View Full Version : wifi in 9300

pitucas
04-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Since 9300 has no wifi, i just wondering if is possible to support wifi via a USB device and if someone knows about any project in course, since wifi is a must for me in some situations and i dont like the bulky size of 9500.

Thanks

steve36
04-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Whilst the idea seems sensible, surely the inconvenience of carrying the 9300 and the bluetooth WI-FI adaptor may negate the convenience of the smaller 9300.

Also I suspect that the bluetooth-WIFI adaptor would require a powerful and heavy battery to power both comms being used at the same time.

I suppose if it was for occasional use then the thought of carrying the smaller 9300 for 95% of the time may be quite attractive to a lot of potential customers.

Steve

pitucas
04-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Whilst the idea seems sensible, surely the inconvenience of carrying the 9300 and the bluetooth WI-FI adaptor may negate the convenience of the smaller 9300.

Also I suspect that the bluetooth-WIFI adaptor would require a powerful and heavy battery to power both comms being used at the same time.

I suppose if it was for occasional use then the thought of carrying the smaller 9300 for 95% of the time may be quite attractive to a lot of potential customers.

Steve

Sorry about my mistake betwen bluetooth and usb. What i mean is a device connected throgh the usb port of 9300. Of coure im not planning to carry the USB device in a day to day basis, itīs just for use in some, seldom and predictable, situations to access the internet( obviously to run away from high fares of gprs)or mount vpns trough my office.

jah
04-12-2004, 11:02 AM
@pictus

Nokia claim that there survey showed little interest in WiFi for the main segement for the 9300, that is, the busiuness user. The main requirement seems to be for a small device with PDA & Blackberry functions. Now it would be okay if in the UK we had EDGE but we don't, it seems EDGE will be popular in the USA and some parts of Europe. Having a 9500 I couldn't move to a phone without WiFi. Samsung have annouced a low power (53% lower power usage) WiFi chip for phones and they predict to have phones with this chip shipping next year.

steve36
04-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Actually I quite like the idea of a smaller phone, with lower battery impact communicating through bluetooth to an external WI-FI box, I might buy one if someone was to develop one.

This would improve the battery life massively as I believe that bluetooth battery usage is quite small.

I just wish that the 9500 had headset profile to dynamically connect, so saving me some effort every time I go away from the headset and back again.

One thing that might be quite good would be a bluetooth to external 3G communication module to allow some future-proofing. As it is currently this has been launched on 'last years' technology to some extent. Especially when 3G (when it works), appears to be quite cheap compared to GPRS.

Steve.

jah
04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Actually I quite like the idea of a smaller phone, with lower battery impact communicating through bluetooth to an external WI-FI box, I might buy one if someone was to develop one.

This would improve the battery life massively as I believe that bluetooth battery usage is quite small.

I just wish that the 9500 had headset profile to dynamically connect, so saving me some effort every time I go away from the headset and back again.

One thing that might be quite good would be a bluetooth to external 3G communication module to allow some future-proofing. As it is currently this has been launched on 'last years' technology to some extent. Especially when 3G (when it works), appears to be quite cheap compared to GPRS.

Steve.

I am sure you are aware that the current version of BT is limited to data bandwidth of about 1mbit and I think there are plans to extend this to 2mbits, while WiFi is theoretically as low as 11 mbits per sec.

amf
05-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Needs wifi but doesn't like the 9500? I just can't understand some people. The 9300 isn't even available yet and already looking for a wireless module for the pop-port? Oh my... We must understand that there is never going to be a perfect PDA/Phone. The manufacturers would go out of business if they come up with one! (Who would buy the newer models if a "perfect" phone is already available.)

Let's just buy a phone if we want it. If we don't, then don't spend money on it. It's that simple.

pitucas
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Needs wifi but doesn't like the 9500? I just can't understand some people. The 9300 isn't even available yet and already looking for a wireless module for the pop-port? Oh my... We must understand that there is never going to be a perfect PDA/Phone. The manufacturers would go out of business if they come up with one! (Who would buy the newer models if a "perfect" phone is already available.)

Let's just buy a phone if we want it. If we don't, then don't spend money on it. It's that simple.

I havent said that "I dond like the 9500". For me itīs the best mobile in the market, but is a litle bulky. The ideal mobile phone for me is a 9300 with wifi, thatīs why the question in this forum. I dont undestant how nokia is capable of launch a business mobile without wifi. The wifi tech is spreded in home and in offices without costs, and now even arround most important sites, at low costs, in the country.

vossii
07-12-2004, 04:59 PM
There are wifi adapters for a SDIO slot (about 100 euro)
The 9300 has an sd Slot but i don't find any information abaout compatibility by 9300.
Symbian series 80 rev. 2 Platform-Paper says there is support for sdio but i don't know if nokia supports it and if a sdio - wifi adapter fits into the 9300 sd slot.

N/A
07-12-2004, 05:11 PM
The 9300 has an MMC slot, not SD.

liaonet
07-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Possio make all kinds of gateways including wifi to bluetooth to edge etc.

http://www.possio.com/scripts/spread.asp?dynfile=first_3g_router&id=english&dh=6

pitucas
07-12-2004, 10:55 PM
IMHO the best affordable and portable solution is a wifi gateway trough the USB port. There are cheaper adapters to Windows and Linux, like this, on the market.

The Posio solution is, a superior solution, more operator dedicated.

liaonet
08-12-2004, 02:04 PM
IMHO the best affordable and portable solution is a wifi gateway trough the USB port. There are cheaper adapters to Windows and Linux, like this, on the market.

The Posio solution is, a superior solution, more operator dedicated.

True and for the USB port to work the communicator would have to be a USB host and not just a USB client.

I may be wrong but a quick glance of the specs did not say it was usb host compatible.

I guess if you can hook up a USB printer to the communicator then it is USB host compatible and <i did not find anything saying you could in the docs just a rumor on another site.

FYI epson photosmart printers now have a host port so you can plug in a bluetoth dongle and then send pictures directlx from anx phoen to the printer.