View Full Version : Is the 9500 Slow?

Squeek
26-11-2004, 08:11 PM
Just read the 'part 2' review for the 9500 and noticed some comments about the 150mhz processor being a little slow. How have you lot found the speed, especially switching between programs such as contacts and agenda? I still haven't found a machine to better the Psion5 MX (though I use a P910 nowadays) , I just loved the 5's keyboard, larger screen, speed and functionality...does the 9500 compare?

steve36
26-11-2004, 08:18 PM
It's a bit slower that the series 5, but that's using WI-FI/phone, 65k colour screen, 80Mb memory, 1Gb memory card.

I think it's a bit slower than my old iPAQ, but that also was not using WI-FI.

Steve.

richarde
27-11-2004, 01:16 AM
I was wondering when someone would post about the 9500 being slow - I completely agree. I've had the phone/PDA for a week now, & love it to bits, but I find it _much_ slower than my 9210i, particularly on screen refresh when changing from one in-built application to another (i.e. pressing application hotkeys above the main keyboard).

I tested one against the other this afternoon, & I'm really not imagining it!

For all that, I _love_ the 9500 - it's the first PDA I've got really excited about since the Psion Series 5 in 1997, & before that the Psion Series 3 in 1992. Imho, the 9500 is the Psion Series 8, or whatever - I really feel I've just bought the Psion I always wanted!! Now _there's_ praise!!

Richard

jazzy1
27-11-2004, 08:01 AM
9500 it's my first communicator i like it very much, but "squeek" wht said above i'm completely agree with her ,9500 it's too slow when switching between some application's $ it's hang's too much .

Squeek
27-11-2004, 09:11 AM
That's a real shame that all replies note that the 9500 is noticeably not up to speed. I just don't get it how they can release a phone that is underpowered for it's built in apps, I could understand it if you loaded a 3rd party app that required heavy duty processing, but being slow switching between bulit in apps borders on ridiculous, in 2004 this should be instantanious. I bought a 9210 a few years back to replace the 5mx but couldn't believe how slow that was and always running out of memory. I'm also especially dissapointed that the 9500 isn't rock solid stable, it was always a feature of Psion and Symbian that they didn't crash, it was Windows CE that done that. Sounds like i'm gonna have to stick with the P910.... :mad: i was so looking forward to the 9500 too :mad:

TheJoker
27-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I agree, after using a P800 and a 9210 before that, I think that the 9500 is very slow - I was hoping it was just my imagination... :(

Tomahawk
27-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I have to agree - in absolute terms 9500 seems slow vs 9210i although that is subjective - I haven't measured it. However, speed is well down compared with my expectations for a next generation machine. I still love the thing - I guess I'll be there in line when they roll out the 9500i with a faster processor. On the plus side, they seem to have cracked the memory issue - 80 Mb on the 9500 and 1Gb+ on MMC should be sufficient for most of us.

manu407
28-11-2004, 06:01 PM
After I bought 9500 I was very excited to see such device long after my Sharp Zaurus 5800. However, after synching about 2800 Contacts and 200 calendat entries my 9500 hanged frequently and became terribly slow. I loved the device but I had to return it.
I am wondering if there are different models of 9500. Mine was Chinese. Anybody with a different make?

amf
29-11-2004, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure if it is just me or what but I copied (not backed up) my 9500's contacts to the MMC card and used it instead of the contacts database on the phone... the phone, I feel, is now much faster (or is it just my imagination)...

I also think that the hardware part of the 9500 is not at fault with the percieved sluggishness and slow response of the device. The programming of the apps is almost always at fault. In this case, the native apps (like web, control panel, file manager, etc..) may not have been fully optimized by Nokia. Try apps like Adobe viewer, Mobi reader, Office apps, Code vault, etc. and they respond almost instantaniously.

smythg
29-11-2004, 05:24 PM
For me the speed of switching between running apps is not too bad and acceptable.

For me the biggest performance problem is in Messaging. It takes about 2 seconds to open an e-mail, whether it is 1KB or 20KB. Going to the next or previous message is no faster as it appears to go back to the list and then open the next/previous message, all taking about 3 seconds.

I suspect as mentioned by others it is more down to the Messaging application rather than the 9500 itself. Opening the same e-mails on an old Series 60 phone such as the Nokia 7650 seems to be faster than the 9500.

The performance/efficiency of working in Messaging is made worse by the fact the fonts are so large. Whenever I open an e-mail to me I have to do about 8-clicks on the cursor down while it scrolls past the e-mail header info and the "Hello Fred".

On the plus side for Messaging I do like the bult-in support for opening Excel etc. attachments.

I do like the 9500 hardware wise. Great connectivity with WiFi etc, great keyboard and screen, but from the last few days use I may end up sticking with my Palm PDA to do e-mail. Even going via Bluetooth and GPRS to a mobile I am able to check about 3-4 e-mails in the time it takes to do just one on the 9500. Opening an e-mail is instant (tenth of a second maybe) plus I get to see much more text from an e-mail or more e-mails listed as well.

I have not given up on the 9500 just yet. Hopefully some third party will write a good/faster e-mail client for the 9500 as I think the 9500 does have great potential. ALso there is no doubt with WiFi and the keyboard it does beat other devices I have used when you actually need to reply to e-mails with more than just a word or two, or if you want to handle large e-mails.

Raven
29-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Hopefully some third party will write a good/faster e-mail client for the 9500

Well, you could try e-mailing Lonely Cat Games (http://www.lonelycatgames.com/) and ask them to port ProfiMail (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&platformId=4&productType=2&productId=143744&sectionId=0&catalog=1&topSectionId=-1) over to Series 80.

And while you're at it, please ask for a SmartMovie (http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=308&jid=466A89BD6EAB5F69D2A97AF4581X97C3&platformId=4&productType=2&productId=112971&sectionId=0&catalog=1&topSectionId=-1) port. :)

mulog
02-12-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if it is just me or what but I copied (not backed up) my 9500's contacts to the MMC card and used it instead of the contacts database on the phone... the phone, I feel, is now much faster (or is it just my imagination)...

I also think that the hardware part of the 9500 is not at fault with the percieved sluggishness and slow response of the device. The programming of the apps is almost always at fault. In this case, the native apps (like web, control panel, file manager, etc..) may not have been fully optimized by Nokia. Try apps like Adobe viewer, Mobi reader, Office apps, Code vault, etc. and they respond almost instantaniously.

amf,
How do you move /copy Contacts to the card. Does the software read Contacts from card? Do you delete from the main memory?
Can u try shifting back to main memory and try the speed again?
How many Contacts do u have?
If this helps I will repurchase the unit that I returned

[FIN]
09-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I have to agree - in absolute terms 9500 seems slow vs 9210i although that is subjective - I haven't measured it. However, speed is well down compared with my expectations for a next generation machine. I still love the thing - I guess I'll be there in line when they roll out the 9500i with a faster processor. On the plus side, they seem to have cracked the memory issue - 80 Mb on the 9500 and 1Gb+ on MMC should be sufficient for most of us.

9500 is "measurably" slower than 9210i. Browsing through a typical month in calendar's monthly view took 15 seconds with my old 9210i and now with the 9500 it takes 35 secs!!! Slow as hell. Took it twice for repairs, resetting and reinstalling factory settings was the only thing done and after that I requested a new one. They opened my 9500 up and changed the insides leaving me with my old covers and old battery base plate. The new one is as slow as the old one.

These suck too
- color options in calendar, stupid pastels that resemble each other, where is bright red, blue, green...
- stroboscopic flashing of the alarm clock, really nice trying to find "stop" button, thank god i'm not an epileptic
- unable to search company names in phone side, now I have to remember what was that gyu's name in the x-company plus now I'm unable to phone any company's call center since I can't find the company. Have to open the big screen and use contacts, really difficult while driving
- no light on phone side when trying to remove key lock, keep hitting wrong buttons (yes I know pressing power button briefly turns lights on, this is just once again an extra work one has to do)
- still no clock in calendar view
- notes have to be browsed vertically and now only two new ones come up, with 9210i it was horisontally and six new ones were visible with one step, extra work
- cursor jumps back and forth in Word-files when moving from one line to another
- why did't they allow smaller font in week view, only two lines visible in one day, with smaller font (ie yearly views month names) would allow 4-5 rows, anyone have only 2 things to do per day all the time??? Even my Palm Vx had better calendar and it was from last millenium...

Nahil
14-12-2004, 03:43 PM
A week of usage and 1800 contacts entered the searching for contacts is painfully slow, almost to the point of feeling that the system has hungup.

Nokia better himprove their next version of software if they are not to lose a Communicator faithful.

HyPeR
16-12-2004, 07:53 AM
do u think this slow behaviour will improve with a software upgrade soon, cause i'm planning to eitehr buy the P910i or the 9500... & am still confused...but i love the commie & its keyboard.

bluestar
16-12-2004, 01:29 PM
the 9500 is not slow even with 2000 contacts if you don't activate advanced search all the time :-)

HyPeR
16-12-2004, 04:33 PM
could one compare or say that the nokia 9500 is as slow as, say the nokia 6600??