View Full Version : 9500 and Mac

faldo
29-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I have noticed many Mac users in this forum. I wonder if anyone found a way to sync the 9500 with Mac OsX.
I manage to exchange files with bluetooth connection, but did not find a way to sync contacts and calendar.
Any idea?

gounin
29-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I have noticed many Mac users in this forum. I wonder if anyone found a way to sync the 9500 with Mac OsX.
I manage to exchange files with bluetooth connection, but did not find a way to sync contacts and calendar.
Any idea?

I am another Mac user and 9500 fan
Normally my 9500 will arrive this Thursday, begining of a long week end !
Why not a Mac/9500 group within tis forum ?

cathcart
29-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Apple's isync (http://www.apple.com/isync/) should work with the 9500 as it's all besed on SyncML, it should be able to sync over bluetooth and possibly wifi.
To transfer files apart from bluetooth (slow) you could try p3nfs, i have this working with linux (over wifi with the series 60 binary installed on the 9500 - you'll need to edit the nfsapp.ini on the 9500 in the system directory to select the correct ip to sync with), to get the p3nfs client to compile on mac some details and precompiled binaries can be found here (http://dcsmith77.spymac.net/p800/p800.html). This will give you good speeds (i'm getting 3megabit/sec with bad wifi coverage), not a particularly eyecandy-friendley solution though.

David C.

faldo
30-11-2004, 07:53 AM
iSync does not recognize the 9500. I tried with bluetooth and with the USB cable.

As per the file transfer I think I'll stay with the "slow" bluetooth, since the way you suggest is a bit too tricky for me.

franconi
30-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I am another Mac user and 9500 fan
Normally my 9500 will arrive this Thursday, begining of a long week end !

Please keep us posted then! If it turns out that I can not sync calendar and addresses, I probably won't buy it :-(

paolo9500
30-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I can confirm that iSync doesn't seem to work with the 9500.

FWIW, I've been triyng for the last couple of days to use Nokia PCPuite on emulation with VirtualPC and Win2K, but no matters how I try the virtual machine doesn't see the phone and PCSuite can't connect.

I'll keep you posted if I manage to get to the bottom of this....

Peace

P.

fuoriporta
30-11-2004, 06:14 PM
MUST BE A 9500/MAC POST! Perfect, because everyone can have news... for example, there's an app that seems to be close to sync at least the contacts, but I've already contacted the developer (he's italian) and he says that the problem go over the possibility of every developer not supported by Nokia. Nokia itself released Nokia collector and, INCREDIBLY, it support all file synchin' but contacts and calendar!!! I've also noted that the app sync on 9500, through wi-fi can see the powerbook, but starting the sync it searchs for "C:" disk... so it point to nothing for us. If we could only find the file that say to the sync app to point to "C:", we could try to modify it and point it to addresses and iCal in mac...

def
30-11-2004, 08:42 PM
I am sure there is a way to get the sync done now that series 40 has been put to rest. (I think the 9500 and macs are made for each other.) It involves some terminal work and tricking the mac to think it is looking for a series 60 phone. On the other hand, the collector is out: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,67269,00.html which shows there is a little hope and Tiger is supposed to be able to find any device no matter what it is. We'll see.

bluestar
30-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Wonderful, just downloaded the collector which installed on the mac and connected instantly to the nokia 9500 !!
But starting from there, no success in trying to access the 9500 files with it, it syncs but nothing appears, still trying though ....

bluestar
30-11-2004, 09:50 PM
If someone (or why not nokia) could just tweak it so that we have access to the full file system of the Nokia 9500 through this collector, this would perfectly replace the PC Suite and any Virtual PC impossible arrangement :-)

fuoriporta
01-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Wonderful, just downloaded the collector which installed on the mac and connected instantly to the nokia 9500 !!
But starting from there, no success in trying to access the 9500 files with it, it syncs but nothing appears, still trying though ....

you finde them with file manager in your folders on communicator

bluestar
01-12-2004, 12:49 PM
you finde them with file manager in your folders on communicator

mmm..... what do you mean ? the purpose is to access the files FROM the Mac in order to sync them with Collector ....

fuoriporta
01-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I mean that the files are not in the message window like with bluetooth manager file transfer from mac, but they're sent directly to the folder.

bluestar
01-12-2004, 07:35 PM
ok I checked it and the files are really transferred directly to "my files" in the communicator, however, I cannot see any files or folders from the 9500 in the my collector window.
Do you have the same pb ?
I mean once the file is transferred it just disappear from the collector nokia 9500 window, so real sync is not easy to achieve

fuoriporta
01-12-2004, 07:56 PM
yes, it's the same for me... in fact i'm not using it...!

paolo9500
01-12-2004, 08:47 PM
ok I checked it and the files are really transferred directly to "my files" in the communicator, however, I cannot see any files or folders from the 9500 in the my collector window.
Do you have the same pb ?
I mean once the file is transferred it just disappear from the collector nokia 9500 window, so real sync is not easy to achieve

Same here - it actually seems to do nothing more than a simple Bluetooth transfer, so I'm not going to use it either... :-((

Peace

P

gounin
14-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Received my 9500 Friday

After a long week end I can say :

- Tranfering data from 9210i to 9500 was simple and OK (MMC + Data Mover + IR) and I got everything : settings, files, contacts . . . . etc

Connecting with the Mac G5 under 10.3.6 was both a good surprise and a lot of frustration !
- Good surprise : BT connexion was easy and immediate
Transfering files both ways works perfect with .jpeg, text files (notes) and every information one by one (adress book) or softwares downloaded from the Mac and transferred, openned and installed on the 9500 (Rebooter, Converter, Zip manager, Time Mate)
- Special mention for Excel, as I red somewhere on this forum, but you only need to open your Excel fils in Open Office save them, and then transfer, work on the 9500, save and transfer again on the mac :it works both sides (very slow since there is this convertion operation)

- Frustration : no iSync with Calendar and Adress book.

- Transfering by BT from Calendar is strange : it transfered about 50 % of the informations, the rest beeing "unreadable" Therefore it is not seriously usable

- GPRS was easy with "Setting Wizzard" bur GRPS in not so fast !

- Mail and fax and SMS : OK
- pdf attached files are OK after loading Acrobat reader from the Nokia CD (why dont they load it directly on the 9500 ?)
Internet : Opera: the pages dont show correctly (php, filling a form. . ) Works only with basic html

- I ordered a WLAN card from Apple store and will tell you more about his connexion when I receive and test it

Thats alll for today
Hope it helps
Still asking for a Mac group on this forum

gounin
14-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Add to my previous post :

Nokia Collector does not work

Remote (this would be the best !) does not work. But I think I understood that it works only by WLAN, not by BT ? ?? ?

bidders
24-12-2004, 04:20 PM
After watching this forum a bit, I have tried using Mobical www.mobical.net

It works brilliantly, and I can share with mac and pc users at home & work.

Very user friendly interface, nice and quick, automatic setup on 9500

Synching with iCal with downloaded vCal files works sort of, but new version expected soon