View Full Version : Sendo X + Route66

gmanca
21-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm trying Route66 with a sendo X (latest firmware): it runs without problems, but the font size seems to be wrong, and it becomes almost impossible to read the indications on the phone's display (the text takes more than the available space and part of it is not readable)...
Did anyone find the same problem?? How can I fix it?
Thanks a lot,
Bye,
GM

xerxes
21-09-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm not using Route66 but I am seeing exactly the same problems with Aquacalendar (which is a shame as it looks like a pretty good piece of software on a 6600).

I would also like to know how to reduce the displayed font size

plinkykev
21-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Can you guys please post some screenshots to show the problem? Thanks

xerxes
21-09-2004, 08:48 PM

I don't have Aquacalendar installed anymore and I actually don't know how to take a screenshot from my phone - but you can download a one week trial of the software from the mysymbian shop.

http://shop.my-symbian.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=695&javaDevice=60Series&jid=35BE2F26F17E7318D79373D639FF7133&currency=O2&platformId=4&productType=2&productId=140122&sectionId=0&catalog=20&topSectionId=-1

So you can take a look.

SPEEDMAN
22-09-2004, 06:28 AM
i'm sry to say (i don't mean to make any trouble here)

but route66 is a really bad program.

the design isn't good, the program is faulty (sends you the wrong way, can't calculate another route when road is blocked, says turn right here when exit has allready been passed) and what's more: the fonts are badly designed. :icon13:

so i think it's rather a route66 problem than a Sendo prob.

fender79
22-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Speedman, I've been looking for a program like route 66, what do you suggest???

Cash
22-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Being as this thread is about navigation software, an a slightly different note,

does anybody know if trafcam (www.trafcam.com) works with the sendo, I have read that it should work with series 60 phones (it works on the 6600)

Its basically a UK gps speedtrap detector

Thanx

fender79
22-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Anyone using wayfinder on sendo??

pelwell
22-09-2004, 08:05 AM
TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com/) (used to be Palmtop) have just released TomTom MOBILE, a navigation package that looks very similar to Route 66.

I don't work for TomTom, and I haven't tried MOBILE, but I do have and like EnRoute (a previous TomTom navigation packet) on the Psion netBook, so MOBILE might be worth a look.

gmanca
22-09-2004, 08:34 AM
i'm sry to say (i don't mean to make any trouble here)

but route66 is a really bad program.

the design isn't good, the program is faulty (sends you the wrong way, can't calculate another route when road is blocked, says turn right here when exit has allready been passed) and what's more: the fonts are badly designed. :icon13:

so i think it's rather a route66 problem than a Sendo prob.

I don't know I olny used it for a couple of hours, just trying to understand if it's good.....
The best alternative should be tomtom citymaps but it doesn't work on the sendo....
I'll send the screenshots as soon as I can....

Bye,
GM

SPEEDMAN
22-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Dear Sendo users,

i would advise you WAyfinder. I have it and it works wonderfully.

Tomtom mobile has also been released, but i have no experience with it.

The difference between both is the updating and the use of maps. Wayfinder is constantly being updated and uses no cards with maps on.

Wayfinder downloads routes to where you can drive and calculates the way to go on the gps coordinates received from the bluetooth GPS.

Tomtom mobile has cards of countries that can be used to calculate routes. But if a route is closed, if there is traffic, if the road has been changed, nobody will know about it with tomtom mobile and you can get seriously stuck !!!

wayfinder will include trafic information at a little extra cost and give you another route so you can avoid traffic. Also when the road is changed, wayfinder will be updated.
I don't know how it works with Tomtom mobile, but you don't download maps so hey can't be updated, can they...

this positive point is also a negative one, since you have to download the routes, giving you GPRS costs.
A route is only 10-15kb maximum, so i wouldn't worry too much about it, but you do have extra costs.

also a subscription to wayfinder costs yearly 140. The first year comes free with the package. What is cool is that wayfinder promised me my subscription will start as soon as the version for the sendo x works perfectly. They aren't happy with the quality. They probably mean also the cracking in the sound.

so actually my first year of subscription should still start :D :icon14:

with wayfinder you can call the service centre at zonal cost and you get connected to the centre in skandinavia. You can ask them for the nearest shop or hotel and they will guide you with wayfinder by sending you the route.

one time i needed a pharmacy and i entered: pharmacy. they gave me 3 pharmacies with information about distance. One was at 700 meters, one at 1,5 km and one at 5km. so that's pretty cool as well.

i never saw tom tom mobile though, but i know someone who works for that company. So if you need info about it, put it here and i will do the necessary contacts.

any questions, please ask me here.

regards
speedman

Interblat
22-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Those of you in Europe are lucky that you even have a choice in navigation GPS software. Here in America there is nothing for Series 60 -- no Wayfarer, no TomTom, etc. There are a couple good standalone GPS programs, but nothing with maps and navigation.

gmanca
22-09-2004, 04:43 PM

Hello, here are the screenshots, what can the problem be??
Thanks,
Bye,
GM

SPEEDMAN
22-09-2004, 08:59 PM
that looks pretty bad dude :frown:

i would contact Route 66 for that matter ! i know other people have problems with route 66 on the sendo, but this i never saw ! :con?

Mordred 660
23-06-2005, 05:11 PM
bump - any update on this? looking for a gps software solution myself...

Nikyzf
24-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I don't know I olny used it for a couple of hours, just trying to understand if it's good.....
The best alternative should be tomtom citymaps but it doesn't work on the sendo....
I'll send the screenshots as soon as I can....

Bye,
GM

Steve at 3-Lib has an excellent section on GPS/Mapping on various EPOC/Symbian devices. TomTom does indeed seem to be the one to go for, but not on the Sendo, as you say.
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/gps.htm

Mordred 660
25-06-2005, 01:37 PM
@gmanca - were you able to solve your test probelm?

@kev - i see something similar...