View Full Version : The X is dead.

AlfieShooter
27-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, that's it. I can take no more.

I've had my X for just 2 months and I have decided enough is enough. I'm 300 lighter in the wallet and am sporting several bald patches from excessive hair pulling.

The Sendo is back in it's box and has been consigned to the shelf in my home I affectionately call 'Utter Shit' - because that's exactly what this 'phone' - and believe me I use that term in it's loosest possible definition - is.

The Sendo X is an unparalleled disaster. I'm sorry, but it is.

I waited so patiently for this phone. I read all the previews, and was genuinely excited when it arrived.

It looked good, had loads of features, and was set to put some serious power in my pocket.

How wrong was I?

While the X certainly looked the part when I got it out of the box, two months down the line and it's a complete wreck. The screen is not only scratched like an old LP, but there is more dust and flakes under it than on a lepars collar.

The centre lights don't illuminate, the silver joy-pad ring has lost almost all its silver, and now the actual metal bit at the top on the front is peeling back.

Load of features??? Don't make me laugh. What software it has is shoddy, the camera is appalling and the video camera I can only assume is some sort of joke.

The MP3 player crackles intermittently, sound is patchy, and almost no third party software runs.

The only piece of software I'll miss is Funny Farmer.

Now, I could perhaps put up with all that, biding my time until the firmware upgrades sorted it all out, if only it functioned as a communication device.

But let's be honest folks; it just doesn't cut the mustard as a basic phone.

Reception is horrendous and GPRS sketchy at best.

There would be times when I could dial out but no one could dial in and there would be times people could dial in, but I couldn't dial out.

Most of the time however, no one could dial in or out and if it lost its signal completely I literally had to reboot the damn thing to get some sort of connection.

I posted in an earlier message that what I find hard to accept is; how can a phone with so many obvious bugs and glitches ever be released?

Am I to believe the testers at Sendo never once came across any of the problems every single one of us has experienced?

I noticed big problems with the handset almost immediately out of the box, and certainly within an hour of using it.

We've basically been mugged by Sendo. We all ought to be on the payroll as it's us who are test driving the Sendo X, something I don't mind doing, but not having paid 300 for the privilege.

I don't doubt that in time, with firmware release after firmware release - although after Sendo's admission of Vodafone being it's priority I presume firmware releases for the rest of us will be few and far between - the mistakes will eventually be solved, but in the meantime, I'm lumbered with a phone I just can not trust to make and receive calls, and a gaping hole in my bank account.

If I could return it, I would, but I can't; so I've ended up having to shell out on another handset - the very ordinary O2 X3 - a phone which at least can make and take calls.

Sendo is following in the great tradition of British companies - Great on paper, terribly in reality.

Damn Shame.

euphoriauk
27-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Thats you own personal experience.
I have had a Sendo X for a while now and yes, it did have some problems but the latest s/w updates have resolved my issues.
My phone hasn't had as many problems as you and i can use it very well.
I still love it!

stuclark
27-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I still love my phone. A lot of the bugs depend on how you use it and what you use it with.

I've had a wierd bug with the camera and camcorder which I was blaming on the phone, however, after using someone else's SD card, it turns out it was my MMC card all along! (stupid me never thought to test it using the phone's memory)

How many "bugs" are purely down to dodgy memory cards in the phone? Quite a few of mine, that's for sure!

jarold
27-10-2004, 01:23 PM
This is of course your opinion. I've used my X for many months and yes there has been the occasional crash but this has usually been associated with loading software or applications that were not approved for the phone.

Reception-wise I've never had a problem.

With regards to firmware, it is not true to say that everyone else will be left out in the cold because of focus on Vodafone, if anything having Vodafone on board will be a benefit to all. If they want a fix then it is much more likely to get done and generic fixes will benefit everyone.

The firnware is created in a 'generic' form with all the bug-fixes and enhancements in it, it then goes through a testing process and after this is customised for each customer and then their specific changes are tested.

The next firmware release (60D) is undergoing final testing and should be available early next week. This is a major release (unlike the previous release which mostly addressed reception issues)

Paul Taverner
27-10-2004, 07:43 PM
60D)This is a major release (unlike the previous release which mostly addressed reception issues)

Any idea what it will do / add / fix?

Rgds

Paul

alexandra_v
27-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I was doubting between Sendo x and nokia 6630 but after all the comments and problems i read of some sendo x owners i am a little bit discouraged towards the X. of course i also read there are many people that are very satisfied with their sendo x. I expected the X like crazy and waited a while to read peoples comments and i was shocked coming into such comments.....what would be your advice?

SPEEDMAN
28-10-2004, 06:13 AM
talk about exaggeration :rolleyes:

what the hell did you do with your phone to get it scratched like that? mine still looks good.

i suppose you throw it to the ground once and again every day like ?

mine still looks quite new.

!SPEEDMAN
28-10-2004, 07:44 AM
I was doubting between Sendo x and nokia 6630 but after all the comments and problems i read of some sendo x owners i am a little bit discouraged towards the X. of course i also read there are many people that are very satisfied with their sendo x. I expected the X like crazy and waited a while to read peoples comments and i was shocked coming into such comments.....what would be your advice?

The people that hate it have had problems with it nobody else has, or are angry it takes long to get a patch for the problems everybody has. The connection problems when making a phonecall are done with the first patch, and the second patch will fix all the other problems. And this patch is coming out this week, so it's just too cool :-D

i love my x and i use it a lot. To make calls, write memo's on the notebook, wayfinder GPS, calculator, also the currency convertor i find very handy, the calendar which synchronises with outlook express, mp3, foto's, check emails, internet browser, etc etc...

i just love it and i forgive the flaws which will be fixed in a patch update.

all those who can't are just whiners, sry :)

AlfieShooter
28-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Nope, I don't throw it on the floor, and I would imagine nor do the other users who have suffered the exact same wear and tear problems as I have.

Let's be honest now, the patches, although have solved some of the countless problems, they are actually responsible for creating several others, which again, is well documented on this site.

The features the X boasts are very impressive, but c'mon, they're all mouth and no trousers.

The MP3 player DOES crackle for no good reason, reception IS very poor, GPRS IS unreliable, the camera quality IS substandard, and the video IS unusuable.

And these are it's supposed selling points. I'm not going to bother mentioning the multitude of bugs, glitches, and problems while actually using the phone as, erm, a phone.

The phone has some nice touches; the flash is great, Funny Farmer is a hoot, and the voice recognition not bad, but please, these things just aren't enough.

And if the only reason to stick with it is a calculator and a currency converter then I think I made the right decision in ditching it.

Maybe you have all have deeper pockets than me, or maybe it's not as critical to be contactable, but I am just not prepared to live with SO MANY flaws on what is essentially an expensive handset.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying this phone...DON'T, and if that doesn't dissuade you, drop me a line, as I have one to sell.

!Speedman
28-10-2004, 12:04 PM
very subjective comments.

video player is fine by me. Name another phone with perfect smooth videoplay. Imagine what size those movies should have then ! Also the pictures satisfy me. If you think they are bad, that's very subjective.

In the dark you have flash, do other phones really have that better quality in pictures? They don't even HAVE flash !

but again, if you would have imagined a perfect smooth videoplay with immense framerate, sry but that's kinda naive to think so.

I never thought videoplay would have been perfectly smooth or that picture quality would have been the same as my Digital camera. Remember it's still a compact phone.

I've travelled half the world with this phone and i DON'T have the wear and tear you talk about, that's all i can say. And that's an objective comment

alexandra_v
28-10-2004, 12:33 PM
The people that hate it have had problems with it nobody else has, or are angry it takes long to get a patch for the problems everybody has. The connection problems when making a phonecall are done with the first patch, and the second patch will fix all the other problems. And this patch is coming out this week, so it's just too cool :-D

i love my x and i use it a lot. To make calls, write memo's on the notebook, wayfinder GPS, calculator, also the currency convertor i find very handy, the calendar which synchronises with outlook express, mp3, foto's, check emails, internet browser, etc etc...

i just love it and i forgive the flaws which will be fixed in a patch update.

all those who can't are just whiners, sry :)

Thank you for your objective remaks over the phone. Some comments can be so exagerating that they can turn ppl against an appliance but it is always great to hear the both sides of the story.

Thank you

!Speedman
28-10-2004, 12:35 PM
you are welcome,

are you really a girl ? i wonder how many we got here on the forums. :)

AlfieShooter
28-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Name another phone with perfect smooth videoplay.

Although pretty ordinary in all other departments, the O2 X3 video record is completely smooth and is so far in advance of the Sendo it's incredible.

In the dark you have flash, do other phones really have that better quality in pictures? They don't even HAVE flash !.

Again, The O2 X3 has a flash, and it's camera is 1.3 megapixel.

I wanted to like the Sendo X, I really did. I tried and tried to overlook it's short-comings, but at the end of the day, and at 300, it's just not the finished article.

In fact it's so far from being the finished article, I would imagine I could report it to Trade Description's.

!Speedman
28-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Although pretty ordinary in all other departments, the O2 X3 video record is completely smooth and is so far in advance of the Sendo it's incredible.

Again, The O2 X3 has a flash, and it's camera is 1.3 megapixel.

I wanted to like the Sendo X, I really did. I tried and tried to overlook it's short-comings, but at the end of the day, and at 300, it's just not the finished article.

In fact it's so far from being the finished article, I would imagine I could report it to Trade Description's.

then you are happy with the O2 X3 (whatever that is...)

good luck with your new mobile and your new forums about the X3 :)

ajck
28-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Obviously a few people have had bad experiences with the X, and want to sound off about it. It seems a lot more people have had good experiences and are happy with it.

For myself, I've read universally good to excellent reviews of the X in all the leading UK mobile phone mags, and several well respected online mobile websites. The fact that they all agreed it was a great phone really swayed me. Yes, they probably only had the review models a shortish time, but equally they have experienced many different phones and know a good or bad one when they see it. Some reviews had obviously done extensive testing over a couple of weeks, and they tended to give the X higher marks.

Apart from the reviews, I would a.) wait for the latest firmware next week and read the feedback
b.) Go in a shop (i.e. Vodafone in the UK) and test it as much as poss myself.

As for the 02 X3, yes it is a nice handset, but not a smartphone and thus nowhere near as flexible with what you can do on it.

Regarding software problems just be grateful Sendo quit using Microsoft's stone-age Windows Mobile software. Then you'd know all about bugs...

Finally, people hark on about it costing 300 - it's cheap or free on contract.

swing
28-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Let's be honest now, the patches, although have solved some of the countless problems, they are actually responsible for creating several others, which again, is well documented on this site. I wonder how many of these problems are Sendo's, and how many are actually Nokia's - my 3650 was over 6 months old when I actually got my second updated firmware (within a week of release) which meant I got notified about voicemail messages. Nokia had the same problem with the 7650, so there was no reason to have the problem again, yet it took them ages to fix - here we are with Sendo doing their best to release what feels like monthly updates (and no visiting Nokia Service Centres and trying to persuade them to update the firmware). The fact Sendo are trying to fix them, and willing to accept feedback are two points over and above Nokia.

Finally, people hark on about it costing 300 - it's cheap or free on contract.Do the sums - even on the Voda online cheapest tariff - 30 for phone and 18 per month adds up to 246 - yes, you get some free calls, but if you already have a well known phone number and are on, say, Orange (with a nice contract) you may or may not use those free minutes (which would cost you no more than 120) - so the phone still has a nominal value of 126. If like me, you would ignore the SIM, it's still 246

Of course, that's still cheaper than 350, which is what Expansys want for the phone.

stuclark
28-10-2004, 09:24 PM
You'd pay exactly the same amount, if not more, for the 7610 on the same tarrif!

alexandra_v
29-10-2004, 07:12 AM
you are welcome,

are you really a girl ? i wonder how many we got here on the forums. :)

Yes I am and I have as much interest for cosmetics and clothes as for technology :-)

!Speedman
29-10-2004, 08:38 AM
that asks for a picture. ;)

send me in pm if you like :D

SPEEDMAN
29-10-2004, 08:47 AM
now i'm logged in.

send me those pictures please :) ;)

alexandra_v
29-10-2004, 09:54 AM
seems i missed you online! ;)

SPEEDMAN
29-10-2004, 10:01 AM
i don't have to be online for that but i get the message.

as we say in dutch: wie niet waagt niet wint ;) (net gezien dat je nederlandse bent :) )

alexandra_v
29-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey I am not lying, i havent used PM before! But now i know!

SPEEDMAN
29-10-2004, 02:48 PM
i've answered you my dear...

on the top right corner under welcome alexandra, you will see: Private messages.

if you click on it you will see your PM's. :)

epdm
29-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Obviously a few people have had bad experiences with the X, and want to sound off about it. It seems a lot more people have had good experiences and are happy with it.

For myself, I've read universally good to excellent reviews of the X in all the leading UK mobile phone mags, and several well respected online mobile websites. The fact that they all agreed it was a great phone really swayed me. Yes, they probably only had the review models a shortish time, but equally they have experienced many different phones and know a good or bad one when they see it. Some reviews had obviously done extensive testing over a couple of weeks, and they tended to give the X higher marks.

Apart from the reviews, I would a.) wait for the latest firmware next week and read the feedback
b.) Go in a shop (i.e. Vodafone in the UK) and test it as much as poss myself.

As for the 02 X3, yes it is a nice handset, but not a smartphone and thus nowhere near as flexible with what you can do on it.

Regarding software problems just be grateful Sendo quit using Microsoft's stone-age Windows Mobile software. Then you'd know all about bugs...

Finally, people hark on about it costing 300 - it's cheap or free on contract.

OK. I also had some "bad" experiences with it though I didn't keep sounding off. In fact the points mentioned here are always similar and you propably know the saying: "Where smoke is there's bound to be fire"(it sounds much better in Dutch: "Waar rook is, is vuur")

As for reviews. I tend to read them with a pinch of salt. Keep in mind that Voda is heavily "British" influenced and that they probably prefer giving "good points" to fellow British companies. Something the media should have done ages ago too with other fine UK-technology which long went belly up. Anyway just don't literally believe them.

Well Lucky you ppl over there. You seem to have a much wider choice of phones. In Belgium you tend to only see the well-known brands. So I doubt whether the O2 will ever be released here at all. It took ages before the Sharp GX30 came here. It was pure luck that Makro had the Sendo X and that I could try it out (thanks to their easy return policy).

Also what makes a Smartphone a smart phone? I mean I could sync my old T68i also with outlook, it too had a notes-function, it also had voice commands, bluetooth, themes etc... In fact it had everything except for the entertaimetn features like polyphonic ringtones, MP3, camcorder, camera etc... So I don't see why a lets say SE K700i would be less flexible then a Sendo X or Siemens SX1.

In fact I still believe that if SE made a true successor to the T68i with same size, 4096 color screen, polyphonic ringtones and kept all the functions of the T68i at a slightly higher price (T68i costs nowadays about 129 euros so this model would have cost about 150 euros) then they would have had a real winner because not all of us need a camera but do want bluetooth connectivity and calender syncing.

As for the price 444 euros is NOT cheap (though it appears the cheapest of these socalled smartphones) and contracts like you mentioned are non-excistent here (Belgium). I believe in Holland they do have such contracts. Perhaps some fellows from the Netherlands can confirm this.

epdm
29-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Allexandra, you use a picture of a Nokia 6600-series phone. Does that imply that you own or use one?

If you do. Then perhaps you are well fit to comment on the differences and quality between both a Nokia and a Sendo X

Regards,

epdm

SPEEDMAN
30-10-2004, 03:31 AM
OK. I also had some "bad" experiences with it though I didn't keep sounding off. In fact the points mentioned here are always similar and you propably know the saying: "Where smoke is there's bound to be fire"(it sounds much better in Dutch: "Waar rook is, is vuur")

As for reviews. I tend to read them with a pinch of salt. Keep in mind that Voda is heavily "British" influenced and that they probably prefer giving "good points" to fellow British companies. Something the media should have done ages ago too with other fine UK-technology which long went belly up. Anyway just don't literally believe them.

Well Lucky you ppl over there. You seem to have a much wider choice of phones. In Belgium you tend to only see the well-known brands. So I doubt whether the O2 will ever be released here at all. It took ages before the Sharp GX30 came here. It was pure luck that Makro had the Sendo X and that I could try it out (thanks to their easy return policy).

Also what makes a Smartphone a smart phone? I mean I could sync my old T68i also with outlook, it too had a notes-function, it also had voice commands, bluetooth, themes etc... In fact it had everything except for the entertaimetn features like polyphonic ringtones, MP3, camcorder, camera etc... So I don't see why a lets say SE K700i would be less flexible then a Sendo X or Siemens SX1.

In fact I still believe that if SE made a true successor to the T68i with same size, 4096 color screen, polyphonic ringtones and kept all the functions of the T68i at a slightly higher price (T68i costs nowadays about 129 euros so this model would have cost about 150 euros) then they would have had a real winner because not all of us need a camera but do want bluetooth connectivity and calender syncing.

As for the price 444 euros is NOT cheap (though it appears the cheapest of these socalled smartphones) and contracts like you mentioned are non-excistent here (Belgium). I believe in Holland they do have such contracts. Perhaps some fellows from the Netherlands can confirm this.
nice to see another belgian on the forums here :)

as i said before, those contracts are inflicting with current laws. Politicians here can't even make a decision about 2000 jobs, let's not ask them to change the mobile contract pollicy or the whole country will be in chaos :o

TomJ
30-10-2004, 09:47 AM
you propably know the saying: "Where smoke is there's bound to be fire"(it sounds much better in Dutch: "Waar rook is, is vuur")

FWIW, in English it's usually rendered "There's no smoke without fire".

alexandra_v
30-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Allexandra, you use a picture of a Nokia 6600-series phone. Does that imply that you own or use one?

If you do. Then perhaps you are well fit to comment on the differences and quality between both a Nokia and a Sendo X

Regards,

epdm

Yes i own and use a Nokia 6600 for a year now. I had a very big interest on Sendo X thats why everyones comments and remarks over this phone are valuable to me :) :)

mart_is_good
30-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Also what makes a Smartphone a smart phone?

You asked this before in another thread and I answered. How can you say a K700i is just as flexible as Sendo X? It is obvious you know nothing.

SPEEDMAN
30-10-2004, 04:54 PM
mart c'mon, no need for those posts, let's keep this a friendly forum, k ? :)

swing
31-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Also what makes a Smartphone a smart phone?
Normally the ability to install third party apps that interact with the whole phone - ie not just Java apps sitting in a directory with little access to modify the phone's default behaviour
I mean I could sync my old T68i also with outlook, it too had a notes-function, it also had voice commands, bluetooth, themes etc... In fact it had everything except for the entertaimetn features like polyphonic ringtones, MP3, camcorder, camera etc... So I don't see why a lets say SE K700i would be less flexible then a Sendo X or Siemens SX1. In that respect, it's no less flexible, however on the K700i I can't get the phone to change the background image simply because I've arrived at work, or change the colour scheme of the phone when I select a different profile - yes, some things are possible, but the additional software you can install to a Smartphone means you can do even more (if you want to of course!)

epdm
31-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Normally the ability to install third party apps that interact with the whole phone - ie not just Java apps sitting in a directory with little access to modify the phone's default behaviour
In that respect, it's no less flexible, however on the K700i I can't get the phone to change the background image simply because I've arrived at work, or change the colour scheme of the phone when I select a different profile - yes, some things are possible, but the additional software you can install to a Smartphone means you can do even more (if you want to of course!)

Ofcourse this all depends on whether your affordmentioned app works in this phone which is more often not or not fully regarding the Sendo X.

Again I believe the only thing in favour of the Sendo is it's price though Siemens SX1 can be found cheaper though I don't know whether that'll be more worthwhile.

Anyway I demand an expensise phone to be BETTER then average regarding functionality and for phones this expensive expectations are indeed high. I guess ppl wouldn't complain so much if the Sendo wasn't so expensive.

I also think if you do something you ought to do it good and if you can't then DON'T do it. So if the ppl at Sendo can't build e.g. a good cam for their phones then just ditch cams altogether. Concentrate on the stuf your good at. But with regards to the Sendo X I have the feeling it (suposedly) can do a lot if only at average level. So the Sendo X deserves no more than an average pricetag.

Regards,

Manu