View Full Version : 9500 - Good news, bad news and some questions

smythg
24-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I have been trying the 9500 for a few hours now and so far good news and bad news.

The screen and keyboard are great (better than the 9210). The PC Suite appears to be much better than what I have used before with a 9210 and a 7650. It worked straight off for me, even via bluetooth and the Microsoft drivers in XP SP2. Syncing Calendar, contacts etc. About 2000 items all together.

The not so good news is that after a few minutes of use I got the message I had last seen on a 9210 "Out of memory. Close some applications" when trying to retrieve POP3 e-mail. I thought the 9500 had loads of memory. The only software I have installed is PsiLoc Hotspot Finder and the memory check says I have 78MB free. I gues sthis is storage rather than execution memory. Not sure how to check execution memory.

On the WiFi side this is the killer feature for me. The 9500 finds all the access points, but so far I have not been able to connect to one. My own access point use WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption. It finds the network but does not connect. AFter a few tries it crashes with an error and I end up having to take the battery out.

Maybe I have a pre-production 9500. The About screen in Control Panel Extras says "4.44(1)". I assume this is the firmware level. Anyone know if this is the correct level for a production 9500?

One other question. How do you find out the MAC address of the WiFi card? I need this so it can be authorised on some of the wireless networks I use.

Summary for me is: If I can get get WiFi working and it becomes stable then I think the 9500 is going to be great phone, and a huge improvement over the 9210 and a worth replacment to another other phone/PDA I have used. If the 9300 had WiFi support I might go for that to have a smaller phone, but as not I would go for the 9500 over the 9300.

TheJoker
24-11-2004, 10:58 AM
On the WiFi side this is the killer feature for me. The 9500 finds all the access points, but so far I have not been able to connect to one. My own access point use WPA-PSK with TKIP encryption. It finds the network but does not connect. AFter a few tries it crashes with an error and I end up having to take the battery out.

Maybe I have a pre-production 9500. The About screen in Control Panel Extras says "4.44(1)". I assume this is the firmware level. Anyone know if this is the correct level for a production 9500?

One other question. How do you find out the MAC address of the WiFi card? I need this so it can be authorised on some of the wireless networks I use.

You've just given me a few ideas!! :D

I couldn't get my communicator to connect to my WiFi either... and after you mentioned mac-address I realised that I've got mac-filtering enabled. d'OH! You'll find the MAC address under the battery - there's also all the other number that you might need (like bluetooth).

I also checked my firmware version and that's 4.44(1) just like yours.

Maybe I'll get it to connect tonight when I'm at home... :)

smythg
24-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Got the MAC address so I will try that tonight. Not sure if it will help as I tried turning off MAC filtering on the router and it still would not connect. Which leads me to a more basic question.

Is the only way to connect to a WiFi network by using the web browser or e-mail? Or is there some other method to specfically make a connection?

whistler
24-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Got the MAC address so I will try that tonight. Not sure if it will help as I tried turning off MAC filtering on the router and it still would not connect. Which leads me to a more basic question.

Is the only way to connect to a WiFi network by using the web browser or e-mail? Or is there some other method to specfically make a connection?

Hai all,

I am new in this forum, so be gentle allright... :)

smythg...try to connect to the router without encryption, ssid broadcast on. If you can connect to the router, then try switching the encryption on...one by one(begin with wep). So that you can check what are the problems.

hope this helps.

TheJoker
24-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Hai all,

I am new in this forum, so be gentle allright... :)

smythg...try to connect to the router without encryption, ssid broadcast on. If you can connect to the router, then try switching the encryption on...one by one(begin with wep). So that you can check what are the problems.

hope this helps.

This is the route I'm going to have to go... Hope everybody else will have patience with me when I kill their connection.... :eek:

Delta737
24-11-2004, 01:08 PM
About the "Message" app giving you an out of memory notification: I've heard more people that have a similar problem. It seems to be a bug...

dubbs
24-11-2004, 01:15 PM
It is. It has happened a couple of times to me and it's a battery-out job everytime.

smythg
25-11-2004, 03:55 PM
I tried connecting last night with a fully open network - no encryption, no MAC filterimg, no hidden SSID. I could NOT connect to the network, even though it was listed as "Open 11Mbit" etc. Messaging would just displaying the connecting message but after 10 minutes no change. Telling it to use GPRS it was a connection straight away.

I then tried turning of automatic I address (DHCP) in the Internet connection Advanced settings and entered a specific IP address and subnet etc. This connected and e-mail downloaded!

I then tried the web browser but it hung. So I went back to Messaging, disconnected, back to Web but t still would not connect. So I tried just connecting from Messaging again and it now it did not work!!!!

I have heard another report that WiFi works, but not using DHCP. Anyone else tried not using DHCP?

TheJoker
25-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I tried connecting last night with a fully open network - no encryption, no MAC filterimg, no hidden SSID. I could NOT connect to the network, even though it was listed as "Open 11Mbit" etc. Messaging would just displaying the connecting message but after 10 minutes no change. Telling it to use GPRS it was a connection straight away.

I then tried turning of automatic I address (DHCP) in the Internet connection Advanced settings and entered a specific IP address and subnet etc. This connected and e-mail downloaded!

I then tried the web browser but it hung. So I went back to Messaging, disconnected, back to Web but t still would not connect. So I tried just connecting from Messaging again and it now it did not work!!!!

I have heard another report that WiFi works, but not using DHCP. Anyone else tried not using DHCP?

I got mine to work last night - entered the WEP key very carefully, added my MAC to the AP's Filter, then it connected.
See my other thread about the different connections:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30722

Then I must have done something because it just did not want to connect - same thing this morning - and I've even got the battery out.

On the cool side; I've now received my 1GB MMC card - works a treat! :D

smythg
25-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Which wireless router are you using? Mine is a Draytek Vigor 2600G.

alomar
25-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Another news, some of the APs does not accept the MAC address of the Nokia 9500, my Linksys WRT55AG does a MAC address verification before it add it to its filter list, I'm contacting their technical support

TheJoker
26-11-2004, 09:26 AM
I've got a Belkin 11mbps access point - I'll try to upgrade the firmware during the w/e and see if my recent connection problems are solved.

smythg
26-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Then I must have done something because it just did not want to connect - same thing this morning - and I've even got the battery out.

After some more tests last night progress, and a possible clue which may help others.

HotSpot Finder and the Control Panel can find my network, but I could not get a connection. I tried taking the battery out but still no change. It would just wait on the connecting dialog.

I ended up taking the battery out again and it was about an hour before I put it back in. Went in to Messaging and it connected to the network (W in a box). :) Web browsing was working as well. So I tried it with WEP on and that worked as well. Then WPA and it worked, displaying a message "calculating pre-shared key" before connecting.

Unfortunately after that it would not connect again via WPA and did not display the calculating preshared key message (maybe it only needs to once. So I took out the battery and tried again but it still would not work. :con?

What was different to the previous time? It did not ask to enter the date/time on opening. So I did the original steps.

Battery out for a few minutes
Insert battery and leave for 1-2 mins
Power on but leave closed and leave for 1-2 mins
Open and enter date/time (which it asked for again)

Went in to Messaging and it worked again via WEP. :) :) The battery was running down by now so I put it on to charge and left it.

This morning it was still working via WEP, and also now with the SSID hidden. Not sure if any of this is just a coincidence but the next few days will see. Be interested to hear if this works for anyone else.

There are still some problems I need to work out. Will it now work using DHCP (these tests were with a fixed IP), and can WPA be used reliability, can you turn off WiFi like you can Bluetooth.

Also I am also not sure on how Messaging decides when to download e-mails. I have mine set to download 10KB but sometimes it just downloads headers, sometimes nothing at all even though I know there is some e-mail waiting. But that's another story/thread.

smythg
29-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Update on the above following some more testing.

I have been using WiFi for e-mail and some web fairly reliably over the last couple of days. I have had to remove the battery once to get in working again.

I have puposely tried to keep the other usage of the 9500 simple. I have not started other progrms. Just Messaging, Web and the Control panel.

It is also working on DHCP which is good news.

For me it is still too early to tell whether the WiFi in the 9500 is reliable enough, espcially if you start using the 9500 to its full running other programs etc. Time will tell.

On the speed side. The actual WiFi data transfer seems to be at an acceptable speed. I wish I could say the same for the speed of opening e-mails.

The time it takes to open or reply to an e-mail, plus the fact even the smallest font/zoom level is way too big so you cannot see many messages at a time, are what is holding me back from switching fully to a 9500. The speed espcially.

frankielinked
29-11-2004, 07:06 PM
I have been trying the 9500 for a few hours now and so far good news and bad news.

The screen and keyboard are great (better than the 9210). The PC Suite appears to be much better than what I have used before with a 9210 and a 7650. It worked straight off for me, even via bluetooth and the Microsoft drivers in XP SP2. Syncing Calendar, contacts etc. About 2000 items all together.

The not so good news is that after a few minutes of use I got the message I had last seen on a 9210 "Out of memory. Close some applications" when trying to retrieve POP3 e-mail. I thought the 9500 had loads of memory. The only software I have installed is PsiLoc Hotspot Finder and the memory check says I have 78MB free. I gues sthis is storage rather than execution memory. Not sure how to check execution memory.

Summary for me is: If I can get get WiFi working and it becomes stable then I think the 9500 is going to be great phone, and a huge improvement over the 9210 and a worth replacment to another other phone/PDA I have used. If the 9300 had WiFi support I might go for that to have a smaller phone, but as not I would go for the 9500 over the 9300.

liaonet
07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Update on the above following some more testing.

I have been using WiFi for e-mail and some web fairly reliably over the last couple of days. I have had to remove the battery once to get in working again.

I have puposely tried to keep the other usage of the 9500 simple. I have not started other progrms. Just Messaging, Web and the Control panel.

It is also working on DHCP which is good news.

For me it is still too early to tell whether the WiFi in the 9500 is reliable enough, espcially if you start using the 9500 to its full running other programs etc. Time will tell.

On the speed side. The actual WiFi data transfer seems to be at an acceptable speed. I wish I could say the same for the speed of opening e-mails.

The time it takes to open or reply to an e-mail, plus the fact even the smallest font/zoom level is way too big so you cannot see many messages at a time, are what is holding me back from switching fully to a 9500. The speed espcially.

I have had success with several different AP's but totally failed to get it working with an old Orinioco RG1000 that is completely open has anyone else had problems with specific AP's also has anyone had a problem where using the messaging app it tries to fidn a gateway and then when one is not present fails to switch to GPRS?

alomar
07-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I had a similar problem with the ROR1000 and normal NEW WL clients, some of the clients worked and newer ones did not work, then I upgraded the ROR1000 firmware for both the PCMCIA card and the device itself, then everything worked great, try to upgrade the RG1000 firmware.

Regards,

liaonet
08-12-2004, 02:13 PM
I had a similar problem with the ROR1000 and normal NEW WL clients, some of the clients worked and newer ones did not work, then I upgraded the ROR1000 firmware for both the PCMCIA card and the device itself, then everything worked great, try to upgrade the RG1000 firmware.

Regards,

Thanks for that and my RG -1000 has the latest firmware I found it to be a very weird problem. I use a MAC as my DHCP server and the Nokia got hold of an IPV6 address from the mac. I have since set the Nokia to a manual IP address and it is working fine.

Interestingly to find the IP address of the Nokia out I had to hunt for ages.

Turns out that once your open an internet connection using WEB you have to hit Desk then Tools the run Conn. Manger hit Menu and then Tools then IP address.

You then get all the info you would get on a PC by running ipconfig.

Had to manually set the DNS servers as well.

IF the communicator picks up an IP V6 address it completelx kills IP V4

I wish I had trace route ftp and Ping