View Full Version : First charge - how long?

TheJoker
23-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Gents,

How long does the Communicator have to be on charge for the first time?

I'm expecting mine to be delivered today to the office, and I'm wondering if I can plug it in or if I should leave that for home, and let it charge all night.

Any tips and tricks?!

Thanks!

Delta737
23-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Everyone always advises to charge for about 8 hours the first time. So it might be better to charge it overnight

m.tjioe
23-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Mine was fully charged within about 3 hours...

Delta737
23-11-2004, 10:10 AM
I know. The long first charge is just advised by most people. But 3 hours could already be enough...

TheJoker
23-11-2004, 02:48 PM
I know. The long first charge is just advised by most people. But 3 hours could already be enough...

Aarrgh... only 2.5h till workday is over... :P ahahah... typical, I guess I'll have to wait till I get home!

Brilliant service from CPW, BTW... :)

steve36
23-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Joker,
I also had good service from CPW.

I charged mine for 3 hours and it did'nt seem to take any more, i've used it for 4 days, with several hours of WIFI, very good!

One small question, any problem with the catch?
Mine was next to useless, and appeared to worsen over several days.

Also watch out if you try offline mode, my hung and required the battery removing/replacing which is a feat in itself.

Steve.

TheJoker
24-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Joker,
I also had good service from CPW.

I charged mine for 3 hours and it did'nt seem to take any more, i've used it for 4 days, with several hours of WIFI, very good!

One small question, any problem with the catch?
Mine was next to useless, and appeared to worsen over several days.

Also watch out if you try offline mode, my hung and required the battery removing/replacing which is a feat in itself.

Steve.

Steve,

Yeah, the initial charge didn't seem to take that long - didn't have time to monitor it, and I left it on for a long time, but it was done when I needed it.

What catch to you mean? No problems so far...

... but I've experienced a few annoying things (Like ctrl-r doesn't do reply on text messages! Grrrr!)...

steve36
26-11-2004, 08:07 PM
I spoke too soon.
I've just replaced my 9500 due to the catch problem and ran the new one for 4 hours before the low-battery signal started.
I put in on charge 20 hours ago and it claims to be still charging.

I hope this stops soon.

Steve. :frown:

TheJoker
27-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I spoke too soon.
I've just replaced my 9500 due to the catch problem and ran the new one for 4 hours before the low-battery signal started.
I put in on charge 20 hours ago and it claims to be still charging.

I hope this stops soon.

Steve. :frown:

OOpppps... not good news :-( What is this catch problem that you've had?

steve36
27-11-2004, 07:26 PM
I took the battery out, replaced it, charged it, and so far it seems better.
That said it only seems to have held about 4 hours use charge, a lot less than my first battery.

The catch problem seems to have affected a few people.
Basically if you hold the phone by the top does it fall open?
The catch on the 9210 used to hold it closed very tightly, on the 9500 it's quite loose.
On my first phone the catch was very loose. I know it seems trivial but I was worried that it may fall open when in a bag/briefcase so wasting batteries.

So far the new one seems better, not perfect but as it does'nt get progressively worse I'll live with it.
Now I'm going to check if POWER DATA works on the 9500 and knowing my luck watch it crash !

Steve.

Tomahawk
27-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Charge - took about 3 hours out of the box and then got battery full message. Somewhere it says that battery performance improoves over the first three full cycles of cdischarge / recharge. I guess it pays to run the battery well down a few times early in its life. I get preetyy good battery life - haven't measured it but subjectively seems longer than 9210i.

Catch - mine shuts with a firm clunk - a bit like a car door - much more positive and secure than 9210i. The improvement ws one of the 1st things I noticed. The variation in other posts suggests that there is some variability in the build quality.

jah
28-11-2004, 11:50 AM
@Tomahowk + others

when my 9500 was new I charged it for about 5 hours (I normally charge new batteries for 10/12 hours). Now after about a week I am finding I am getting very poor battery performance (or it may be a calibration problem). I have ordered a new battery and I will let this new one charge for 12 hours as recommended by most people and I will be able to compare that battery's performance with my current one. I have also been told not to drain the battery fully, which I have also done! I seem to have broken all the rules and now I am suffering!

comfirm.be
28-11-2004, 12:35 PM
@Jah

Do you mean, for the first times to not fully drain the battery ?

Didn't know that. I think when I get the 9500, I'll let it charge the whole night, it's hard when you get sth new to "ignore" it... But hey, it's better according to what most people say...

Raven
28-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I have also been told not to drain the battery fully

The first 3-4 times you should ALWAYS drain and recharge the battery completely to achieve maximum performance. After that it doesn't matter when you charge it.

jah
28-11-2004, 02:13 PM
@Raven, my experience with my SE P900 & P910 is that three charges of 10/12 hours is important but I only let the battery drain to 10% before charging and I am getting very good battery performance. Perhaps Nokia and SE batteries are slightly different. According to this online guide you should not need to full discharge Li-ion batteries. See what you think: http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp
:cool:

Raven
28-11-2004, 03:12 PM
The article you referred to doesn't mention the initial charge process though. And my experience with a P800 and P900 and a couple of Series 60 phones are the opposite of yours. For the initial charge I've always completely drained and fully recharged the batteries. And once in a while after that I've repeated the process. From my experience, if I keep recharging at say 30% every time, then after a while the battery will start draining faster than it's supposed to from 30% down to 0. I don't have any reports to back that last statement up though, that's just from my own experience. But I've also heard of many others with the same experience.

And, yes, I've also read many times that you shouldn't always completely drain Li-ion batteries. But for the first few initial charges it is vital to do so. And from my experience it is also vital to repeat that process once in a while, if you want the best performance.

I'm not an expert on the subject though, so believe what you want. But I keep reading over and over again just how important it is to completely drain and fully recharge these types of batteries the first few times of use.