View Full Version : Sendo X now available in (some) Vodafone stores.

moo_ski_doo
23-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Just been to a couple of Vodafone shops in town and the Sendo X has finally appeared in one of them (Clumber Street in Nottingham if you're interested.) I'm sure it'll be in lots of other stores in other UK towns too :)

Unfortunately, the deals aren't anywhere near as good as on the internet and it seems that you can't keep your number if you do it on the internet so I'm a bit stuck really :( Why do they make it some damn awkward to keep your number?

-M.

SPEEDMAN
23-10-2004, 04:20 PM
in Belgium they made a law that's it illegal to enforce the client to change his number.

every operator is obliged to give the service of keeping your old number.

cjb204
23-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi. Same situation here: Vodafone in Cambridge have it, but the tariff is awful.

pay 30 for the phone, then 30/mo
pay 70 for the phone, then 20/mo

(Both for twelve months)

in comparison with the online store, pay 30 for the phone, then 18/mo.

So, it's not much of a contest, and I walked away downheartedly and will buy it from the online store now. :)

- Chris.

SPEEDMAN
23-10-2004, 04:23 PM
just buy it, buy 2 or even better: 3 :afraid:

moo_ski_doo
23-10-2004, 04:45 PM
I'd love to buy it but I really can't be bothered with the hassle of changing my number yet again. Also, I can't justify wasting money on an in-store tarrif that I could get cheaper online. Wish we had the same law they have in Belgium!

SPEEDMAN
24-10-2004, 12:12 AM
i must add that this law doesn't apply to pre-paid-card-numbers...

stuclark
24-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Has anyone played with a Voda handset yet? Can anyone confirm the firmware version? (it's newer isn't it kev?)

jac57
24-10-2004, 03:46 PM
got them in chelmsford essex. but not interested as i have had my sendo x since sept got it from france

euphoriauk
25-10-2004, 01:31 PM
The whole thing about not being able to change your number (by the way it's called Mobile Number Portability or MNP for short) isn't so much to do with laws in the UK but more lekely to do with what set-up the online retailer has.
Most online retailers have a distributor who they order from in bulk and do not have the manpower or administration budgets to handle arranging the "port" your number from one service provider to another or adjust accounts.
Go to one of the larger online stores (who may also have a high street presence) such as the link, carphone warehouse etc. and you may have better success in being able to "port" your number as they are more likely to have the ability to do this.
Anyway 30 smartphone plus 30 a month is damn good coz you see a lot of normal "feature" phones which cost more than that. Bear in mind the phone on it's own is about 300 (aka 500euro) now (or was last time i looked).

moo_ski_doo
25-10-2004, 10:46 PM
I've been looking out for other online stores stocking this phone but at the moment you only seem to be able to get it direct from Vodafone; hopefully this will change soon.

Also, I agree that 30 on a 30pcm contract isn't too bad, but that doesn't change the fact that it IS cheaper on the internet, so if I did go for that deal I'd still always feel cheated somehow.

marctwok
27-10-2004, 12:05 PM
I went and had a play with one at my local Voda store today. I have been waiting for this phone a long time now and was quite excited. First impressions were that it is quite thick, although I quite liked the form factor and in general the phone looked great.

Things went downhill from there. Tried to launch pinball and got a message saying it was out of memory. Took a photo which worked ok but then tried to shoot some video. Apart from the viewfinder not working and half the screen covered in random coloured noise it seems to shoot something but then just sat there saying 'saving clip'. I must have shot all of 1-2 seconds worth but I waited 30 seconds and nothing happened. I managed to access the main menu but then the phone just rebooted for no reason. As I didn't know the PIN I decided I had seen enough to make my decision about the X. Shame really, it looked like a great phone.

stuclark
27-10-2004, 01:09 PM
You must have played with a dodgy handset, I've never seen one behave the way you describe.

euphoriauk
27-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I went and had a play with one at my local Voda store today. I have been waiting for this phone a long time now and was quite excited. First impressions were that it is quite thick, although I quite liked the form factor and in general the phone looked great.

Things went downhill from there. Tried to launch pinball and got a message saying it was out of memory. Took a photo which worked ok but then tried to shoot some video. Apart from the viewfinder not working and half the screen covered in random coloured noise it seems to shoot something but then just sat there saying 'saving clip'. I must have shot all of 1-2 seconds worth but I waited 30 seconds and nothing happened. I managed to access the main menu but then the phone just rebooted for no reason. As I didn't know the PIN I decided I had seen enough to make my decision about the X. Shame really, it looked like a great phone.
Sounds like the store advisors have already crammed the phone with a lot of applications or a lot of apps being used at the same time, or too many files. The pinball comes preinstalled it would only have problems if there wasn't enough memory. Also the video is relative to amount of memory and the resolution, frame-rate and memory available.
Try a fresh phone or uninstall some apps and files or restore to factory default. Then you can appreciate the phone as new.

Kirkton
27-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Got my Vodaphone Sendo X Yesterday and have checked the firmware on it as folk were wanting to know the sw build. The firmware is older than the Expansys Build I can tell you that.
The screen displays the following info

X 1.63.1.2
Release IG
4-Sep-2004
Pn: 8G26-0H010-024X4
SPN: 0000-00000-00000
(c) Sendo 2004
IG: 3.4
IG: Vodaphone UK 1.11
GSM SW Ver: 04.33

I feel a little disappointed that the vodaphone build wasn't the latest but haven't seen any problems with it yet. Now all the expansys buyers will be able to gloat as there phone sw is more upto date.

stuclark
27-10-2004, 06:37 PM
It's probable that the Voda firmware is slightly older (by 3 days if memory serves correctly) because it had more testing than the Expansys release. In my opinion, the Expansys firmware isn't the best one to have, it was slightly less stable overall than the 1.56.2.2 release (previous public release) - I hope the Voda release is more stable, and I'm sure the upcoming 60D release will be great :)