View Full Version : Changing Skins, Side Schemes & Color

Pages : [1] 2 3

Roman
05-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Skins are in Z-Drive, any idea how we can change them ?

eshahwe
05-12-2004, 06:48 PM

We cant make any changes to the Z drive but probably we will have a program soon that can change the themes like Skin Laucher on Nokia 3650. :rolleyes:

paolo9500
05-12-2004, 09:41 PM
FWIW, I installed on the 9500 and tried Colors, from Epocware, but I couldn't manage to change anything - after applying all the changes and rebooting the machine all the original colors remained the same.

If someone could confirm that the app actually works on the 9500 I'd really appreciate it.

Peace

P.

J2theIZZO
05-12-2004, 10:13 PM
What about Dazlers Icon changer?....I remember making an XP theme of sorts with that on the 9210, anyone given that a try?

dragon-tmd
06-12-2004, 12:02 PM
What about Dazlers Icon changer?....I remember making an XP theme of sorts with that on the 9210, anyone given that a try?Gimme the link and I'll test it. :D

SwitchBlade
16-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Confirming that icon changer works on the 9500. For those who want to change them. It's hidden in the downloads on my-symbian IIRC.

SwitchBlade
16-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Right how do I get access to Z drive on the 9500? I think i've found the skinning solution that we need but I need to disect some files that are on the z drive to solve it.

Raven
16-12-2004, 05:39 PM
If there isn't a setting for accessing system drives in file manager, i think you can use the bundled ZIP manager to access the Z drive.

SwitchBlade
16-12-2004, 08:23 PM
I may have found an alternate solution. Cheers for the heads up there Raven, I might try that tomorrow see where that gets me.

J2theIZZO
17-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Series80/2.0 Nokia9500/4.34.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1))

You can set the 9500 as a FTP server and access the Z: drive through the assigned IP from the router, then download the whole drive via WLAN (doesn't take long) Seems to be a lot of mbm's etc at the moment. I'll have a play tommorow.

seanmiguel
22-12-2004, 12:47 AM
could somebody post the icon changer app here, i wouldn't be able to d/l it from IRC

thanks

SwitchBlade
22-12-2004, 12:53 AM
No it's on my-symbian's website.

(IIRC = If I Remember Correctly)

seanmiguel
23-12-2004, 05:53 PM
No it's on my-symbian's website.

(IIRC = If I Remember Correctly)

Thanks, SwithBlade, sorry dumb ass mistake - and more questions.

How do i work the icon-changer, i just install the file and voila!!!???

How do I go about it? Sorry for the bother. Just need your help. Thanks.

SwitchBlade
23-12-2004, 06:13 PM
You need to install the OPL runtime. Then install Icon Manager, and then find some icon packs. Links may be hidden in the 9210 multimedia section for icon packs.

SwitchBlade
23-12-2004, 06:48 PM
WHO IS THE DADDY!

I've changed the skin on the 9500, WOOOOOHAAAAAA! I'm the DADDY!

It's a long and drawn out process, instructions to make your own will appear at some point, it's a bit drawn out though.

WooooooooooHooooooooo!

keaws79
23-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Yeah I already Change theme,skin in my 9500 to,great...

HyPeR
24-12-2004, 04:20 AM
hey guys..dont keep this a secret... Instructions please...

HyPeR
24-12-2004, 07:00 AM
can you guys post some pics. ive got the icon manager loaded on my phone. now am looking for some icon packs.

SwitchBlade
24-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Been discussing it with Ewan. All I've figured out is a basic change so far, we are talking 11 mbm files, one with over 100 picture files in, as well as another file with 26 lines of colour data that needs editing (but before that need to figure out what each colour line is/does). Full instructions will be coming as soon as I figure it all out and get something written.

HyPeR
24-12-2004, 02:58 PM
can u post a link for some icon packs for the icon manager

SwitchBlade
24-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Identifired 20 of over 100 possible colour options, it's slow work, tutorial may come soon (as could colour editing apps ;))

can u post a link for some icon packs for the icon manager
Hopefully you should find Dazlers old ones attached. It won't let me upload mbms, but there are 3 icon packs in z:\system\ICONS

SwitchBlade
24-12-2004, 04:39 PM
http://www.aoud06.dsl.pipex.com/screeny.jpg

For those that were asking about a screeny of a modified skin. Still finding out what colours are what at this stage.

SwitchBlade
25-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Right I'm slowly figuring it out, and am writing a tutorial as I go.

An update as to how far I've gotten as I go to bed tonight.
http://www.aoud06.dsl.pipex.com/matrix.jpg

I did find how to make the desk title text colour go white, and would you believe I've lost it again now... Ah well just to show I'm getting somewhere.

Raven
25-12-2004, 01:36 AM
That's pretty cool. Keep up the good work SwitchBlade!

seanmiguel
28-12-2004, 12:30 AM
hey guys/switchblade, any update on this?

pretty anxious to change my 9500 skin.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

HyPeR
28-12-2004, 03:53 AM
i tried loading MBM's also, it does not recognize it.
anyways was thinking..when you open "WEB" it picks the nokia default site from the Z Drive, can you access another folder in the same way?

HyPeR
28-12-2004, 06:56 AM
now with POWERFILE you can access the Z drive..will study it now.. but u cant write to it..

SwitchBlade
28-12-2004, 10:28 AM
I tried using the old 9210 tricks to access the z: drive but nothing worked. So I downloaded the SDK and installed the emulator and got the files from that. The tutorial is due soon (along with all the files you will need). But there are *still* bits I've got to locate so I can say that the tutorial is even half-finished.

SwitchBlade
28-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Tutorial with the necessary files is in Ewan's hands now, so will arrive when ready. Glaring problems I've been unable to find a solution to so far.

1) I can't find where the text colour for the date on desk is specified, hence if you are using a dark background it becomes invisible.

2) In Messaging, Ctrl Panel, Contacts and possibly a few other apps I have been unable to locate where the white background colour is specified. Again this only makes things look scrappy if you use a dark colourscheme.

seanmiguel
28-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Tutorial with the necessary files is in Ewan's hands now, so will arrive when ready. Glaring problems I've been unable to find a solution to so far.

1) I can't find where the text colour for the date on desk is specified, hence if you are using a dark background it becomes invisible.

2) In Messaging, Ctrl Panel, Contacts and possibly a few other apps I have been unable to locate where the white background colour is specified. Again this only makes things look scrappy if you use a dark colourscheme.

Thanks for all the work, SwitchBlade!

I've put a lock on this thread!

HyPeR
29-12-2004, 07:52 AM
thanks switchblade, excellant work. cant wait for all the new skins etc. u mentioned that there are 3 icon packs in z:\system\ICONS. all i can see are 2 packs. 1. ExtraIcons.mbm(41.21k) 2. FolderIcons.mbm(56.73k)

SwitchBlade
29-12-2004, 09:12 AM
There is a tzones.mbm file on the emulator. I assumed they were some kind of icons too.

HyPeR
30-12-2004, 08:13 AM
was going thru the system folder etc & i cae across an idea... thought i'd flot it around...

in C:\system\data\skinconfig\ there a file called skinpath.txt
currently my skin colour is orange & this file points to
z:\system\skins\0x101F8EDB\orange.skn

1. can we create skn files
2. if u go into the rom folder where the skins are stored each skin pack has 3 files.
i. MmsUiFormDefaultSkin.ske
ii. MsgEditorView.ske
iii. Orange.skn (this depends on the colour of the skin)

can we create a new skin pack & put it into the c or d drive & then change the skinpath.txt to point to our new skin???

is there any windows viewer for skn & ske files. i've transfered them onto my laptop, but cant open them.

SwitchBlade
30-12-2004, 03:13 PM
All covered in the tutorial when it arrives ;)

EDIT: Don't try editing skinpath.txt in your text editor or it will revert to the default skin :)

SwitchBlade
31-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Right ripped shamelessly from my website as an idea of what I've achieved while writing the tutorial. As mentioned before some bits don't work properly with the dark skin, though slight colour adjustments would solve the problems on the most part.

http://www.aoud06.dsl.pipex.com/templab/nok/wallpapers/matrix.jpg

HyPeR
31-12-2004, 11:41 AM
hey thats excellant. thanks for all the effort. hope to see the tutorial soon.

HyPeR
03-01-2005, 08:09 AM
SwitchBlade , anything further on the skinning? whens the tutorial due?

Happy New Year to All !!!!

BTW i've got the whole Z Drive on my laptop using Zip Manager. Will also study the file structure now.

* #35 * * *
31-12-2004, 03:39 PM

SwitchBlade

SwitchBlade
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
No idea when it's due, I've not been given a date yet for it's posting.

seanmiguel
04-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Happy New Year to All!

Any update here?

Will the tutorial be posted here, FAQs, or some other website? ;)

HyPeR
13-01-2005, 08:49 AM
No idea when it's due, I've not been given a date yet for it's posting.

Any Tutorial yet??? Waiting for it the most right now.

SwitchBlade
13-01-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm still given no dates...... :( All I do is write them, the editors, they take so long...

seanmiguel
18-01-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm still given no dates...... :( All I do is write them, the editors, they take so long...

hey switchblade, any update on the release of the tutorial?

thanks, appreciate it.

amitabhbansal
25-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Please also let me know the step by step proedure to change the side screen.
thanks

HyPeR
25-01-2005, 07:21 AM

y dont u just post it on another website...or just post the Word Document with the instructions on a website for us to download.

Ismail
25-01-2005, 03:29 PM
ok waitng for the tutoril

cant...wait...much...longer

Raven
25-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah, just release it already! Grr :viking:

:D

Delta737
26-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I think we have to spam the editors of this site until they post it (and we all know who they are) ;) ;) ;) That would speed up the process ;) ;) ;)

Playerkiller
26-01-2005, 09:15 AM
probably better let them work

seanmiguel
26-01-2005, 03:46 PM
anything.... anything at all?

:frown:

e30beemer
27-01-2005, 06:38 AM
awaiting for the tutorials patiently

Ewan
27-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Okay, I've butchered Switchblade's tutorial for skinning, so there's a few edits and presentation issues, but we'll be posting the tutorial up on AAS by Wednesday 2nd Feb at the latest. The key is making the tutorial cater to more thn the hardcore hex editors, and I have to say Hayden's done a damm fine job in writing it. And the extra time has meant a lot of the blanks have been filled in.

On a second note, would anyone be interested in writing a tutorial and some sample matrix like icons for IconChanger, so the tutorial covers looks and icons?

e30beemer
28-01-2005, 07:12 AM
great! i'll be awaiting feb 2nd

SwitchBlade
31-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Amongst the cries of AT BLOODY LAST, it's here early....

http://allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=144

traktori
31-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks VERY MUCH!

Now we only need alot of skin developers!

RickyTec
01-02-2005, 04:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the tutorial, SwitchBlade.

It's excellent. I only took a few hours to make my skin.

My Riddick Skin it's working pretty good, though I have to change the colour of the letters!

Here's some snapshots.

eshahwe
01-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks a lot for the tutorial, SwitchBlade.

It's excellent. I only took a few hours to make my skin.

My Riddick Skin it's working pretty good, though I have to change the colour of the letters!

Here's some snapshots.

Good skin Ricky. I heard the skins make the UI a bit slower. Do you notice any difference on yours?

RickyTec
01-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Good skin Ricky. I heard the skins make the UI a bit slower. Do you notice any difference on yours?

The speed is the same, I think.

I already mede some improvements in my Riddick skin, here's how it looks now.

Raven
01-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Great work, Ricky! You are certainly better at skinning than I am. I struggled several hours last night to make the phone recognise my simple skin. All to no avail I'm afraid, so I'll just leave it to those who know what they are doing.

Btw., if you should happen to get some free time, please make me a Buffy or Twin Peaks skin ;)

HyPeR
02-02-2005, 07:43 AM
i'm doing something wrong. this is waht i did.
1. i downloaded the zipped file.

2. i copied the skinpath.txt from the zipped file to c:\system\data\skinconfig\ (this replaced the older one with the new one pointing it to the c drive instead of the z drive)

3. copied the "skins" folder to c:\system\ (as in c:\system\; there was no "skins" folder, so it created it there"

---now i restarted the phone & i get this picture only.

http://www.geocities.com/gaurav500/theme1.bmp

----If i try to go to control panel>display...i get this message.

http://www.geocities.com/gaurav500/theme2.bmp

What am i doing wrong?

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 11:59 AM
That's a bug with the system, the only way to remove a custom skin to get back to the normal ones is to delete skinpath.txt first. It won't let you change it from control panel.

RickyTec
02-02-2005, 12:03 PM
(...) What am i doing wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong!

You now have the SwitchBlade's orange skin installed... and you can't switch it on the control panel because the path you're using goes only for one specific folder now.

To change that skin you have to edit it like SwitchBlade done to make his matrix skin. It's all in his tutorial. ;)

I've done my Riddick skin, so if you need help shoot!

HyPeR
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
a little bit of confusion here...

in the tutorial its written...
The zip file download for this tutorial contains all the files you will need to install a new skin. The actual process of installing the skin is copying a skinpath.txt file to c:\system\data\skinconfig. Very important, do not edit this file in Notepad or Documents on the smartphone as you will corrupt it and the skin will not work, causing your phone to revert to the default skin. Once you’ve copied the skinpath.txt file, place the contents of the Skins folder (from the tutorial zip file) into c:\System\Skins\ while preserving the rest of the directory structure The files in C:\system\skins\0x101F8EDB\ contain all the data about our new skin that Series 80 needs

Now i copied the skinpath.txt in the zipped tutorial file & replaced the existing skinpath.txt. The new one points to the C drive insted of the Z drive.... correct?

The C drive does not have the SKINS folder, which i copied from the zipped folder into c:\system\ ..... correct?

My Question. After putting the new skins & changing the skinpath.txt. HOW DO I ACTIVATE THIS MATRIX THEME???...... do i SIMPLY restart?
My Current theme is BLUE.... I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO ACTIVATE THE NEW THEME. once this is done..then i'll get cracking into making the themes... tahts a matter of editing picstures only...not that diff, but time consuming.. :)

HyPeR
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
in the normal mode..when u go to DISPLAY in control panel & choose another colour pallette, at the background the phone must be performing the same instructions in pre-described series...is'nt that right? which means one can create a SIS file that does tha same as well...right? or manybe a small programs that just runs these instructions automatically.... hmmm.... Dos Batch file maybe?

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
The matrix theme isn't supplied as i never found all the parts to make it workable. And rather than receive loads of complaints from people of "I can't read this bit" or "the colours aren't right on that bit" I decided not to release until there is a more complete list of the colours. The screenshot you posted before showed that the skin you installed was installed correctly.

RickyTec
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
My Question. After putting the new skins & changing the skinpath.txt. HOW DO I ACTIVATE THIS MATRIX THEME???...... do i SIMPLY restart?
My Current theme is BLUE.... I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO ACTIVATE THE NEW THEME. once this is done..then i'll get cracking into making the themes... tahts a matter of editing picstures only...not that diff, but time consuming.. :)

The Matrix theme from SwitchBlade isn't available in the tutorial... yet, as mentioned.

But the good news is that my Riddick skin is available in:
http://www.9500communicator.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5615#post5615

Try to be nice with on the critique... it's my first one!

I give some tips about how to install SwitchBlade's Skin and how to change it to my own Riddick skin. The first part you already did. Try the second. :D

Raven
02-02-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm just not able to make my skin look right (see attachment)... :con?

The problem I'm having is with the 800x200 pixel source background, as mentioned in the tutorial. If I keep this size, the right side panel will not align correctly with the 463x194 background picture. So I've been messing around with a bunch of different sizes here and there, and ended up changing the source background size to 755x200 which did indeed solve the alignment with the right side panel, BUT then it won't fit with the left side panel... Aaargh :mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks.

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
You forgot to chop the left hand side off of your background when making your wallpaper.

Raven
02-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I did shop of the 92 pixels though...

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
looks more like you may have mistyped and did 29 by mistake.

EDIT correction, closer inspection shows you only removed 36 pixels :)

Raven
02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
No, I really did shop off 92 pixels from my source background (755x200). If I use the 800x200 background, as you suggest in the tutorial, the problem remains, except that the alignment becomes all wrong on the right side of the screen...

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 07:22 PM
I've checked it, and can provide screenshot proof if need be mate, there is a 36 pixel difference between the left hand start of your left hand section and the left hand start of your wallpaper. Try the chopping it off again ;)

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Right:

http://dealtow.animebots.co.uk/explanation.jpg

There's a breakdown of the areas you cut your image. The final 45 pixels are marked as lost as you don't use these if you follow the exact cutting sections. If you are working with certain patterns or colours you may want to be selective of where in your image you cut hence I recommended an 800 pixel width base. If with a photo or a continuous image you use the recommended sizes and cut in the right places there should be no problem putting your image together.

Raven
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
I know I must be missing something obvious here, but I DID shop off the 92 pixels (I've checked and rechecked again and again) - if I try to shop off any more the image size won't be 643x194 anymore... The strange thing is that no matter what, the background ending up covering the entire screen (640x200) will become a cut down version of the origianl source background - no matter if the source is 755 or 800x200... I've attached the source so you can see for yourself. ;)

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I can see your problem, the very left hand side of the image needs to be the starting point, if you start further in from the side, you need to cut 92 pixels after that point. Yes the image will *not* show like that on Desk, this is because Desk uses a CBA width of 85 pixels, in other applications though the CBA can be up to 200 pixels wide, hence you need the image to extend the full 200 pixels otherwise in some apps the image will not display properly and may cause stability problems with the 9500.

Raven
02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Right:

http://dealtow.animebots.co.uk/explanation.jpg

There's a breakdown of the areas you cut your image. The final 45 pixels are marked as lost as you don't use these if you follow the exact cutting sections. If you are working with certain patterns or colours you may want to be selective of where in your image you cut hence I recommended an 800 pixel width base. If with a photo or a continuous image you use the recommended sizes and cut in the right places there should be no problem putting your image together.

Aha, thanks for the pic. What I did when I tried using 800x200 was that I made the CBAs from the very end of the right side, and not from the 555 pixels mark. I think I'll get it right now... :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, Hayden!

SwitchBlade
02-02-2005, 07:46 PM
No problems, the tutorial is written always working from the left to avoid confusion. I can see where it can arise from now though.

Raven
02-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Ok, finally got it sorted now. :) Turned out that I'd made my error in 'skinappview' - I had to resize my 800x200 background to 640x200 before I overlaid it with the with the bitmaps.

I only made this skin to get familiar with the process, I don't think I'll keep it as it makes the screen look a bit too 'busy'.

Captain Usman
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Of all these themes Matrix's the best. Switchblade please release it in whatever condition. Don't bother about complaints

SwitchBlade
03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Ok ok ok, to save the earbashing. You can get the matrix skin here (http://dealtow.animebots.co.uk/matrix.zip). To install follow the instructions and install the files in the tutorial, then overwrite the contents of the 0x101F8ED8 with the contents of the zip file. Voila matrix skin.

Bugs: any (and I mean any) error, information or warning messages you get will be in the form of white text on a white background. I couldn't find where to change that background to black. The date text at the top of Desk is black, and I can't find where to change that either. Finally j2me apps you may find you are working with black text on a black backgrouns, again couldn't find where the text colour is changed.

Raven
03-02-2005, 01:16 AM
I just made another skin that makes the screen look a bit less messy. I haven't bothered with all the smaller UI images and text/background colours yet, as I think it looks fine the way it is. But, Switch, how do you remove or change colour of that little box around the clock?

Thanks again for your help and the excellent tutorial.

Btw, the background file doesn't need to be 800x200, it's easier to use 755x200.

Captain Usman
03-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Ok ok ok, to save the earbashing. You can get the matrix skin here (http://dealtow.animebots.co.uk/matrix.zip). To install follow the instructions and install the files in the tutorial, then overwrite the contents of the 0x101F8ED8 with the contents of the zip file. Voila matrix skin.

Bugs: any (and I mean any) error, information or warning messages you get will be in the form of white text on a white background. I couldn't find where to change that background to black. The date text at the top of Desk is black, and I can't find where to change that either. Finally j2me apps you may find you are working with black text on a black backgrouns, again couldn't find where the text colour is changed.

No, it didn't work. The orange one installs correctly after booting, however after copying the contents of 'matrix' and booting again, the default skin is restored; not even the orange one. In skinconfig folder the textfile goes missing on its own. Is there something that I'm mising or else?

HyPeR
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
finally got the 1st part of my theme in place...
i must tell u , this has been a very very very long procedure.....
anyways will now get cracking on a nice windows XP theme......
Lets see how that comes out.....

HyPeR
03-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Here's a small windows theme.... but only the basic... i yet need to play around with font colours & other icons backgrounds...

Here a preview......

http://www.geocities.com/gaurav500/xp.bmp

eshahwe
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's a small windows theme.... but only the basic... i yet need to play around with font colours & other icons backgrounds...

Here a preview......

http://www.geocities.com/gaurav500/xp.bmp

Nice theme Hyper. Its coming out good. Keep up the good work.

SwitchBlade
03-02-2005, 12:22 PM
The background to the clock is listed in the colour list as: 0x101F87FD in the [extended_color_section], as I pointed out in the graphic selection that will always be a solid colour background, for which I have no idea.

As for the matrix theme, I pulled the wrong copy of the .skn file for it. Download again and it should work. The deletion of the skinpath.txt file is the devices way of defending itself against a bug in a theme damaging the ui and possibly the stability of the device.

RickyTec
03-02-2005, 12:43 PM
The background to the clock is listed in the colour list as: 0x101F87FD in the [extended_color_section], as I pointed out in the graphic selection that will always be a solid colour background, for which I have no idea.

As for the matrix theme, I pulled the wrong copy of the .skn file for it. Download again and it should work. The deletion of the skinpath.txt file is the devices way of defending itself against a bug in a theme damaging the ui and possibly the stability of the device.

I though so! I tried 2 times and couldn't put your matrix skin.
I'll give it a shot now. ;)

RickyTec
03-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I though so! I tried 2 times and couldn't put your matrix skin.
I'll give it a shot now. ;)

Still doesn't work with me :(

SwitchBlade
03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Spot the deliberate error. All the gfx are in C:\skins on my 9500 so that I can upload them to the phone quickly for test, forgot to change the path in the .skn file. Done now. Told you it shouldn't be released.

Captain Usman
03-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Spot the deliberate error. All the gfx are in C:\skins on my 9500 so that I can upload them to the phone quickly for test, forgot to change the path in the .skn file. Done now. Told you it shouldn't be released.

Still doesn't work here. :(

Raven
03-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Switch,

I'm trying to edit the SKN file. Do I put [red component] [blue component] [green component] in every line? If I want to edit the clock background colour to brown do I just write: 0x101F87FD [code] 158 6 113 [code]? And does it matter if the order is: red - blue - green, or can it be: red - green -blue?

RickyTec
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Switch,

I'm trying to edit the SKN file. Do I put [red component] [blue component] [green component] in every line? If I want to edit the clock background colour to brown do I just write: 0x101F87FD [code] 158 6 113 [code]? And does it matter if the order is: red - blue - green, or can it be: red - green -blue?

I think the "Clock Background Color" is in code 0x101F87FE and the colors are RGB VALUES, so it's RED GREEN BLUE.

SwitchBlade
05-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes colours are RGB as standard anywhere else, 0-255 are the values.

bassist_x
03-03-2005, 08:58 AM
how do you change skins???

Raven
03-03-2005, 01:55 PM
To make your own skin you need to read SwitchBlade's tutorial (http://allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=144). It isn't really as complicated as it looks. To make a simple skin you only really need to replace the 3 major MBMs.

I've made 4 skins so far. They aren't exactly perfect, but I think anything is better than the default, boring look of the UI. If you, or anyone else want to try one of my skins, just let me know and I'll upload them with instructions on how to install them.

Another thing that must be noted is that after a new skin is installed, the 'Display' option in Control panel won't be available anymore. The only way to change your skin back to default will be to delete (or move) the 'skinpath.txt' file from C:\System\Data\SkinConfig.

Here's some screenshots of how a couple of my skins look like:

bassist_x
04-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Where do i get the Series 80 Software Development Kit (SDK)???

bassist_x
04-03-2005, 02:39 AM
how do i access C:\System\Data\SkinConfig. ???

Raven
04-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Bassist_x,

The search (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/search.php?) button is your friend. ;)

The SDK can be downloaded from forum.nokia.com, but you don't need it to make a skin.

Simply use the built in File manager to access C:\System\Data\SkinConfig (Menu - Settings - Show system directory - Yes).

hunt999
04-03-2005, 06:53 PM
hey switchblade i cant realy find the software in my-symbian??
plz......... i need it fast i am borad on my skin in 9500

Raven
04-03-2005, 08:04 PM
What software are you talking about?

bassist_x
05-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Raven,

Help I cant find the skinConfig
I did what you said... show system, opened communicator => System => Data =>??? no skin Config??? Help me out here plssss!!! tnx

Raven
05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Hmm, it should be there, but if it ain't - just create a new folder and name it SkinConfig. :)

bassist_x
06-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Raven,

Ei thanks I found the skinconfig.... now what do i do next???

bassist_x
06-03-2005, 04:11 AM
Raven,

Where do I get the Skinpath.txt file to be placed on the skinconfig???

Raven
06-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Please read the tutorial. Everything is covered there, including the files you need (at the bottom of the page).

bassist_x
06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Raven,

Thanks! you've been a great help! I managed to change my skin to the orange theme with margins on the right side... Could I please ask you to send me some skin files of yours... thanks in advance!

bassist_x
07-03-2005, 04:46 AM
BTW my email add is bassist_ben@yahoo.com...

bassist_x
08-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey guys I was just wondering where I can download skins for my 9500... or can some of you who has some good skins send it to me pls.... my email add is bassist_ben@yahoo.com

bassist_x
08-03-2005, 07:34 AM
BTW where can I download that cool matrix skin with white fonts??? Tell me plsssssssss!!! I'm desperate! :D

SwitchBlade
08-03-2005, 08:35 AM
In this thread, as I told you previously in reply to the PM you sent, look back through the pages.

bassist_x
08-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Swictchblade,

the matrix skin posted within this thread does not work... can you please send it to me personally I mean thru email... pls... Thanks in Advance... bassist_ben@yahoo.com

bassist_x
10-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Finally after weeks of pain!!! now I know how to change and make skins!! hahaha...
But guys can you teaxh me how to change the color of the txt to white... I made a Black wallpaper and i cant change my fonts to white.... help pls...

bassist_x
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Here is what i have done so far.....

bassist_x
12-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi guys I wanted to share what i have done so far with skinning.... and I would like everyone of us to share our skins by posting it here....
BTW if you want this skin just PM me and ill send it to you thru email....
God Bless...

fffff
12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi guys I wanted to share what i have done so far with skinning.... and I would like everyone of us to share our skins by posting it here....
BTW if you want this skin just PM me and ill send it to you thru email....
God Bless...

pls,

send me

f9642244@yahoo.com

thanks

Raven
12-03-2005, 05:45 PM
But guys can you teaxh me how to change the color of the txt to white... I made a Black wallpaper and i cant change my fonts to white.... help pls...

You have to edit the orange.skn file - as explained in the tutorial. I can't help you more than that, as I'm having troubles with the SKN file myself. Lately, I've been playing around with the 'Colors' app made by Epocware, which lets you change most of the colours. It is made for the 92xx though, so it doesn't work perfectly on the 9500/9300.

stefanas
13-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I've been reading and following this posting for weeks now.

I have read the tutorials and I seem to encounter the same problems that Hyper had. I 'd like to learn how he got around them.

Like Hyper I did the following:

I put the new skinpath.txt file in the Data/Skinconfig, and created a new folder in the System as System/Skins/0x101F8EDB/ with the MBM files. Then I restarted (by taking the battery out) and now I have a blue theme that can't be changed, and my skinpath.txt file is missing in the Data folder.

So, what do I do now? I tried this a couple of times. I also tried Riddicks files, but to no avail.

I am also developing my new skin at the same time. I am calling it flame. I'll be glad to share it when it's finished. BUT, can anyone tell me how I can convert the bmp files into a MBM with using my Mac Powerbook G4? Is there a Mac version of the converter?

Thank you, and I look forward to your repiles.

Stefan

TheBrain
18-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello i read the z drive from my 9500 and want to change the color from orange to blue. in z:system:data ist a folder told blue_skin. i tried to change the bluefolder but it doesnt work. is it possible to change the color in blue?

SwitchBlade
18-03-2005, 03:26 PM
You need to edit the colour tables in the orange.skn file. It's a fairly arduous process but it's the way to do it. If you want to use the existing blue skin as a templace you could copy colour settings from the blue.skn file across to the orange.skn one I supplied.

TheBrain
18-03-2005, 06:38 PM
how can i edit it? the tutorial show me how to edit mbm but not how to edit skn. or bedder i understand nothing :-( can someone post a blue skn or can tell me for idiots which number is for what?

sorry when it stay here my english is so terrible

ok i thin i find the problem

2 255 0 0

You can add in as many lines to your SKN file as you need, just remmber to stick to the syntax of…

[code] [red component] [blue component] [green component]

blue and green ist switched in the european version.

2 0 0 255 is blue :D

is here in the net a code list which number is yello or dark green.....

Raven
19-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Workin' on a new skin:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/linuxpower.jpg

I finally understand how to edit the SKN file, but there are still elements of the UI I'm not able to locate... Like the parts I've circled here:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/msgeditor.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/highlight.jpg

And these little pop up bastards:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/popupbastards.jpg

Any ideas? Switch?

:)

SwitchBlade
20-03-2005, 02:17 PM
In the standard colours settings:

7 - Desk text highlight colour (among other things)
18 - Menu top backgroung colour
19 - Menu top text colour
21 - Menu top highlight colour
22 - Menu dropdown background colour
23 - Menu Active option text colour
25 - Selected menu item text colour
27 - Menu inactive option text colour
28 - Highlighted inactive menu option

The tabs and shadow effects in the settings dialog are in one of the set of bitmap files, though I can't remember which colour did the title bar colour for the SMS sender, which means that when it changed it was by happy accident than me noticing which it was :/

Raven
20-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks mate. I'll look into it again. I've tried changing number 7 many times, but it dosen't seem to affect the desk text highlight colour. It does change the highlight colour in Messaging and Control panel etc. though, so I don't understand what's going on there... But I'll keep working on it. And number 21 doesn't seem to change the text highlighter in the drop down menu, only the little box on the top when you switch options there (move horizontally).

It's fun experimenting with the colour values, but most of the time I end up using the default colours from the Orange skin because it is so hard to get consistency when there are always some little things I'm not able to change, and sometimes you can't change one part without affecting some other parts... The most frustrating thing here is that I can't change the white backgrounds throughout the UI without messing up other parts - just look at this example:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/grr.jpg

So when I change the background colour from white, I get those white borders everywhere text input is possible...

You know, I'm spending a lot of time just getting to grips with your tutorial, and I can only imagine how much time you spent discovering all those things and preparing the tutorial... :o Kudos! :icon14:

SwitchBlade
21-03-2005, 06:42 PM
It is a pain in the arse, the amount of unknowns is down to stuff where I've change a colour, then flicked through all the standard apps I can think of to see what changed then moving on to the next colour, it was a real mission. Obviously we need people to add more correct colours if and when they find more, as without a complete list we won't get a completely coherent skin.

Raven
23-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Still messin' around with the SKN file. It wasn't that hard to create a skin based entirely on the default blue skin instead of the orange:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/desk.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/control.jpg

But in the default Desk view I always get that thin black border on top;

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/deskdefault.jpg

Any idea how to get rid of it, Switch?

SwitchBlade
23-03-2005, 06:49 PM
No idea tbh, I never noticed it when I was working on skins.

Raven
24-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Been thinking of another thing... Any idea how hard it would be to make a skin into a SIS file?

SwitchBlade
24-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Never made a sis file so don't know how they work, shouldn't be too hard, but there are a few downsides in that to remove the skin it'd be best to remove it with the control panel tool before installing the next .sis file etc.

bassist_x
28-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys!!! Can you send me those skins you made!? Plsssssss!!!!
My email add is bassist_ben@yahoo.com

fffff
28-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys!!! Can you send me those skins you made!? Plsssssss!!!!
My email add is bassist_ben@yahoo.com

me to plssssssss

f9642244@yahoo.com

thanks

Raven
28-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Which skin is it you guys want?

fffff
28-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Which skin is it you guys want?

skin into a SIS file

SwitchBlade
31-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Teh txt sp34k! My 3y3s!

We've not sussed putting a skin in a SIS file yet. Gotta do it the old fashioned method.

bassist_x
01-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I want all those skins posted!!! hehehe. if its not too much to ask... :rolleyes:

Raven
03-04-2005, 06:30 PM
I think this one turned out quite well:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/pdesk.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/cp.jpg

Raven
04-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Tux:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/pdesk.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/TuxSkin.zip)

LinuxPowerBlue:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/desk.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://www.home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/LinuxPowerBlue.zip)

LinuxPowerOrange:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/linuxpower.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://www.home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/LinuxPowerOrange.zip)

eshahwe
05-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow, thanks Raven :)

fffff
05-04-2005, 06:14 AM
thanks for all :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

Raven
05-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Wood:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/powdesk.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/conpan.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/sheet.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://www.home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Wood.zip)

Roman
05-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Cool Raven ;) Please tell me, how can I convert mbm to bmp ?

Raven
05-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Don't you mean bmp to mbm? I don't know about the other way around, sorry.

Roman
05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
No, I know the way bmp to mbm - but it should be possible to convert mbm to bmp ?!

Raven
05-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Found this program (http://www.millican.f2s.com/realmaps/EPOCpic.htm) with a quick Google search. Haven't tried it though, so dunno how good it is...

SwitchBlade
05-04-2005, 02:36 PM
The mbmconv tool does convert both ways.

HyPeR
07-04-2005, 07:45 AM
1st let me say " Ladies & Gentleman Raven is the undisputed King of Skinning" not to forget SwitchBlade.... THANKS GUYS...

mbconv cannot convert msm file to a bmp...maybe it does...but it shows me an error....something like NOT A VALID ARCHIVE.

the idea of doing this is to get RAVEN's templates i think, so that one can then just cut/paste their pics/backgrounds onto it & make a new skin.

BTW...i have a question..when u change the colour from green to orange..the 9500 does it without restarting the phone....i'm sure that this whole set of new colours is also a seperate skin....am i right? this means it must possible to do this with raven's skin???

SwitchBlade
07-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes and no, the standard colour selection only works for ones in the relevant place on the z: drive. Once you put your own skin files on this application gets all upset and refuses to play ball.

As for the templates, what's wrong with the ones provided in the tutorial?

I used mbmconv to convert the original .mbm files to the bitmaps I used to do the skinning tutorial so yes it does work. Unfortunately in a head crash i lost the hard drive with all the details on so i can't tell you the switches to use.

Raven
08-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I've made some changes to the 'Tux' skin:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/_con.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/web2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/ScreenShot001.jpg

DOWNLOAD TUX2 HERE (http://www.home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Tux2.zip).

Comments/suggestions/ideas appreciated! :)

bassist_x
11-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Guys!!! Great Work!!! May I suggest posting more skins!!! I would really love it! Thanks!!!!!!

Raven
11-04-2005, 02:26 PM
May I suggest posting more skins!!!

You may, but you may also be a bit more concise about what kind of skins you'd like to see... ;)

If people have any suggestions, just post away. I won't promise anything, but if you have a suggestion for a skin, then you need to post (or link to) a big wallpaper which you'd like to see turned into a skin for your Communicator. And I'll think about doing it. ;)

Joe9500
12-04-2005, 07:16 AM
I would really "kill" for that matrix skin :)

I' actually working on one myself, but I'm still checking out how to actually do the process

Raven
12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Well, I am certainly not going to make a Matrix skin, for the simple reason that it won't look right. If you use such a dark skin, several objects (text mostly) won't be visible anymore. The pop-up notes/warnings for instance will be completely unreadable. And there are many more examples. And, as I demonstrated earlier in this thread, when you start colouring the all-white backgrounds, the places where text input is available will have white borders all around them. Remember that the tutorial isn't complete - some UI elements are still uncounted for. The best advice I can give is to use a skin that isn't too much in contrast with one of the default ones, and to not change the solid white background colour.

HyPeR
12-04-2005, 02:37 PM
how about these backgrounds to skins??? :icon14:

Raven
12-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, the image needs to be much bigger (think computer wallpaper size) and preferably of better quality.

HyPeR
13-04-2005, 08:07 AM
How about this one. i think all the text will also be clear on this one, including all the highlights etc.
:icon14: ;)

this used to be my old wallpaper..

Raven
13-04-2005, 01:22 PM
HyPeR,

Sorry mate, your wallpaper is still too small... I have to use a 755x200 source and your picture is only 640 pixels wide. So, I would have to stretch the picture and thus the skin wouldn't turn out very well.

Btw, I expect to have several more skins ready soon. :)

weera
13-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi all! I'm a new user of Communicator, so please be gentle with me.. :D

Is there any way that I change text color into white instead of black?

thx in advance..

btw great job for Switchblade n Raven..! Salut! :) :icon14:

Raven
14-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi weera, welcome to the forum.

Where is it you want to change the text colour?

weera
17-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi weera, welcome to the forum.

Where is it you want to change the text colour?
Hi raven, thx.
I mean text colour in the commy display, like when I use your wood skin, the text colour is black while your tux2 skin has black text. (hope you know what I mean?) :)

SwitchBlade
17-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I would really "kill" for that matrix skin :)

I' actually working on one myself, but I'm still checking out how to actually do the process
Feel free to modify it. And if you find any colour codes that aren't already mapped out to point them out here so they can be added to the listing at a later date.

On a skin note the easiest skin to make is one based around the standard colours and just changing the pictures, much the same as the 9210. Otherwise things do become ludicrously complicated with all the colour options to track down and correct. As much as I'd like a skin with a dark background myself it's just not possible to do and make it look complete.

Raynold
18-04-2005, 01:40 PM
hi raven and switchblace..

thanks to your tutotial on this thread, so I can make a skin based on raven's tux2 skin for my friend's 9500 (I'm using 6600... hik..hik..)

but I have to modify image#5 in skinapptitle into 595 x 200 pixel image with starting point (92,0)pixel dan wallpaper 463 x 194 pixel with starting point (92,6) pixel to make these 2 images macth each other.

and I still have black border that saperate wallpaper image and top of image#5 skinapptitile.mbm, what should I do ?

how to change text color ?

thanks a lot... sorry for my bad english

Raven
18-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Just a word of caution to those of you who are making skins... Be careful when you edit the skin (SKN) file. I made a stupid mistake where I forgot to change the paths in the 'bitmap section' (forgot to replace some B's with C's...) and ended up killing my phone. And to add to the stupidity I didn't have a back-up ready. And if that wasn't enough, I discovered after doing a hard reset that the skin I was working so hard on (the one that rendered my commie useless) turned out rather badly...

:banghead:

Raven
18-04-2005, 02:53 PM
but I have to modify image#5 in skinapptitle into 595 x 200 pixel image with starting point (92,0)pixel dan wallpaper 463 x 194 pixel with starting point (92,6) pixel to make these 2 images macth each other.

Hmm, I think I left out the CBA panel when I made #5 in 'skinapptitle'. You can just use the CBA (200x200) from 'skincommandbar' and paste that into the source and then cut from point 92,0 so you get a part of the CBA at the end... Bah, forget it, I'll just upload it here.

how to change text color ?

You have to edit the .SKN file. It's explained at the end of SwitchBlade's tutorial.

Raven
18-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi raven, thx.
I mean text colour in the commy display, like when I use your wood skin, the text colour is black while your tux2 skin has black text. (hope you know what I mean?) :)

I think I know what you mean. I've attached the modified orange.skn file to this post with white text in stead of black. Just go to C:\System\skins\0x101F8EDB and replace the orange.skn file with the one I've attached here (remember to unzip first), and reboot your Communicator.

Raven
18-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Bliss:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/desk4.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/cpanel.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Bliss.zip)

Worms:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/d.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/c.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Worms.zip)

Delta737
19-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Wow, they get nicer all time! Keep it up Raven!!!

Raynold
19-04-2005, 11:27 AM
thanks for the explaination, raven....

very nice bliss skin.....love it

Raven
19-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Glad you liked it. :) Personally, it just reminds me too much of Windows (oh the nightmares!), but I knew others wanted it so...

Anyway, I'm running out of ideas here... I was thinking about a Mac skin, but can't seem to find any decent pictures to work with. Any ideas are most welcome! ;)

mykhalis
19-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Anyway, I'm running out of ideas here... I was thinking about a Mac skin, but can't seem to find any decent pictures to work with. Any ideas are most welcome! ;)

What about the classic azul(of the default wallpapers of Win Xp)?
I find it quite interesting(bright and nice colors etc)...

Also any "nature-related" skin would be nice... :)

Raven
19-04-2005, 06:50 PM
AppleTosh:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/apple.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/applecon.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/AppleTosh.zip)

Raynold
20-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I've install bliss skin,....
but it gives some questions..
1. I got blackline on top of wallpaper that not appears on your bliss's screenshot..
2. text color still black,

did I do anything wrong?

:redface: I dont how to put a screenshon on this thread, I'm new in this forum....

Raynold
20-04-2005, 09:38 AM
really, I dont know how to put an image on this thread...

raven, I hope you dont mind to see screenshoot of bliss skin that I put as attachment...

thanks man..

Raven
20-04-2005, 10:38 AM
I've install bliss skin,....
but it gives some questions..
1. I got blackline on top of wallpaper that not appears on your bliss's screenshot..
2. text color still black,

did I do anything wrong?

Hehe, no you didn't do anything wrong. That little black line on top is there in the default Desk application (haven't found a way to get rid of it). However, I only use PowerDesk (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1208&jid=576XBCX6AB967E7BAX85824534E8269C&platformId=4&productType=2&productId=152741&sectionId=0&catalog=20&topSectionId=-1) as my desktop, and in PowerDesk you can change the text colour and there is no black line.

Cheers

Raynold
20-04-2005, 01:31 PM
hi raven, thanks for the quick reply.

oh...... I thought I did something wrong about installing the skin

I've made 3 skin, but still dont know how to put them here...(stupid of me)

I put a master image on attachment, hope you like the backgroud image

Raven
20-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I've made 3 skin, but still dont know how to put them here...(stupid of me)

You have to upload the file(s) to a server and then put a link here. As for posting images, you also have to upload them to a remote server (I use the free service @ http://photobucket.com ) and then link to the images here by putting; link to image in your post.

Raynold
22-04-2005, 05:56 PM
here's one of my skins
I need feedback guys... :)

weera
22-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I think I know what you mean. I've attached the modified orange.skn file to this post with white text in stead of black. Just go to C:\System\skins\0x101F8EDB and replace the orange.skn file with the one I've attached here (remember to unzip first), and reboot your Communicator.

Thx alot Raven. :)

btw your making great progress in skinning 9500
:icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

veepeejii
22-04-2005, 08:54 PM
help me i don't find C:\System\Data\SkinConfig folder
can i create it myself??

Follow these three steps to install the Worms skin:

1. Transfer the folder '0x101F8EDC' and the file 'skinpath.txt' to your Communicator.

2. Use the File manager in your phone to locate the files you just transfered and
copy/paste the file 'skinpath.txt' to C:\System\Data\SkinConfig. Then copy/paste the folder
'0x101F8EDC' to C:\System\skins\ (if you don't have a 'skins' folder, just create one).

3. Reboot your phone.

bassist_x
23-04-2005, 08:12 AM
hey Raven!!! can you help me edit this skin...
can you please remove the box containing the clock... and make the orange color blend in...(light blue) dunno...
and can you please change the orange skin.txt to blue.... tnx

I cant upload it... can u just give me ur email and i send it to you... tnx

Raven
23-04-2005, 12:44 PM
here's one of my skins
I need feedback guys... :)

It would be nice if you provided a screenshot or two. ;)

help me i don't find C:\System\Data\SkinConfig folder
can i create it myself??

Yep.

can you please remove the box containing the clock... and make the orange color blend in...(light blue) dunno...
and can you please change the orange skin.txt to blue....

Which skin are you talking about? You can find a 'blue.skn' file in one of my skins like; 'Bliss' or 'Worms'. If you tell me the RGB value of the colour you want around the clock, I'll change the file and upload it here.

mugen_jon
26-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, i try to modify the themes. . . . but the wallpaper cannot cover up the screen . . as you guys can see in the my attachment . . .
Is this a hardware problem . . or the size of the wallpaper are not match . . .
Cause every picture which are posted in this topic didnt have any gap . . .

Raven
26-04-2005, 10:52 AM
In the default Desk application six pixels from the top are used by the system, leaving the wallpaper to a resolution of 463 x 194 pixels. When you follow SwitchBlade's skinning tutorial, that is solved be changing #5 in 'skinapptitle'.

weera
27-04-2005, 05:55 PM
any of you guys know how to edit .ske/.skn file in PC?
what program do I have to use?

thx in advance :)

Raven
27-04-2005, 06:01 PM
NotePad/WordPad etc.

bassist_x
28-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Ei Raven can you please put the blue.skn txt here so i can download it and change the orange.skn!!! tnx!!!

Nosferatu
28-04-2005, 10:33 AM
:cool: Hmmmm... perhaps u guys need some help from the old AAS master jedi of skin... He has been long lost forgotten...

:rolleyes: in the swamp???

Raven
28-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Hmmmm... perhaps u guys need some help from the old AAS master jedi of skin... He has been long lost forgotten...

in the swamp???

Glad to have you back, Nos old boy! :)

We'll be looking forward to see what you can come up with. I'm sure you've read the tutorial? If not, here it is again: http://allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=144

Ei Raven can you please put the blue.skn txt here so i can download it and change the orange.skn!!! tnx!!!

Here you go. It's the one I used for the 'Tux' skins.

bassist_x
29-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Ei Raven can i have the original uneditted blue.skn file... pls

weera
29-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Ei Raven can i have the original uneditted blue.skn file... pls

this maybe?

@raven: thx for the tips :)

bassist_x
30-04-2005, 05:02 PM
cant seem to make the blue.skn work...

do i have to change the skinpath txt???

bassist_x
30-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Ei Raven can you please be the one to post the original blue.skn and an instruction how to replace an orange.skn in a 0x101F8EDB folder... Thanks!

Ferwah
30-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Raven my name is Ferry Can you give me the step for make skin for my nokia 9500 please e mail me to ferywayu@telkom.net Thank You

Raven
30-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Ei Raven can you please be the one to post the original blue.skn and an instruction how to replace an orange.skn in a 0x101F8EDB folder... Thanks!

You need the 0x101F8EDC folder with all the MBMs from the default Blue skin. You can't just change the .SKN file and expect the entire skin to change too. Just download my 'Bliss' skin and use the 0x101F8EDC folder from that skin. Just replace the 'skinapptitle', 'skinappview' and 'skincommandbar' files with the ones you want to use, and use the blue.skn that weera uploaded.

Can you give me the step for make skin for my nokia 9500

Raven
30-04-2005, 07:34 PM
This one is based on the default Green scheme.

Darkness:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/dark.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/dark2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/dark4.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/dark3.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Darkness.zip)

Raven
01-05-2005, 01:25 AM
Based on Nokia's Green Scheme and SwitchBlade's Matrix skin.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/matrix.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/CorvusCorax/matrix2.jpg

DOWNLOAD (http://home.no/memento_mori/9300%20skins/Matrix2.zip)

mykhalis
01-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Very nice Raven!
keep up the good work.:)

SwitchBlade
02-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Nicely done mate, I should really sit down and make some skins....

bassist_x
02-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Ei Raven! I did what you said... but it does not work... i downloaded your bliss theme... then i pasted weera's blue.skn then i replaced the skinappview, skinapptitle, and the skincommandbar... then i rebooted my phone.... it does not work.... why oh why???

bassist_x
02-05-2005, 02:23 PM
BTW your bliss theme works and my theme(where i got the skinapp, skincom etc.) also works but whe i combine the it does not work...

bassist_x
02-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Raven, I tried to change the skinappview skinapptitle and skincommandbar without changing the default blue.skn file on your bliss theme and it works!!! so i guess weera's blue.skn is a dud... can i just send you my skin and edit it for me?

Raven
02-05-2005, 03:03 PM
If you currently use the orange.skn file, remember to also change the 'skinpath.txt' file. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'blue.skn' file weera uploaded.

bassist_x
02-05-2005, 03:35 PM
no there is no problem with the skinpath.txt... i tried your blue.skn and it works...

Raynold
02-05-2005, 03:37 PM
hey...raven, you're right. Powerdesk makes everything looks fine. hehehe...

oh.. Reven's New Skins..... so.. so.. cool abis deh.. (eng, "very cool")

Raven
02-05-2005, 03:57 PM
no there is no problem with the skinpath.txt... i tried your blue.skn and it works...

Alrighty then. So what you want to use is the unedited, default blue scheme, correct?

Try this one (attached).

mykhalis
02-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Raven.
I tried to apply the new matrix skin to my 9500.
However,when i reboot my device,to apply the skin, the startup process stack and this can only be solved with a format.

And i am asking...

Did you,or anyone else, experienced this problem when applying these skins?
This problem is being shown with both new skins(darknes & matrix),but with none of the older skins,so is their any problem with them?

Thanks.:)

Raven
02-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Really? Damn, I'll look into it right away.

I faced that problem once, but it was only because I forgot to change some paths in the .SKN file.

Anyway, sorry about that. I'll remove those two skins right away in case anyone else faces such problems.

Raven
02-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Mykhalis,

Are you sure you didn't do anything wrong when you applied the skins? Because I just installed the 'Matrix2' skin again and everything worked like a charm...

If anyone else have tried either the 'Matrix2' skin or the 'Darkness' skin, I'd really appreciate your comment.

EDIT: I've uploaded Matrix2 again and applied some changes which should make it more usable. Please try it again, mykhalis.

EDIT2: Both skins are back on-line as I couldn't find anything wrong with them.

mykhalis
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
What a @#$#&^$^ i am.:D

I used to send the zip file directly on the device and extracting them directly into the "critical" directories,and pressing "replace all" to replace each folder contents(of skins and skinconfig).

It seems that older skins had more files than the new ones.And so by presing "replace all" some files which were in the folders form previous applied skin were not deleted.
So the new skin had some files in the directory from the older one,and this cause the startup process to fail.

I realised that(after a few unsuccesive tries), and i first deleted the folder, containing the mbm images etc,and after extracting the files into them...and it simply worked like a charm.:)

Raven
03-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Glad you got it sorted. :) Started to get worried there for a second... Can't have my skins going around killing people's phones. :D

weera
03-05-2005, 10:12 PM
If you currently use the orange.skn file, remember to also change the 'skinpath.txt' file. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 'blue.skn' file weera uploaded.
yep! nothings wrong with the blu.skn I uploaded. its the original file from the Z drive I copy it myself. :D

Great work for those new skins man! you made my friends (9500 users) shock when they see my 9500 :D :icon14: :icon14: :icon14: :icon14:
thx alot! :)

bassist_x
05-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi guys! when are you gonna be posting new skins??? I cant wait! weeeeee!

weera
06-05-2005, 01:35 AM
hi raven! how do I change the clock box color with the same as my theme is gonna be? what file do I have to change those RGB value?

thx :)

Raven
06-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Weera,

You open up the .SKN file in Notepad. Then, under [extended_color_section] you put in the line 0x101F87FE and the RGB value. For instance, to get a blue colour you put in the line; 0x101F87FE 0 0 255. And then you close the file and save the changes.

weera
06-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Weera,

You open up the .SKN file in Notepad. Then, under [extended_color_section] you put in the line 0x101F87FE and the RGB value. For instance, to get a blue colour you put in the line; 0x101F87FE 0 0 255. And then you close the file and save the changes.

Thx alot Raven :)

I tried to make my own skin but end up in hard reseting my 9500 :(
just can't figure out yet what happened.
is it like the one when you frogot to change some paths in .skn file?
am I able to use those original .skn file or your.skn file and put my skinappview, skinapptitle and skincommandbar to use with them?

one more question, do I have to save those .bmp files in 16bits, 24bits, or 32 bits before I compile them into .mbm?

thx before :)

Raven
07-05-2005, 12:00 PM
am I able to use those original .skn file or your.skn file and put my skinappview, skinapptitle and skincommandbar to use with them?

Yep.

one more question, do I have to save those .bmp files in 16bits, 24bits, or 32 bits before I compile them into .mbm?

Well, I use 16bit as that means 65K colours - the same amount supported by the 9500/9300. I don't think there is any point going higher than that...

weera
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
thanks Raven :)

bassist_x
14-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi guys!!! when are you gonna post new skins???

bassist_x
31-05-2005, 04:20 AM
are there other sites that offer 9500 skins???

SwitchBlade
01-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Latest attempt at a skin, Imperial in Red.
http://www.aoud06.dsl.pipex.com/impsceen.jpg

EDIT: Added the matching Oggplay skin
http://www.aoud06.dsl.pipex.com/impogg.jpg

benny73
01-06-2005, 06:23 PM

beautiful!!! :icon14:

Raven
01-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Very nice, Switch! :) I've been waiting for a new Oggplay skin - the default one is horrible. Btw, what's up with the bottom part being cut out? It's same in the default one...

benny73
01-06-2005, 09:42 PM

download?? :D

SwitchBlade
01-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Looks like there's a problem with the way Oggplay draws to the screen for some reason it loses the bottom 5 pixels. As for a download, it's still work in progress so you'll have to wait a little longerwhile I beat the bits I don't like.

Raven
01-06-2005, 10:20 PM
So it isn't possible to change this in the skin? I tried replacing the .bmp containing the background (replaced it with another image resized to 463x200), but the skin got messed up. I might have made some other mistakes when I messed around with the Oggplay skin though...

SwitchBlade
01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Nope the background image in mine is 463x200. It's a bug with Oggplay. It's been annoying me too, with luck they'll sort it out and update.

bertq60
02-06-2005, 07:54 AM
There is an OggPlay release for Series80 in the work. We'll try to add the fix for this in it. Can't promise anything though...

fone_fanatic
05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
thank you guys so much for the tutorial and all the other posted skins, i'm in the works on one of my own which i am pretty impressed with for a 1st attempt. i still need to edit the .skn for the font color and clock background but not familiar with the rgb values so gonna read into that first. well heres 2 screenshots, 1st one i was too excited so i didnt even bother with the skinapptitle 2nd one i fixed that and also corrected a mistake i made with the skincommandbar. lookin at it now, i think i'm gonna restart from scratch because i didnt read ahead and find out that the last 45px are unused. any hints or tips or advice would be great. also for the skinapptitle how to i get rid of that border around the top? and to change the scroll bar color which images in the skinscrollbar do i change, cuz i opened it up and fainted.

fone_fanatic
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM

do you mind if you can give me your .skn file for this one because it looks like it will go well with the ferrari one i'm workin on.

btw for all ppl creating skins i found a nice site that has the rgb values laid out here it is http://www.web-source.net/216_color_chart.htm also are we using 216 colors?

another quickie, i just removed the file in skinconfig and now its to the default grey skin, but when i go to tools control panel - display it won't open.. maybe i'm just panicking let me reinsert the one with the z path and hopefully it will be back to normal.

SwitchBlade
05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
You have to delete the skins folder too on the C: before it will let you use normal skins. The skn file isn't finished yet, actually it's a bit ballsed and still working on the skin.

You can use the full range of something like 16.7million colours, each takes colour values from 0-255 in the RGB.

CharlieBrown
18-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I would like to thank the guy who created the Longhorn skin. I enjoyed it thorougly :D

But, how about the icons? Can they be changed in the 9500?

Max1976
20-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello,

first of all, thank you for the fantastic skins!!!

Unfortunatly the list of the color-codes in switchblades tutorial is a little bit skechty, has anyone a complete list of the codes for the skn-file?

Can anyone post all avaliable skins on a seperate page?

Markus

PS: May i have the longhorn-skin? Thx

weera
20-06-2005, 10:55 PM
which one is longhorn skin?

CharlieBrown
21-06-2005, 03:43 AM
On Longhorn, I meant the Bliss one.

Raynold
29-06-2005, 03:36 PM
to raven, swichtblade...
is there any new progress on 9500 skinning tecknics?
from this state (for me..), the only matter is to find a good image for skin background....

Raynold
01-07-2005, 02:14 PM
my next longhorn skin...

Regi
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Good one, Raynold. Switch, how's it going with the Imperial Red skin as well as the Oggplay version?

SwitchBlade
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Kinda coming to the conclusion that you never can solve all the bugs. All error and warning messages are illegible still but gettign there slowly.

Raynold
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
switchblade, I'm waiting.......

Regi
10-07-2005, 12:07 PM
C'est la vie then. The effort alone is most admirable Ü

futurecom
15-07-2005, 11:42 AM
hello, i'm new member here
i've been read about the skin, and tutorial also
u guys has done a really great job in skinning, especially switch and rave, but not forgetting the other :)

i have a little question, i hope u guys can help me
how to change the text color in the top of communicator which says "Friday 15th July 2005" ?? i have a little troube if i applied background with dark color

as i tried to edit the skn file, i add "3 0 255 0" string, it only change the text icon in the front, but won't change the "Friday 15th ..."

thanks, i hope the reply would be soon :)

gelloo2006
18-07-2005, 04:41 PM
thx

vickyshahri
22-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Any new skins friends??? its been a long long time...

Regi
26-07-2005, 01:27 PM
It has been a long time! Even the wallpapers in the "gallery" section don't seem to be updated anymore.

Raynold
04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
if you want new skins, feel free to try my skin...... but remember "dont sell them..."
[URL removed]

Raynold
04-08-2005, 05:56 PM
URL is not allowed ?
sorry then...

Raven
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
No, that URL is not allowed here. You should know by now that we don't allow linking to illegal material (warez) on this site. If you want to share your skins with us, you can post them here. :)

Raynold
05-08-2005, 05:30 AM
I'll keep it in mind, raven...
so please try this skin... :)

vickyshahri
05-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes Raynold u r right...even i m of the opinion that these skins should not be sold...i m with you...Raynold ur Beatle skin is good...but can u post more 3D skins...thanks brother...

Raynold
06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
thanks for ur comment.. you know,good image is hard to find..... ;)
how about trying an erotic skin? :redface:

vickyshahri
07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Good one Raynold...keep it up....hoping for some more good skins...how about some with brighter colours!

mugen_jon
08-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi, did you guys encountered problem such as SymbianWare PowerFile cannot be used after we changed the skin ??

Thanks

Raynold
08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
it's really take a long steps everytime we want to change skin
I'm thingking about making a single skin with multiple wallpapers that fit each other...
any idea?