View Full Version : converting mp3 to AAc?

Vicky
04-07-2004, 06:51 PM
is there any program come which convert mp3 to aac
and cut mp3 easily

Unity555
04-07-2004, 06:56 PM
is there any program come which convert mp3 to aac
and cut mp3 easily

U can try to use MP3 AUdioconverter to convert mp3 to aac and use mp3 trim to cut mp3 which i m using now. thx..

Vicky
04-07-2004, 07:13 PM
from where i can download it

nk_au
06-07-2004, 05:38 AM
You could burn your favourite MP3s onto a CD, and use Nokia Audio Manager to rip them to AAC 64kbps.

What I do, is use DB Amp Power Convertor and convert all my songs to (still mp3 format):
Encoding: Constant Bitrate
Bit Rate: 24 Kbps
Channels: Mono
Frequency: 16000 Hz

Hope that helps!

GhostDog
06-07-2004, 12:53 PM
You could burn your favourite MP3s onto a CD, and use Nokia Audio Manager to rip them to AAC 64kbps.

Or,you could just use Nero to make a Image,mount it and fool Nokia Audio Manager that its a real CD or even simpler,you could use Easy CD-DA Extractor for a direct conversion.

nk_au
06-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Or,you could just use Nero to make a Image,mount it and fool Nokia Audio Manager that its a real CD or even simpler,you could use Easy CD-DA Extractor for a direct conversion.
You'll have to teach me that soon. I can't stand burning music to CDs then ripping them to AAC format again thru Nokia Audio Manager ...

*faints*

GhostDog
06-07-2004, 02:48 PM
You can find a small guide here. (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21167)If you need more details,let me know.

Pajamation
10-07-2004, 12:46 AM
You could easily use iTunes to rip/convert from mp3 to AAC as well. It will also allow you to edit the files; are you using Mac or Windows? Mac has a program called SoundConverter you can use to edit if you don't want to use Quicktime. Windows has too many to mention but I normally will use Nero Wav Editor on my Windows box.

GhostDog
10-07-2004, 01:41 AM
I believe that iTunes encodes in to mpeg4 AAC only.Can the 7610 play mpeg4 AAC or just mpeg2 like the N-Gage?

Pajamation
10-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Nokia lists the playback as "Viewing formats: 3GPP, MPEG-4, H.263, Real Video." My-symbian lists the following formats as supported multimedia: "AMR, WAV, MIDI, AU, Real Audio, Real Video, MPEG-4, AAC, MP3." I haven't tested an iTunes AAC file on my 7610 but apparently it should support the expected playback. I'll test and post my findings.

nk_au
10-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Problem with iTunes is, they converted all my MP3s to M4As. Don't know why it did that. I even selected "AAC 64kbps" in Options/Preferences

DB Power Amp Convertor is unreliable in converting MP3 to AAC.

As i'm using the 7610, i'm converting all my favourite MP3 to a lower bit rate and mono sound :D

GhostDog
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Nokia lists the playback as "Viewing formats: 3GPP, MPEG-4, H.263, Real Video.

Those are video formats,not audio,the second ones you listed are audio.

Problem with iTunes is, they converted all my MP3s to M4As.

Because M4A is mpeg4 AAC.I believe the 7610 can only play mpeg2 AAC.

bertq60
14-07-2004, 07:28 PM
If you really do care about file size, I recommand you to use .ogg files. The compression rate is better than AAC, and it is very easy (with CDex for example) to create file in mono.
OggPlay is a freeware open source SW that can play those .ogg files on S60 phones.

On 6620 and 7610, it also can play AAC and MP3. If you have one of these phones, (and want to play either AAC or MP3) use this link:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86146

If you do not have 6620 or 7610 Nokia phones, or do not care about MP3/AAC, the official version is probably better (works with all S60 phones):
http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/

Evobit has made some nice skins for OggPlay, take a look there:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25511

fauji
26-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi,

Are AAC better/lower quality than MP3?

Are they smaller/larger files than MP3?

If someone only needed to listen to music files occassionally with a hands-free set, which is the one to go for in terms of 'reasonable quality'?

Thanks.

nk_au
27-07-2004, 08:42 AM
AAC 64kbps is equivalent to the quality of a MP3 128kbps

However, an AAC 64kbps would be smaller (considerably!) than a MP3 128kbps

Not too sure about a handsfree set. I'm still waiting to test my HDS-3 Stereo Dual Headset on my 7610 :)

jey_son_999
22-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I Actually Prefer Using Mp3 Files For Music On My 7610... But I Convert My Mp3 Files To Mono At 16kbps. I Can Turn A 3mb Mp3 File To Just At Least 500kb. Comparing The Quality With Aac Files Its Basically Just The Same... Try It Out And Send Me Any Comments!!!

angelyin
23-08-2004, 12:52 PM
I use DietMp3 to compress the Mp3 files to smaller size and the sound quality is also gd. Any difference between this & aac files?

fauji
26-08-2004, 02:48 PM
hi,

i've been converting mp3's to aac for my 7610 with db poweramp. i too have found it very unreliable. which free software will allow me to convert aac's reliably?

i've also noticed that the aac's, when played on my 7610, do not allow the pause function. is anyone else experienceing this; the pause option becomes unselectable...?

thanks

Angeline
27-08-2004, 08:42 PM
can aac files be converted to truetone(like a few seconds) using nokia audio manager? can teach me?

GhostDog
28-08-2004, 01:15 AM
can aac files be converted to truetone(like a few seconds) using nokia audio manager? can teach me?
I don't know.

SQueeZe
22-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi All

I spent hours looking for ways to convert my existing MP3 collection to AAC without luck. I tried dbpoweramp, but it crashed all the time. i cant be arsed with this nero image drive stuff.

so i wrote one myself. well kind of.

i found 2 command line programs, one converts mp3 to wave and the other converts wave to aac.

So basically i have made a front end to these. you simply drag the mp3s onto the program, select the output path and quality and then click 'reencode'
it then creates a wave file, then an aac file and then takes the ID3 info from the mp3 and dumps it into the aac.

I have only just finished it so it is probably buggy as hell, but it is currently converting all my mp3s as we speak.

If anybody is interested let me know. if there is enough interest i will tidy it up and post it here.

Ian_Penzance
27-09-2004, 10:43 AM
It's simpler than that.
Nokia Audio Manager looks as though it will only work with tracks on an audio CD.
That isn't right. If you use the "file" option and select "Add Tracks" , you can work with any mp3 files on your computer hard disc. It will convert them to Aac. There is no need to burn a CD or work with any other software.

SQueeZe
27-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Ian

I dont understand what you mean....

There is no 'Add Tracks' in my file menu.

I can click on the 'add' button and then select some mp3s but they arent converted to aac when they are transferred to the phone....

Could you give some more detailed instructions please?

Thanks
Kevin

GhostDog
27-09-2004, 02:41 PM
i don't know if Ian is correct about his assumption that you can convert MP3 to AAC directly since i don't use Nokia Audio Manager any more.This is the way i used to do it with Nokia Audio Manager: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159981&postcount=3

SQueeZe
27-09-2004, 03:26 PM
No, I dont think he is right. At least I hope not otherwise I have spent hours writing this software for nothing.....

Anyway, i also dont like the nero image drive way. Its annoying as you can only do one CD at once and I am guessing you lose all the track names if you do a compilation or anything and also its quite slow.

My program is small, doesnt have any unnecessary features. Its a one step process, you maintain the ID3 tags. Its great if i may say so myself. It is also extremely fast. it encodes about 10x on my athlon 1400.

I have almost finished testing so I am going to release it in the next couple of days.

GhostDog
27-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Good news,looking forward to it!

SQueeZe
28-09-2004, 06:27 PM
righty then, its here:

http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/kevin/MP3AACConv/MP3AACConv.zip

Its written in VB .NET so I'm afraid you will need the framework if you dont have it. I believe it comes with XP service pack 2. if you dont have it you can get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

Its dead easy, just unzip the files and then run Nokia MP3 - AAC Converter.exe.

let me know of any bugs, suggestions etc etc.

SQueeZe
28-09-2004, 06:28 PM
btw you need to drag folders/files or mp3s from windows explorer onto the white pane in the middle to add them.

zainman
29-09-2004, 05:27 PM
hey squeeze, i downloaded the zip file but after extracting it when i doulbeclick on tha converter thing, windows gives an error.. n i dint completely get the instruction readme file, cud u explain please? 'the application failed to intialize' what do i do after extracting the files? do i need to download any other file? i already have service pack 2 for windows xp

SQueeZe
29-09-2004, 05:34 PM
hmmm, yes the instructions could probably use some work. anyway, it may need the .net framework which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

try downloading that (its 23mb i'm afraid, i hope you have broadband!)

I thought I read somewhere that service pack 2 had it included but perhaps not..... let me know if you have any more problems.

SQueeZe

zainman
29-09-2004, 05:38 PM
ohh cmon! another 23mb? man! y cant they just include everything in the service packs? well if ur not sure cud u please find out? anyone else.. can u help? is that really what i need?

SQueeZe
29-09-2004, 05:49 PM
i cant try it on any other of my pcs as they all have the framework installed....

i'm really sorry, I did in .net because I am learning it at the moment :-(

if anybody else has the answer......

SQueeZe
29-09-2004, 07:07 PM
I have created a homepage with some clearer instructions here:

http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/kevin/MP3AACConv/

GhostDog
30-09-2004, 02:22 PM
What is the AAC quality bar in reference to,its not Kbps right?It would be a lot better if it was Kbps.There is a out.wav file left ofter conversion,maybe it should be automatically deleted.

SQueeZe
05-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks for trying it GhostDog, much appreciated. I will change it so that it deletes the wave file.

as for the quality, I think it is FAAC's ABR setting so it isnt always perfect, but it should be reasonable. Dont want to give it an exact kbs as that would mean changing it to CBR which would decrease the quality.

Thanks again

Kevin

GhostDog
05-10-2004, 01:48 PM
No problem,keep up the good work!

Nyxmorph
21-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Hello,

only read this thread quite a good un will have to try the MP3 to AAC.

I happen to be a .NET programmer (I do VB.NET and ASP.NET). The .NET framework is included in SP2 for XP. But this is only definately in the full install version. It may be possible to do one of those minimum updates over the internet which doesn't include the .NET framework which could explain problems people are having. But machines here with the service pack now all have .NET on.

Hope this helps, cheers,
Nyx.

PaulRobo
16-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Every time i click on a track (click add track, then choose the file i want to add) in nokia audio manager it comes up with an error and closes. I have re installed pc suite over and over but again still no joy. I am trying to get some decent sounds onto my nokia 6670.

raj07
18-11-2004, 06:50 PM
If its supporting MP3 tones then is it required to convert
:icon4:

zainman
19-11-2004, 11:39 AM
conversion is required to reduce the size as AAC are smaller files than MP3s

PaulRobo
19-11-2004, 01:08 PM

I have used this to convert some mp3s but i find that a few of them will not play on my phone at all, but when i put them over as mp3's they are fine. I have deleted the tracks and converted them again but i still get the same error when trying to use them on my phone. I was putting them as ring tones, but it says ring tone format not accepted or whatever. But most of them are fine

Mike vd Merwe
19-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Im in serious need 4 the mp3 to aac converter, Ive been downloading programs 4 how long now but still can't get it right please could u help me in getting your program

Vicky
20-11-2004, 09:01 AM
i think this may help you.

http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=convert+mp3+to+aac&tg=dl-2001&part=opera&subj=windows&tag=search

phatomboy
23-11-2004, 04:36 AM
anyway to work ard the 1 sided sound output thingy?

hans-jürgen
29-11-2004, 11:06 AM
i've been converting mp3's to aac for my 7610 with db poweramp. i too have found it very unreliable. which free software will allow me to convert aac's reliably?
dBpowerAMP uses the old PsyTEL FastEnc as default AAC codec, but this beta version was never tested for low bitrates, it only works reliable for presets -normal and above (~160 kbps/stereo). If you go to the dBpowerAMP Codec central (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm), you will find several AAC/MP4 codecs, among them FAAC which should work reliable for lower bitrates.

But the GUI implementation in dBpowerAMP does not offer all FAAC options available in the command line version, so you might want to try other GUIs that have implemented FAAC: foobar2000 with foo_faac.dll plugin (the best in my opinion), Winamp 5.0x (either with internal or external AAC plugin), winLAME (no MP4 support, only AAC, but very easy to use), GX::Transcoder (needs faac.exe, too), Speek's "Ivan & Menno" (simple, but very effective for batch encoding from WAV) or Multi frontend from the same developer (direct transcoding from MP3), XMPlay, CoolEdit, CDex and HeadAC3he.

You can find more information about the open source codecs FAAC and FAAD2 (decoder) on their homepage (http://www.audiocoding.com/) and on the Knowledge Base/Wiki pages (http://www.audiocoding.com/modules/wiki/?page=FAAC) about them, see also the Wiki page about software audio players for Windows (including converters).

i've also noticed that the aac's, when played on my 7610, do not allow the pause function. is anyone else experienceing this; the pause option becomes unselectable...?
Sorry, I don't have an answer for that.

hans-jürgen
30-11-2004, 07:41 AM
By the way, is there a table or overview available somewhere which Series 60 phones (or any mobile phones) are able to play AAC and/or MP4 files, either through hardware or software support like the RealPlayer 10? I couldn't find it on this site either, but it would be very useful for interested users in my opinion.

medasa
05-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I've been using dBpowerAMP Converter but as it seems its MP3 encoder is a trial version and after 30 days can not be used anymore. :frown:
I was using this application to set my mp3s to 40kbps, using 16000hz sampling but now it's not working anymore.

What do you suggest me to do?

Vicky
16-01-2005, 04:28 PM

Too Good
I just tried converting aac to my 7710.
Wht u are using to get Good Quality and Compact memory.

sferson
20-01-2005, 12:15 AM
:con?

I've copied a couple of mp4 audio files to my phone. To explain for anyone who doesn't get it - the MPEG-4 standard is a set of rules for creating audio/video files. AAC and MP4 are a couple of formats that adhere to these rules (in fact MP4 is just an AAC raw audio file with a "wrapper").

Anyway, I send an MPEG-4 Audio file to my 7610 and it plays fine. The problem is that Real One Player and Symbian treat it as a video and I therefore can't use it as a ringtone. Can anyone tell me if AAC's have this problem too or any way to make the phone recognise mp4 as video .

In case this doesn't make sense....

mp4 = video, audio, or both
m4a = audio
m4v = video (presumably - i'm not sure)

There's also m4p I think, an extension Apple invented to indicate that it was an M4A with Digital Rights Management.

Anyone... ? :con? :con? :con?

fauna5
17-02-2005, 12:01 AM
:con?

I've copied a couple of mp4 audio files to my phone. To explain for anyone who doesn't get it - the MPEG-4 standard is a set of rules for creating audio/video files. AAC and MP4 are a couple of formats that adhere to these rules (in fact MP4 is just an AAC raw audio file with a "wrapper").

Anyway, I send an MPEG-4 Audio file to my 7610 and it plays fine. The problem is that Real One Player and Symbian treat it as a video and I therefore can't use it as a ringtone. Can anyone tell me if AAC's have this problem too or any way to make the phone recognise mp4 as video .

In case this doesn't make sense....

mp4 = video, audio, or both
m4a = audio
m4v = video (presumably - i'm not sure)

There's also m4p I think, an extension Apple invented to indicate that it was an M4A with Digital Rights Management.

Anyone... ? :con? :con? :con?

AAC files play fine on my 7610. I can even use them as ringtones.

You have to be careful when encoding aac files to play on the mobile - it seems to play BOTH MPEG4 and MPEG2 standard types but only in "Low Complexity" formats. (that's what seems to work for me - i've tried using various tools to convert but only some work, presumably because they all use different standards of AAC)

AAC is a better codec - in tests at 96k it sounds better than 128k. It also has a smaller filesize (typically reducing my MP3s by 40%).

edifgrto
17-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Hello everyone?! I am neither N7610 nor N6230 user, but Nokia 6600 lover :redface: . Can anyone have any idea how to make my "soap" like 6600 to play AAC files? My effort for trying this are as follows:

Question 1.

Tried OggPlay V 1.6.2 installed, said to have AAC plugin and MP3 plugin as well. But after installed. I do not know where to find the AAC and MP3 plugins for this OggPlay application! Can anyone help on this?

Question 2.

Tried Helix Player V 1.00 installed, yet the official released notes said. The AAC feature was not INCLUDED... Any experts here that have made any modification to the Helix Player source codes, so that it can play AAC?

Question 3.

Is there any alternative way to play AAC other than just buying N6230 or N7610 or AAC playable mobile phones? Because, hehehe, i love my "soap" N6600 phone. :tongue:

sferson
18-02-2005, 09:59 AM
AAC is a better codec - in tests at 96k it sounds better than 128k. It also has a smaller filesize (typically reducing my MP3s by 40%).

If you're encoding at 96k AAC (assuming a constant bitrate) from 128k MP3s you'll save 25%. The k(bps) is the size of one second of your file so by multiplying this number by the length you get the file size, ergo the same file will be 96/128 = 3/4 times the the size of the original.

Interesting note about the AAC files though, I might try them since the M4A files didn't work so well on my 7610.

nork
22-05-2005, 04:59 PM
convert real audio to mp3 with the streambox ripper
download the streambox ripper at its new location at
http://www.streamboxripper.net/

sferson
23-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Not sure about that last post - looks a wee bit dodgy.

The Cheetah Audio converter is one I downloaded to encode MP3s. It won't convert them to AAC's but it's a good converter if you have a load of WMA rubbish you want to turn into MP3s.

http://www.download.com/3000-2140_4-10280605.html

quicksilver7710
23-05-2005, 01:58 PM
righty then, its here:

http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/kevin/MP3AACConv/MP3AACConv.zip

Its written in VB .NET so I'm afraid you will need the framework if you dont have it. I believe it comes with XP service pack 2. if you dont have it you can get it here:

Its dead easy, just unzip the files and then run Nokia MP3 - AAC Converter.exe.

let me know of any bugs, suggestions etc etc.

Your efforts are truly appreciated, I spent many an hour looking for something as simple and smart as your tool. Thank you for all your efforts you deserve the recognition

samke
03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Try to use Akram Audio Covverter for tranforming mpr into amr and etc.. it works 4 me!:icon14:

serious_shoo
13-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Great problem I also have the same one,:con? I thought someone must know the solution anyways anyone please send me the licsence for smartmovie my IMEI is
on my email
serious_shoo@hotmail.com
my site is
http://www.geocities.com/pyaara_shubham/
My Photo is given down in me2.jpg don't get confused my hair is pure black

mygods
22-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Joy RingTone Converter - Save any part of your favorite mp3s to MMF, AMR, MIDI AAC ringtone

Joy RingTone Converter enables you to create your own ringtones by converting your MP3, WAVE files and CD tracks to the most common Ringtone format, including MMF, AMR, MP3, MIDI, WIDI, WAV, AAC, 3GPand MP4. The contained CD Ripper extracts digital audio CD tracks to audio formats WAV and MP3 with excellent output quality and high ripping speed, and the MP3 Compressor can reduce the MP3 file size up to 30%-70%, save valuable space on your Mobile Phone.

There's also a batch conversion function for converting MP3 or WAV files to RingTones automatically!

congcong06
21-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I am using the Joy Ringtone Converter, google it:
Here... (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&q=convert+mp3+to+aac+joy)

evanstar
26-08-2006, 05:39 PM
i find a ringtone maker
http://www.sharewareguide.net/Audio-Multimedia/Multimedia-Creation-Tools/magix-ringtone-maker.html

riaznizami
03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
hi ppl please visit my link to download
mozilla fire fox
picasa photo organizer
full songs
movies
loads of mobile stuff --free sms
study material
a loads of cool links

here it is
http://www.geocities.com/rznzi4/own.htm

yehaty
08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
many software to convert mp3 to aac. You can see here:
http://www.soft29.com/audio_converter/xilisoft_audio_converter.html

Thomas11
06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
"Nice post! I detected your post stimulating. Thank You! If you are in research of Antivirus software, I will advise you to prefer search-and-destroy software. Good in features.

Thanks a Lot!"