View Full Version : Nokia HTML browser vs. Opera

ntn
14-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Hi all,

What are the major differenxces in between nokia html browser on 7610 and opera on 7610?
which is better?
How come opera requires a data connection and nokia html browser works over WAP GPRS connection?
I have unlimited gprs wap , nokia browser works , opera doesnt so i want to know if its worth it to pay for data connection just to use opera and agile mesenger.

Thanks to all that participate in this great forum.

N/A
14-06-2004, 07:38 PM
The 7610 built-in browser is both a WAP (WML, XHTML) browser and a web (HTML) browser and works using either a WAP access point or an Internet access point. Opera is just a web browser and works only using an Interner access point.

ntn
14-06-2004, 09:28 PM
but the html part of the 7610 browser works over a wap gprs connection, not an internet acess point so why cant opera also?
also which is better in terms of viewing?

N/A
15-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Opera could, if they had written/designed it to work using a WAP access point. They chose not to. Complaints to whatever contact info you find on http://www.opera.com/

ntn
15-06-2004, 09:50 AM
ok thanks. its pretty dumb of opera not to make it work on both , as i believe there is no avantage to an IAP over a WAP access point....
but is opera worth buying compared to 7610 standard html browser?
the nokia browser works ok except that the page is spread out too much (i.e. if i brought up this page on it i would have to scroll through home ,news, devices etc.. (whats on top ) before getting to the text on the bottom) ,so does opera condense it more so it looks more like on a pc?
btw how does opera know wether the acces point is wap or internet if both work the same through gprs?

N/A
15-06-2004, 10:25 AM
With a WAP access point all traffic is routed through the operator's WAP gateway that may or may not do reformatting/processing of data.

Some operators do not allow full web site access through their WAP gateways.

All TCP/IP traffic and apps cannot work through WAP gateways.

ntn
15-06-2004, 10:46 AM
oh ok ,now i understand .thanks.
but its strange that webviewer worked on my 7250 through wap...
anyways looks like im gonna get opera , their small screen rendering thing looks great

N/A
15-06-2004, 12:01 PM
WebViewer uses WAP, goes through the operator's WAP gateway to ReqWireless' proxy/cache server that access the web site, gets the content (if it isn't already in the cache), processes/reformats it on the ReqWireless server, sends it back through the operator's WAP gateway to the phone.

ntn
15-06-2004, 03:32 PM
its a pity opera cant do the same....