
14-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Of which Vodafone UK is one.

AEFOX
14-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi!..

yes that is the only answer...

Some devices out there are semi-blocked... some functions like mp3 ringtones...

May be to keep selling polyphonic (mid) ringtones for a while ... on their operators web portals... becuase of course the mp3 ringtone itīs much better...

cya!

Fidelko
14-12-2004, 06:45 PM
maybe its caused by Vodafone... because i use mp3 ringtones with no problem /more than a 4 minute song... less than 5MB and in 196 bitrate :D/ aac is working correctly too ;)

fluid78
15-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi there. Thanks for all the advice. I re-tried using iTunes to convert my MP3s to AAC and I'm pleased to say it finally worked. I converted them at the 128 bit rate and simply bluetoothed the resulting music file to my phone and was this time able to set the files as ringtones. Not quite sure what happened last time but I do think this phone is quite buggy. Having said that, I think it's a great phone overall and I'm kindda glad to be getting around the Vodafone limitations.

neatheyc
18-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Vodafone have spoilt this phone with their stupid restrictions. They say they have restricted the .mp3 files as ringtones because its copyright reasons, and yet you can still play the .mp3 files on your phone, so thats just bollox.

I use Itunes to convert to aac files and it works fine. The extention they're converted to is .m4a

fannypad
18-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Init, vodafone are taking the piss with this phone.

Anyway, another solution (and a better one in my eyes) is to use the latest version of OggPlay which supports setting Ogg Vorbis files as ringtones. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86146&package_id=124176&release_id=277161

It's also an excellent free MP3/AAC/Ogg Vorbis player which outputs in 44.1KHz STEREO on the 6630.

Since the 6630 comes with a pitiful 64MB card (or 32MB if you're unlucky to have a vodafone one), I convert my MP3s into 64kbit/s Ogg files and play them with OggPlay. The quality is identical to 128kbit/s MP3s, at obviously half the size. I can fit more than two hours of good quality tunes on the phone.

neatheyc
19-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I convert my MP3s into 64kbit/s Ogg files and play them with OggPlay. The quality is identical to 128kbit/s MP3s, at obviously half the size. I can fit more than two hours of good quality tunes on the phone.

What do you use to convert the mp3 to ogg files?

Fidelko
19-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Init, vodafone are taking the piss with this phone.

Anyway, another solution (and a better one in my eyes) is to use the latest version of OggPlay which supports setting Ogg Vorbis files as ringtones. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86146&package_id=124176&release_id=277161

It's also an excellent free MP3/AAC/Ogg Vorbis player which outputs in 44.1KHz STEREO on the 6630.

Since the 6630 comes with a pitiful 64MB card (or 32MB if you're unlucky to have a vodafone one), I convert my MP3s into 64kbit/s Ogg files and play them with OggPlay. The quality is identical to 128kbit/s MP3s, at obviously half the size. I can fit more than two hours of good quality tunes on the phone.

great idea ! :D

fannypad
19-01-2005, 12:54 PM
What do you use to convert the mp3 to ogg files?

dBpowerAmp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm along with the Ogg codec plugin from the codec page on the same site ;)

Nice, fast and free. Lovely.

neatheyc
19-01-2005, 04:10 PM
dBpowerAmp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm along with the Ogg codec plugin from the codec page on the same site ;)

Nice, fast and free. Lovely.

Nice one. Thanks a lot!

jonvision
19-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Thank you for that tip :D

Worked nicely.

fannypad
19-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Maybe a candidate for a sticky?

If any of the mods want to make it a sticky to save any more "mp3s ringtones don't work on my vodafone 6630", let me know and I'll write a proper guide with links to all software.

Robster
27-01-2005, 12:17 PM
If any of you, like myself brought the Vodafone flavour of the phone and wish to use your own music as ringtones, there are two easy ways to get around Vodafone's lock downs.

1 - Use MP4 files - Use Real player to convert your CDs to MP4 and put them in the Sounds/digital folder and then assign them in the profiles.

2 - Use i-Tunes to convert your mp3's etc to aac format. Once converted through i-Tunes it gives an m4a extention to them and then just copy to Sounds/digital folder and again assign as ringtone in the usual way.

This files are still seen by the media players and are treated as any other audio files by the phone but get around Vodafone's software.