View Full Version : ...the horror....

raytoei
01-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi,

having successfully isynced my K700i to the Mac, I had a rude shock to discover that my spanking new N9500 was not compatible with my Mac OS X, then all the Horror memories came flooding back.... the horror back in year 2000 trying to get my N9200 working with OS9 (and VPC 3), the horror of SMS/Infraredding every single Contact back to my N9200, the horror in 2003 when iSync lost contacts with my P800, the horror to think that iSync could get things wrong or worse, mess your contacts up....

after exhausting several options, I finally did a iSync of my K700 to my dot net, ibook and then proceeded to bluetooth 1/3 of my address book (all 150 of them), slowly, painfully, noting that even though address book allows you to export all the addresses into one big VCF file, the N9500 still takes only the first entry.

Usage problems and quirks aren't ironed out completely, and I think it must be me:

* why does web browser ask you which ISP to connect to but Email doesn't ?

* Why can't I change the fields of "Telephone" type to "Mobile" type ? I currently have to cut and paste the numbers.

* The phone is not easy to navigate with the outside joystock.

All In All, I am a person with low expectations, so I am reasonably happy with my N9500.

cheers!

raytoei

cathcart
02-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi,

Usage problems and quirks aren't ironed out completely, and I think it must be me:

* why does web browser ask you which ISP to connect to but Email doesn't ?

Because cleverly enough nokia have copped that your outgoing smtp server might differ when you change network (usually a smtp mail server only allows a specific set of ip's to connect to it to stop spammers, otherwise it is called an open relay). Under your e-mail account settings there is a "Roaming" tab, here you can define alternative access methods eg. getting work e-mail when you're at home/starbucks. The 9500 also has an option to automatically select your second backup mail setting if the first is unavailable. Note you can also set your browser not to ask which network you want to use and automatically connect to the best available (annoying if you accidentally connect to a high priced gprs connection)

David C.