View Full Version : Any alternative PC software?

mad@er6
22-11-2001, 07:35 AM
Hello!
My first post and my first day with the guy (9210)!

The first thing I noticed is that Nokia PC Suite *stinks*. It has

-No ability to create backups I can move around; like if I wanna backup one 9210 and put it on another.

-No *clear*, brainless, way to backup individual items like ONLY contacts or ONLY SMSes. I want something like what other software (say, logomanager) does.

Well, that's what i hate about the PC suite so far (8 hours). Does anyone know of something like logomanager *that works* but for 9210? I looked and searched and read but to no avail, anyone knows of an alternative to PC Suite?

N9210
22-11-2001, 09:28 AM
Sort of. I use PC suite to Sync my contacts & calander with Outlook and Lotus Notes, this provides me with my backup for these items. I then use my USB card reader to copy the contacts of my (bulging full) 64Mb MMC - this takes a couple of minutes. Finally I have to use PC Suite to backup the "C" drive of my 9210.
[addsig]

JeP
22-11-2001, 09:30 AM
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
-No ability to create backups I can move around; like if I wanna backup one 9210 and put it on another.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Actually you can backup your data and restore it to another 9210. (i use finnish pc suite so my translations could be.. well)

Go to "file manager" (three books icon)

Take "tools" and "change device"

Work offline and Choose your source devices name (suite loads all files that belong to source 9210)

Choose all files and "Restore all" files to 9210 what is connected

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
-No *clear*, brainless, way to backup individual items like ONLY contacts or ONLY SMSes. I want something like what other software (say, logomanager) does.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

You can copy your "contacts.cdb" from c\system\data to safe place and restore it when you want/need.

mad@er6
22-11-2001, 09:15 PM
N9210 and JeP,
Thanks for the helpfull replies. I'll try ur advices.

BTW, any documents about which 9210 files hold which info? Like, JeP, how did u know that "contacts.cdb" has the contacts? Trial and error or read it in some manual?

Thanks again /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JeP
23-11-2001, 07:45 AM
Like the name says.. Contacts. And i dont know what ".cdb" means but i think ".?DataBase"

There's also "Calendar" as includin Calendar and "Bookmarks" includes Web bookmarks and lot's of other stuff..

Rafe
23-11-2001, 09:03 PM
Its mainly just trial and error. I am planning an alternative user guide for the Nokia 9210.. Would anyone be interested in such a thing. Not a replacement but an addition.

N9210
24-11-2001, 01:05 AM
Sounds like a damn fine Idea. Let me know if you need any help.
[addsig]

mad@er6
24-11-2001, 03:05 AM
Rafe, can't say more than what N9210 said "Sounds like a damn fine Idea. Let me know if you need any help.
" ... i can supply some questions /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rafe
24-11-2001, 11:30 AM
I have created a new thread for suggestion / questions / answers as to what should go in. Guest entries welcomed!

see
<!-- BBCode auto-link start -->http//www.allabouter6.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=252&forum=1&0<!-- BBCode auto-link end -->

Rafe