View Full Version : Excel Documents in Office 2003

seal
24-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

I have owned my phone for two days now and only one problem, I can't open excel documents in the PC that have been edited in the 9500. I have asked Nokia and they have no idea, they told me they did a test and it worked on there systems, but they only have Office 2000 not office 2003. Can someone who has office 2003 please transfer an excel file to the phone then open and edit on the phone then try to open it again on the computer from the phone. Anyone if you have time please.

Thanks Seal

Ewan
24-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Hmmm... Office 97 and 2000 have a different file structure to 2003 and XP Office - that uses a form of xHTML. Could be that?

J2theIZZO
24-11-2004, 10:22 AM
I hope this isn't the case as i've been editing excel documents on the 9500 for over an hour yesterday, I haven't transfered back yet though. (I use Office XP), i'll give it a go.

seal
24-11-2004, 10:46 AM
I just install Office 2000 on another computer and tried opening the files and the same I can't open any excel document that has been edited in the 9500.... :mad: :mad: :mad: , this is an expensive phone if you can use it for what it was made for.

Hopefully the tech guys at Nokia will come up with an answer or maybe I am doing something wrong but I doubt it "I am extremely smart" :o :o :icon4: whatever, I wish............ :D

Seal

paulo p
24-11-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm working with Mac G5 - running mac office 2004 - had no problems sending excel docs to and from my 9500, they open up and format ok both ways

Cheers

mck3nzi3
27-11-2004, 07:39 AM
I have Word XP and DON'T open document edit with 9500 !!! :mad: :mad:
Any help about ??

psychoden1
28-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Me too, once I have edited a file word/excel it wont open on my PC, says it is read onle. What to do?

Office 2000. XP sp2

seal
28-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I have spocken to Nokia several times about this issue and they basically have no idea, I am currently waiting for a call back from tech support as you can never get them when you ring, you just get employees that can help you with a "where do I access my phone numbers"....... anything beyond that it's straight through to tech support and their all too busy because they bring out phone that don't function AS PROMISED..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will let you know when they get back to me.

Seal

sahli
29-11-2004, 06:01 PM
SAme for me, neither Excel nor word saved in 2000 version can be opened on my PC (Office 2003 and XP)

THis needs to be escalated and also pushed to the news if Nokia does not act/respond

brosken
30-11-2004, 05:16 AM
SAme for me, neither Excel nor word saved in 2000 version can be opened on my PC (Office 2003 and XP)

THis needs to be escalated and also pushed to the news if Nokia does not act/respond

*RANT MODE ON*

I hope that someone can get this publicised in a big way so Nokia will have to do something to save face :deal:
:call2: Reuters, Theregister.co.uk, cnn, Al Jazeera (for our Arab friends), slashdot, etc... :listen:

I was expecting this with the new 9500, this problem has been around since the 92xx series AFAIK. I'm afraid that Nokia doesn't give a damn about it's customer software problems, like the IR sync that never worked as advertised, Contacts don't sync properly...

I'm just glad they have got a new text format converter so at least I can send something readable while on the road. If someone were to create a 2-way WORKING office converter, they'll probably make a nice penny. *wishfull thinking*

This will be the last communicator for us if they don't do something about their customer support (and we're not the only company...)
I'd rather reboot 2 times/day on something that works then a stable half working machine

*RANT ODE OFF*

BTW: any news on the Belgium release date?

Sven

Delta737
30-11-2004, 09:46 AM
I think this will all be fixed soon (wishfull thinking though).

The review on gsmarena.com also states they're having problems with the Office files, so you guys are definately not alone. And since this is such a big feature of the 9500, I do think Nokia will fix it

upponalle
02-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Found this discussion in another forum:

http://www.9500communicator.com/forum/thread219.html

and it seems that the whole issue is related to Microsoft XP SP2.

Some comments in that thread:

"Sounds to me like XP thinks the file has come in from the internet and has set the zone.marking data stream.
have look at the article(s) below:

http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/artic...ditorialsID=716
http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051 "

"Just ran a test based on what I was reading here and this was my results.

I created a doc on the 9500, saved it in word 97 format and then emailed it to my laptop. I am running XP pro with office 2003 - WITHOUT service pack 2. I have read to many things about it killing photoshop and flash and as a web designer I can't have that. But the good news is that it opened.

So if my test was completed correctly based on the problems you all have been having I would say I have to agree that it is an XP service pack two issues. Which many many software companies are fighting as well."

john-se
05-12-2004, 12:27 PM
me too same thing sp xp2

seal
06-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I just uninstalled Windows XP SP2 off another computer and yes it solves the problem, all excel files work.

But it is still up to Nokia to fix the problem as XP2 was out way before the phone was released so Nokia clearly new about it, even I had the first beta of SP2 just for testing purposes.

I noticed when I uninstalled SP2, about half hour later it showed the icon down the bottom of the screen say updates are ready to install, is it just going to install SP2 back on again automatic.

Regards Seal.

seal
09-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Nokia phoned me back finally today and informed me that YES the 9500 is not conpatable with Windows XP service pack 2 and they are working on a fix now.

So we should see a fix by Christmas 2005........

Ewan
09-12-2004, 11:33 AM
doesn;t change the fact that Word 97 doc files can;t be opeend by the Word 97 filter on the 9500 ;-)

Delta737
09-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Nokia phoned me back finally today and informed me that YES the 9500 is not conpatable with Windows XP service pack 2 and they are working on a fix now.

So we should see a fix by Christmas 2005........

Don't you mean Christmas 2004?? :o

john-se
21-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Don't you mean Christmas 2004?? :o

I'm waiting too.