View Full Version : missing infrared

willyboy666
04-08-2004, 02:43 AM
i didnt read anything about infrared?? does it have infrared port?

Delta737
04-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Don't think so, just like the Nokia 7610 it lacks IR

garcons50
09-08-2004, 04:22 AM
I've seen a lot of people inquiring about IR in 7610 & 6630, but i fail to understand why. When you have BT, why would you need IR? Am i missing something?

siewmai
09-08-2004, 05:37 AM
I've seen a lot of people inquiring about IR in 7610 & 6630, but i fail to understand why. When you have BT, why would you need IR? Am i missing something?
Anyway is IR safer then BT?

Delta737
09-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Some people only have IR (on their laptop/PDA/other phone) so I guess that's why some people might want it.

IR is safer IMO, but BT is more advanced... I like BT very much, I would never buy a phone without anymore...

garcons50
10-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Why would you say IR is safer. Till date, BT hasnt been prone to viruses other than the cabir virus which didnt do any harm.
BT is so advanced, ever since i started using BT, i've even forgotten what IR stands for. ;-)

I remember when i had my N7250 and an IR port on the desktop, even if i moved the phone a little, it would loose connection, whereas with BT, even when i'm in the other room, i can transfer files with no problem. If its at a greater dist, the speed reduces, but atleast the files are transferred.

Delta737
10-08-2004, 06:27 AM
As I said, BT is more advanced (including the fact that it doesn't need an eye-to-eye connection). But have you ever heard of bluejacking and bluesnarffing. As I said, I like BT better, but IR is safer!

willbrady
10-08-2004, 08:01 PM
If you only make your blutooth availible when transfering files - whats the problem??
Why not set your bluetooths visibility to invisible, or if your in a public place you can turn bluetooth off.
Even so - I don't see bluejacking as a problem, the user needs to accept any connection or download first, so you would ignore it would'nt you if you were worried about it.

Don't beleive the press hype...........

garcons50
11-08-2004, 06:22 AM
As I said, BT is more advanced (including the fact that it doesn't need an eye-to-eye connection). But have you ever heard of bluejacking and bluesnarffing. As I said, I like BT better, but IR is safer!
Yes have heard of Bluejacking, but i didnt find it dangerous at all. infact i tried it a couple of times too. The best part of having a Nokia is that when someone tries to BJ you, a msg will display on your Nokia whether you want to accept or deny, but on the other hand if you have a Sony Ericsson, there is no message, and the vcard is downloaded immed.

And if you want to avoid that, its best to use the BT only while transferring files and have it switched off otherwise. Plus having BT on 24/7 sucks up a lot of battery power too.

So i dont think you can say that IR is safe and BT isnt.

Delta737
11-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Look guys, I personally don't mind about the security flaws in BT, I LOVE BT! I always have BT on, visible mode, as I said I don't mind. But it is a fact that BT more unsafe.

And you don't need to accept anything with bluejacking, it just sends a vcard (which the other phone automatically accepts), I must admit I've done it myself once (and it is very much fun:)) so I didn't get it from a press hype.

garcons50
11-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Look guys, I personally don't mind about the security flaws in BT, I LOVE BT! I always have BT on, visible mode, as I said I don't mind. But it is a fact that BT more unsafe.

And you don't need to accept anything with bluejacking, it just sends a vcard (which the other phone automatically accepts), I must admit I've done it myself once (and it is very much fun:)) so I didn't get it from a press hype.
Delta,

You surely have to accept the Vcard in Nokia phones. I've tried it myself, and without accepting the Nokia doesnt download the vcard automatically. You should try it one more time with another Nokia in front of you.

Yeah BJ is surely fun ;)

jazzy1
22-09-2004, 08:51 AM
After All This.

Plz Confirm It Have Ir Or Not

Plz Guys.

I Really Need That.

andythe1
22-09-2004, 02:32 PM
After All This.

Plz Confirm It Have Ir Or Not

Plz Guys.

I Really Need That.

It do NOT have IR!

alexandra_v
10-10-2004, 10:37 AM

Garcons50 I am for BT but with my 6600 i had extreme problems to connect to PC Suite. After a time there was a period i couldnt connect throught my BT at all with PC Suite...i run all the advises in the relevant subject in the forum but nothing, nada, niente. So by the end i was forced to use the IR to make use of PC Suite. Now if similar problems occur with the provided software of Nokia for 6630...then yes...IR would be needed...but if i am correct the phone is also coming out with a USB cable....that would also be a solution in case of BT failure.

jazzy1
10-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Garcons50 I am for BT but with my 6600 i had extreme problems to connect to PC Suite. After a time there was a period i couldnt connect throught my BT at all with PC Suite...i run all the advises in the relevant subject in the forum but nothing, nada, niente. So by the end i was forced to use the IR to make use of PC Suite. Now if similar problems occur with the provided software of Nokia for 6630...then yes...IR would be needed...but if i am correct the phone is also coming out with a USB cable....that would also be a solution in case of BT failure.
ok !

Vicky
10-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Yes Off Couse Alexandra,
In case of Bt Failure u can use the Popport and the main thing that we won't spend money on buying data cable.
I really like this thing that nokia is giving the data cable with smart phones like 7610,6630 and with coming 9500.
now i hope that nokia should start Bluetooth handsfree also in the Box.

jazzy1
10-10-2004, 01:56 PM
This Is A Dream.

Vicky
10-10-2004, 02:04 PM
No This is not I think Nokia will surely give Bluetooth handsfree with the Phone in the Sale Package.In the Coming Future.

jazzy1
10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
ok let see
what happen.

sek
10-10-2004, 06:12 PM
hello and thanks for your information, i like it, it is very important

alexandra_v
11-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Well if Nokia gives a BT handsfree within teh sale spackages i think that makes the phone even more tempting that it already is!! And it is already very tempting!! Thank you for the info :)

Vicky
11-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Well i think it happens bcoz u must have heard abt the new nokia phone 7710.
it is having a loudspeaker and u can take with the handsfree.
No side or any other way to talk.
so nokia must give in the sales package .

jazzy1
11-10-2004, 09:11 AM
U R Right.

alexandra_v
11-10-2004, 12:01 PM
It seems right and i hope it turns like this.