View Full Version : dont buy nokia 6630 on vodafone !!!!!

viper76
06-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi

i have bought mine yasterday from vodafone store on contract but there is a big problem with the phone i have tried to install some applications but it would not let me install anything a massage always comes up saying ( installation security error unable to install ) that is beacuse the phone is locked to vodafone.

vodafone using a nokia vodafone pack software which i think disabling all the phone advantages as a amartphone

if this is normal with a nokia noika software please tell us

Fidelko
06-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi

i have bought mine yasterday from vodafone store on contract but there is a big problem with the phone i have tried to install some applications but it would not let me install anything a massage always comes up saying ( installation security error unable to install ) that is beacuse the phone is locked to vodafone.

vodafone using a nokia vodafone pack software which i think disabling all the phone advantages as a amartphone

if this is normal with a nokia noika software please tell us

i have bought mine three weeks ago Unlocked/SIM free/,and there are no problems like that,i can install anything :D

celios
06-12-2004, 10:55 AM
If you can't install additional software on it, it does remove the major advantage of a smartphone...! Do you get the same message when trying to install to the phone and the MMC card?

How is the branding? I am sure there will be a nasty looking red vodafone theme, but can you switch this off entirely, or is it like the T610 where they have changed the icons and you can never quite remove the 'live!" branding unless you get it flashed?

richieg
06-12-2004, 11:09 AM
I was trying to do this last night and had the same problem, it kept telling me that it could not read info on the phone. I bought the phone from vodafone in ireland.
I unintstalled the nokia PC suite and downloaded the version that is on the website along with the driver for the cable. Re-installed these and now works fine, can even send files via bluetooth, they appear as a message and you simply install it from the message, easy as 123.
Hope this helps.

viper76
06-12-2004, 11:22 AM
If you can't install additional software on it, it does remove the major advantage of a smartphone...! Do you get the same message when trying to install to the phone and the MMC card?

How is the branding? I am sure there will be a nasty looking red vodafone theme, but can you switch this off entirely, or is it like the T610 where they have changed the icons and you can never quite remove the 'live!" branding unless you get it flashed?

i get this message as soon as i try to install the app before it gives me the options where to install it on the phone or the mmc
-yes there is a red vodafone theme but you can change them

viper76
06-12-2004, 11:24 AM
I was trying to do this last night and had the same problem, it kept telling me that it could not read info on the phone. I bought the phone from vodafone in ireland.
I unintstalled the nokia PC suite and downloaded the version that is on the website along with the driver for the cable. Re-installed these and now works fine, can even send files via bluetooth, they appear as a message and you simply install it from the message, easy as 123.
Hope this helps.
i hav tried to ues to pc suite but didnt help the same massage still comes up

clive6630
06-12-2004, 11:25 AM
I have a generic 6630 and have had no problems, on the other hand my wife has just bought a "vodafone" 6630 and she has the same problem. To get round it, go to the install manager where all your installed apps are shown, go to options, settings, change "software installation" from off to on. Problem solved. Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation. The best thing to do in this case is convert it to an awb or aac file which works ok. Also, you will notice that voda only supplies a 32Mg card with their phones, even though it stipulates on the web site that it should be a 64Mg, we complained again and they swapped it there and then. Conclusion: Dont get a voda one, buy generic, i cant comment on other network operators as they are not out on any others as yet, Hope this helps...

viper76
06-12-2004, 11:54 AM
I have a generic 6630 and have had no problems, on the other hand my wife has just bought a "vodafone" 6630 and she has the same problem. To get round it, go to the install manager where all your installed apps are shown, go to options, settings, change "software installation" from off to on. Problem solved. Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation. The best thing to do in this case is convert it to an awb or aac file which works ok. Also, you will notice that voda only supplies a 32Mg card with their phones, even though it stipulates on the web site that it should be a 64Mg, we complained again and they swapped it there and then. Conclusion: Dont get a voda one, buy generic, i cant comment on other network operators as they are not out on any others as yet, Hope this helps...

thank you for your help i was about to take it back the vodafone shop

Mudskipper
06-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation.

Yes it's true, it's because they want you to use Vodafone Live to buy ringtones.

The_Fellowship
06-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Is it likely to be the same on Orange's Nokia 6630? (if/when it gets released)

Also, where in the UK can the 6630 be bought sim-free/unlocked?

Thanks

clive6630
06-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I bought mine from www.livetelecoms.com but i am not sure if they have any in stock now, best to ring them first. They should start to become fairly available soon, the carphone warehouse will sell them simfree at around 400 pounds.

The_Fellowship
06-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks Clive6630. Just gave them a quick call...out of stock :frown: Will wait till they get some more in or Carphone Warehouse do

Looks like a really good Series 60 device tho!

Cheers
:)

daywalker
06-12-2004, 08:39 PM
thanks guys, was goging to get one with vodafone but will get a generic sim free now to avoid problems :)

Gav
06-12-2004, 09:08 PM
I got a 6630 today from Vodafone. It seems they have set the OS security settings higher. As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions at all, you just need to adjust the app install settings as described above. You can also select the default Nokia profile as well, removing leaving no vodafone branding what so ever.

Phone is great ;)

scim
06-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Well i'm getting mine this week in Holland.
I only hope that it allows mp3 ringtones in some way and that it has the 64mb rs-mmc card instead of a 32 mb (if i get a 32 mb i'm going to be pissed and demand a change :D).
And if you hate the nokia software just go to a nokia point when new firmware/software is released, you should be able to get a free upgrade in your warranty period.

Sickboy
07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Well i'm getting mine this week in Holland.
I only hope that it allows mp3 ringtones in some way and that it has the 64mb rs-mmc card instead of a 32 mb (if i get a 32 mb i'm going to be pissed and demand a change :D).
And if you hate the nokia software just go to a nokia point when new firmware/software is released, you should be able to get a free upgrade in your warranty period.

Please let me know Tweaker ;)

The_Fellowship
07-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Are there any other differences between an un-branded Nokia 6630 and the Vodafone version?

Or is it just that you can't use MP3's as ringtones?

Thanks

Alfama
07-12-2004, 06:13 PM
This phone is just 100 with anytime 200 monthly plan in Vodafone.(might be even cheaper with other monthly plan) How much is the unbrand/sim-free 6630? Let say 400. Do you want to pay extra 300 to use mp3 ringtones when you can convert mp3 files to aac files and it works fine?Do want to pay extra 300 for the 64MB RS-MMC? Vodafone6630 comes with a 32MB RS-MMC. How many 64MB RS-MMC you can buy with 300?

You pay 100 for the phone and you get the video call stand PT-8 for free as well.

If you don't like the Vodafone Live! thing, you can change the theme and customise it. The thing that can't be changed is the Vodafone logo underneath the screen, on the button and at the back. Of course, it only takes Vodafone sim.

The_Fellowship
07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi Alfama,

I agree completely. I just wanted to know if there were any major differences, thats all.

I'd rather get the phone very cheap on contract as apposed to paying a large amount for unlocked. I know the costs even themselves out over the length of the contract, but at least you get inclusive mins you can use. I'm sure the phone can be un-locked too, if required.

Cheers

Alfama
07-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi, The_Fellowship,

As far as I notice.......not much differences really, execpt the mp3 ringtone thing.
I think it looks like unbrand/sim-free as long as you change the theme to Nokia and customise it a little bit.....

I only have Vodafone and Nokia theme. I am not sure if you can install new theme or you can only download them from Vodafone since I haven't tried that. I am quite happy with the Nokia theme. Has anyone tried to install new theme here?

It's a good deal really. I don't like Vodafone because of that Live! thing, the theme, especially the 2D red and white icons in the menu, and they lock the phone, but not this time. 100 for this phone + video call stand !!!!

richieg
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
So much for mine vodafone phone working without issue. I tried adding more today and I was back to square 1. I tried the method mentioned above and it did nothing to help but I did figure out a way.
You need to be using bluetooth and simply go to the file and right click and send to bluetooth device bypassing nokia pc suite.
Does anyone know where these programs are stored and whether they can be accessed thru explorer on the pc?

DubWireless
08-12-2004, 03:13 AM
when you send items over BT to the phone they sit in your Inbox, waiting to be installed/saved/etc. (depending on the type of item received) e.g.

http://deviceadvice.info/phone/nokia/6630/images/nokia_6630_incoming_messages_apps_devices.ie.jpg

for programs, once installed you can manage them using the Application Manager (in Tools)

richieg
08-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Can't you delete the message in your inbox once you have installed the program and manage it thru tool/manager from there on in?

DubWireless
08-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Can't you delete the message in your inbox once you have installed the program and manage it thru tool/manager from there on in?

you can indeed

The_Fellowship
08-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi Alfama,

Where did you get your 6630 from?

Do you get the free video stand if you order from the UK Vodafone online store?

Thanks

Gansta
08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Still waiting for that RS-MMC so won't know if the Tomtom mobile works yet....

Was wondering about the Vodafone pack that people are buying inc myself....

Yes nokia states that your suppose to get a 64MB card instead of the 32MB (gonn sort mines out soon!), but when I brought mine phone I got the Video messaging craddle with my kit.... Did some research and Nokia states that your suppose to buy that seperately?

So I got a 32MB RS-MMC card but gained a 50 piece of kit. Not sure if I'd use it for video messaging yet but is good as a desktop charger and looks cool on my desk at the office!

Can people verify what they get when they buy the vodafone kit plz?

Also this 3G vodafone live stuff, acnyone tried it yet cos I briefly tested it and it appears that there jack s**t on there to download I know the ring tunes section is not working cos it came up saying that its not available at present? Or can that just be a bad reception though I get full bars on the 3G network...

Once I get the 512MB MMC card can test a shed load of software since I have ton loads for the nokia 6600, assuming that they work on the 6630 now...

Overall impressed with the features with this phone and will test the pics and video capture once I get my MMC card.

Alfama
08-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi, The_Fellowship,
I got my 6630 kit from a high street vodafone store, not online store.
Nokia 6630 kit from vodafone included, obviously, a nokia 6630(it's made in Finland), a battery(BL-5C), a battery charger, an USB cable, stereo headset for handsfree(HDS-3),
nokia 32MB RS-MMC(with RS-MMC adapter), nokia pc suit and nokia video call stand PT-8. PT-8 is for 3G video call. You are able to send and receive
vedio message just by using 6630 on its own.

SPEEDMAN
08-12-2004, 07:16 PM
price ?

Alfama
08-12-2004, 07:30 PM
100 at anytime 200

coolice
08-12-2004, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Gansta]
Once I get the 512MB MMC card can test a shed load of software since I have ton loads for the nokia 6600, assuming that they work on the 6630 now...
QUOTE]

Hey,

Have you found a place to buy Dual Voltage RS MMC's that are 512mb?

Remember not to buy a normal RS MMC with a 3 volt operating voltage as the 6630 use's new Dual Voltage ones.
Im yet to see any to buy from third party companys.

Ian

p51
08-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Oh poo.....

I have ordered a "normal" 256mb rsmmc from ebauyer, should be here friday.

will let you know if it works.

coolice
09-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh poo.....

I have ordered a "normal" 256mb rsmmc from ebauyer, should be here friday.

will let you know if it works.

Hey,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate.

I myself brought a 512mb KingMax rs mmc to use in my 6600 untill I got my 6630, thinking I could use it in that. But from what I've read they won't.

Ian

Gansta
09-12-2004, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Gansta]
QUOTE]

Hey,

Have you found a place to buy Dual Voltage RS MMC's that are 512mb?

Remember not to buy a normal RS MMC with a 3 volt operating voltage as the 6630 use's new Dual Voltage ones.
Im yet to see any to buy from third party companys.

Ian

Yup I know its got to be dual voltage and the supplier I spoke to tested this card in a 6630 and said it worked.... just waiting to recieve it if it does work will post full details of where to get them.

Gansta
09-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate.

I myself brought a 512mb KingMax rs mmc to use in my 6600 untill I got my 6630, thinking I could use it in that. But from what I've read they won't.

Ian

None of the ebuyer card will work cos none of them are dula voltage, rang them up already!! Like you brought a Kingmax RS card for 6600 and thought I'd use that for the 6630... Bloody thing didn't work nor did my ATP one either....

Gansta
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Just an update guys....

Dem a**holes at vodafone are updating the website and datasheets etc.. to say that vodafone are only supplying 32MB cards!!!

Rang Nokia and Vodafone to find out what the hell is going on Nokia says its 64MB standard!!

Vodafone headoffice says they are now only supplying 32MB cards...

Every where else is doing it with 64MB did a couple of searches in the UK for retailers and all except vodafone do the 64MB card.

Having said that not everyone is selling the phone with the videostand (50 value)either so it depends on what you want. To be perfectly honest 64MB card ain't much either as you (well I can't) do jackS**t with it so I'm happy with the stand and 32MB card and just wait around for a bigger RS-MMC card!

p51
10-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Gutted, the 256mb Kingmax cardcard has come this morning. It read perfectly in my laptop - showing as formated as FAT.
The 6630 does not acknowledge the card is even in the phone......:(

p51
10-12-2004, 09:07 AM
However, I have just tried it in my N-GAGE and it works perfectly! At least I dont have to return it! I can have a card full of films now!

The_Fellowship
10-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi,

Another quick question relating to the Nokia 6630 supplied by Vodafone...

In the manual it says to get to the File Manager app, go to the "Extras" folder...

Just checked on my phone and there is no "Extras" folder there! Has anyone else noticed this on their Vodafonr Nokia 6630, or is it just me?

Thanks

The_Fellowship
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Just found out the "Extras" folder has been re-named to "Organiser"...has the File Manager etc. in there :)

copo
10-12-2004, 07:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with 6630 on Vodafone. i have one and i can install software.
http://img79.exs.cx/img79/1654/fescr04pr.jpg

Symby
12-12-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi, I bought my 6630 from vodaone.
Does anyone know how to change the colour of the theme?
I changed the theme to Nokia, the colour palatte is blue. I don't really like that, but nothing happened after I changed it to grey.
Does anyone know how it works?
Thanks

viper76
12-12-2004, 06:41 AM
I changed the theme to Nokia, the colour palatte is blue. I don't really like that, but nothing happened after I changed it to grey.
Thanks
well you can install themes to the phone just search on net for nokia 6630n or 6600

Majin
15-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Hey Guys,

I have just brought a Nokia 6630, I think I will wait for a 1gb rsMMC card. anyhow the point of this post is to say that I too only got a 32mb rsMMC with my Vodafone 6630 however I got the anytime 200 contract like someothers but I also managed to talk them into giving me 100 texts with it, they gave me the handset free and the call stand too and I also get 3 months free insurance as well as double minutes and double texts for 3 months.

as far as I am concerned thats better than a 64mb rsMMC

Jay3gsm
15-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symby
Thanks
well you can install themes to the phone just search on net for nokia 6630n or 6600

I've found the themes con't be edited too.

I don't like either the full screen Nokai theme, or the standard Vodafone theme, I don't like coloured bars across the option title.

I really want the standard default theme you get in the 6600, so I can have just a plain white background, upon which I can apply the wallpaper of my choice.

If anyone knows where I can get the default theme from I'd be pleased to know. I've looked in the usual places without any joy.

paulrichards007
18-12-2004, 01:22 AM
ok so you want to install. here is what to do !!!

GO TO YOUR MUNU. OPEN

GO TO TOOLS. OPEN

GO TO MANAGER OPEN

GO TO OPTIONS (LEFT KEY). OPEN

SELECT OPTIONS

SELECT SETTINGS OPEN

SOFTWARE INSTALLATION CHANGE FROM OFF TO ON.

there you go all fixed.
let me know if this fixed it
paulrichards007@hotmail.com

oh also for those of you asking about RS MMC cards.

NORMAL RS MMC CARDS DONT WORK.

THE REASON IS.
THIS PHONE NOW WORKS ON THE NEW DUAL VOLTAGE RS MMC CARDS
CALLED DV RS MMC CARDS.
YOU GET A 32MB WITH THE PHONE. YOU CAN ONLY GET A 64MB UPGRADE FROM NOKIA. RING DEXTRAK 0800-0688110 (NOKIA GAVE ME THIS TEL NO) TRUST ME ITS THE ONLY SUPPLY !!!!!!
GOOD NEWS THOUGH. SAMSUNG ARE REALISING 64, 128, 512 MB BUT TRUST ME IVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE ON THE INTERNET AND NO ONE HAS THEM YET.

however if anyone knows where you can get them. then please e-mail me

Regards
Paul

zerone
19-12-2004, 03:50 AM
You can also select the default Nokia profile as well, removing leaving no vodafone branding what so ever.

Phone is great ;)

How can i make 6630 turn into a "nokia" profile based? (sorry for my english ;))

Martjah
24-12-2004, 09:35 PM
How can i make 6630 turn into a "nokia" profile based? (sorry for my english ;))

i got a question, i got the vodafone version as well.. and i cant have a mp3 ringtone. now i have read you can do it with a unbranded nokia 6630.

cant anyone make a complete backup from a unbranded 6630
or doesnt that work?

greetz and thnx.

Martjah

Unplugged
27-12-2004, 03:29 AM
The reasoning behind the not being able to edit the theme is that it was actually a bottleneck on the 6600.

The phone was having to load in one graphic archive to get the theme and then another one to grab the icons. Its s shame rearlly I liked my mix and match :(

You will need 1.8v "MobileMMC" cards to use in the 6630 wont be about Feb until we see anything bigger than Nokias 64meg card over here possibly March there are a few people developing them Kingmax being one and Samsung another I beleave.

silverone
28-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone, I bought Vodafone 702NK or Nokia 6630
Well its same like everyone, Vodafone Japan did samething and Im getting same error.
Which I install all themes in memory card and it kind igorning. Because everytime I remove the card it reset to Nokia theme :mad:
If I know this from bigning I did
not buy from Vodafone, instead from Noika Japan.

Jay3gsm
28-12-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone, I bought Vodafone 702NK or Nokia 6630
Well its same like everyone, Vodafone Japan did samething and Im getting same error.
Which I install all themes in memory card and it kind igorning. Because everytime I remove the card it reset to Nokia theme :mad:
If I know this from bigning I did
not buy from Vodafone, instead from Noika Japan.

Try saving the theme to the phone memory instead. There is a copy option in the settings. Then when you remove the card, it won't reset.

doobez
28-12-2004, 03:39 PM

could u tell me which site?

Jj03
04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Just an update guys....

Dem a**holes at vodafone are updating the website and datasheets etc.. to say that vodafone are only supplying 32MB cards!!!

Rang Nokia and Vodafone to find out what the hell is going on Nokia says its 64MB standard!!

Vodafone headoffice says they are now only supplying 32MB cards...

Every where else is doing it with 64MB did a couple of searches in the UK for retailers and all except vodafone do the 64MB card.

hi guys, i work for carphone warehouse in bolton, and we have just started to get the handsets in...next store to us is vodafone, and i have been in and talked to the store manager and asked him wtf is going on with their voda branded 6630...he's embarrassed about the situation...they had a stock of 15 a few weeks back, and although they were all sold within the week, 13 of them have been returned...because of the following issues...the dual volt rs mmc...and software issues....

ithe amount of requests weve had asking for generic 6630's is unbelieveable...i wouldnt touch voda's effort with a barge pole... also, another reason for buying a generic 6630 is that as none of the networks 3G efforts is upto scratch yet, its a gd option to use your existing standard sim for a while, then buy , say, a particular networks 3G sim, which will be on sale seperatley in the future...

Ratkat
05-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Well the Dual Voltage MMC is hardly Vodafone faults is it, thats down to Nokia

Ok its only got a 32 MB one instead of a 64MB. not the end of the world is it.

The software problems are only due to Software Installation being turned off by default, takes less then 2 minutes to rectify, the only trouble is most people who work in phone shops are not trained and have no idea how the phones work, and so can't give good advice. They just think its broken.

The only thing Vodafone are guilty of is not allowing MP3's to be set as ringtone's

Something I don't care about to be honest, but for those are worried just convert then to aac format.

Vodafone's 3G service works fine, its fast, connects fine. Get some good free content on vodafone live, Movie Trailers, streaming news reports, music downloads etc

Unplugged
05-01-2005, 02:24 AM
The AAC format thing is a Loophole you still have to rename the extension. If you upload an AAC file called file.acc it still wont work you have to rename the extension to mp4 I think. Once they realise this people getting future software will prob find this too has been patched.

And regarding the USIM thing Orange AND vodafone and I think t-Mobile as well allow use of thier 3g service with a standard sim theres no difference in them at all.

Only 3 are currently using the USIM

Funk Doc
05-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Learn to use the phone and you wont have these problems. Xpress on covers = No Vodafone branding!

Jj03
05-01-2005, 10:31 PM
i didn't moan at the dual voltage rs mmc in my post..so, i suggest, you go back and re read it....the fact that the phone "only" comes with a 32mb rs mmc IS vodafones fault...but then, thats typical vodafone...

Ratkat
05-01-2005, 11:13 PM
hi guys, i work for carphone warehouse in bolton, and we have just started to get the handsets in...next store to us is vodafone, and i have been in and talked to the store manager and asked him wtf is going on with their voda branded 6630...he's embarrassed about the situation...they had a stock of 15 a few weeks back, and although they were all sold within the week, 13 of them have been returned...because of the following issues...the dual volt rs mmc...and software issues....

ithe amount of requests weve had asking for generic 6630's is unbelieveable...i wouldnt touch voda's effort with a barge pole... also, another reason for buying a generic 6630 is that as none of the networks 3G efforts is upto scratch yet, its a gd option to use your existing standard sim for a while, then buy , say, a particular networks 3G sim, which will be on sale seperatley in the future...

Sorry I took this comment to mean you were (see highlighted red)

digitalgoldfish
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
This phone is just 100 with anytime 200 monthly plan in Vodafone.(might be even cheaper with other monthly plan) How much is the unbrand/sim-free 6630? Let say 400. Do you want to pay extra 300 to use mp3 ringtones when you can convert mp3 files to aac files and it works fine?Do want to pay extra 300 for the 64MB RS-MMC? Vodafone6630 comes with a 32MB RS-MMC. How many 64MB RS-MMC you can buy with 300?

You pay 100 for the phone and you get the video call stand PT-8 for free as well.

If you don't like the Vodafone Live! thing, you can change the theme and customise it. The thing that can't be changed is the Vodafone logo underneath the screen, on the button and at the back. Of course, it only takes Vodafone sim.

Both my T-mobile hansets allowed me to use MP3s as ringtones, and indeed alarm tones.

Catfang
07-01-2005, 05:17 PM
If you take an unlocked Vodafone 6630 to T-Mobile, can you get them to reflash the bios so that the phone becomes generic?

The_Fellowship
07-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Won't T-Mobile only re-flash T-Mobile phones?

If you have an un-locked Vodafone Nokia 6630...won't T-Mobile flash it with their firmware? i.e. locking it to T-Mobile?

daywalker
07-01-2005, 08:13 PM
If you take an unlocked Vodafone 6630 to T-Mobile, can you get them to reflash the bios so that the phone becomes generic?

I wouldnt think any network ie T-mobile,vodafone etc would reflash any mobile so they became generic maybe a nokia service point could do that? if u unlocked a 6630 & changed the themes to nokia etc thats prob the closest u would get to a generic phone without actually buying one!

fannypad
07-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Just go to a Nokia service point and tell them your phone keeps switching off and behaving like a spastic, and you've been told it's to do with the T-Mobile/Vodafone/whatever firmware.

Worked for me in the past.

samihilal
07-01-2005, 08:24 PM
hi i had the same problem as you, but i was fidling about with the phone and i was then able to install software.
the thing is ; 1) go to tools
2) go to manager
3) left click and go to settings
change the settings to software install on
4) and make sure online certif. cheak is off

any problems just ask

bence8810
16-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Hi

I bought a 6630 (702NK) on Vodafone Japan, and am having the same problem another one of you had before. No matter what I set, (ex: Software Install ON, Certificate OFF, etc) the installer comes back with an error:

Installation Security Error. Unable to Install !

Do you think it is due to Vodafone JAPAN put an even stricter limit on it's firmware toward foreign Software?

Is it possible to flash the phone, or complain at Vodafone Japan? Being a non-Japanese, I dont know how it goes with things like this.

Thanks

p.s. By the way, If I put the RS MMC card in my other Nokia phone (6620) and install the applications on the memory card, then put it back to the 6630 (702NK), the application will work without any problem. The only thing is that I cannot install them directly from the phone.

Bence

niryuu
18-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi.Sorry for my poor english.
Vodafone JP's 6630 is different from other Vodafone's 6630.

The most different thing is known. The firmware is changed to prevent to install apps using manager by Vodafone JP(Firmware version is V 2.39.148 29-11-04 but something is strange). So we can't install apps using manager.

But we can install apps if we extract sis file and put files on the RS-MMC. If you have other series60 devices, it is easy.Install apps to the memory card. If you don't, We can install using tools like Halwin.This problem is discussed on Japanese community.

Seeing the 2G phones, japanese mobile phone market is very strange from other countries. There was no SIM in japan a few years ago. And carriers in japan can decide the specification of devices. So if we complain this problem to Vodafone, it will be disregarded.

bence8810
18-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Hi

Yes you are very right. I had found the same information on a Japanese forum just yesterday. So I have that Halwin program to do the trick, however I am still not 100% satisfied. The only thing concerns me, is that if there will be an unlocking solution, will that remove the Japanese language from the phone? That would be bad. Anyways, in the meantime I can at least install applications. By the way, I did call Vodafone, actually I went to the Mitaka-shi Vodafone shop next to the JR station, and I got a negative answer from them. That was that the phone is so cheap so they put the limitations on it, so that people wont make a business out of it. Buying and selling phones.

Thank anyways, take care

Bence

Hi.Sorry for my poor english.
Vodafone JP's 6630 is different from other Vodafone's 6630.

The most different thing is known. The firmware is changed to prevent to install apps using manager by Vodafone JP(Firmware version is V 2.39.148 29-11-04 but something is strange). So we can't install apps using manager.

But we can install apps if we extract sis file and put files on the RS-MMC. If you have other series60 devices, it is easy.Install apps to the memory card. If you don't, We can install using tools like Halwin.This problem is discussed on Japanese community.

Seeing the 2G phones, japanese mobile phone market is very strange from other countries. There was no SIM in japan a few years ago. And carriers in japan can decide the specification of devices. So if we complain this problem to Vodafone, it will be disregarded.

amrmons
02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
someone found a japanese programm called "HalWin" which makes it possible to install any sis on branded nokia, i tried it with 6630 it works!!
Have a Nice Day